- What makes a good data visualization – a Data Scientist perspective - Mar 8, 2017.
We examine principles of good data visualization, including some great and terrible examples, guidelines for human perception, focus on key variables, changes and trends, avoiding chart junk, and more.
- Data for Democracy: The First Two Months of D4D - Feb 20, 2017.
Let’s hear about how Data Science is used for democracy and well being of human societies by Data for Democracy organisation.
- How I Detect Fake News, by Tim O’Reilly - Dec 26, 2016.
Read how Tim O'Reilly traced the falsity of one internet meme, and what that teaches us about how an algorithm might do it.
- Data Sources for Cool Data Science Projects - Dec 20, 2016.
One of the biggest obstacles to successful projects has been getting access to interesting data. Here are some more cool public data sources you can use for your next project.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Nov 9-15: #Trump, limits of #prediction; #TensorFlow French-to-English machine translation - Nov 16, 2016.
#Trump, limits of #prediction, and lessons for #DataScience of #polls; A #TensorFlow implementation of French-to-English machine translation using @DeepMindAI ByteNet; 18 top women in #DataScience to follow on Twitter; A complete daily plan for studying to become a #MachineLearning #Engineer
- Trump, The Statistics of Polling, and Forecasting Home Prices - Nov 12, 2016.
Why polling has failed in US Presidential election? The home price index offers an apt comparison inasmuch as sample selection is problematic, equally snagging both election predictions and home price futures.
- Trump, Failure of Prediction, and Lessons for Data Scientists - Nov 9, 2016.
The shocking and unexpected win of Donald Trump of presidency of the United States has once again showed the limits of Data Science and prediction when dealing with human behavior.
- Webinar: Modern Regression Modeling for Voter MicroTargeting, Sep 14, Sep 21 - Sep 7, 2016.
Join us for a special 2-part webinar about voting trends, and we will show how machine learning models and data science can be used in elections.
- Open Data in Elections: Using Visualization and Graphical Discovery Analysis for Voter Education and Civic Engagement - Apr 5, 2016.
This article makes a case for the importance of innovating using open data, its also proves that adapting open data principles with visual design can enhance transparency, foster accountability, and aid citizen and voter education in elections.
- Trump vs Clinton – What are the Odds? - Mar 7, 2016.
Even with 5% advantage for Clinton, statistical analysis and examining how undecided break towards these candidates, we estimate a 25%-30% chance that Trump would be elected president.
- Money vs Votes in New Hampshire Primary – SuperPACs not very effective - Feb 12, 2016.
We examine the money and votes in New Hampshire 2016 Primary. Over $100 million was spent by all campaigns, with hugely varying results, and no apparent correlation between money and votes.
- Money does buy votes, unless you are Jeb Bush - Feb 3, 2016.
Can money buy votes? In Iowa republican caucuses Jeb Bush spent about $2,700/per vote, with little to show. However, without Jeb, there is a strong correlation between money and votes, with $210/vote on average. We also find that spending more time in Iowa does not help.
- Data Mining for Predictive Social Network Analysis – Brazil Elections Case Study - Nov 2, 2015.
Here are the techniques used for a proof-of-concept that effectively analyzed Twitter Trend Topics to predict regional voting patterns in the 2014 Brazilian presidential election.
Pages: 1 2
- Analyze And Visualize Chatter from Nigeria Elections 2015 - Dec 16, 2014.
A visual listening open data platform helps to see the chatter around upcoming Nigeria 2015 election – facts, ideas, topics, issues, statistics, queries – in a bare minimum of words and beautiful imagery.
- Text Mining and Election Analytics in Massachusetts - Oct 24, 2014.
Election season is coming! Take a deeper look at some political dynamics with indico’s political analysis API.