- A Brief History of Artificial Intelligence - Apr 7, 2017.
This post is a brief outline of what happened in artificial intelligence in the last 60 years. A great place to start or brush up on your history.
- The Origins of Big Data - Feb 21, 2017.
Big Data has truly come of age in 2013 when OED introduced the term “Big Data” for the first time. But when was the term Big Data first used and Why? Here are the results of our investigation.
- Data Science & Ancestry - Dec 17, 2016.
Ancestry is curious topic for many people to find out their origin and history. Today, data science is used to help these people to dig into their family history and build the family trees.
- Data Mining History: The Invention of Support Vector Machines - Jul 4, 2016.
The story starts in Paris in 1989, when I benchmarked neural networks against kernel methods, but the real invention of SVMs happened when Bernhard decided to implement Vladimir Vapnik algorithm.
- KDnuggets™ News 16:n23, Jun 29: Machine Learning Trends & Future of AI; Data Science Kaggle Walkthrough; Regularization in Logistic Regression - Jun 29, 2016.
- History of Data Mining - Jun 22, 2016.
Data mining is a subfield of computer science which blends many techniques from statistics, data science, database theory and machine learning. Here are the major milestones and “firsts” in the history of data mining plus how it’s evolved and blended with data science and big data.
- I’ve Been Replaced by an Analytics Robot - May 20, 2015.
A veteran statistician reflects on the journey from a statistician of the past to data scientist of today, how the work he used to do became automated, and what future can data scientists can expect.
- KDnuggets™ News 15:n06, Feb 25: My brief guide to Big Data; Data Scientist 3 wishes; Active Data Mining Blogs - Feb 25, 2015.
My Brief Guide to Big Data; Cartoon: Data Scientist gets 3 wishes for Valentine Day; Active Data Mining, Data Science blogs; Gartner 2015 Magic Quadrant for Advanced Analytics - gainers and losers.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Feb 16-22: History of Data Science across 5 strands; Most Popular Coding Languages of 2015 - Feb 23, 2015.
History of #DataScience across 5 strands; Most Popular Coding Languages of 2015: #Python 31% ...; #BigData reveals how information travels: 8 clusters in Europe; New Face Detection Algorithm to revolutionize search: finding faces no longer unique to humans.
- Top stories for Feb 15-21: 10 things statistics taught us about big data analysis; History of Data Science in 5 strands - Feb 22, 2015.
My Brief Guide to Big Data and Predictive Analytics for non-experts; 10 things statistics taught us about big data analysis; History of Data Science Infographic in 5 strands; Automatic Statistician and the Profoundly Desired Automation for Data Science.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Feb 16-17: Most Popular Coding Languages of 2015; History of Data Science across 5 strands - Feb 18, 2015.
Most Popular Coding Languages of 2015: #Python 31%, Java 20%, C++ 9.8%; History of #DataScience across 5 strands: CS, #Data, #Visualization, Math, Stats; IBM Verse new messaging software will use #Watson to declutter your inbox; Doctors store 1,600 digital #hearts for #BigData study.
- History of Data Science Infographic in 5 strands - Feb 17, 2015.
History of Data Science infographic presents key events in Data Science across 5 strands: Computer Science, Data Technology, Visualization, Mathematics/OR, and Statistics.