- Google Got a Lot of Data About You - Mar 9, 2017.
This article will dive into six types of data that most big tech companies, and especially Google, gather about consumers.
- Machine Learning Meets Humans – Insights from HUML 2016 - Jan 6, 2017.
Report from an important IEEE workshop on Human Use of Machine Learning, covering trust, responsibility, the value of explanation, safety of machine learning, discrimination in human vs. machine decision making, and more.
Pages: 1 2
- Privacy, Security and Ethics in Process Mining - Dec 21, 2016.
Data Privacy, Security and Ethics are hot yet complex topics in the business and data science world. This important article talks about and provide guidelines for privacy, security and ethics, specifically in the context of Process Mining.
Pages: 1 2
- Cartoon: Scary Big Data - Oct 29, 2016.
What do Halloween and Big Data have in common? Both can be scary, as new KDnuggets cartoon shows.
- Data Science for Internet of Things (IoT): Ten Differences From Traditional Data Science - Sep 26, 2016.
The connected devices (The Internet of Things) generate more than 2.5 quintillion bytes of data daily. All this data will significantly impact business processes and the Data Science for IoT will take increasingly central role. Here we outline 10 main differences between Data Science for IoT and traditional Data Science.
- Data Science Challenges - Aug 17, 2016.
This post is thoughts for a talk given at the UN Global Pulse lab in Kampala, and covers the challenges in data science.
Pages: 1 2
- Big Data Will Rule Your Home - Mar 18, 2016.
The "connected home" is the next frontier for Big Data, and soon our lives may be significantly impacted by the analytical firepower from the IoT. Would benefits outweigh the risks and how would you then feel if your fridge locks you out because your scales and wearables have sounded the warning signs?
- Nurture by Numbers – Big Data and Children - Mar 5, 2016.
Driven by rising healthcare costs and competitions for top schools, more organisations and individuals are turning to Big Data and Analytics to try and give their children the upper hand.
- KDnuggets™ News 16:n06, Feb 17: 21 Must-Know Data Science Interview Q&A; Top Influencers and Brands - Feb 17, 2016.
21 Must-Know Data Science Interview Questions and Answers; Big Data 2016: Top Influencers and Brands; Gartner 2016 Magic Quadrant for Advanced Analytics Platforms: : gainers and losers; Scikit Flow: Easy Deep Learning with TensorFlow and ...
- Privacy – what is it? - Feb 16, 2016.
Bothered about the “big brother” knowing everything about you? We are explaining what exactly the privacy means in this data driven world, what are the different types, the major concerns and its limitation.
- Can Big Data Catch the Bad Guys? - Dec 2, 2015.
Balancing individual liberties with Big Brother surveillance and intelligence-gathering methods means walking a fine line that will require proper balancing for the foreseeable future. Regardless of opinion, Big Data has some role to play in keeping us safe, and the sooner we recognize it the better.
- Online Privacy – Why the Odds are Against You? - Nov 4, 2015.
Infographic on Data Brokers explains how personal information is collected and sold, leaving people with few options to opt-out of it.
Pages: 1 2
- Can Data Mining Extract Value from your Personal Data (and should you get a piece of the action?) - Sep 2, 2015.
There are industries made out of the personal data, but content providers don’t get their share. What if you are presented with the opportunity to sell your personal data for financial benefits? Find out more by taking the survey from datamilk.
- Cartoon: Big Data and the dog question - Aug 3, 2015.
It used to be that nobody on the internet knew that I was a dog ... New KDnuggets cartoon examines the dog question in the era of Big Data.
- Big Data Big Impact on the Future of Advertising - Jun 26, 2015.
Big data is ready to tack advertisement industry to a new height. Here, we captured how big data will shape the advertising in the future, its challenges and opportunities.
- Should Data Science Really Do That? - May 13, 2015.
Data Science amazing progress in its ability to do predictions and analysis is raising important ethical questions, such as should that data be collected? Should the collected data be used for that application? Should you be involved?
- Be Smarter Than Your Devices: Learn About Big Data - Apr 7, 2015.
If the Apple Watch rollout proves anything, it might be this: Going forward, we’ll all have to be as smart about data as our devices. Also, learn about the origins of "Big Data" term.
Pages: 1 2
- Hazy Forecast for Consumer Privacy in the Next Decade - Apr 2, 2015.
Majority of experts felt that developing a privacy framework that would be both popular and functional was next to impossible in the near future. With time, privacy is likely tol become a class issue with consumers who have the money having the ability to secure their data better.
- The Internet of People: 4 key principles for analyzing personal data - Feb 27, 2015.
The “Internet of People” raises a host of legal and ethical questions about the ownership and use of our personal data. We all have a stake in joining and navigating this increasingly stormy debate. Here are 4 key principles.
- Beagli: Finding value in your personal data - Feb 25, 2015.
Personal analytics products can help users extract value from their data. This post describes our development of Beagli, a platform for mining and auctioning personal data.
- Big Data, Privacy, and Security – which side are you on? - Feb 18, 2015.
After all the positive promise, the hype, and predictions about Big Data, 2015 started with a debate about privacy and specifically whether or not companies like Google and Facebook should be allowed to encrypt their users data.
- Big Data Could Revolutionize Healthcare. Will We Let it? - Jan 31, 2015.
The power to access and analyze enormous data sets can improve our ability to anticipate and treat illnesses. The benefits for society are just too great, and they won’t be ignored for long.
- KDnuggets™ News 15:n02, Jan 14: Research Leaders on key trends, top papers; Exclusive NYTimes interview - Jan 14, 2015.
Research Leaders on Data Mining key trends, top papers; Exclusive Interview with NYTimes Chief Data Scientist; Majority thinks AI not a threat; Cartoon: Hello, Singularity; Deep Learning in a Nutshell; How to make Privacy and Data Mining Compatible; ClearStory Data CEO on Collaborative Storyboards.
- Exclusive: Interview with Chris Wiggins, NYTimes Chief Data Scientist - Jan 13, 2015.
New York Times Chief Data Scientist Chris Wiggins on the transformation of digital journalism, key Data Science skills, favorite tools, why better wrong than nice, and how Thomas Jefferson is very relevant today.
- Top stories for Jan 4-10: 11 Clever Methods of Overfitting; Research Leaders on Data Science and Big Data - Jan 11, 2015.
11 Clever Methods of Overfitting and how to avoid them; Causation vs Correlation: Visualization, Statistics, and Intuition; Research Leaders on Data Science and Big Data key trends, top papers; Differential Privacy: How to make Privacy and Data Mining Compatible.
- IIA 2015 Analytics Predictions - Dec 11, 2014.
Highlights and discussion from IIA 2015 Analytics Predictions webinar, including Storytelling will be the hot new job in analytics; companies double investment in generating NEW and UNIQUE data, and how does one become an expert if entry-level work is automated?
- Big Data Comic Explains the Current State of Privacy - Nov 7, 2014.
A new comic from Al Jazeera simplifies the Big Data concepts and educates on the privacy concerns based on recent technology advancements.
- Cartoon: Halloween Costume for Big Data - Oct 28, 2014.
New KDnuggets cartoon looks at the appropriate Halloween costume for Big Data and its companion, No Privacy.
- KDD-2014 report, part 2: The Magic Module network and Privacy vs Big Data - Sep 2, 2014.
Here is part 2 of my report on KDD-2014, the biggest and the best Data Science meeting: The Magic Module genes, Privacy vs Big Data, and should we ask for consent of data subjects?
- Interview: Michael Berthold, KNIME Founder, on Research, Creativity, Big Data, and Privacy, Part 2 - Aug 12, 2014.
We discuss interesting research projects, scientific research and creativity, Big Data hype and reality, is privacy still possible, and advice for beginning Data Scientists.
- Future of Consumer Intelligence 2014: Day 2 Highlights - Jul 28, 2014.
Highlights from the presentations by Market Research leaders on day 2 of Future of Consumer Intelligence 2014 in Los Angeles.
- Interview: Dave Marvit, Innovation Strategy Consultant, Fujitsu on Privacy and Sentiment Analysis challenges - Jul 9, 2014.
We discuss the modern sentiment analysis challenges, how to address privacy concerns, Big Data predictions and more.
- Big Data Innovation Summit 2014 London: Highlights - May 31, 2014.
Highlights from the presentations by Big Data technology practitioners from Sears Holdings, Microsoft, Ticketmaster during Big Data Innovation Summit 2014 in London.
- Saxon Global, fast growing BI, Big Data, Cloud Service Provider - May 24, 2014.
Why India is emerging as a powerhouse of Analytics, Big Data Applications, Privacy, What will replace Big Data, and more.
- Media Industry Embracing Analytics for Innovation and Competitive Edge - May 13, 2014.
Survey results highlight the importance of Analytics capability in media industry and the consumer beliefs on privacy vs. personalization benefits.
- Exclusive Interview: David Stringfellow, Chief Economist, State Utah Auditor - Apr 25, 2014.
We discuss Analytics for Public Policy decisions, responsibilities of Utah Chief Data Officer, crowdsourcing analytics for resolving Government problems and most important skills for data science practitioners.
- Are Big Data and Privacy at odds? FICO Interview - Apr 23, 2014.
We discuss privacy, FICO scores, balancing predictive power and non-discrimination, whether technology bringing big data and privacy closer, and most important privacy issues for FICO.
- HP Perspective on Big Data and Analytics: Interview with Mazhar Hussain - Apr 3, 2014.
KDnuggets talks with Mazhar Hussain, HP Big Data & Analytics Services Leader, on key topics for the industry and 4 next big areas in Big Data.
- KDnuggets 14:n08, Is Data Scientist the right career path for you? FiveThirtyEight stumbles - Apr 3, 2014.
Latest analytics/data mining news, including candid advice on Data Scientist career, FiveThirtyEight stumbles on climate change, Boston Panel on Next Big Thing in Big Data, and White House/MIT Big Data Privacy Workshop report.
- Boston AnalyticsWeek Panel Highlights: Next Big Thing in Big Data - Mar 27, 2014.
Boston AnalyticsWeek opens with a vigorous panel discussion, which debates the next "Big Thing" in #BigData, Replacing data scientists by an algorithm, and is Privacy a big obstacle to Big Data?
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Mar 17-18: NSA metadata can find medical/financial conditions; Machine Learning in 7 Pictures - Mar 19, 2014.
Stanford students show NSA metadata can find medical, financial conditions; Machine Learning in 7 Pictures ; Social Networks are investing big in Artificial Intelligence; 7 Key Skills of Effective Data Scientists.