- The Value of Exploratory Data Analysis - Apr 20, 2017.
In this post, we will give a high level overview of what exploratory data analysis (EDA) typically entails and then describe three of the major ways EDA is critical to successfully model and interpret its results.
- A Short Guide to Navigating the Jupyter Ecosystem - Mar 31, 2017.
This post presents a no-nonsense overview of the Jupyter ecosystem, and a few tips, tricks and concepts you may find useful for navigating it.
- Getting Started with Deep Learning - Mar 24, 2017.
This post approaches getting started with deep learning from a framework perspective. Gain a quick overview and comparison of available tools for implementing neural networks to help choose what's right for you.
- Open Source Toolkits for Speech Recognition - Mar 14, 2017.
This article reviews the main options for free speech recognition toolkits that use traditional Hidden Markov Models and n-gram language models.
- Getting Real World Results From Agile Data Science Teams - Feb 10, 2017.
In this post, I’ll look at the practical ingredients of managing agile data science. By using agile data science methods, we help data teams do fast and directed work, and manage the inherent uncertainty of data science and application development.
- Introduction to Trainspotting: Computer Vision, Caltrain, and Predictive Analytics - Nov 1, 2016.
We previously analyzed delays using Caltrain’s real-time API to improve arrival predictions, and we have modeled the sounds of passing trains to tell them apart. In this post we’ll start looking at the nuts and bolts of making our Caltrain work possible.
- Understanding the Chief Data Officer - Nov 1, 2016.
In this report you will find a concise look at how CDOs view their nascent role in high-profile organizations, focusing on guidelines and best practices for organizations looking to add their own CDO.
- Jupyter Notebook Best Practices for Data Science - Oct 20, 2016.
Check out this overview of Jupyter notebook best practices as pertains to data science. Novice or expert, you may find something of use here.
- Strata 2014 Santa Clara: Highlights of Day 2 (Feb 12) - Feb 27, 2014.
Strata 2014 was a great conference, and here are key insights from some of the best sessions on day 2: Big Data Vendor Landscape, Machine Learning for Social Change, Secrets of Gertrude Stein, and Facebook Exascale Analytics.