Data Mining / Analytic Publications News, Jan 2013
Features (14) | Software (6) | Courses, Events (14) | Jobs | Academic | Competitions (9) | Publications (26) | News Briefs (8) Big Data Myth Read more »
- Big Data Myth and Big Data Velocity - Jan 31, 2013.
"There is only so much static data in the world as of today. The vast majority of new data is arriving from a high velocity source", says VoltDB CTO Scott Jarr in an interview with Roberto Zicari.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jan 28-29: KNIME 2.7 open-source analytics adds R; Machine Learning Cheat Sheet for scikit-learn - Jan 30, 2013.
KNIME 2.7, a leading open-source data/text mining suite, adds R; Machine Learning Cheat Sheet for python scikit-learn; Lessons from transition from Astronomer to a Data Scientist: What your statistical software says about you: R, Python, Julia, Stata, SPSS; Internet Explorer causes murders?
- Big Data: Trends, Strategies, and SAP Technology - Jan 30, 2013.
IDC white paper discusses the emerging technologies of the Big Data movement, breaks them out by roles and use cases, and identifies the relevant SAP technology.
- KDnuggets 13:n02, 5 years to become a good data scientist; GEQuest; Big Data Salary or Disillusionment? - Jan 30, 2013.
Latest analytics/data mining news, including 5 years to data scientist; GE Quest; Big Data Disillusionment? and more Features (10) | Software (4) | Courses, Events (2) | Webcasts (3) | Jobs (12) | Academic (5) | Competitions (4) | Publications (12) | NewsBriefs (4) | CFP (13)
- How Obama 2012 campaign mastered analytics of persuasion - Jan 29, 2013.
Analytics expert Eric Siegel opens a window on the new marketing technologies of persuasion modeling and predictive analytics successfully used in the Obama re-election campaign.
- Real scientists make their own data - what about data scientists? Twitter conversation - Jan 28, 2013.
Twitter conversation sparked by my tweet - Real scientists make their own data - but does it apply to data scientists?
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jan 24-27: Can Twitter Predict the Future? Pentagon says maybe; 25 cartoons look at the funny side of Bi gData - Jan 28, 2013.
Can Twitter Predict the Future? Pentagon says maybe; 25 cartoons look at the funny side of #BigData; Google rival? Common Crawl, a free database of the entire web; Data Visualization for R packages at Github
- How Particle Physics Is Improving Recommendation Engines - Jan 27, 2013.
Some items are adversely affected when too many people use them. Surprisingly, the same physics that govern the behaviour of photons and electrons may also improve online shopping recommendations and help avoid crowds.
- Big Data is Falling into the Trough of Disillusionment - Jan 24, 2013.
Gartner Research Director uses the technology maturity curve to argue that Big Data is already falling into the trough of disillusionment. Many of her clients most advanced with Hadoop are getting disillusioned.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jan 21-23: Free BigData education, Coursera "pseudo-degree"; What is Hadoop, MapReduce, HDFS - Jan 24, 2013.
Free #BigData education, including Coursera "pseudo-degree" program for Data Science ; Free #BigData Education: Technical perspective - Learn what is Hadoop, MapReduce, HDFS, Pig; New Book: R and Data Mining: Examples and Case Studies; How significant is columnar storage for Big data analytics - an explanation
- Big Data and Apache Hadoop Adoption - Jan 23, 2013.
While open-source Apache Hadoop can be a powerful platform for handling big data, deploying and managing this key technology is not without its challenges.
- Global Warming Prediction Project - Jan 22, 2013.
KnowledgeMiner data-driven predictions of global warming predict smaller rise than IPCC. IPCC scientists say their projections are more accurate. See for yourself who is right.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jan 17-20: Data Scientist positions at the CIA; Amazing visualization of Lionel Messi world-record 91 goals - Jan 21, 2013.
Data Scientist positions at the CIA; Amazing visualization of Lionel Messi world-record 91 goals? DATA MINING CUP, a leading competition for students; The Big Data Landscape, 2013 Edition
- Book: R and Data Mining: Examples and Case Studies - Jan 21, 2013.
This book contains examples, code, and data for decision trees, random forest, regression, clustering, outlier detection, time series analysis, association rules, text mining and social network analysis and three real-world case studies.
- The Big Data Landscape, 2013 Edition - Jan 18, 2013.
The The Big Data Landscape includes over 100 companies and Big Data vendors of all sizes, public and private market investors, and technology buyers.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jan 14-16: Machine Learning humor: "Love Thy Nearest Neighbor"; What is a zetta-byte, visualized - Jan 17, 2013.
Machine Learning humor on a T-shirt: "Love Thy Nearest Neighbor"; BigData - what is a zetta-byte, visualized; How to find useful external data (key question for most data mining tasks); Graduate Programs in #BigData Analytics, Data Science - updated
- Text mining for biological and health effects of electromagnetic fields - Jan 15, 2013.
Meta-analysis of published literature found unexpected beneficial and adverse health effects of electromagnetic fields. The text and data mining aspects of this work may be of interest to researchers in text mining and bioinformatics.
- KDnuggets 13:n01, Exclusive: Interview with Obama 2012 Chief Scientist; Machine Learning Humor - Jan 15, 2013.
Latest analytics/data mining news, including an exclusive interview with Obama 2012 Chief Scientist, Machine Learning Humor, Features (11) | Software (2) | Courses, Events (2) | Webcasts (3) | Jobs (11) | Competitions (3) | Publications (10) | NewsBriefs (4) | CFP (12)
- Executive Analytics 2012 - Free Research Report from AberdeenGroup - Jan 14, 2013.
This document explores how top performing executives foster analytical initiatives, improve operational performance, and leverage technology. Get your copy - free until Jan 31, 2013.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jan 10-13: Elements of Statistical Learning book - free download; Scoring With Soccer: Analytics Come to MLS - Jan 14, 2013.
Elements of Statistical Learning - the book for data scientists - free download; Scoring With Soccer: Analytics Come to MLS - meet Nate Silver of Soccer; #BigData helps to fight pirates! Piracy drops 54%; 7 Business Analytics Gurus to follow on Twitter
- Real villain behind violent crime - Lead in gasoline? - Jan 12, 2013.
Mother Jones article says that new research finds Pb is the hidden villain behind violent crime, lower IQs, and even the ADHD epidemic. Many disagree.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jan 3-9: White House to mandate machine-readable open data; First comprehensive text book on Outlier Analysis - Jan 10, 2013.
White House to mandate machine-readable open data - most impact on health care; First comprehensive text book on Outlier Analysis from data mining/CS perspective; SiSense: Next Generation Analytics; #Big Data is great, but without intuition Big Data models can fail hard
- Hilary Mason interview questions for Data Scientists - Jan 10, 2013.
Great data scientists come from very diverse backgrounds - here are some questions Hilary Mason (Chief Scientist for Bitly) uses to assess them.
- New Books: Foundations of Rule Learning and Bisociative Knowledge Discovery - Jan 9, 2013.
Two new books address the foundations, techniques and selected applications of rule learning (selected chapters free) and novel methods for discovering new, domain bridging connections and patterns from heterogeneous data sources (entire book is free).
- New Book: Outlier Analysis, by Charu Aggarwal - Jan 7, 2013.
A first comprehensive text book in this area from a data mining and computer science perspective. Each chapter contains carefully organized content on the topic, case studies, extensive bibliographic notes and the future direction of research in this field.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Dec 31 - Jan 2: Machine Learning and Data Mining Humor; BigData: the rise of the machines - Jan 3, 2013.
Machine Learning and Data Mining Humor; #BigData: the rise of the machines: machine-generated data will be 42% of all data by 2020; Top 5 Data Science Guys: DJ Patil, Jeff Hammerbacher, Drew Conway, Jake Porway, David Smith; Free e-books on Data Science and Statistical reasoning