Data Mining / Analytic Publications News, Feb 2013
Features (12) | Software (13) | Courses, Events (22) | Jobs | Academic | Competitions (5) | Publications (26) | News Briefs (8) How to interview Read more »
- How to interview a Data Scientist - Feb 28, 2013.
LinkedIn Director of Data Science, David Tunkelang, shares his Strata talk on how to interview a data scientist. Rule 2: No gotchas - they reduce the signal to noise ratio.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Feb 25-26: Free e-book: "Introduction to Data Science", using R, leadin; Very useful for Data Scientists: How to copy Data from Excel - Feb 27, 2013.
Free e-book: "Introduction to Data Science", using R; Very useful for Data Scientists: How to copy Data from Excel to R and Back; Amazon Best Seller: Predictive Analytics: The Power to Predict Who Will Click, Buy, Lie or Die; Visualise Open Government Data Competition - what can you do ?
- KDnuggets 13:n05, Analytic Salaries Jump; Top Industry Analysts; Big Data 2.0 - Feb 27, 2013.
Analytics salaries significantly increase in 2013; My list of top industry analysts, and more analytics/data mining news, including Features (6) | Software (1) | Webcasts (3) | Courses, Events (2) | Jobs (5) | Academic (1) | Competitions (2) | Publications (3) | Tweets (3) | NewsBriefs (1) | CFP (16)
- Four Reasons to Read the New Book "Predictive Analytics" - Feb 26, 2013.
Eric Siegel's breakout book, "Predictive Analytics: The Power to Predict Who Will Click, Buy, Lie, or Die" has been called "The Freakonomics of big data," and "the definitive book of this industry" that is "an operating manual for 21st century life."
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Feb 22-24: How much can you trust an Amazon Review? Stanford, Harvard professors dissect Big Data, MOOCs - Feb 25, 2013.
How much can you trust an Amazon Review? Data mining and gaming the reviews; Stanford, Harvard professors dissect #BigData, MOOCs; On being a Data Scientist - How to analyze a Petabyte of data on a laptop; Top KDnuggets tweets, Feb 20-21: 10 R packages every data scientist should know
- Free e-book on Data Science with R - Feb 24, 2013.
An Introduction to Data Science, developed for Syracuse U. Certificate for Data Science, is freely downloadable and available on iTunes.
- Big Data Analytics at Netflix: Interview - Feb 23, 2013.
In the interview Kalantzis and Brown comment on the lessons learned in deploying Cassandra in a production EC2 environment at Netflix, what was the result of their experiments with MongoDB, and more.
- Richard Boire on The Data Discovery: Investing in Customer Insight - Feb 22, 2013.
A leading analytics consultant shares his experience about Data discovery and Customer analytics. How to deal with situations when "we don't know what we don't know" ?
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Feb 20-21: 10 R packages every data scientist should know; Data Science vs Big Data - Feb 22, 2013.
10 R packages every data scientist should know; Data Science and its relationship to Big Data and Decision Making; An Oxymoron? Big Data Analytics for Dummies, free 52 page e-book; Microsoft plans for Hadoop, machine learning, HPC, #BigData & analytics on Azure
- Data Science and its relationship to Big Data and Data-Driven Decision Making - Feb 20, 2013.
Two leading data science and machine learning researchers examine the relationship of data science to other important related concepts, and to begin to identify the fundamental principles underlying data science. What will be Big Data 2.0?
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Feb 18-19: Intro to R for Data Mining - get immediately productive; The Analytics Education Boom - Feb 20, 2013.
Introduction to R for Data Mining - how to become immediately productive; The Analytics Education Boom - A Review; University Programs in USA in Big Data and Analytics - a map; Intro to R for Data Mining - watch on demand, incl. GUI (rattle), command-line
- KDnuggets 13:n04, Analytics Education Boom; Free Online Courses; PASS and PAW - Feb 20, 2013.
Analytics Education Boom, Free online Courses and more analytics/data mining news, including Features (6) | Software (5) | Courses, Events (2) | Jobs (2) | Academic (1) | Publications (3) | Tweets (2) | NewsBriefs (3) | CFP (12)
- Open Source Business Intelligence: Ready to Play in the Big Leagues - Feb 19, 2013.
Based on a Ventana Research survey, this report identifies key issues, opportunities and risks involved in deploying open source Business Intelligence (BI).
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Feb 15-17: Finding outliers in numerical data - useful methods; Apple: Data Mining Scientist - Feb 18, 2013.
Finding outliers in numerical data - useful methods; Apple: Data Mining Scientist; Basketball nerds rejoice: NBA released stats for every game since 1946; Data Science: Explore. Hypothesize. Test. Repeat.
- Aberdeen Report: Data Management for BI: Getting Accurate Decisions from Big Data - Feb 15, 2013.
Aberdeen research into Data Management has uncovered the Best-in-Class practices for delivering fast, reliable information to decision-makers. Get your report - free until Feb 28.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Feb 11-14: 5 graphical/visualization best practices; Data Science Toolkit API - Feb 15, 2013.
5 graphical/visualization best practices every Data Scientist should know; Data Science Toolkit API, w. data sets and useful open-source tools; Big Data & Analytics startups to bet your career on; What tools do Kaggle competitors use for analytics/data mining tasks and to solve problems
- What Analytic Software are People Discussing? - Feb 15, 2013.
Robert Muenchen compares R, SAS, SPSS, and Stata popularity across internet discussion forums, email, LinkedIn, Quora, and more.
- Big Data Journal Inaugural Issue Launched - Feb 14, 2013.
Led by Editor-in-Chief, Edd Dumbill, program chair for the Strata conference, the Journal will address the complicated questions surrounding the powerful and growing field of data discovery. The free access inaugural issue includes premium content from leading experts in the field.
- KDnuggets 13:n03, New Poll: Analytics Salary; Cartoon: Data Scientist Valentine Day Solution - Feb 13, 2013.
Data scientist Valentine's day adjustment, and latest analytics/data mining news, including Features (9) | Software (6) | Webcasts (2) | Courses, Events (3) | Jobs (6) | Meetings (5) | Academic (1) | Competitions (4) | Publications (10) | NewsBriefs (4) | CFP (14)
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Feb 8-10: 53 Billion anon requests available; When SVM trump other classification methods - Feb 11, 2013.
Big Click Data available: 53 Billion anon HTTP reqs; When SVM trump other classification methods - good explanation; Report on Coursera online course in data analysis; Twitter can be used to predict if the user is likely to become sick, track flu spread
- NoSQL and Big Data Just Hype? Interview with MySQL Creator - Feb 10, 2013.
The whole thing with the "new NoSQL movement" started with a blog post from a Twitter employee that said MySQL was not good enough and they needed "something better", like Cassandra. 3 years later, Twitter is still using MySQL.
- Lufthansa and Pentaho: Big Data Analytics Interview - Feb 8, 2013.
Lufthansa is now able to aggregate and feed data into a management cockpit to analyze collected data for key decision-making purposes in the future, enabling the company to detect patterns on large amounts of data at a rapid speed.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Feb 6-7: Why Facebook Graph Search really matters; Can Kaggle competition be automated? - Feb 8, 2013.
Why Facebook Graph Search really matters: it combines #BigData and NLP; Can Kaggle data mining competition winner be automated? 3 generations of tools for Machine Learning/Data Mining algorithms; interesting history in this paper "Big Data, the Phenomenon, the Term ..."
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Feb 4-5: A data scientist collection of useful and open datasets http; Big Data For Dummies - Feb 6, 2013.
A data scientist collection of useful and open datasets; Never thought will see this, but ... "Big Data For Dummies"; David Brooks finds small anecdotes in Big Data - basketball players don't have hot streaks; "House of Cards" gives viewers exactly what #BigData says we want. This won't end well
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Feb 1-3: Postdoc training from academia to data science; What Nate Silver Gets Wrong - Feb 4, 2013.
6-wk postdoc training, bridges the gap between academia and a career in data; What Nate Silver Gets Wrong; Data journalism: 22 key links - free visualization tools, timelines; Astronomy vs. Data Science: Jobs: 335 vs 140K
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jan 30-31: What separates a Great Data Scientist from a good one; SQL is not dead - New databases - Feb 1, 2013.
What separates a Great Data Scientist from a good one; SQL is not dead ! New databases create new analytics opps for SQL pros; 8 brilliant minds on the future of online education and MOOCs; More Data or Better Algorithms? Better Data beats them both (but Better Questions beats all 3)