NICAR13 Data Driven Journalism Presentations, Tutorials
Here are some of the most useful presentations and tutorials for data scientists, from NICAR13, a conference that brings together some of the sharpest minds and most experienced hands in investigative journalism.
NICAR13 ia a conference that brings together some of the sharpest minds and most experienced hands in investigative journalism.
While most of the talks are addressed to data journalists, there are many that would also be very useful to data scientists - see a selected list below.
After all, effective analysis and presentations should not present just numbers, but tell a good story, so there is a lot that data scientists can learn from data journalists.
See also a summary of NICAR13 highlights by Chrys Wu:
"Data science, commoditized backends, and the need to know code."
Data Mining, Data Science and Machine Learning
- Data Science for Nerdy Journalists (from Hadley Wickham)
- Sisi Wei shares her class notes
- Exploratory Data Analysis (from Chase Davis)
- Practical Machine Learning (from Chase Davis & Jeff Larson)
- NodeXL for Network Analysis (from Peter Aldhous)
Data and Web Scraping
- Data Scraping with Google Docs (from Sean Sposito)
- Demystifying Web Scraping (from Sean Sposito & Acton Gordon)
- Web scraping with Node.js (from Al Shaw)
- Web Scraping (and more) with Google Apps Script (from Steven Melendez)
- Dataviz on a shoestring (from Sharon Machlis)
- Making interactives fun | List of interactives shown during the talk (from Tasneem Raja and Sisi Wei)
- Campaign Finance the Data Science Way (from Chase Davis)
- Fun with data in sports journalism (from Jack Gillum)
- Making Health Data Sexy (from Charles Ornstein)
- Inside baseball: What data journalism can learn from sports (from Jeremy Bowers, Ryan Pitts and Matt Waite
- Digging Deep with Data Journalism (from Jill Riepenhoff)
- Reporting without revealing: Tools for hiding your tracks (from Paula Lavigne)
Mapping and Geocoding
- Mapping Best Practices (from Dave Cole, John Keefe and Matt Stiles)
- Navigating U.S. Census Data (from Erran F. Persley)
Here is an excellent full list of NICAR13 tutorials and presentations, and also Software and Tools for web scraping, visualization, mapping and geocoding, anonymization, digital investigation, and probably anything else you can do with data and stories.