Data Mining / Analytic Publications News, Mar 2013
Features (15) | Software (14) | Courses, Events (19) | Jobs | Academic | Competitions (7) | Publications (42) | News Briefs (12) IIA Analytics 3.0 Read more »
- IIA Analytics 3.0 Framework: The Era of Impact - Mar 30, 2013.
Analytics 3.0 represents a new phase in the evolution of enterprise adoption of business analytics, bringing together Analytics 1.0 - Traditional analytics and Analytics 2.0 - Big Data analytics.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Mar 27-28: #FastData: R package for massive online data mining; Study shows: only 2% ecommerce visits came from social - Mar 29, 2013.
Besides Big Data, there is #FastData: stream R package is for massive online stream mining; Stop Hyping Social: study shows 2% of ecommerce visits came from social; #BigData for fighting poverty and fraud - what 150 data scientists/hackers did over the weekend; For Math lovers: The Improbable Life of Paul Erdos
- Big Data Download: Employee Performance and People Analytics - Mar 29, 2013.
CNBC/Yahoo new online segment "Big Data Download" looks at collecting employee data - is it good for productivity or is the Big Brother ? What happens when employee badges are replaced with sociometric badges and how it improved productivity by 23% at BoA call center.
- Klout Top Big Data Influencers - Mar 28, 2013.
Top Big Data influencers, according to Klout: @cloudera, @hmason, @dpatil, @acroll, @dhinchcliffe, @kevinweil, @kdnuggets, @edd
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Mar 25-26: rminer: R package, simplifies use of data mining algorithms; Google Universal Analytics beta open to all - Mar 27, 2013.
rminer: R package, simplifies use of data mining algorithms in classification/regression; Google Universal Analytics beta open to all; new universal tracking, more custom analytics; Are data scientists overpaid? They show up on a "top 10 overpaid jobs"; This paper examines the risks of using spreadsheets for statistical analysis
- KDnuggets 13:n08, Data Scientists against a Pledge; Top LinkedIn Groups; Big Data 100 - Mar 27, 2013.
Latest analytics/data mining news, including Top Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining LinkedIn Groups, Features (9) | Software (5) | Webcasts (1) | Courses, Events (2) | Meetings (1) | Jobs (6) | Academic (4) | Competitions (3) | Publications (9) | Tweets (5) | NewsBriefs (5) | CFP (9)
- WEF report: Unlocking the Value of Personal Data: From Collection to Usage - Mar 26, 2013.
This important report from World Economic Forum proposes a new approach to personal data that is flexible and adaptive to encourage innovation, but also protects the rights of individuals. It urges change of focus from governing data collection to data use in context.
- The Risks of Using Spreadsheets for Statistical Analysis - Mar 26, 2013.
Are spreadsheets more hindrance than help in data analysis? Download "The Risks of Using Spreadsheets for Statistical Analysis" white paper and discover how predictive analytics can produce faster, more accurate results.
- HP: Big Security for Big Data - Mar 25, 2013.
Learn how organizations can protect, utilize, and gain real-time insight from #BigData. Big data enables not only busineses, but hackers, who set up robust marketplaces to sell sensitive information. See how to deal with this threat.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Mar 22-24: Predictive Analytics Reading list; Survey finds analytics ROI is taken on faith - Mar 25, 2013.
Predictive Analytics Reading list, an introduction from @mgualtieri; This is trouble! Accenture survey finds analytics ROI is frequently taken on faith; 6 ideas from startups for your #BigData problems; How NYC Geek squad is using #BigData
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Mar 20-21: The 20 best tools for data viz; Top LinkedIn Groups for Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining - Mar 22, 2013.
The 20 best tools for data visualization and embedding in your website; Top LinkedIn Groups for Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science ; R grows exponentially, added more packages in 2012 than all SAS functions; Avoid Snowflake Data Science: beautiful, but can't be reproduced - data science wisdom from Amazon
- Siegel: Peril, Promise and the Price of Predictive technology - Mar 22, 2013.
As computers are entrusted to make judgment calls traditionally decided by people, should we worry? Predictions can cause difficulties not only when wrong, but also when they are right. Eric Siegel, founder of PAW: Predictive Analytics World, looks into implications.
- Tata Big Data Study - Key Findings - Mar 21, 2013.
Key findings from a global Big Data Study by Tata Consultancy Services include: Big split in spending, with a minority of companies spending big while most companies spend very little, and biggest returns for leaders came from places that laggards did not value as much.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Mar 18-19: Vertical vs. Horizontal Data Scientists; Can we please stop saying "unstructured" data? - Mar 20, 2013.
Vertical vs. Horizontal Data Scientists - why only "Horizontal" data scientists are; Can we please stop saying "unstructured" data?; Coursera: Statistics - Making Sense of Data, key ideas and principles; SAS vs R battle: academics, education favor R, industry, vertical analytics favor SAS
- SAP: Change How Business Intelligence is Managed - Mar 20, 2013.
This paper details how in-memory computing can change the way you manage business intelligence and the value your business can derive from the technology.
- Big Data Ethics: 4 Principles - Mar 18, 2013.
A proposal to crowdsource a set of big data privacy guidelines, starting with transparency, simplicity by design, and security.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Mar 15-17: Open Data Census assesses the state of open data; Review of "Black Swan" Nissim Taleb #BigData caveats - Mar 18, 2013.
Open Data Census assesses the state of open data around the world - 281 open data cat; Review of "Black Swan" Nissim Taleb #BigData caveats: Big Data brings more false results;; Ayasdi startup uses a topology-based approach to analyze #BigData - can geometric approach; Long-term evolution is 'surprisingly predictable,' Stanford experiment shows http://bit.ly
- Crunchbase/SiSense interactive startup dashboard: Are Big Data investments declining in 2013? - Mar 16, 2013.
We analyze the Crunchbase start-up database using SiSense interactive dashboard and observe the latest big data trends. Will 2013 Big Data investments fall below 2012 levels?
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Mar 13-14: Please vote for @kdnuggets for the #bigdata100; Predictive Analytics is a Goldmine for Startups - Mar 15, 2013.
Please vote for @kdnuggets for the #bigdata100 most influential #bigdata Twitter account; Predictive Analytics is a Goldmine for Startups: 10 great application areas; Foreign students are now majority of MS, PhD computer science students in the US; Data Science Tools: Fast, easy to use, and scalable, and slowly democratize many data scie
- Top Big Data VC Investors - Mar 15, 2013.
Companies in the Big Data industry have received close to $5B in VC financing in the last few years. We look at the top VC firms that invest in Big Data.
- Forrester - Turn Big Data Inward With IT Analytics - Mar 14, 2013.
To combat Big Data complexity, you need machines to analyze conditions to invoke automated actions. This free report from Forrester explains how to perform adaptive automation with IT analytics.
- KDnuggets 13:n07, Data Scientist Pledge; Data Science for Social Good Summer Fellowship - Mar 14, 2013.
Latest analytics/data mining news, including Features (7) | Software (5) | Webcasts (3) | Courses, Events (2) | Meetings (1) | Jobs (4) | Academic (1) | Publications (5) | Tweets (3) | NewsBriefs (1) | CFP (8)
- Siegel Predictive Analytics Book Free Online Training - Mar 13, 2013.
To build awareness of Eric Siegel's new, acclaimed book, "Predictive Analytics: The Power to Predict Who Will Click, Buy, Lie, or Die", we're providing an offer you can't refuse.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Mar 11-12: WSJ: BigData, Big Blunders for too many companies; Data Mining the Largest Library Database in the World - Mar 13, 2013.
WSJ: #BigData, Big Blunders - too many companies have nothing to show; Data Mining the Largest Library Database in the World; Data Science Code of Professional Conduct and Data Science "Golden Rule"; You know you have #BigData when ... Big Data humor
- OliviaGroup Business Intelligence Innovation Survey - Mar 13, 2013.
This research project is inspired by this Gartner statistic: 70-80% of corporate BI projects fail due to poor communication. The goal of the survey is to understand and measure the alignment between BI and human intelligence and to what degree this alignment is correlated with the success of the organization.
- Lavastorm: 4 Top Challenges in Big Data and Analytics - Mar 12, 2013.
Download the executive brief to learn more about the top 4 challenges in Big Data and Analytics. Learn how Lavastorm Analytics can help and download your free copy of Lavastorm Analytics Desktop Public today.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Mar 8-10: Tableau visualization software free to students; GraphLab framework for Machine Learning - Mar 11, 2013.
Tableau visualization software offered free to students; Watch this talk on GraphLab framework for Machine Learning in the Cloud; NICAR13: Data Driven Journalism - Most useful presentations and tutorials; Microsoft "Data Explorer" Excel add-in, simplifies data discovery and access
- NPR: Big Data Revolution: How Number Crunchers Can Predict Our Lives - Mar 8, 2013.
An author of a book on Big Data joins NPR's Steve Inskeep to talk about how Big Data helps Target detect pregnancies, the police track potential criminals - and has even changed the way he talks to his kids.
- Amazon Mechanical Turk is not anonymous - Mar 8, 2013.
Research find vulnerability in Amazon Mechanical Turk, which can be exploited to obtain personally identifying information on some workers.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Mar 6-7: A DBA walks into a NoSQL bar; 4 new ways to Hadoop with R - Mar 8, 2013.
A DBA walks into a NoSQL bar, but turns & leaves because he couldn't find a table; 4 new ways to Hadoop with R; This will stimulate your imagination: What our solar system looks like from a moving Sun; Pig Eye for the SQL Guy - brief guide for Pig, SQL-like language for Hadoop
- Big Data Revolution Analytics Interview - Mar 7, 2013.
"A data scientist will often combine transactional data from a NoSQL system, demographic data from a RDBMS, unstructured data from Hadoop, and social data from a streaming API" - ODBMS Editor Roberto Zicari interviews David Smith, VP at Revolution Analytics, on Big Data, Analytics, R, Data Scientists, and more.
- KDnuggets 13:n06, If you missed Strata; Feds predict the Future; Berkeley AMPLab - Mar 7, 2013.
Strata highlights, Pre-crime on HuffPost Live, AMPLab, and more analytics/data mining news, including Features (7) | Software (1) | Webcasts (2) | Courses, Events (2) | Meetings (2) | Jobs (5) | Academic (2) | Competitions (3) | Publications (5) | Tweets (4) | NewsBriefs (3) | CFP (6)
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Mar 4-5: Stanford Data Mining, Big Data Courses Online; Kaggle Connect: matchmaker for data scientists and companies - Mar 6, 2013.
- 5 Reasons Organizations Predict When You Will Die - Mar 6, 2013.
Eric Siegel, the author of best-selling "Predictive Analytics: The Power to Predict Who Will Click, Buy, Lie, or Die", looks at the reasons for the death predictions, and even for predictions after death.
- MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference Highlights - Mar 4, 2013.
Highlights from the recent MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference: bigger and more corporate than ever, optimizing 3-point shots, analytics pushbacks, Importance of hand size for quarterbacks, and much more.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Mar 1-3: Quantum algorithm breakthrough; Strata Report: Why Berkeley Spark is the best Hadoop - Mar 4, 2013.
Quantum algorithm breakthrough - performs a true calculation for the first time; Strata Report: Why Berkeley Spark is the best Hadoop replacement, Python Data Science; 11 Data Visualization Experts on Twitter, plus one; Berkeley AMPLab provides a start-up environment within Berkeley for exciting Big Data
- Aberdeen Report: Big Data Trends in 2013 - Mar 4, 2013.
Big Data challenges continue to rapidly evolve, and this report will identify the new pressures and strategies implemented by organizations today.
- Applied Data Mining for Forecasting Using SAS - Mar 4, 2013.
This book is essential for forecasting practitioners. It uses many real-world examples to show the practical issues involved in applied forecasting with SAS software in a business setting.
- Strata Conference Reports and Highlights - Mar 3, 2013.
Highlights from Strata Feb 2013 Conference on Big Data, covering Hadoop, Python Data Science, game data mining, Groundhog day, data thoughtcrime, situational awareness, and more.
- 11 Data Visualization Experts on Twitter, plus 1 - Mar 2, 2013.
11 data visualization experts to follow on twitter - who do you follow?
- If you missed Strata 2013, here are 53 videos - Mar 1, 2013.
If you missed Strata 2013 Santa Clara Conference, here are videos from Strata covering Big Data, Analytics, Hadoop, Small Devices and much more
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Feb 27-28: if you missed Strata, here are 44 videos; 10 R Packages that data scientists should know, and 10 more - Mar 1, 2013.
if you missed Strata Conf, here are 44 videos - covering #BigData, Analytics, Hadoop,; 10 R Packages that data scientists should know, and 10 more for social sciences ; Statistics.com Data Analytics Certificate and upcoming online coursesM; Advice from LinkedIn @dtunkelang and Dilbert on how to interview a Data Scientist