Data Mining / Analytic Software News, Mar 2013
Features (15) | Software (14) | Courses, Events (19) | Jobs | Academic | Competitions (7) | Publications (42) | News Briefs (12) 11 segments of Read more »
- 11 segments of Big Data Ecosystem, according to Sqrrl - Mar 30, 2013.
Sqrrl, a Big Data startup founded by the ex-NSA engineers, breaks down Big Data Market into 11 segments.
- Need Data Mining Consultant for bioinformatics project to diagnose schizophrenia - Mar 29, 2013.
Kahn Technologies has developed an algorithm for detecting an EEG signal for diagnosing schizophrenia. We are looking for a data mining expert, preferably with experience in oscillatory dynamics, to help in writing grants and to implement a data-mining system.
- Big Data is a Software and Services Business - Mar 28, 2013.
All companies whose main focus was Big Data got all their revenue from software and services, none from hardware. The top 10 companies in Big Data overall are big companies, like IBM, HP, Teradata, Dell, and Oracle which derived only 2.4% of their revenue from Big Data.
- Too slow or out of memory problems in Machine Learning/Data Mining? - Mar 25, 2013.
What are some of the problems in machine learning, data mining and related fields that you have difficulties with because they are too slow or need excessively large memory?
- Lavastorm Analytics Survey Results: People, Tools, and Training key investment areas - Mar 23, 2013.
The key areas for analytics investments will be people, tools, and training, according to the recent Lavastorm Analytics Survey.
- Google Wikilinks Big Data: 40 Millions Entities in Context - Mar 20, 2013.
Google research has released Wikilinks Corpus: 40 million total disambiguated mentions within over 10 million web pages - over 100 times bigger than any previous entries, and this data can be used to research many interesting text problems.
- Ajaila: Ruby package for Predictive Analysis - Mar 19, 2013.
Ajaila helps you to work with statistical datasets, normalize the data into a common format, build models, visualize your data and scale with Hadoop.
- IBM SPSS Statistics Products Overview - Mar 13, 2013.
IBM SPSS Statistics has all of the tools you need to solve challenges and seize new opportunities - whether you're a business analyst, statistician or researcher. Watch the demo.
- IBM: 5 limitations of spreadsheet analysis - Mar 13, 2013.
Learn about some of the limitations of spreadsheets and how IBM SPSS Statistics software overcomes those limitations.
- SFBayACM talk: GraphLab framework for Machine Learning in the Cloud - Mar 10, 2013.
Watch this SFBay ACM presentation by Carlos Guestrin to learn about GraphLab framework, which naturally expresses graph computations key for machine learning on Big Data. On many large-scale tasks, GraphLab provides 20-100x performance improvements over Hadoop.
- Tableau Visualization Software Free to Students - Mar 9, 2013.
Students can get a free access to Tableau, a leading Data Visualization software system.
- NICAR13 Data Driven Journalism Presentations, Tutorials - Mar 9, 2013.
Here are some of the most useful presentations and tutorials for data scientists, from NICAR13, a conference that brings together some of the sharpest minds and most experienced hands in investigative journalism.
- SPMF: Sequential Pattern Mining Framework - Mar 9, 2013.
SPMF is an open-source, sequential pattern mining framework in Java, with over 50 data mining algorithms for sequential pattern mining, association rule mining, frequent itemset mining, sequential rule mining, and clustering.
- Berkeley AMPLab: Algorithms, Machines, and People works on Big Data and Analytics Solutions - Mar 3, 2013.
Berkeley AMPLab provides a start-up environment within Berkeley for exciting Big Data and Analytics projects, including BLB: Bootstrapping Big Data, CrowdDB - Answering Queries with Crowdsourcing, MLbase: A User-friendly System for Distributed Machine learning, and Shark: SQL and Rich Analytics at Scale