Data Mining / Analytic Publications News, Apr 2013
Features (20) | Software (9) | Courses, Events (23) | Jobs | Academic | Competitions (5) | Publications (27) | News Briefs (5) Best Blogs for Read more »
- Best Blogs for Data Miners and Data Scientists - Apr 30, 2013.
What are the best blogs for data miners and data scientists to read? I summarize the discussion on Quora and add my favorites.
- New Book: The People's Web Meets NLP: Collaboratively Constructed Language Resources - Apr 29, 2013.
This book offers comprehensive coverage of Collaboratively Constructed Language Resources (CCLRs) such as Wikipedia, Wiktionary, Linked Open Data, and crowdsourcing techniques such as Mechanical Turk.
- Top 10 KDnuggets tweets, Apt 26-28: #BigData producing Big Results for retailers; How to spot a data scientist - Apr 29, 2013.
#BigData is already producing Big Results for retailers; How to spot a data scientist and what they actually do; Bitly experience on with Amazon Redshift: great for answering SQL queries fast on #BigData; Amazon: Machine Learning Scientist, analyze huge data, design scalable machine learning
- Is Data Science The End of Statistics? A Discussion - Apr 29, 2013.
Here is an interesting discussion on LinkedIn, started by a provocative post "Data Science: The End of Statistics?" What is the relationship between Data Science and Statistics and in what sense are "Statistics" ending?
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Apr 24-25: What Stephen Wolfram found by data mining a million Facebook profiles; Algorithm every Data Scientist should know - Apr 26, 2013.
What Stephen Wolfram found bata mining a million Facebook profiles and how you can too; Algorithm every Data Scientist should know; #Pivotal, an ambitious $1B startup emerging from EMC and VMware, will offer #BigData Platform
- Facebook Data Mining by Stephen Wolfram - Apr 25, 2013.
Stephen Wolfram data mines anonymized Facebook data from over a million people who used Wolfram|Alpha personal facebook analytics. See what he found and how you can analyze your facebook data.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Apr 22-23: Data Scientists: what they do; The Evolution of Regression Modeling Series - Apr 24, 2013.
Data Scientists: what they do, the skills, the demand, and the trends; The Evolution of Regression Modeling: from Classical Linear Regression to Modern Ensemble; Tim Berners-Lee, the inventor of the Web, says JSON is the new XML :-); "12 Hours of Separation": Social networks can track anyone in just 12 hours
- Pivotal HD ODBMS Interview with Scott Yara and Florian Waas - Apr 24, 2013.
ODBMS Editor Roberto Zicari talks to leaders of the new Pivotal about their new platform and Pivotal HD - their own Hadoop version.
- KDnuggets 13:n11, Top LinkedIn Groups in Analytics; Largest data mined; Pivotal - Apr 24, 2013.
Top LinkedIn Analytics groups and more analytics/data mining news, including Features (8) | Software (1) | Webcasts (2) | Courses, Events (3) | Meetings (3) | Jobs (4) | Competitions (1) | Tweets (3) | NewsBriefs (2) | CFP (11)
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Apr 19-21: 2 Books on Data analysis with Python, other open source too; List of Machine Learning APIs - sentiment analysis, face rec - Apr 22, 2013.
2 Books on Data analysis with Python, other open source tools; List of Machine Learning APIs - sentiment analysis, face recognition, query classification; This video clip on Dzhokhar Tsarnaev VKontakte page likely shows his brother; 6 steps to get hired as a data scientist
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Apr 17-18: How eBay is using visualization and Tableau; Cannot predict age on Twitter after 30 - Apr 19, 2013.
How eBay is using visualization and Tableau to make data democratic; Hey, dude, can you tell, like, how old I am? Software cannot predict user age on Twitter after 30; Has the #BigData Bubble Burst? Not yet, but correction is due, especially for Hadoop; How to speed up Excel and process billions of rows in the cloud
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Apr 15-16: MSR Machine Learning Summit Streamed Live Apr 23; DMKD: Read 5 Top Articles from Data Mining and Knowledge Dis - Apr 17, 2013.
Microsoft Research Machine Learning Summit Streamed Live April; DMKD: Read 5 Top Articles from Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery journal; Where can you find a true Data Scientist? Julia vs R: Julia is fast, has native support for parallel computing
- KDnuggets 13:n10, Big Data 100; Exclusive: KXEN Interview; Hadoop not dead yet - Apr 17, 2013.
Latest analytics/data mining news, including Features (6) | Software (3) | Webcasts (1) | Courses, Events (1) | Meetings (3) | Jobs (4) | Competitions (1) | Publications (2) | Tweets (3) | NewsBriefs (2) | CFP (25)
- DMKD: Free Read 5 Top Articles from Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery journal - Apr 15, 2013.
Read five recent and highly cited articles from Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery journal, courtesy of Geoff Webb, The Editor-in-Chief, and see the quality and scope of the journal.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Apr 12-14: Why more data does not always produce a better model; How to better compete with other data scientists - Apr 15, 2013.
Why more data does not always produce a better model (Kolmogorov-Smirnov ?); How to better compete with other data scientists - useful resources; 50 #BigData Business Analytics Companies; Data Scientists Draw Pictures and Tell Short Stories
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Apr 10-11: Data Mining with Weka: an online course; NYT reviews Analytics/Data Science education - Apr 12, 2013.
Data Mining with Weka: an online course, April 2013; NYT reviews Analytics/Data Science education: Columbia, USF, NYU, Stanford, NWU; Big Data Techcon: Hadoop is not dead yet - my report from the Boston conference; Benchmark compares NoSQL databases
- Director of National Intelligence: No Data Mining in 2012 - Apr 11, 2013.
The Office of the Director of National Intelligence, which includes CIA, says it did not engage in any data mining activity in 2012, while CIA CTO said recently their mission is "To Collect Everything And Hang On To It Forever". We examine the contradiction.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Apr 8-9: Machine Learning and the Jargon - an explainer; What skills are important for a Data Scientist ? - Apr 10, 2013.
Machine Learning and the Jargon - an explainer; What skills are important for a Data Scientist ? A Practical Intro to Data Science from Zipfian Academy; Predictive Modelers don't need to know math, but GOOD ones need to know stats
- KDnuggets 13:n09, Data Science, a profession? Largest Data Analyzed? Cartoon: IRS and Big Data - Apr 10, 2013.
Latest analytics/data mining news, including Features (11) | Software (6) | Webcasts (1) | Courses, Events (3) | Jobs (11) | Competitions (3) | Publications (6) | Tweets (6) | NewsBriefs (4) | CFP (16)
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Apr 5-7: Need to know both sides: Intro to SAS for R programmers; The importance of stupidity in research - Apr 8, 2013.
You need to know both sides: an introduction to SAS for R Programmers; The (unexpected) importance of stupidity in scientific research; R version 3 released - what is new, how to upgrade; The Bubble in Bitcoin, the internet secret currency - can you predict when it will burst?
- Picking Winners In Big Data - Apr 8, 2013.
The value in data world is usually not just in the software, and building on top of Hadoop is not strategy for long term advantage.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Apr 3-4: 100 Savvy Sites on Statistics and Quantitative Analysis; Great Tutorial: Intro to scikit-learn: ML with Python - Apr 5, 2013.
100 Savvy Sites on Statistics and Quantitative Analysis; Great Tutorial: Introduction to scikit-learn: Machine Learning in Python; Graph-Based Recommendation Systems at eBay: modeling taste with Cassandra; DATA MINING CUP 2013 Student competition launched - forecast online orders
- Book: Getting Started with Business Analytics - Apr 4, 2013.
Making no assumptions about your knowledge or technical skills, this book guides you through a journey into the world of business analytics, exploring its contents, capabilities, and applications.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Apr 1-2: People often reveal more online; Caltech free online course: Learning from Data - Apr 3, 2013.
People often reveal more online than they want; Caltech free online course: Learning from Data, Apr 2 - Jun 11; What should a self-respecting Data Scientist wear? #DataScienceHat; Healthcare analytics market to exceed $10B by 2017, will grow 24%/year
- Big Data on Books: Decline of Emotional Expression in 20th Century - Apr 2, 2013.
Study of millions of English language books (using Google Ngram data) finds distinct historical periods of positive and negative moods. Overall, emotion-related words have decreased, except for fear which increased towards the end of 20th century.
- Predictive Analytics: Get Book, Receive Free Online Training - Apr 2, 2013.
To build awareness of Eric Siegel's new, acclaimed book, "Predictive Analytics: The Power to Predict Who Will Click, Buy, Lie, or Die", we're providing an offer you can't refuse if you order the book on Apr 3.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Mar 29-31: Getting Started with Python for Data Scientists; US Computer science enrollments rise astonishing 29 pct - Apr 1, 2013.
Getting Started with Python for Data Scientists; US CS enrollments rise astonishing 29% in 2011-12; 11 segments of Big Data Ecosystem, according to Sqrrl; Doug Cutting, creator of #Hadoop and Lucene, Apache Chair, chief architect of Cloudera