- Wikidata: Wikipedia Free Knowledge Base - Apr 27, 2013.
Wikidata is a centralized knowledge base for Wikipedia and it can be read and edited by humans and machines alike. It currently has over 10M items.
- Lionsolver Machine Learning Approach to Smartphone Data Wins Parkinson Data Challenge - Apr 25, 2013.
Researchers from Lionsolver, Inc won first prize in The Michael J. Fox Foundation's $10K Parkinson Data Challenge which used smart phone to monitor disease progression. In spite of the very sparse data, the winning entry could predict incidence and monitor disease progression with 100% accuracy.
- GDELT: Global Data on Events, Location and Tone - Apr 17, 2013.
The GDELT database: Global Data on Events, Location and Tone, which is an amazing tool for data journalists. The Guardian described it as "a #BigData history of life, the universe and everything"
- June 1 Hackathon at the White House - apply by Apr 19 - Apr 12, 2013.
Participants will focus on producing full, production ready apps and visualization tools that will be featured on the We the People website and made available under an open source license - apply by April 19.
- Bitcoin tools and datasets - Apr 10, 2013.
Bitcoin, a secure and anonymous internet currency, has recently experienced a bubble in value and attention. Here is a very useful (and free) set of data extraction scripts and datasets for analysts interested in Bitcoin.
- Quadrigram platform for customized data visualizations - Apr 8, 2013.
Quadrigram is a highly flexible platform for creating data visualizations and solutions. It uses a visual language, with modules to importing/exporting many data types, performing all kinds of operations, controlling the data flow of data, and a large catalogue of visualizations and visual metaphors.
- Rexer Analytics 2013 Data Miner Survey - Apr 8, 2013.
Data Analysts, Predictive Modelers, Data Scientists, Data Miners, and all other types of analytic professionals, students, and academics: Please participate in the Rexer Analytics 2013 Data Miner Survey. The survey closes on April 22, so please participate now!
- IBM Accelerates Big Data - Apr 4, 2013.
IBM announced several related technologies in a bid to lead the Big Data Market, including a dramatic 8-25x BLU Acceleration for DB2, an easy-to-use Big Data Platform, and a system for Hadoop.