Data Mining / Analytic Publications News, May 2013
Features (17) | Software (5) | Courses, Events (20) | Jobs | Academic | Competitions (6) | Publications (24) | News Briefs (4) Top KDnuggets tweets, Read more »
- Top KDnuggets tweets, May 29-30: #BigData w. R, Python: A Mind Map of All the Packages; If you're disappointed with #BigData - May 31, 2013.
#BigData w. R &Python: A Mind Map of All the Packages You Will Ever Need; If you're disappointed with #BigData, you're not paying attention; Most interesting Big Data Startups; Most popular programming languages
- Top KDnuggets tweets, May 27-28: Must-know Statistical Formulas; Text processing with R #rstats and Python - May 29, 2013.
Must-know Statistical Formulas for hackers, aspiring data miners, data scientist; Text processing with R #rstats and Python; I love MIT Press (publishers of my 1st book on Data Mining) - get 50% off till June 3
- Top KDnuggets tweets, May 24-26: Interesting new tool for data scientists: Wakari; Julia, new data science/statistical language - May 27, 2013.
Interesting new tool for data scientists: Wakari - Web-based Python Data Analysis; Julia, new data science/statistical language , combines best of R & Python; Data Visualization with Nodebox - very cool Python tutorial; When did things turn negative? Great example of using sentiment analysis on ENRON emails
- JDMDH: New Journal of Data Mining and Digital Humanities, submissions due Jun 25 - May 25, 2013.
Journal of Data Mining & Digital Humanities will publish original research, review papers with the focus on Digital Humanities Data. First issue is planned in August, and submissions due June 25.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, May 22-23: Is #BigData like teenage sex? Everyone talks about it, nobody knows how; Must read: On #BigData, Data Intelligence, the Math of War - May 24, 2013.
Is #BigData like teenage sex? Everyone talks about it, nobody knows how to do it; Must read: On #BigData, Data Intelligence, the Mathematics of War; Data scientists don't scale - can you empower knowledge workers to do #BigData analytics? ; Open Data Stack Exchange, it is like Stackoverflow for Open Data
- DJ Patil Lessons Learned from Making Data Product - May 23, 2013.
DJ Patil, Leading Data Scientist turned Venture Capitalist, talks about lessons he learned from making data products. What is the truth and the hype about big data?
- Top KDnuggets tweets, May 20-21: Big Data Journal inaugural issue top articles; An unknown mathematician proves incredibly difficult Prime Gap Theorem - May 22, 2013.
Big Data Journal inaugural issue top articles - open access; An unknown mathematician proves incredibly difficult Prime Gap Theorem; Data visualization darling Tableau closes Day 1 up 64%; Wrangling your graph data
- KDnuggets 13:n13, New Poll: Analytics/DM Software Used? Exclusive Tom HC Anderson Interview; @kdnuggets voted Top Big Data Tweeter - May 22, 2013.
Latest analytics/data mining news, including New Poll: Analytics/DM Software Used? Exclusive Tom HC Anderson Interview; @kdnuggets voted Top Big Data Tweeter; Also Features (11) | Software (1) | Webcasts (4) | Courses, Events (2) | Jobs (11) | Academic (1) | Competitions (3) | Publications (5) | Tweets (6) | NewsBriefs (1) | CFP (26)
- Big Data Journal Top Articles: Open Access - May 21, 2013.
Check these top-read articles from the inaugural issue of the Big Data journal (open access).
- Top KDnuggets tweets, May 17-19: Data Scientist at the CIA, organize and interpret #BigData; Top 3 R resources for beginners #rstats - May 20, 2013.
Data Scientist at the CIA; Top 3 R resources for beginners #rstats; Statistics is becoming more important in #BigData era: Harvard Stats dept growth; The Next Big Thing in #BigData: People Analytics, powered by badges, cell phones
- Top KDnuggets tweets, May 15-16: Annotated dataset of tweets; Will 2014 be the start the end for SAS, SPSS? - May 17, 2013.
Annotated dataset of tweets, for opinion retrieval in Twitter; Will 2014 be the beginning of the end for SAS and SPSS ? Poll Results: In the era of Big Data, Statistics Will Become More Important; Great thread on hacker news in response to "Most data isn't big"
- Top KDnuggets tweets, May 13-14: Shocking: 55% of #BigData Analytics projects fail; Secrets of the #BigData Revolution - May 15, 2013.
Shocking: 55% of #BigData Analytics projects fail, due to lack of talent or biz context; Secrets of the #BigData Revolution: new book looks at Data Science, Big Data, Tools; Useful! The Guerilla Guide to R: reading/writing, dataframes, Lists, Vectors, Gotchas; The 10 Most Influential People in Data Analytics, Data Mining, Predictive Analytics
- Top KDnuggets tweets, May 10-12: FasteR! A Guide to Speeding Up R Code; MIT Luminoso breakthrough in Text Mining - May 13, 2013.
FasteR! A Guide to Speeding Up R Code for Busy People; MIT startup Luminoso claims a breakthrough in Text Mining; Facebook about to launch a Big Play in #BigData Analytics; The #BigData Scientist Skillset: more than just Hadoop, Python, R, Pig, and SQL
- Data Drive Thru: Gregory Piatetsky-Shapiro - May 13, 2013.
Here is an interview I gave to LatentView, discussing Analytics, Big Data, Analytics Solutions and Services, and more.
- Most Data is Not Big? A Discussion - May 13, 2013.
"Most Data is not Big" post generates a very lively discussion among analytics experts - see if you agree, and join the discussion. Is collecting Big Data a distraction from focus on ROI and actionable information?
- Statistical Analysis and Data Mining journal Top Papers Free Access - May 10, 2013.
Read the most popular papers from Statistical Analysis and Data Mining published 2011-2012, with free access. Topics include time series, community discovery, statistical network analysis, room for modeler, convex clustering, and more.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, May 8-9: Essential Data Mining Cheat Sheet; Quandl R Package - 5M free datasets, clever data search - May 10, 2013.
Essential! Data Mining Cheat Sheet - Discovering and Visualizing Patterns with Python; Quandl R Package - 5,000,000 free datasets, clever data search; Has Big Data Made Anonymity Impossible? Yes ; A contrary view: Most data isn't 'big' - Businesses are wasting money pretending it is
- Lavastorm: New Forrester Research - Agile BI Report - Free Download - May 9, 2013.
Download Forrester Research Report "Build an Agile BI Organization" and learn why centralized BI is prone to failure and how to close BI talent gap by empowering business users to roll their own BI apps.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, May 6-7: Stanford Data Mining/Stats Courses Online; Shape of Data, an intuitive geometric introduction - May 8, 2013.
Stanford Data Mining and Statistics Courses Online; The Shape of Data, an intuitive introduction to data algorithms; The "mad scientist" of Hollywood evaluates if a script will make a hit; Stephen McDaniel on Data Science vs Statistics
- KDnuggets 13:n12, Will Big Data Make Statistics Less important? Best Blogs; Data Scientist Now Webinar - May 8, 2013.
New Poll: Big Data vs Statistics, Best Blogs, Data Scientist Now webinar and more analytics/data mining news, including Features (9) | Software (4) | Webcasts (3) | Courses, Events (1) | Meetings (3) | Jobs (9) | Academic (3) | Competitions (1) | Publications (4) | Top Tweets (6) | News Briefs (3) | CFP (13)
- Stephen McDaniel on Data Science vs Statistics - May 6, 2013.
Stephen McDaniel, a noted expert in data science and visualization and founder of Freakalytics, provides his perspective on Data Science vs Statistics debate
- Top KDnuggets tweets, May 3-5: Social network analysis of Boston Marathon Bomber; Hadoop Toolbox: When to use what - May 6, 2013.
What social network analysis says about Boston Marathon Bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev; Hadoop Toolbox: When to use what - a guide to Hadoop, Hbase, Hive, Pig, Sqoop, Oozie, Flum; TweetMap - a fantastic tool to visualize and map tweets in real-time (goodbye, privacy?); 5 free Excel add-ins to help analyze #BigData
- Top KDnuggets tweets, May 1-2: Why all those Data Scientists are not working on Curing Cancer - May 3, 2013.
Why all those Data Scientists are not working on Curing Cancer; Amazon: SDE Data Mining/Text Analysis/Machine Learning;
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Apr 29-30: Best Blogs for Data Miners and Data Scientists; Deep Learning: one of 10 breakthrough technologies of 2013 - May 1, 2013.
Best Blogs for Data Miners and Data Scientists to read; Deep Learning: one of 10 breakthrough technologies of 2013; LinkedIn Data Scientist @dtunkelang on Recommendation Cold Start problem; To succeed with #BigData, you need to have 2 approaches: a Lab and a Factory