Data Mining / Analytic News Briefs, Jun 2013
Features (13) | Software (5) | Courses, Events (14) | Jobs | Academic | Competitions (4) | Publications (23) | News Briefs (15) Hunk: Splunk Analytics Read more »
- Hunk: Splunk Analytics for Hadoop - Jun 30, 2013.Hunk integrates exploration, analysis and visualization of data in Hadoop, and promises dramatic improvements in the speed and simplicity of analyzing data in Hadoop without programming, costly integrations or forced data migrations.
- DataMarket and ProQuest Major New Global Data Portal - Jun 29, 2013.Researchers, students and library users will be able to search, compare, visualize and share billions of key facts and figures about the world, their countries and communities.
- Mu Sigma launches muHPC, packaged MapReduce algorithms for Hadoop - Jun 28, 2013.muHPC is a library of popular statistical algorithms written in MapReduce, designed for enterprise-class Big Data analysis in Hadoop environments. muHPC initially includes R functions for linear modeling, exploratory data analysis, and clustering.
- Karmasphere, Zementis make PMML models available for Hadoop - Jun 26, 2013.Karmasphere and Zementis transform PMML models into industry standard Hive UDF's for Hadoop, to allow data analysts easily use existing models, including from SAS, SPSS and R.
- Datameer 3.0: first ever point-click machine learning functions for Hadoop - Jun 25, 2013.Datameer 3.0 will add new Smart Analytic functions, which, with a single click, will automatically identify patterns, relationships, and even recommendations based on data stored in Hadoop. Sign up as an early adopter.
- Actuate BIRT Analytics adds Predictive Analytics - Jun 22, 2013.New features bring data to life through pattern detection, decision trees, and campaign workflow definition to effectively analyze data and execute campaigns
- NASA Asteroid Grand Challenge - Jun 22, 2013.The challenge is a large-scale effort that will use multi-disciplinary collaborations and partnerships with other government agencies, international partners, industry, academia, and citizen scientists.
- Accel launches 100M Big Data Fund 2 for the 2nd Wave of Big Data Startups - Jun 19, 2013.Accel Big Data Fund 2 will have a different focus its first big data fund, which focused mainly on the 3 Vs of big data: variety, volume and velocity. The second fund will focus on fourth V, which is end user value.
- SiSense first In-Chip Analytics Solution in the Cloud - Jun 19, 2013.SiSense makes Terabyte-range analytics workloads in the Cloud easy and affordable, with costs as low as $1/TB per hour. SiSense will work with Rackspace to reduce cost and complexity from Big Data Cloud deployments.
- Heritage Health 500K Prize awarded; HHP Prize 2 will be $3M "masters" competition with real, not anonymized data - Jun 14, 2013.POWERDOT, a team of former rivals, won $500K for 1st place in Heritage Health Prize. As a followup, HPN is launching a $3 million private "masters" competition, open to the top finishers from the first prize. The second prize will use actual health care data, with little or no anonymization.
- Angoss acquired by Peterson Partners for $8.4 million - Jun 12, 2013.Long-time analytics and data mining software developer Angoss Software acquired by a Utah-based private equity firm.
- Hitachi Global Center for Innovative Analytics (HGC-IA) - Jun 8, 2013.Hitachi Global Center for Innovative Analytics (HGC-IA) will link Hitachi Labs and Business Units in US, Europe and Asia and will focus on Big Data and Analytics solutios in Health Care, Communications and Media, Energy, Transportation, and Mining.
- PRISM: NSA data mining 9 leading Internet firms - Jun 7, 2013.Washington Post and Guardian revealed huge NSA data mining program which gets information directly from servers of nine leading US internet companies: Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Facebook, PalTalk, AOL, Skype, YouTube, and Apple.
- Data Tamer startup from Michael Stonebraker, Still in Stealth Mode - Jun 6, 2013.Data-Tamer is the latest(?) startup founded by legendary DB researcher and serial enterpreneur Michael Stonebraker. It is in stealth mode and says only it plans to "enable organizations to broadly integrate and curate many existing and future data sources efficiently at scale".
- Automated Data Scientist? IBM SPSS Analytic Catalyst - Jun 6, 2013.IBM SPSS Analytic Catalyst is designed to allows non-statisticians to discover statistically interesting results in big data. It is a potentially significant milestone in making data analysis more widely available.