IBM CXO Chat July 29: Segmentation and Big Data with Gregory Piatetsky-Shapiro
Join July 29 twitterchat with Analytics and Data Science expert Gregory Piatetsky-Shapiro, Ph.D, as we discuss “Solving for Segmentation: Is Big Data X ?”
Join us at twubs.com/cxo
“Customer segmentation is the core approach that drives modern target marketing. And when you’re talking segmentation, it’s not long before marketing people start to lump potential customers into various generational, demographic, psychographic, lifestyle, and other oversimplified breakdowns. But you dare not tell the customers to their face how you’re grouping and targeting them.They may not recognize or appreciate the stereotypes you’ve assigned to them. But, from your point of view as a marketing pro, is there any meaningful alternative? Is there any approach other than traditional segmentation practices that helps you identify the specific clusters of product features preferred by distinct customer groupings?”
[ Excerpt from:Generational Segmentation has Become a Marketing Industry Joke]
In our next twitterchat guest,Gregory Piatetsky-Shapiro, Ph.D, joins us as we discuss “Solving for Segmentation: Is Big Data X?”
Here are the questions we’ll be discussing as well as reference articles to help inspire the July 29th discussion at 12 PM EST.
#CXO Chat Discussion Questions:
- What are the benefits and challenges of real-time market segmentation?
- Which companies are succeeding at segmentation and what can we learn from them?
- What are key steps to using analytics to develop needs based customer segments?
- How can customer experience professionals get buy in for customer analytics from the C-Suite?
- How do you use customer contact and channel preferences to identify shifts in customer segments?
- Privacy/legal/ethical issues – can segments be based on lifestyle, age, pregnancy, race? Known vs Inferred ?
- What is the role of social media in customer segmentation?
- Does the trend toward customer experience personalization (customer as a “segment” of one) spell the death knell of traditional customer segmentation (i.e., target customers as groups)?
- How will big data accelerate the trend toward targeting customer experience personalization?
#CXO Chat Reference Articles:
- Generational Segmentation has Become a Marketing Industry Joke, buff.ly/16ehpWY
- IBM’s CEO on data, the death of segmentation and the 18-month deadline, buff.ly/18F8fsz
- Why Understanding Your Customers is Key to Serving Them| 5 Segmentation Lessons from CVS Drugstores, buff.ly/18F9Uyd
#CXO Guest Bio:
Gregory Piatetsky-Shapiro, Ph.D., is a well-known expert in Business Analytics, Data Mining, and Data Science. Gregory is the Editor and Publisher of KDnuggets.com, a Business Analytics “Guru” on Twitter, and a Top Influencer in Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science. Gregory is a co-founder of KDD (Knowledge Discovery and Data mining conferences) and SIGKDD, professional organization for Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining. Gregory has over 60 publications and edited several books and collections on data mining and knowledge discovery.
How do you join in?
If you use a Twitter client like Tweetdeck, HootSuite or Seesmic Desktop, create a search column for the term ‘#CXO’. Then as we tweet with the #CXO hashtag, they will show up in your column.Or you can follow with Twubs – twubs.com/cxo
and it automatically adds the #CXO hashtag
How do you participate?
Just jump right in! Review the discussion questions posted so you can prepare your thoughts and answers. When the question is posed begin your response with A1: for question 1 and A2: for question 2 etc.No answer is wrong! We look forward to seeing you at the #CXO water cooler hosted by @IBMbigdata .
For more information, visit here.