Data Mining / Analytic Publications News, Aug 2013
Data Mining / Analytic Publications News, Aug 2013
- Galit Shmueli: Designing a Business Analytics Program: Structure and Content - Aug 31, 2013.
On her experience designing a Business Analytics certificate program for the Indian School of Business, in terms of content and structure, and the skills and knowledge needed to make a valuable data analyst and a powerful consultant.
- Catching up with Gregory Piatetsky-Shapiro - Aug 31, 2013.
BigML interview with me on how the knowledge discovery field has changed since KDnuggets launch in 1997, the relationship between data mining and machine learning communities, and more.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Aug 28-29: Data Science 101 Important Papers; Using R for Twitter analysis - step by step - Aug 30, 2013.
- Book: Twitter Data Analytics - free download - Aug 30, 2013.
New book, Twitter Data Analytics, explains Twitter data collection, management, and analysis - download a free preprint (PDF) and code examples.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Aug 26-27: Excellent New Book: "Data Science for Business"; R, Python top languages for data mining - Aug 28, 2013.
Excellent New Book: "Data Science for Business" presents fundamental principles; Most popular and trending languages for analytics, data mining: R, Python, SQL, Pig/Hadoop; The decline of a Statistician and the rise of Data scientist (and Data Analyst); Google "20% time" is effectively over
- KDnuggets 13:n21, R, Python top languages for data mining; Data Science education options - Aug 28, 2013.
R, Python, and SQL are the most popular languages for data mining, and more analytics/data mining news, including Features (9) | Software (1) | Webcasts (2) | Courses, Events (3) | Meetings (4) | Jobs (5) | Academic (3) | Competitions (1) | Publications (2) | Tweets (3) | NewsBriefs (2) | CFP (13)
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Aug 23-25: Hottest areas for CS Research, according to Google; U. of Waikato MOOC on Data Mining - Aug 26, 2013.
Hottest areas for CS Research, according to Google; U. of Waikato, home of open-source WEKA Data Mining suite, launches MOOC on Data Mining; Beware of the "giraffes" in your data: very large outliers which dominate their area; Revolution Analytics Big Data Sets you can use with R
- New Book: Data Science for Business, by Provost and Fawcett - Aug 26, 2013.
This book is for those who need to understand data science/data mining broadly and those who want to develop their skill at data-analytic thinking. It presents fundamental principles which are the foundation for many data mining techniques, and the basis for approaching business problems data-analytically.
- ACM KDD 2013, Chicago: Report by Dirk Van den Poel - Aug 25, 2013.
Read Dirk Van den Poel excellent and detailed reports and photographs from KDD-2013 conference in Chicago, August 10-14 - one of the prime events in the data mining, big data, and data science.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Aug 16-22: 11 Tips on how to handle #BigData in R; Lessons from a Crash Course in Data Science - Aug 23, 2013.
11 Tips on how to handle #BigData in R (and one bad pun); Lessons from a Crash Course in Data Science; Inspirational: 2013 ICML Classic Paper winner was rejected by NIPS; Amazing Map shows every person in USA: Segregation, diversity, and clustering
- LIONbook Chapter 7: Ranking and selecting features - Aug 23, 2013.
The LIONbook on machine learning and optimization, written by co-founders of LionSolver software, is provided free on a chapter by chapter basis for personal and non-profit usage. Chapter 7 examines the process of feature selection, a key step in getting more accurate and understandable models.
- Forbes on Data Science: "Half-Life Of A Buzzword" - Aug 20, 2013.
Read the discussion on the half-life of a buzzword and is "Data Science" replacing "Business Analytics" as the popular degree title for people interested in data and analytics.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Aug 14-15: Andrew Ng explains Deep Learning; Advances in K-means Clustering, Free eBook - Aug 16, 2013.
Andrew Ng explains Deep Learning, the breakthrough Machine Learning technique; Advances in K-means Clustering: A Data Mining Thinking - Free eBook Share; How a "Deviant" Philosopher Built Palantir, a CIA-Funded Data-Mining Juggernaut; Top 10 KDnuggets tweets, Aug 12-13: A Beginner Guide to Data Visualization
- KDnuggets 13:n20, KDD-2013: Trends, Startups, Social Networks, Coursera; Data Platforms, Marketplaces - Aug 16, 2013.
My reports on highlights of KDD-2013 Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, and other news, including Features (7) | Software (5) | Webcasts (1) | Courses, Events (1) | Jobs (3) | Academic (1) | Competitions (1) | Publications (2) | Tweets (4) | NewsBriefs (1) | CFP (11)
- Coursera Andrew Ng on Online Revolution: Education for Everyone - Aug 15, 2013.
My report on KDD-2013 Keynote talk by Coursera co-founder Andrew Ng, on Coursera far-reaching experiment in education, which collected more educational data in one year and all the universities in the history of mankind. Andrew Ng believes that great education should not be only for the privileged but should be a fundamental human right.
- Data Scientists Guide to Making Money from Start-ups - Aug 15, 2013.
How should data scientists think about starting or joining a start-up? We summarize the advice from a high-powered KDD-2013 panel of leading data scientists/enterpreneurs who share their start-up experience.
- Mining a Data Mining Conference: Analytics on KDD-2013 - Aug 15, 2013.
We look at interesting analytics and statistics from KDD-2013 Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining. Which topics are hot, and which are most likely to be accepted?
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Aug 12-13: A Beginner Guide to Data Visualization; What most recent Kaggle winners used - Aug 14, 2013.
A Beginner Guide to Data Visualization - when to use which charts; Most recent Kaggle winners used either Ensembles of decision trees of Deep learning; Who is more dangerous: Data scientist with poor domain knowledge or ...; Coursera collected more educational data in one year than all the universities in the history of mankind
- KDD-2013 NodeXL Twitter Social Network, updated - Aug 14, 2013.
Here is an updated version of NodeXL Twitter Social network for KDD-2013, a premier conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining. We examine the top nodes, topics, and clusters.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Aug 9-11: 3 types of Dark data (more important than #BigData); Nate Silver 11 principles for data journalists - Aug 12, 2013.
Dark data is more important than #BigData, and 3 types of Dark data; Nate Silver 11 principles for data journalists; Jeff Hawkins: Where open source and machine learning meet #BigData; The Making of Facebook Graph Search - engineers tell the fascinating inside story
- NodeXL Social Network for KDD-2013 - Aug 12, 2013.
Marc Smith, a leading social network researcher and creator of NodeXL, made an interesting visualization of social/twitter connections at KDD-2013 conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (Aug 11-14, Chicago).
- Nate Silver at JSM: 11 statistics principles for journalists - Aug 10, 2013.
Nate Silver gave an invited talk at the Joint Statistical Meeting in Montreal and besides being modest and witty, he outlined 11 statistics principles for journalists
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Aug 7-8: Watch: Machine Learning, Hottest Tech Trend; 50 tools for Data viz, exploration - Aug 9, 2013.
Watch: Machine Learning - Hottest Tech Trend for next 5 yrs, w. Jeremy Howard, Peter Norvig; Great collection: 50 tools for self-service Data exploration and Visualization; More data + Simple algorithms beat Complex Analytics (but useless w/out smart questions); The Science behind Netflix Algorithms that decide what you watch next
- LIONbook Chapter 6: Rules, decision trees, and forests - Aug 8, 2013.
The LIONbook on machine learning and optimization, written by co-founders of LionSolver software, is provided free on a chapter by chapter basis for personal and non-profit usage. This chapter provides a clear explanation of the most popular machine learning methods.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Aug 5-6: R jobs up, SAS jobs down; Mahout Machine Learning; $1M Data Science salary? - Aug 7, 2013.
R jobs are increasing, SAS jobs decline, SPSS jobs are flat, COBOL still around; Mahout: Machine Learning on Hadoop for Enterprise Data Science; Big Data Hype reaches new high: Data Scientist job with a $1 Million salary ! New version of R Reference Card for Data Mining
- KDnuggets 13:n19, New Poll: Languages used for Analytics/Data Mining; BBC on The Age of Data - Aug 7, 2013.
Latest analytics/data mining news, including Features (9) | Software (5) | Webcasts (3) | Courses, Events (1) | Meetings (3) | Jobs (3) | Academic (1) | Competitions (3) | Publications (3) | Tweets (3) | CFP (9)
- IBM CXO Tweetchat, Segmentation and Big Data, with Gregory Piatetsky-Shapiro - Aug 5, 2013.
Here is a summary of IBM #CXO tweetchat on Customer Segmentation in the age of Big Data - are demographic, psychographic, lifestyle, and other buckets made obsolete by personalized predictions and recommendations? The tweetchat was so intense, #cxo briefly became the Top Twitter Trend.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Aug 2-4: The Age of Big Data - BBC Documentary; 10 Enterprise Predictive Analytics Platforms Compared - Aug 5, 2013.
The Age of Big Data - BBC Documentary; 10 Enterprise Predictive Analytics Platforms Compared: IBM, Statsoft, Revolution Analytics lead; FOAS becomes hottest thing in open source data science; Nice Infographic: #BigData in Big Companies - suitable for non-techie friends or managers
- The Age of Big Data - BBC Documentary - Aug 3, 2013.
The BBC documentary follows people who mine Big Data, including LAPD police officers who use data to predict crime, a London scientist/trader who makes millions with math, and a South African astronomer who wants to catalogs the entire cosmos.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jul 31 - Aug 1: Data Scientist interview questions; 60+ R resources; @hmason move and response - Aug 2, 2013.
Data Scientist needs to have many skills - here is a collection of interview question; 60+ R resources, sites, software, books, blogs, and more; Very impressive visualization of terrorist activity with Tableau; Hacker tricks revealed: everything you wanted to know about SQL injection
- Using Talent Analytics to Build Analytics Dream Teams - Aug 1, 2013.
Analytics thought leader Greta Roberts offers rare insight into some of these secrets and provides step-by-step, practical processes for building the Analytics Dream Team you need - watch this webinar on-demand.