2013 IEEE ICDM Outstanding Service Award: Professor Geoff Webb
Geoff Webb has been an active promoter of ICDM conference since its inception, and has many contributions to the entire data mining field, as Editor-in-Chief of Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery journal, as organizer and PC member of many top conferences, and as an active researcher in data mining.
2013 IEEE ICDM Outstanding Service Award
goes to Professor Geoff Webb.
The IEEE ICDM Outstanding Award is given to one individual or one group who has made major service contributions that have promoted data mining as a field and ICDM as the world's premier research conference in data mining. The 2013 IEEE ICDM Outstanding Service Award goes to Dr. Geoff Webb, Professor of Computer Science at Monash University, Australia.
Geoff Webb has been a professor at Monash University, Melbourne, Australia since 2002 and before that was at Griffith and Deakin Universities. He is Director of the Monash Centre for Research in Intelligent Systems and Founder and Managing Director of data mining software development and consultancy company G.I. Webb & Associates. He has a long history of promoting ICDM and the data mining field. He has been actively involved in ICDM since its inception as a paper author, reviewer, and organizer. He has served as General Co-Chair (2012), Program Co-Chair (2010), Panels Chair (2007) and Program Vice Chair (2002).
Professor Webb's service to the broader data mining community includes
- Editor-in-Chief of Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery (2004 ~ ongoing);
- Editorial Advisory Board member of Statistical Analysis & Data Mining (2007 ~ ongoing);
- Editorial Board member of ACM Transactions on Knowledge Discovery in Data (2005 ~ ongoing), Machine Learning (2003 ~ ongoing), Knowledge and Information Systems (2002 ~ 2005) and User Modeling and User-Adapted Interaction (1999 ~ 2008).
He is Co-Editor of the Encyclopedia of Machine Learning. His contributions to conference organisation include General Chair of Pacific Rim International Conference on Artificial Intelligence (2000), Program Co-Chair of Australian Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (2004), Panels Co-Chair of ACM SIGKDD Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (2013), membership of the steering committees of the Pacific Rim International Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Asian Conference on Machine Learning, and membership of the Australian Computer Society National Committee on Artificial Intelligence and Expert Systems.
2013 IEEE ICDM Nomination and Evaluation Committees
- Wei Wang (Co-Chair), University of California at Los Angeles, USA
- Xindong Wu (Co-Chair), University of Vermont, USA
- Christopher W. Clifton, Purdue University, USA
- Jerome H. Friedman, Stanford University, USA
- David J. Hand, Imperial College, London, UK
- Vipin Kumar, University of Minnesota, USA
- Geoff McLachlan, University of Queensland, Australia
- Heikki Mannila, Aalto University, Finland
- Shusaku Tsumoto, Shimane University, Japan
- Benjamin W. Wah, Chinese University of Hong Kong, China
- Osmar R. Zaiane, University of Alberta, Canada