Data Mining, Data Science, and Analytics
Features, News, and Software – Oct 2013
All (109) | News, Software (30) | Courses, Events (28) | Jobs | Academic | Publications (32) Chordalysis: Free software for Log-linear analysis of Big Read more »
- Chordalysis: Free software for Log-linear analysis of Big Data - Oct 30, 2013.
Chordalysis is a log-linear analysis method for big data, which exploits recent discoveries in graph theory by representing complex models as compositions of triangular structures (aka chordal graphs).
- SiSense Crowd Accelerated Analytics - Oct 29, 2013.
SiSense unveils Crowd Accelerated Analytics, which gets faster with more users, who benefit from each other queries. SiSense showcases In-Chip 2.0 technology at Strata + Hadoop World and opens NYC headquarters.
- Poll: Big Data effect on Data Science is minor - Oct 29, 2013.
Latest KDnuggets poll results say that Big Data has only partial effect on Data Science, and does not change fundamental Data Science principles
- import.io doubles Web APIs for web data mining - Oct 28, 2013.
Data Factory is a Chrome extension for quick access to import.io library of web APIs, for converting a web page into a table of data. import.io launched Data Factory with 1,000 public APIs and plans to release 10,000 by end of 2013.
- Splice Machine Real-time transactional SQL-on-Hadoop Limited Release - Oct 27, 2013.
Company seeks evaluators to validate authentic use cases, test SQL coverage and benchmark performance; initial results show a 10x improvement in hardware price/performance over Oracle databases.
- Top news for Oct 20-26: 7 Steps for Learning Data Mining; IEEE BigData 2013 report - Oct 27, 2013.
7 Steps for Learning Data Mining and Data Science; IEEE BigData 2013 report; Top jobs: Applied Data Scientist at Intel; Big Data Analyst at RightCareSolutions
- Develve statistical software (beta) - Oct 21, 2013.
Develve statistical software (beta), written by Frank Pauw, aims for a direct experience of your data, with no deep hidden menus, making all functions directly accessible, and results directly visible.
- Society of Data Miners to launch at PAW London - Oct 20, 2013.
New Society of Data Miners will be launched at Predictive Analytics World, London on 23 Oct 2013. It will have to compete with SIGKDD, INFORMS, and other groups in this field.
- Top news for Oct 13-19: 7 Steps for Learning Data Mining; Predictive Analytics in China - Oct 20, 2013.
7 Steps for Learning Data Mining and Data Science; Predictive Analytics in China; Exclusive: Cognitive Mining and Data Mining; Top jobs: Senior Data Scientist - Discovery and Personalization at Netflix; Applied Data Scientist at Intel
- 2013 IEEE ICDM Research Contributions Award: Professor Hans-Peter Kriegel - Oct 19, 2013.
Hans-Peter Kriegel is recognized for his outstanding contributions to data mining and knowledge discovery research over a wide range of topics including clustering, outlier detection and high-dimensional data analysis.
- 2013 IEEE ICDM Outstanding Service Award: Professor Geoff Webb - Oct 19, 2013.
Geoff Webb has been an active promoter of ICDM conference since its inception, and has many contributions to the entire data mining field, as Editor-in-Chief of Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery journal, as organizer and PC member of many top conferences, and as an active researcher in data mining.
- Data Elite: Andreessen Horowitz Big Data incubator - Oct 18, 2013.
A new Big Data lab was launched by top VC firms in San Francisco, with plans to support 5-10 Big Data startups at a time, and providing them with space and mentorship to get started.
- BBVA Innova Data Mining Challenge - Oct 17, 2013.
First time ever a bank (BBVA) allows developers and researchers to use anonymized card transaction data to design new services, applications and content, and to creating stunning visualizations.
- BabelNet multilingual encyclopedic dictionary and ontology - Oct 16, 2013.
BabelNet is a multilingual "encyclopedic dictionary" and a multilingual ontology created by mapping the Wikipedia to WordNet, the top English computational lexicon, and by integrating other lexical resources such as OmegaWiki and the Open Multilingual WordNet.
- Alteryx, Revolution Analytics Partner to Simplify and Scale R-Based Predictive Analytics - Oct 15, 2013.
Each company will bundle the other technology with its offerings and will continue to expand integration in future software releases.
- Has Big Data significantly changed Data Science? - Oct 15, 2013.
New KDnuggets Poll is asking: Has Big Data significantly changed Data Science principles and practice? Please vote.
- Innocentive: Show Me The Data - ideation challenge - Oct 14, 2013.
The goal is to identify high-quality, anonymous, and unbiased longitudinal data sets that monitor education, work, life and career experiences of people of ages 5 to 65.
- Top news for Oct 6-12: 3 Free Big Data books on Amazon; 7 Steps for Learning Data Mining and Data Science - Oct 13, 2013.
3 Free Big Data books on Amazon; 7 Steps for Learning Data Mining and Data Science; Circle of Trust and Google Plus; Top jobs: Big Data/Econometric Internship at Democrats for Education Reform; Data Mining Scientist at Apple
- Corral: 100 Diverse Big Data Collections - Oct 11, 2013.
To keep large scientific data for long periods of time special-purpose technologies and expertise are required. That is the purpose of Corral big data repository, which is celebrating addition of 100th unique scientific research collection.
- Kaggle: See Click Predict Fix - Oct 11, 2013.
What makes an issue urgent? What do citizens really care about? How much does location matter? Predict the most pressing 311 topics.
- 7 Steps for Learning Data Mining and Data Science - Oct 10, 2013.
How to learn data mining and data science? I outline seven steps and point you to resources for becoming a data scientist.
- DataDealer: Serious Gaming with Data Privacy - Oct 7, 2013.
Can we educate people about privacy via gaming? DataDealer is an award-winning new game, where a consumer manages the privacy of other people and organizations.
- LSHTC4: Large Scale Hierarchical Text classification - Oct 7, 2013.
This challenge has three tracks and is based on two very large, multi-class, multi-label and hierarchical datasets created from the ODP web directory (DMOZ) and Wikipedia.
- Top news for Sep 29 - Oct 5: Fundamental Concepts and Algorithms, free book (draft) download; Statistical modeling: 2 cultures - Oct 6, 2013.
Data Mining and Analysis: Fundamental Concepts and Algorithms, free PDF download (draft); Statistical Modeling: The Two Cultures, by Leo Breiman; To Hadoop or Not to Hadoop?
Top jobs: Sr. Data Mining Analyst at Genworth Financial, Richmond, VA; Data Mining Scientist at Apple, Austin, TX;
- September Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining companies and startups - Oct 5, 2013.
The September 2013 acquisitions, startups, and company activity in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science: SAP buys KXEN, Rocket Fuel IPO, Clarabridge Indisys, Narrative Science, Practice Fusion and more.
- WibiData releases Kiji Chirashi framework for Big Data Applications - Oct 4, 2013.
Kiji is an open source framework for building big data apps with Apache HBase, launched by WibiData to fill the gap between a key-value store functionality and the needs of a predictive modeling application.
- Colombia OHCHR RFP: Pilot Text Mining Project - Oct 3, 2013.
Colombian UN Office for Human Rights is looking for proposals for a pilot project using text-mining software to effectively explore and analyze scanned text documents.
- IMARS: IBM Multimedia Analysis and Retrieval System - Oct 1, 2013.
IMARS is a desktop system for automatic indexing, classification, and searching of large collections of digital images and videos.
- Top news, jobs in September: Cartoon: Next Trend after Big Data; Poll results: Has Big Data Reached the Hype Peak? - Oct 1, 2013.
KDnuggets Cartoon: Next Trend after Big Data; New Poll: Has Big Data Reached the Hype Peak and is due for Decline and Disillusionment?; edX: Learning from Data, free online course
Top jobs: Data Mining Scientist at Apple, Austin, TX; Machine Learning Scientists at Amazon, Bangalore, India;
- Additions to KDnuggets Directory in September - Oct 1, 2013.
Luminoso, Quadbase, Skyttle, Vitria, Zoomdata, and more companies, datasets, education, Big Data and Analytics meetings, software, and solutions added to KDnuggets.