- Yahoo SAMOA, Open Source Platform for Mining Big Data Streams - Nov 30, 2013.
Yahoo SAMOA (Scalable Advanced Massive Online Analysis) is a framework for mining big data streams and applying distributed machine learning algorithms. You can think of SAMOA as Mahout for streaming.
- Project Tycho digitized 125 years of Public Health and Disease Data - Nov 29, 2013.
Project Tycho: UPitt researchers have collected and digitized all weekly surveillance reports for reportable diseases in the United States going back more than 125 years.
- Cartoon: Thanksgiving, Big Data, and Turkey Data Science - Nov 25, 2013.
To mark the the upcoming Thanksgiving Holiday, KDnuggets Cartoon imagines Big Data and Turkey Data Science.
- Top news for Nov 17-23: Harvard Data Science Course, free resources online; Huge Web Graph available - Nov 24, 2013.
Harvard CS109 Data Science Course, Resources Free and Online; WDC Huge Web Graph - 128 billion hyperlinks - publicly available; KDnuggets Review of Analytics Marketplaces
- RapidMiner 6 adds application wizards, better visualization, ease of use - Nov 21, 2013.
The new application wizards put the power of predictive analytics into the hands of the business users and deliver the value within 5 minutes of installation. Other new features include suggestions for best visualization and ability to display results in multiple ways.
- SBP 2014 Grand Challenge: explore GDELT, Global Database of Events, Language and Tone - Nov 18, 2013.
Explore the Global Database of Events, Language and Tone (GDELT), covering 250M geo-referenced political news events since 1979, to do interesting tasks, such as show applications of spatial, temporal and network methodologies, find latent "influencers", validate and improve models for social phenomena, and more.
- Top news for Nov 10-16: Field Guide to Data Science, free download; Chordalysis: a new method to discover data structure - Nov 17, 2013.
Booz Allen "Field Guide to Data Science" - free download; Chordalysis: a new method to discover the structure of data; IBM Opens the Watson Cognitive Platform for Developers.
- WDC Huge Web Graph - 128 billion hyperlinks - publicly available - Nov 16, 2013.
Huge Web Graph, with 3.5 billion pages and 128 billion hyperlinks is now publicly available for web and network research. This is probably the largest publicly available graph.
- New Poll: Where did you apply Analytics/Data Mining/Data Science? - Nov 16, 2013.
New KDnuggets Poll: Where did you apply Analytics/Data Mining/Data Science in 2013? Please vote on www.kdnuggets.com.
- IBM Analytics Talent Assessment For Aspiring Data Scientists - Nov 15, 2013.
IBM Analytics Talent Assessment will be launched at 8 universities to provide students with data-driven insights that aim to help narrow the Big Data and Analytics skills gap and foster talent for the next-generation workforce.
- Big Data Influencers Q4 2013 - Nov 15, 2013.
Onalytica 2013 Q4 list of #BigData Influencers on Tweeter is led by @KirkDBorne, @jameskobielus, @timoelliott, @BernardMarr, and @kdnuggets. We compare their list with Klout and find only one intersection among top influencers.
- Boston Data Festival and Next Trends in Big Data - Nov 14, 2013.
Boston first-ever Data Festival gathers hundreds of analytics professionals, and All-Star Big Data panel answers what is next in Big Data and which trends are least likely to be successful.
- IBM Opens the Watson Cognitive Platform for Developers - Nov 14, 2013.
IBM opens the Watson Cognitive Platform to global community of developers, wants to fuel a new era of intelligent cognitive apps built in the cloud.
- EMVIC 2014: Eye Movements Verification and Identification Competition - Nov 13, 2013.
The aim of the contest is to determine how people may be identified based on their eye movement characteristic. No special equipment required - the organizers provide a dataset of eye movement recordings.
- NYU, Berkeley, UW multi-million partnership to harness potential of data scientists and Big Data - Nov 13, 2013.
NYU, UC Berkeley and U. of Washington launch a 5-year, $37.8M cross-institutional effort, which aims to improve interactions between researchers in specific subjects and computational experts, develop an ecosystem of analytical tools and research practices, and establish data-centric career paths.
- KPMG Capital Investment Fund for Big Data and Analytics - Nov 12, 2013.
KPMG Capital will support technology partnerships, strategic alliances and the recruitment of top talent to create new Data and Analytics solutions. Currently, 69% of business leaders see data and analytics as strategically important, but only 4% say their company is using them effectively.
- Yandex Personalized Web Search Challenge - Nov 12, 2013.
The challenge ask participants to re-rank URLs of each SERP returned by the search engine according to the personal preferences of the users - personalize search using the long-term (user history based) and short-term (session-based) user context.
- Chordalysis: a new method to discover the structure of data - Nov 12, 2013.
This new method helps you answer "why" - understand the reasons for prediction. It uses chordal graphs to scale the classical method of log-linear analysis to much larger datasets.
- Top news for Nov 3-9: 7 Steps for Learning Data Mining; Twitter and Quantum Physics? John Tukey "Badmandments" - Nov 10, 2013.
7 Steps for Learning Data Mining and Data Science; John Tukey "Badmandments"; Yang-Mills: A million dollar connection between Twitter and quantum physics?
Top jobs: Advanced Data Mining Engineer StubHub at eBay; Multiple PhD vacancies on Process Mining at TU/E
- October Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining companies and startups activity - Nov 7, 2013.
The October 2013 acquisitions, startups, and company activity in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science: Monsanto buys Climate Corp for $1.1B, MongoDB raises $150M, Facebook buys Onavo, Pivotal buys Xtreme Labs.
- NineSigma RFP: Numerical Data Retrieval Algorithm Using Natural Language - Nov 7, 2013.
NineSigma is seeking a software algorithm that uses a natural language query to retrieve matching results from large-scale time-series data sets created from measurements taken at industrial plant facilities. Submit by Nov 25.
- Plot.ly, collaborative data analysis and graphing - Nov 6, 2013.
Plotly allows you bring your data from anywhere, clean it up fast, analyze or simulate, and graph it interactively, and share and collaborate.
- RapidMiner gets $5M funding, rebrands, plans expansion - Nov 4, 2013.
RapidMiner, formerly Rapid-I, raised $5M from VCs that backed MySQL; Rebrands as RapidMiner with a new web site, renaming of predictive analytics product line; moves headquarters to Boston.
- Yang-Mills: A million dollar connection between Twitter and quantum physics? - Nov 3, 2013.
Is there a link between Social network connections, as revealed on Twitter, and Quantum Physics, specifically Quantum Yang-Mills theory, one of Millenium $1 Million math problems?
- Top news for Oct 27 - Nov 2: Free Book: Advanced Text Mining; Strata 2013 Videos; 7 Steps for Learning Data Mining - Nov 3, 2013.
Free Book: Theory and Applications for Advanced Text Mining; Strata 2013 Videos; 7 Steps for Learning Data Mining; Top jobs: Adjunct Faculty, develop, teach on/off-line courses on Data Mining, Data Science at NYU; Text Mining Sentiment Analyst at SCM
- Datameer $49 Charity Edition: Leveraging Hadoop to Help Save Elephants - Nov 1, 2013.
Hadoop was named after a toy elephant but it can help save real African Elephants. To help pay for the care, feeding, and rehabilitation of orphaned elephants, Datameer will donate 100% of proceeds from sales in November of its new $49 Charity Edition to Pro Wildlife.
- Top news in October: 7 Steps for Learning Data Mining; 3 Free Big Data books; To Hadoop or Not? - Nov 1, 2013.
7 Steps for Learning Data Mining and Data Science; 3 Free Big Data books from O'Reilly on Amazon; To Hadoop or Not to Hadoop?
Top jobs: Senior Data Scientist - Discovery and Personalization at Netflix, Los Gatos, CA; Applied Data Scientist at Intel Corporation, Hillsboro, Oregon;
- Additions to KDnuggets Directory in October - Nov 1, 2013.
Asia Analytics, Corral Big Data repository, Chordalysis, IBM IMARS, SQLPASS 2014, Quantcell, and more Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science companies, datasets, education, faq, meetings, and software.