KDnuggets™ News 13:n12, May 8
Features (9) | Software (4) | Webcasts (3) | Courses, Events (1) | Meetings (3) | Jobs (9) | Academic (3) | Competitions (1) | Publications (4) | Tweets (6) | NewsBriefs (3) | CFP (13) | Quote
- New Poll: Will Big Data Make Statistics Less Important? - May 7, 2013.
The explosive growth of Big Data enables many data-driven methods such as deep learning which are not based on classical statistics. Will Big Data and Data Science make Statistics less, or more important? Please vote
- Data Scientist Now, Webinar May 14 - May 2, 2013.
Join Carla Gentry (Analytical Solution), David Smith (Revolution Analytics), Gregory Piatetsky (KDnuggets), and Eric Kavanagh for an open panel webinar on Data Science Now, May 14, organized by Kalido.
- Best Blogs for Data Miners and Data Scientists - Apr 30, 2013.
What are the best blogs for data miners and data scientists to read? I summarize the discussion on Quora and add my favorites.
- PAW: Predictive Analytics World, Chicago, June 10-13 - May 7, 2013.
Charge your expertise with the latest methodologies, connect with your peers, and experience unmatched networking and learning at PAW Chicago - June 10-13, 2013. Register by June 9 and save.
- Stanford Data Mining and Statistics Courses Online - May 6, 2013.
Become indispensable with Stanford Data Mining and Statistics Courses Online
- Additions to KDnuggets Directory in April - May 1, 2013.
GDELT: Global Data on Events, Quadrigram visualization platform, 12 new blogs, new companies, datasets, education, meetings, publications, and software.
- Top news, jobs in April: Top LinkedIn Groups for Analytics, Big Data; Learning from "Learning from Data" - May 1, 2013.
Top 30 LinkedIn Groups for Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science; IBM Accelerates Big Data; Caltech Prof. Abu-Mostafa on his MOOC course "Learning from Data" and Machine Learning;
Top jobs: Data Analytics Scientist at Archimedes; Machine Learning Scientist at Accretive Health
- Top news for Apr 28 - May 4: Best Blogs for Data Miners/Scientists; Hedonometer; Is Data Science The End of Statistics? - May 5, 2013.
Best Blogs for Data Miners and Data Scientists; Is Data Science The End of Statistics? Hedonometer
Top jobs: Analytics Intern at Bitly; SDE, Data Mining/ Text Analysis/ Machine Learning at Amazon
- Top news for Apr 21-27: Top 30 LinkedIn Groups for Analytics; Machine Learning solves Parkinson's diagnosos - Apr 28, 2013.
Top 30 LinkedIn Groups for Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science; Lionsolver Machine Learning Approach to Smartphone Data Wins Parkinson Data Challenge;
Top jobs: Machine Learning Scientist at Amazon; BI Developer at Epic Systems
- Hedonometer: Twitter Happiness Measure - What does it say - May 3, 2013.
We examine the daily happiness on Twitter, as measured by Hedonometer, and look at Happiest and unhappiest days of the year and of the week.
- Facebook Data Mining by Stephen Wolfram - Apr 25, 2013.
Stephen Wolfram data mines anonymized Facebook data from over a million people who used Wolfram|Alpha personal facebook analytics. See what he found and how you can analyze your facebook data.
- Wikidata: Wikipedia Free Knowledge Base - Apr 27, 2013.
Wikidata is a centralized knowledge base for Wikipedia and it can be read and edited by humans and machines alike. It currently has over 10M items.
- Lionsolver Machine Learning Approach to Smartphone Data Wins Parkinson Data Challenge - Apr 25, 2013.
Researchers from Lionsolver, Inc won first prize in The Michael J. Fox Foundation's $10K Parkinson Data Challenge which used smart phone to monitor disease progression. In spite of the very sparse data, the winning entry could predict incidence and monitor disease progression with 100% accuracy.
- CUNY Webinar: Big Data, Bigger Careers, May 22 - May 7, 2013.
Join a panel of data analytics experts for a discussion of Big Data, and learn how the affordable Online MS in Data Analytics at CUNY SPS can prepare you to be a part of it.
- Live Webcast: Analytically Speaking featuring Russ Wolfinger, May 22 - May 4, 2013.
From genetics to marketing to industry, a mixed-model approach is useful for dealing with missing data and computing more accurate estimates - learn best practices and innovative visualizations in this webcast.
- Webinar: Data Mining: Failure to Launch [May 14] - May 2, 2013.
Learn how to get started with predictive modeling and overcome strategic and tactical limitations that cause data mining projects to fall short of their potential. Next webinar is May 14.
- TMA Courses in Data Analytics [June: Denver; Aug: San Jose] - May 2, 2013.
Get up to speed in data mining faster and more effectively than with any other training program available. Next courses in Denver, CO and San Jose, CA.
- DMCS 2013: Data Mining Case Studies and Data Mining Practice Prize CFP - May 7, 2013.
DMCS will highlight data mining implementations that have been responsible for a significant and measurable improvement in business operations, or an equally important scientific discovery, or some other benefit to humanity. Early submissions due June 8.
- Text and Social Analytics Summit, Boston, June 5-6: best practice case studies - May 1, 2013.
Attend Text and Social Analytics Summit, Boston, June 5-6, and meet a top-notch audience of end users, learn from case studies by leading corporations, and check co-located Customer Analytics Summit. Special discount for KDnuggets readers.
- Sentiment Analysis Symposium, New York, May 8, 2013 - Apr 29, 2013.
Attend the premier event covering social media and social intelligence for customer experience, finance, healthcare, market research, and media applications. Special discount for KDnuggets subscribers.
- Data Scientist at MethodCare, Chicago, IL - May 6, 2013.
MethodCare is the leading provider of big data analytics for healthcare organizations, and is growing rapidly. We need a talented and experienced Data Scientist who thrives in a fast paced, start-up environment.
- Principal Data Scientist at LifeLock, Tempe, AZ (preferred) or Sunnyvale, CA - May 6, 2013.
Are you interested in spearheading LifeLock's next stage of growth utilizing terabytes of consumer behavioral data? Can you think out of the box to envision which data insights will resonate with our members and transform how identities are established, used, and protected?
- Sr. Software Development Engineer - Cloud/ Big Data at Amazon, Seattle, WA - May 1, 2013.
Build machine learning solutions that enhance the richness and quality of the world's largest product catalog utilizing cloud computing, big data analytics, machine learning algorithms, and crowd sourcing.
- Software Development Engineer, Data Mining/ Text Analysis/ Machine Learning at Amazon, Seattle, WA - May 1, 2013.
Develop algorithms and build systems to automatically solve a variety of Information Retrieval and Data Mining problems related to the Amazon Product Catalog.
- Analytics Intern at Bitly, New York, NY - Apr 30, 2013.
- Dataminer - Analytical and Predictive Marketing at BNP Paribas Fortis, Brussel, Belgium - Apr 30, 2013.
L'equipe "Analytical & Predictive Marketing" joue un role cle au coeur du departement marketing de BNP Paribas Fortis Retail et Private Banking. Het team Analytical and Predicitve Marketing speelt een belangrijke rol binnen het marketing departement van Retail and Private Banking van BNP Paribas Fortis.
- Big Data Engineer at BehaviorMatrix, Blue Bell, PA (outside Philadelphia) - Apr 27, 2013.
A talented, energetic individual with demonstrated excellence in delivering robust solutions based on leading-edge technologies in the field of big data analytics.
- Machine Learning Scientist at Amazon, Seattle, WA - Apr 26, 2013.
Amazon's Search & Discovery group is looking for a Machine Learning scientist to analyze huge datasets using cloud computing and design scalable machine learning algorithms to build the world's most complete, accurate and authoritative product catalog.
- Amazon Instant Video Content Discovery - Software Development Engineer at Amazon.com, Seattle, WA - Apr 25, 2013.
Work on our video personalization, recommendation, and discovery algorithms and deliver a delightful experience personalized for each customer.
- Faculty positions in Analytics at Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore - Apr 25, 2013.
Looking for candidates with PhD in (Applied) Mathematics, Industrial Engineering, Computer Science, Econometrics, Operations Research, and related fields with expertise in Data mining of huge data sets, Statistics, and traffic management.
- Postdoctoral position at KULeuven, Belgium - May 5, 2013.
Two year position focusing on information extraction from text. The candidate should have several publications in major conferences or journals in thecomputational linguistics, machine learning and/or AI.
- Faculty in Machine Learning, Data Mining at Monash, Melbourne, Australia - May 3, 2013.
Monash, a leading international university, has four Tenurable Faculty positions open. We are seeking outstanding researchers in machine learning and data mining amongst other areas. Apply by June 13, 2013.
- Innocentive: Data Relationships Visualization of Thomson Reuters Web of Science - May 6, 2013.
Build a programmatic interface or "app" using Thomson Reuters Web of Knowledge API that enables users to explore data relationships in an engaging or visual way.
- Is Data Science The End of Statistics? A Discussion - Apr 29, 2013.
Here is an interesting discussion on LinkedIn, started by a provocative post "Data Science: The End of Statistics?" What is the relationship between Data Science and Statistics and in what sense are "Statistics" ending?
- Stephen McDaniel on Data Science vs Statistics - May 6, 2013.
Stephen McDaniel, a noted expert in data science and visualization and founder of Freakalytics, provides his perspective on Data Science vs Statistics debate
- New Book: The People's Web Meets NLP: Collaboratively Constructed Language Resources - Apr 29, 2013.
This book offers comprehensive coverage of Collaboratively Constructed Language Resources (CCLRs) such as Wikipedia, Wiktionary, Linked Open Data, and crowdsourcing techniques such as Mechanical Turk.
- Pivotal HD ODBMS Interview with Scott Yara and Florian Waas - Apr 24, 2013.
ODBMS Editor Roberto Zicari talks to leaders of the new Pivotal about their new platform and Pivotal HD - their own Hadoop version.
- Top 10 KDnuggets tweets, May 3-5: Social network analysis of Boston Marathon Bomber; Hadoop Toolbox: When to use what - May 6, 2013.
What social network analysis says about Boston Marathon Bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev; Hadoop Toolbox: When to use what - a guide to Hadoop, Hbase, Hive, Pig, Sqoop, Oozie, Flum; TweetMap - a fantastic tool to visualize and map tweets in real-time (goodbye, privacy?); 5 free Excel add-ins to help analyze #BigData
- Top 10 KDnuggets tweets, May 1-2: Why all those Data Scientists are not working on Curing Cancer - May 3, 2013.
Why all those Data Scientists are not working on Curing Cancer; Amazon: SDE Data Mining/Text Analysis/Machine Learning;
- Top 10 KDnuggets tweets, Apr 29-30: Best Blogs for Data Miners and Data Scientists; Deep Learning: one of 10 breakthrough technologies of 2013 - May 1, 2013.
Best Blogs for Data Miners and Data Scientists to read; Deep Learning: one of 10 breakthrough technologies of 2013; LinkedIn Data Scientist @dtunkelang on Recommendation Cold Start problem; To succeed with #BigData, you need to have 2 approaches: a Lab and a Factory
- Top 10 KDnuggets tweets, Apt 26-28: #BigData producing Big Results for retailers; How to spot a data scientist - Apr 29, 2013.
#BigData is already producing Big Results for retailers; How to spot a data scientist and what they actually do; Bitly experience on with Amazon Redshift: great for answering SQL queries fast on #BigData; Amazon: Machine Learning Scientist, analyze huge data, design scalable machine learning
- Top 10 KDnuggets tweets, Apr 24-25: What Stephen Wolfram found by data mining a million Facebook profiles; Algorithm every Data Scientist should know - Apr 26, 2013.
What Stephen Wolfram found bata mining a million Facebook profiles and how you can too; Algorithm every Data Scientist should know; #Pivotal, an ambitious $1B startup emerging from EMC and VMware, will offer #BigData Platform
- Top 10 KDnuggets tweets, Apr 22-23: Data Scientists: what they do; The Evolution of Regression Modeling Series - Apr 24, 2013.
Data Scientists: what they do, the skills, the demand, and the trends; The Evolution of Regression Modeling: from Classical Linear Regression to Modern Ensemble; Tim Berners-Lee, the inventor of the Web, says JSON is the new XML :-); "12 Hours of Separation": Social networks can track anyone in just 12 hours
- Mu Sigma Launches Certification Program for Decision Scientists - May 6, 2013.
New Certification is different from Data Science in the focus on practical skills and experience needed to help companies make better decisions. Currently, the program is available only for Mu Sigma employees.
- Enigma startup for Public Big Data - May 5, 2013.
This startup focuses on Big Data in the public domain, from governments, NGOs, and the media and is building infrastructure to connect it together and make it searchable and accessible through a web platform and API.
- Revolution R Enterprise 6.2: Teradata Connection, Automates Linear Models - Apr 24, 2013.
New features include a dedicated Teradata connection and new Stepwise Regression for Big Data Linear Models, to speed up time to insight.
CFP - Calls for Papers
- KDIR 2013-p: Knowledge Discovery and Information Retrieval, position papers, due May 16
- IAT'13: IEEE/WIC/ACM Int. Conf. on Intelligent Agent Technology 2013, due May 20
- WI'13: IEEE/WIC/ACM Int. Conf. on Web Intelligence 2013, due May 20
- RecSys Doc: Recommender Systems (RecSys) Doctoral Symposium, due May 27
- KDMiLe: Symposium On Knowledge Discovery, Mining And Learning, due May 29
- PAW London: Predictive Analytics World London, due May 31
- IEEE BigData 2013-I: IEEE Int. Conf. on Big Data, Industrial Track, due Jun 2
- DMCS: Data Mining Case Studies Workshop and Practice Prize, due Jun 8
- LML: Languages for Data Mining and Machine Learning, due Jun 28
- BDHC: Big Data in Healthcare, due Jun 30
- N-LAMBDA: New Learning Frameworks and Models for BigData, due Jul 30
- MoDAT: MoDAT: Designing the Market of Data for Synthesizing Data in Sciences and Business, due Aug 1
- IOD: Innovation through Open Data, due Aug 1
"Listening to the data is importantâ€¦ but so is experience and intuition. After all, what is intuition at its best but large amounts of data of all kinds filtered through a human brain rather than a math model?" Steve Lohr, in 6 Big data quotes of 2012, by Gil Press, Forbes