KDnuggets™ News 13:n17, July 17
Features (10) | Software (2) | Webcasts (3) | Courses, Events (3) | Meetings (4) | Jobs (4) | Academic (4) | Competitions (1) | Publications (5) | Tweets (6) | NewsBriefs (1) | CFP (11) | Quote
- New Poll: Interested in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, Data Science education? - Jul 16, 2013.
New KDnuggets poll asks if you are interested in online and on-campus education, including certificates and MS degrees. Please vote!
- KDnuggets Big Data Science Summer Reading List - Jul 10, 2013.
Here is our summer book list, covering the Big Data, Data Science, Power of Predictive Analytics, Learning and Optimization, and fun science fiction appreciated even more by those who understand NP-completeness and Emacs.
- KDnuggets Cartoon: NSA, cat videos, UFO reports, and Pizza connection? - Jul 15, 2013.
New KDnuggets cartoon looks at NSA, big data mining, funny cat videos, UFO reports, and Pizza. What is the connection?
- Top US Cities for Big Data Jobs - Jul 11, 2013.
We examine the top US Cities/Regions for Big Data jobs and find that Washington DC is now in the second place behind Silicon Valley. Big Data jobs and Government?
- 7 reasons not to miss Predictive Analytics World Boston, Sep 29 - Oct 3 - Jul 15, 2013.
Witness case studies from leading organizations; gain inspiration from keynotes by luminaries; Increase your knowledge with in-depth workshops, learn where predictive analytics is heading, and more.
- SAS Analytics 2013 conference, Oct 21-22, Orlando, Early bird till Aug 2 - Jul 16, 2013.
The Analytics 2013 conference (Oct 21-22, Orlando) will bring together over 1,000 analytics practitioners to learn the latest trends, technology and research. Big savings with an early bird rate until Aug 2.
- The Hymn of Acxiom - Sacred music the age of Big Data? - Jul 16, 2013.
A singer who spent a summer as an intern at Acxiom, working on databases of consumer profiles, wrote The Hymn of Acxiom - "let our formulas find your soul".
- BurtchWorks Big Data Professionals Salary Survey - Jul 10, 2013.
This first comprehensive study of Big Data professionals reveals new insights about their backgrounds, experience and salaries. They are likely to be young, male, highly educated, very international, and well compensated. Unexpectedly, non-citizens were paid more than US citizens at the junior level.
- Top news for July 7-13: KDnuggets Summer Reading List; Data Science and Big Data Analytics - Free Course Module - Jul 14, 2013.
KDnuggets Big Data Science Summer Reading List; Data Science and Big Data Analytics - Free Course Module; Analyzing the Analyzers;
Top jobs: Tier 2 Canada Research Chairs in Big Data Analytics (Canada); Statisticians at AIG
- Top news for Jun 30 - Jul 6: Stanford Learning Analytics Summer Institute; Bing Liu elected new chair of ACM SIGKDD - Jul 7, 2013.
Stanford Learning Analytics Summer Institute - Online; Bing Liu elected as new chair of ACM SIGKDD Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining Organization; ebook: Instant Weka How-to
Top jobs: Data Scientists and Machine Learning Researchers at GE Software; Maps Senior Data Scientist at Apple
- TheWebMiner data extraction and web data mining tool - Jul 15, 2013.
TheWebMiner has a simple interface designed for regular users, who send samples of items they want to extract and the engine tries to understand samples and give back all items with the same structure.
- DataMind: FREE Online Interactive Learning Platform for R - Jul 14, 2013.
Check an early stage beta, which offers an in-browser coding environment, exercise-based learning-by-doing, and aims to build a fun learning experience for data analysis and R, while allowing anyone to create courses! Enroll in the "Summer of R"
- Webinar: Data Mining: Failure to Launch [July 18] - Jul 8, 2013.
Learn how to get started with predictive modeling and overcome strategic and tactical limitations that cause data mining projects to fall short of their potential. Next webinar is July 18.
- Upcoming July Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science - Jul 16, 2013.
Coming soon: Discovery analytics, Analytically Speaking, Survival Analysis, Data Discovery, Enterprise Informatics, When Hadoop Is Not Enough, Data Mining: Failure to Launch, and SciDB-Py.
- Angoss Video Series: Customer Analytics Roadmap - Jul 16, 2013.
Watch this 4-part best practices video series, focusing on Customer Segmentation, Customer Acquisition, Upsell/Cross Sell, and Next Product Recommendation and transform your big data for marketing and customer intelligence.
- UDelaware Certificate in Analytics: Optimizing Big Data - Jul 16, 2013.
Teaches the computational, analytical and communication tools and skills needed to discover, present, and implement data-based solutions.
- Data Science and Big Data Analytics - Free Course Module - Jul 9, 2013.
Data Science and Big Data Analytics for Business Transformation Course (90+ minute self-paced module), now available free. It is ideal for business leaders who plan to develop new Data Science capabilities. Check also other courses for Data Science Team Managers and for Hands-on Data Science Practitioners.
- TMA Courses in Data Analytics [Aug: San Jose, Sep: Washington, DC] - Jul 8, 2013.
Get up to speed in data mining faster and more effectively than with any other training program available. Next courses in San Jose, CA and Washington, DC.
- Big Data Innovation Summit, Sep 12-13, Boston - Jul 11, 2013.
The Big Data Innovation Summit in Boston provides the ideal platform to discuss challenges with your peers - keeping you ahead of the curve. Get early bird passes by July 12.
- HOW-TO Big Data TechCon, San Francisco, Oct 15-17 - Jul 9, 2013.
Big Data How-to Conference: Attend Big Data TechCon, Oct 15-17 in San Francisco, and learn how to analyze, index, search and summarize your big data. See for special discount below - early bird rates until Aug 2.
- 2013 IEEE Big Data Workshop Papers and Posters - Jul 8, 2013.
The IEEE Int. Conference on Big Data 2013 is a major forum for the latest in Big Data Research, Development, and Applications. Submit poster and papers to 19 workshops (deadlines in late July/early August). Poster submissions due Aug 25.
- KDD 2013 Industry Practice Expo, Aug 12-13 - Jul 3, 2013.
Meet the industry leaders at KDD-2013 Industry Practice Expo, and learn about Kaggle, Hadoop from the trenches, Decide.com - to buy or not to buy, Analytics from Presidential Elections to Social Good, and using Big Data to solve small data problems.
- Senior Information Architect / UX designer at Adtheorent, Toronto, Canada - Jul 15, 2013.
Take a leadership role in designing and implementing our new real time data mining web application, and work collaboratively with engineers, product managers, executives, and other designers across the full software development lifecycle.
- Statisticians at AIG, New York, NY - Jul 11, 2013.
AIG Science team, part of Property Casualty business, consists of world class business minds and scientists and aims to drive transformational change through evidence-based decision making, solving complex business problems, and development of next generation modeling techniques.
- Maps Senior Data Scientist at Apple, Cupertino, CA - Jul 4, 2013.
Changing the world is all in a days work at Apple. Join the Maps Data Insights team and use Large Scale Data Mining and Machine Learning for improving Apple Maps.
- Data Scientists and Machine Learning Researchers at GE Software, San Ramon, CA - Jul 3, 2013.
Work with a world-class multidisciplinary team to develop and deploy scalable predictive, reasoning and data mining algorithms and software for diverse industrial applications, including anomaly detection, diagnostics & prognostics on sensor, video, imagery and text data.
- Tier 2 Canada Research Chairs in Big Data Analytics at Ryerson, Toronto, Canada - Jul 5, 2013.
Applications invited for 2 Canada Research Chairs in Big Data Analytics: one focused on the technical aspects of Big Data, and one focused on applications and implications of Big Data in industry, government, health care, and education. Apply by July 31.
- PhD Student, Mixing Meta-Modeling and Data-Mining at U. Haute Alsace, France - Jul 12, 2013.
Ph. D. Research on mixing meta-modeling and data-mining for explicit modeling of user traces, digital footprints and online reputation. Funding is available for 36 months.
- 2 Postdoc Researchers at U. of Kansas, Information and Telecommunication Technology Center (ITTC), Lawrence, KS - Jul 11, 2013.
Join our efforts to advance machine learning and data mining for better modeling of large amounts of data from scientific domains
- PhD position in machine learning at University of Helsinki, Finland - Jul 5, 2013.
The project develops novel Bayesian machine learning tools for integrated analysis and understanding of complex and fragmented data sources, to extract useful information seen only by combining the sources.
- CrowdAnalytix: Predict the next phone call using RandomForests - Jul 5, 2013.
The goal of this contest is creating right set of features to model and predict a users next phone call, using only RandomForests. Submission deadline July 25.
- LionBook Chapter 4: Linear Models - Jul 12, 2013.
The deep reason why linear models work well is the smoothness underlying many physical phenomena. So when confronted with a difficult problem, try linear equations first and you are likely to either solve it or at least come up with a workable approximation.
- LionBook Chapter 3: Learning requires a method - Jul 10, 2013.
Real learning is associated with extracting the deep and basic relationships in a phenomenon, with summarizing with short models a wide range of events, with unifying different cases by discovering the underlying explanatory laws. This chapter explains the bias-variance dilemma.
- Analyzing the Analyzers - A Survey of Data Scientists - free ebook - Jul 9, 2013.
Interesting patterns emerge from clustering their skills, activities, education, and self-identification. The report combines analytics results with insights and argues for the clearer communication around roles, teams, and careers.
- MassTLC Big Data Summit Report: How Data Analytics Will Transform Our World - Jul 9, 2013.
The MassTLC summit discussed connected cities, connected health, personalized medicine, and data mashups - how to derive customer value.
- ebook: Instant Weka How-to - Jul 4, 2013.
A practical guide with examples and applications of programming Weka in Java. Start with the basics and learn how to include Weka machinery in your Java application.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, July 12-14: DataMind: FREE Online Interactive Learning Platform for R; From Whale Calls to Dark Matter: Competitive Data Science - Jul 15, 2013.
DataMind: FREE Online Interactive Learning Platform for R; From Whale Calls to Dark Matter: Competitive Data Science with R and Python; Why Anthropology and data science need each other - thought-provoking ; Great infographic: Becoming a Data Scientist - Curriculum via Metromap
- Top KDnuggets tweets, July 10-11: A subway map of 10 important skills; Applied Data Science Columbia textbook - Jul 12, 2013.
Great chart -> A subway map of 10 important skills on the Road to Data Scientist; Applied Data Science Columbia textbook, for techies; Free ebook: Intro to Data Science, by J. Stanton, a gentle intro; 10 Coolest #BigData Startups of 2013
- Top KDnuggets tweets, July 8-9: Data Scientists vs. Data Engineers; Understanding Hadoop MapReduce - Jul 10, 2013.
Data Scientists vs. Data Engineers - what are their roles in the organization; For aspiring Big Data Scientists: Understanding Hadoop MapReduce; Data Science and Big Data Analytics - Free Course Module; Great Google tools for analysis & discovery
- Top KDnuggets tweets, July 5-7: Good #BigData summer reading list; Data Mining and Jay-Z - Jul 8, 2013.
Good #BigData summer reading list; Data Mining and Rap? Jay-Z's new album is a massive data-mining operation; 7 #BigData Definitions, also: Data is Big when its size becomes part of the problen; Search theory and #BigData: Applying Bayesian math that sank U-boats to intelligence
- Top KDnuggets tweets, July 3-4: ebook: Instant Weka How-to; Here is a tasty #BigData app - Food Genius - Jul 5, 2013.
ebook: Instant Weka How-to; Here is a tasty #BigData app! Food Genius analyzes data, trends from 22M restaurants items; How economist Susan Alley mastered Big Data, auctions to help shape the web; It feels like Friday ! Data Scientist cartoons, including LOLCATS, #BigData, and God
- Top KDnuggets tweets, July 1-2: What makes people click; Analyzing the Analyzers - a map of data scientists - Jul 3, 2013.
Machine learning on 2 million news stories creates a model of what makes people click; Analyzing the Analyzers - a survey maps the different types and skills; This is important! Social Networks send buyers into Brick and Mortar Stores; 30 upcoming Meetings, Conferences on Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Knowledge Discovery
- IDC Report: SAS Remains Top Advanced Analytics Provider - Jul 8, 2013.
The IDC research showed analytics leader SAS with a 36.2% share of the 2012 global market, up from 35.3% in 2011. The IDC report profiled Oracle, SAP, IBM, Microsoft, SAS, and Teradata.
CFP - Calls for Papers
- SocInfo2013: The Fifth Int. Conf. on Social Informatics , due Jul 25
- NLF-BD: New Learning Frameworks and Models for BigData , due Jul 30
- SCDM 2013: Scalable Cloud Data Management Workshop, due Jul 31
- ICDM-PhD: IEEE ICDM 2013 PhD student forum, due Aug 1
- MoDAT: Designing the Market of Data, due Aug 3
- DMS2013: Data Mining for Service , due Aug 3
- BigMUD 2013: Mining and Understanding from Big Data, due Aug 3
- BigMUD 2013: Mining and Understanding from Big Data, due Aug 3
- IEEE Big Data : 2013 IEEE Big Data Workshop Posters, due Aug 25
- WSDM2014-D: WSDM2014 Doctoral Consortium Submissions, due Sep 9
- SAC 2014: DATA STREAMS TRACK, due Sep 13
The 10 Vs of big data are: Volume, Variety, Velocity, Variability, Veracity, Vulnerability, Value, Volume and Vol au Vent (Matt Aslett, @maslett)