KDnuggets™ News 13:n19, Aug 7
Features (9) | Software (5) | Webcasts (3) | Courses, Events (1) | Meetings (3) | Jobs (3) | Academic (1) | Competitions (3) | Publications (3) | Tweets (3) | CFP (9) | Quote
- New Poll: What languages you used for analytics, data mining, data science in 2013? - Aug 6, 2013.
New KDnuggets Poll is asking: What programming/statistics languages you used for an analytics / data mining/ data science work in 2013? Please vote!
- Lavastorm: Acquire, Integrate, and Analyze Data 10x Faster - Aug 1, 2013.
Lavastorm Analytics Engine breaks down data silos, giving business users the ability to acquire, integrate, and analyze data 10 times faster than traditional tools. As a first step, read "Breaking Through the Analytics Limitations of Access and SQL" and try our Lavastorm Free for Life software yourself.
- DMCS 2013: Data Mining Case Studies and Data Mining Practice Prize CFP - Aug 6, 2013.
DMCS will highlight data mining implementations that have been responsible for a significant and measurable improvement in business operations, or an equally important scientific discovery, or another benefit to humanity. Submissions due Aug 30.
- 7 reasons not to miss Predictive Analytics World Boston, Sep 29 - Oct 3 - Aug 6, 2013.
Case studies from leading organizations; Inspiring keynotes by luminaries; In-depth workshops, learn where predictive analytics is heading, and more.
- The Age of Big Data - BBC Documentary - Aug 3, 2013.
The BBC documentary follows people who mine Big Data, including LAPD police officers who use data to predict crime, a London scientist/trader who makes millions with math, and a South African astronomer who wants to catalogs the entire cosmos.
- Seeking Academic partnerships: NLP, Machine Learning, Data Mining in Healthcare - Aug 2, 2013.
Are you a grad student/postdoc with a interesting research proposal on NLP, machine learning or data mining in healthcare? Industry partner wants to talk.
- Top news for Jul 28- Aug 3: BBC on Big Data; Big Data and the Future of Marketing (free eBook); Government/Public Data Portals - Aug 4, 2013.
The Age of Big Data - BBC Documentary; McKinsey eBook (free): Big Data, Analytics, and the Future of Marketing and Sales; Data: Portals, Government, State, City, Local, and Public; Top jobs: Data Scientist, Strategic at Groupon, Palo Alto, CA; Data Scientist at Groupon, Seattle, WA;
- Top news, jobs in July: KDnuggets Big Data Science Summer Reading List; DataMind: FREE Online Interactive Learning Platform for R - Aug 1, 2013.
KDnuggets Big Data Science Summer Reading List; DataMind: FREE Online Interactive Learning Platform for R; 5 Roles You Need on Your Big Data Team
Top jobs: Statisticians at AIG; PhD Student, Mixing Meta-Modeling and Data-Mining
- Additions to KDnuggets in July - Aug 1, 2013.
Big new list of government and public datasets/portals, new companies, education options, meetings, software, solutions, blogs
- IKANOW Infinit.e Document analysis and visualization platform, free version - Aug 6, 2013.
IKANOW Infinit.e is a scalable framework for collecting, storing, processing, retrieving, analyzing, and visualizing unstructured documents and structured records, with community edition (free), enterprise edition, and developer API.
- RapidMiner and Big Data - In-Memory, In-Database, and In-Hadoop - Aug 5, 2013.
RapidMiner offers flexible approaches to remove any limitations in data set size. This paper compares 3 RapidMiner engines: In-Memory, In-Database, and In-Hadoop.
- 10 Enterprise Predictive Analytics Platforms Compared - Aug 4, 2013.
A detailed comparison and ranking of 10 enterprise predictive analytics platforms: FICO, IBM, KXEN, Oracle, Revolution Analytics, Salford Systems, SAP, SAS, Statsoft, and TIBCO (Spotfire).
- LexisNexis HPCC 4.0 Big Data Platform - Aug 1, 2013.
HPCC Systems 4.0 is an open-source, enterprise-proven platform for 24/7 Big Data analysis. New features include Eclipse plugin, improved machine learning, and support for Java, Python and R.
- KnowledgeMiner Insights OS X: Self-Organizing, Cost-Sensitive, Data Modeling - Jul 31, 2013.
New features include purpose-driven, self-organizing, cost-sensitive modeling from imbalanced data sets which allow building cost-optimized classification models in an easy and automated way, particularly useful in biotech, medicine, life sciences, and chemistry.
- Webcast: Analytically Speaking featuring Roger Hoerl and Ronald Snee - Aug 2, 2013.
The authors of "Statistical Thinking: Improving Business Performance" talk about how statistics provide a strategic perspective for process improvement in any business, importance of iterative experimentation, and best practices.
- Webinar: Data Mining: Failure to Launch [Aug 13] - Aug 6, 2013.
Learn how to get started with predictive modeling and overcome strategic and tactical limitations that cause data mining projects to fall short of their potential. Next webinar is Aug 13.
- ACM Webinar (Aug 27): Never-Ending Learning to Read the Web - Aug 4, 2013.
This webinar describes CMU research to build a Never-Ending Language Learner (NELL) that runs 24 hours per day, forever, learning to read the web. See what NELL has learned in 3 years of continuous running.
- UCI Online Predictive Analytics Certificate - Aug 1, 2013.
Courses start Sep 30 and include Intro to Predictive Analytics, Defining Business Goals, Text Analytics & Text Mining, and Big Data. Enroll now.
- Big Data in Boston in September - Aug 6, 2013.
Join some of the top minds in data for Big Data Innovation or Data Visualization Summits, Boston, Sep 12-13, 2013. Listen to speakers from leading companies including Sony Music, CNN Money, Walmart, Facebook, LinkedIn, MIT, GE Energy, Salesforce, and AT&T.
- HOW-TO Big Data TechCon, San Francisco, Oct 15-17 - Aug 6, 2013.
Big Data How-to Conference: Attend Big Data TechCon, Oct 15-17 in San Francisco, and learn how to analyze, index, search and summarize your big data. Special KDnuggets discount.
- 30 Meetings on Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Knowledge Discovery, Aug-Oct - Aug 3, 2013.
30 upcoming Meetings and Conferences on Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Knowledge Discovery, August - October 2013.
- Data Mining, Research SDE at Microsoft Bing, Bellevue, WA - Aug 3, 2013.
Join very strong and fun team, conducting development, analysis, and experiments, building very large scale data infrastructure, developing advanced and practical data mining and machine learning to get actionable insights from huge volumes of rich data.
- Senior Scientist at ISO Innovative Analytics, part of Verisk Analytics, San Francisco, CA - Aug 2, 2013.
ISO Innovative Analytics develops advanced analytical solutions to challenging problems related to risk and decision-making PnC, Healthcare, and Financial services. Looking for a bright, energetic analytic scientist to help develop our next generation solutions.
- Data Mining Programmer at Adtheorent, Toronto, Canada - Jul 31, 2013.
Have a significant impact on our business and take a leadership role in implementing our new real time data mining web application and its infrastructures.
- Tenure-track Asst. Professor, Stat-Computational-TT at CSU East Bay, San Francisco area, CA - Aug 2, 2013.
Teach undergraduate/MS courses in Statistics/ Computational Statistics/Analytics/Probability Theory and Modeling/Biostatistics (if applicable), sustain related research program
- Kaggle GE Flight Quest 2 Competition: Optimization Of Flight Patterns - Aug 6, 2013.
This competition goes beyond predictive modeling and delves into the optimization of the flight patterns that participants were asked to predict in the first contest.
- Innocentive: Data Fusion Analysis from Moving Vehicles, Ideation Challenge - Aug 6, 2013.
Develop novel thinking for fusion of background radiation measurements, GPS, high-resolution video, and LIDAR and propose algorithms for detection, localization, and identification of radiation anomalies. Submissions due Aug 26.
- CHEMDNER CFP and training data release - Aug 3, 2013.
The CHEMDNER is a community challenge on named entity recognition of chemical compounds, to promote systems that can detect mentions in text of chemical compounds and drugs.
- IBM CXO Tweetchat, Segmentation and Big Data, with Gregory Piatetsky-Shapiro - Aug 5, 2013.
Here is a summary of IBM #CXO tweetchat on Customer Segmentation in the age of Big Data - are demographic, psychographic, lifestyle, and other buckets made obsolete by personalized predictions and recommendations? The tweetchat was so intense, #cxo briefly became the n. 1 Twitter Trend.
- Using Talent Analytics to Build Analytics Dream Teams - Aug 1, 2013.
Analytics thought leader Greta Roberts offers rare insight into some of these secrets and provides step-by-step, practical processes for building the Analytics Dream Team you need - watch this webinar on-demand.
- Text mining for science and technology: citation and discovery - Jul 31, 2013.
This paper addresses 3 complementary components of text mining: Citation scientometrics, seminal literature reviews, and literature-related discovery and innovation.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Aug 2-4: The Age of Big Data - BBC Documentary; 10 Enterprise Predictive Analytics Platforms Compared - Aug 5, 2013.
The Age of Big Data - BBC Documentary; 10 Enterprise Predictive Analytics Platforms Compared: IBM, Statsoft, Revolution Analytics lead; FOAS becomes hottest thing in open source data science; Nice Infographic: #BigData in Big Companies - suitable for non-techie friends or managers
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jul 31 - Aug 1: Data Scientist interview questions; 60+ R resources; @hmason move and response - Aug 2, 2013.
Data Scientist needs to have many skills - here is a collection of interview question; 60+ R resources, sites, software, books, blogs, and more; Very impressive visualization of terrorist activity with Tableau; Hacker tricks revealed: everything you wanted to know about SQL injection
- Top KDnuggets tweets, July 29-30: John Tukey coined "Software" and "bit"; Words matter: Adding "terrorism" - Jul 31, 2013.
John Tukey, a great statistician, coined the words "Software" and "bit" ; Words matter: Adding "terrorism" to a poll question makes 10% more people approve NSA; MIT prof. is working on Quantum Machine Learning; 4 Common Stats Errors to avoid: 1. Base Rate Fallacy 2. Extrapolation 3. Correlation != Causation
CFP - Calls for Papers
- ICDM-PhD: IEEE ICDM 2013 PhD student forum , due Aug 15
- SENTIRE: Sentiment Elicitation from Natural Text for Information Retrieval and Extraction, due Aug 17
- HDM 2013: The 1st Int. Workshop on High Dimensional Data Mining, due Aug 17
- SCDM 2013: Scalable Cloud Data Management Workshop, due Aug 20
- BDOCS: Big Data Mining Techniques for Online Sales and Customer Service, due Aug 25
- WSDM2014-T: Web Search and Data Mining 2014, Tutorial Proposals, due Sep 9
- SDM 2014-T: The 14TH SIAM Int. Conf. on Data Mining, Call for Tutorials, due Sep 27
- SDM 2014-W: The 14TH SIAM Int. Conf. on Data Mining, Call for Workshops, due Sep 27
- HIS2014: The 3rd Int. Conf. on Health Information Science, due Oct 9
Big Data is set to become one of the greatest sources of power in 21st century
BBC Documentary, The Age of Big Data.