KDnuggets™ News 13:n20, Aug 16
Features (7) | Software (5) | Webcasts (1) | Courses, Events (1) | Jobs (3) | Academic (1) | Competitions (1) | Publications (2) | Tweets (4) | NewsBriefs (1) | CFP (11) | Quote
- Mining a Data Mining Conference: Analytics on KDD-2013 ( comments) - Aug 15, 2013.
I look at interesting statistics from KDD-2013, which was the largest ever (!) research conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining. Which topics are hot, and which are most likely to be accepted?
- Data Scientists Guide to Making Money from Start-ups ( comments) - Aug 15, 2013.
How should data scientists think about starting or joining a start-up? I summarize the advice from a high-powered KDD-2013 panel of leading data scientists/enterpreneurs who share their start-up experience.
- KDD-2013 NodeXL Twitter Social Network, updated ( comments) - Aug 14, 2013.
Here is an updated version of NodeXL Twitter Social network for KDD-2013, a premier conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining. I examine the top nodes, topics, and clusters.
- Coursera Andrew Ng on Online Revolution: Education for Everyone ( comments) - Aug 15, 2013.
My report on KDD-2013 Keynote talk by Coursera co-founder Andrew Ng, on Coursera far-reaching experiment in education, which collected more educational data in one year and all the universities in the history of mankind. Andrew Ng believes that great education should not be only for the privileged but should be a fundamental human right.
- PAW Predictive Analytics World Boston, Sep 29 - Oct 3 - Aug 14, 2013.
PAW Boston covers all the bases for expert practitioners and newcomers, as the universal, cross-vendor meeting place that brings together the who is who of predictive analytics.
- Analytics 2013 Conference, Orlando, Oct 21-22, KDnuggets discount - Aug 13, 2013.
The Analytics 2013 conferencevwill bring together more than 1,000 analytics practitioners to learn the latest trends, technology and research in the field of analytics. Big discount for KDnuggets readers.
- Top news for Aug 4-10: BBC on Age of Big Data; 10 Predictive Analytics Platforms compared - Aug 11, 2013.
The Age of Big Data - BBC Documentary; 10 Enterprise Predictive Analytics Platforms Compared; RapidMiner and Big Data - In-Memory, In-Database, and In-Hadoop
Top jobs: Data Mining, Research SDE at Bing; Analyst - Web Commerce/Marketing at UFC.
- Data APIs, Hubs, Marketplaces, Platforms, and Search Engines ( comments) - Aug 7, 2013.
New KDnuggets page has a comprehensive collection of Data APIs, Hubs, Marketplaces, Platforms, Portals and Search Engines.
- Microsoft REEF, new open source big data framework - Aug 15, 2013.
REEF (Retainable Evaluator Execution Framework) is a big data framework that sits on top of Hadoop new YARN resource manager, and is especially well suited for building machine learning jobs.
- Catalysis Big Data Satisfaction Survey - Aug 13, 2013.
This 4 minute survey want to measure how satisfied are you with your data systems, reporting, and analytics tools. Please take part - answers will be published on KDnuggets
- MarineExplore - Ocean Big Data Platform - Aug 13, 2013.
MarineExplore.org is an Open Data spatio-temporal data platform designed for secure data management and analytics on distributed sources, without ever relocate the data.
- Exversion: data API, platform for access, collaboration - Aug 7, 2013.
Search over 140,000 datasets, consume them through one simple API or upload your own data to collaborate, publish, share or version-control it.
- Upcoming Aug/Sep Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, Data Science - Aug 15, 2013.
Coming soon: Improve Analytics with Decision Modeling, Integrating Predictive Modeling and Data Visualization, Never-Ending Learning to Read the Web, Thinking Outside the Cube, and Analytically Speaking.
- Elder Research Course: Tools for Discovering Patterns in Data, Sep 9-10, Charlottesville, VA - Aug 14, 2013.
Drawing on 20 years of experience, Dr. John Elder will explain powerful analytic methods for classification and estimation, compare the leading algorithms, and demonstrate their effectiveness on practical applications.
- Software Developer, Machine Learning at SGI, Fremont, CA - Aug 12, 2013.
Work in our Visual Analytics Group team and contribute to the development of a new product for data discovery and predictive analytics.
- Analytics Expert at Hawkeye, Kent, WA or telecommute - Aug 9, 2013.
Help our technology clients measure indirect sales results and partner and program performance, provide analytics and reporting services.
- Analyst - Web Commerce/Marketing/Analytics at UFC, Las Vegas, NV - Aug 8, 2013.
A UFC employee, like a mixed martial artist, is well-rounded, innovative and willing to work hard to help the UFC continue its rise as the fastest growing sports organization ever. This position will support marketing, e-commerce and web analytics.
- Faculty positions in Analytics at Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore - Aug 14, 2013.
Looking for candidates with PhD degrees in (Applied) Math, Engineering, CS, Econometrics, OR, and related fields, with expertise in Data mining of huge data sets, Statistics, Traffic management, routing and scheduling.
- DMA Analytics Challenge 2013 - Aug 13, 2013.
DMA annual analytics challenge, open to academia and industry, and sponsored by Cleveland Clinic, will require the participants to solve a patient re-activation problem.
- Nate Silver at JSM: 11 statistics principles for journalists - Aug 10, 2013.
Nate Silver gave an invited talk at the Joint Statistical Meeting in Montreal and besides being modest and witty, he outlined 11 statistics principles for journalists
- LIONbook Chapter 6: Rules, decision trees, and forests - Aug 8, 2013.
The LIONbook on machine learning and optimization, written by co-founders of LionSolver software, is provided free on a chapter by chapter basis for personal and non-profit usage. This chapter provides a clear explanation of the most popular machine learning methods.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Aug 12-13: A Beginner Guide to Data Visualization; What most recent Kaggle winners used - Aug 14, 2013.
A Beginner Guide to Data Visualization - when to use which charts; Most recent Kaggle winners used either Ensembles of decision trees of Deep learning; Who is more dangerous: Data scientist with poor domain knowledge or ...; Coursera collected more educational data in one year than all the universities in the history of mankind
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Aug 9-11: 3 types of Dark data (more important than #BigData); Nate Silver 11 principles for data journalists - Aug 12, 2013.
Dark data is more important than #BigData, and 3 types of Dark data; Nate Silver 11 principles for data journalists; Jeff Hawkins: Where open source and machine learning meet #BigData; The Making of Facebook Graph Search - engineers tell the fascinating inside story
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Aug 7-8: Watch: Machine Learning, Hottest Tech Trend; 50 tools for Data viz, exploration - Aug 9, 2013.
Watch: Machine Learning - Hottest Tech Trend for next 5 yrs, w. Jeremy Howard, Peter Norvig; Great collection: 50 tools for self-service Data exploration and Visualization; More data + Simple algorithms beat Complex Analytics (but useless w/out smart questions); The Science behind Netflix Algorithms that decide what you watch next
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Aug 5-6: R jobs up, SAS jobs down; Mahout Machine Learning; $1M Data Science salary? - Aug 7, 2013.
R jobs are increasing, SAS jobs decline, SPSS jobs are flat, COBOL still around; Mahout: Machine Learning on Hadoop for Enterprise Data Science; Big Data Hype reaches new high: Data Scientist job with a $1 Million salary ! New version of R Reference Card for Data Mining
- Big Data Investment Keeps Climbing in 2013 - Aug 9, 2013.
With the solid post-IPO performances of Splunk and Tableau Software, Big Data continues to be on the mind of investors, and momentum is accelerating.
CFP - Calls for Papers
- COMAD: 19th Int. Conf. on Management of Data, due Aug 19
- BigSpatial-2013: Analytics for Big Geospatial Data, due Aug 20
- SCDM 2013: Scalable Cloud Data Management Workshop, due Aug 20
- IEEE BD Posters: IEEE Big Data, poster submissions, due Aug 25
- BDOCS: Big Data Mining Techniques for Online Sales and Customer Service, due Aug 25
- WSDM2014-T: Web Search and Data Mining 2014, Tutorial Proposals, due Sep 9
- IUI 2014-W: Intelligent User Interfaces, call for workshop proposals, due Sep 16
- SDM 2014-T: The 14TH SIAM Int. Conf. on Data Mining, Call for Tutorials, due Sep 27
- SDM 2014-W: The 14TH SIAM Int. Conf. on Data Mining, Call for Workshops, due Sep 27
- PAKDD-2014: The 18th Pacific-Asia Conf. on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, due Oct 1
- HIS2014: The 3rd Int. Conf. on Health Information Science, due Oct 9
We collected more educational data in one year than all the universities in the history of mankind.
Great education should not be only for the privileged but should be a fundamental human right
Andrew Ng, Coursera co-founder, in KDD-2013 Keynote.