All (82) | Courses, Education (9) | Meetings & Reports (12) | News, Features (24) | Opinions, Interviews (6) | Publications (8) | Software (8) | Top Tweets (12) | Webcasts (3)
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Feb 26-27: Facebook “Relationship Data Mining”; Non-human math: Wikipedia-size computer proof - Feb 28, 2014.
The gap between data mining and predictive models in Facebook Relationship Data Mining; Non-human math: Computer proof is Wikipedia size; A look at pioneering women in #BigData ; MS in Data Analytics from CUNY: Online and Affordable.
- Vasant Dhar – New Editor-in-Chief of Big Data Journal - Feb 28, 2014.
Vasant Dhar, Professor and Director of the Center for Business Analytics at the Stern School of Business, NYU is new Editor-in-Chief of Big Data Journal.
- Strata 2014 Santa Clara: Highlights of Day 3 (Feb 13) - Feb 28, 2014.
Strata 2014 was a great conference, and here are key insights from some of the best sessions on day 3: Data Journalism, Analytics over Real-time Streaming Data, Facebook Graph Analysis with One Trillion Edges, Socializing Search by LinkedIn.
- Strata 2014 Santa Clara: Highlights of Day 2 (Feb 12) - Feb 27, 2014.
Strata 2014 was a great conference, and here are key insights from some of the best sessions on day 2: Big Data Vendor Landscape, Machine Learning for Social Change, Secrets of Gertrude Stein, and Facebook Exascale Analytics.
- KDD 2014 Tutorial and Workshop Proposals - Feb 27, 2014.
KDD 2014 is a leading research conference on Knowledge Discovery, Data Mining, and Data Science. Submit Workshop proposals by Mar 7, Tutorial proposals by Mar 15.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Feb 24-25: Applied R for the Social Scientist, free book; Great overview: Python Tools for Machine Learning - Feb 27, 2014.
Applied R for the Quantitative Social Scientist - a free 100 page ebook! Great overview: Python Tools for Machine Learning; MIT TR 50 Smartest Companies has many #BigData companies; Wolfram releases demo of breakthrough knowledge-based language.
- MS in Data Analytics from CUNY: Online and Affordable - Feb 27, 2014.
Learn about the affordable, fully online, MS in Data Analytics at CUNY SPS that prepares graduates to manage and analyze large amounts of data - March 11 info session.
- KDnuggets Pass to BigData TechCon: Learn HOW TO Master Big Data, Mar 31-Apr 2, Boston - Feb 26, 2014.
Get a free KDnuggets Pass to BigData TechCon, Mar 31-Apr 2, in Boston, the HOW-TO big data event - see details.
- 10 Most Influential Analytics Leaders in India - Feb 25, 2014.
Analytics India Magazine’s annual ranking of the 10 Most Influential Analytics Leaders in India, in terms of Impact, Leadership, Entrepreneurship and Analytics evangelism.
- The Data Mining Group releases PMML v4.2 Predictive Modeling Standard - Feb 25, 2014.
The Data Mining Group, a vendor-led consortium of companies and organizations developing standards for statistical and data mining models, announced the general availability of version 4.2 of the Predictive Model Markup Language (PMML).
- IARPA RFI: Emerging Events and Participating Entities - Feb 25, 2014.
IARPA looks for creative ideas on the representation of emerging events and their participants, especially events that involve individual or small groups.
- KNIME a 2014 Leader in Advanced Analytic Platform: Gartner Magic Quadrant - Feb 25, 2014.
KNIME announced that Gartner has placed KNIME among the "Leaders" in its Magic Quadrant for Advanced Analytic Platforms in recognition of KNIME ability to execute and its completeness of vision.
- PASS Business Analytics Conference, San Jose, May 7-9 - Feb 25, 2014.
The best in business analytics learning is back; featuring over 70 sessions during 2 full days on hot topics you can't afford to miss. Special KDnuggets discount.
- SAS, IBM, RapidMiner, Knime leaders in Gartner MQ for Advanced Analytics Platforms - Feb 24, 2014.
Gartner new Magic Quadrant(tm) for Advanced Analytics Platforms names 4 companies as leaders: SAS, IBM, RapidMiner, and Knime. A copy of the report, with evaluations for 15 more companies, is available thanks to RapidMiner.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Feb 21-23: Vincent Granville salary history, career path; Graf.ly: Making beautiful, interactive graphs - Feb 24, 2014.
Data Science Central founder Vincent Granville shares his salary history, career path; Graf.ly: Making beautiful, interactive graphs ; Qualitative Analytics: Why numbers do not tell the complete story? ; Leading US researcher Tom Mitchell deep insights on Machine Learning
- Graf.ly: Making beautiful, interactive graphs - Feb 23, 2014.
Visualize your spreadsheet data in 30 seconds by building beautiful, interactive graphs using three step process by Graf.ly.
- Top stories for Feb 16-22 - Feb 23, 2014.
KDnuggets Exclusive: Interview with Yann LeCun, Deep Learning Expert, Director of Facebook AI Lab; One Page R: A Survival Guide to Data Science with R; Anaconda: Free, enterprise-ready Python for Big data; Why numbers do not tell the complete story.
- Qualitative Analytics: Why numbers do not tell the complete story? - Feb 21, 2014.
Data scientists love numbers, yet not all data is numerical. Qualitative analytics should not be ignored, especially given the unique value it provides.
- Low-cost Data Mining Training (Hands-On), New York City and other locations - Feb 21, 2014.
Low cost hands-on data mining training seminars by Salford Systems. Fee includes 90-day access to the SPM Salford Predictive Modeler as well.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Feb 18-20: The six types of conversations on Twitter; 25 Free eBooks on Artificial Intelligence - Feb 21, 2014.
The six types of conversations on Twitter; 25 Free ebooks on AI: Introductions, Intelligent Agents, Vision; Practical Machine Learning: Innovations in Recommendation - free ebook download; First UK Data Science Summer School to open In August, free 5-week course.
- INFORMS Business Analytics and Operations Research, Boston, Mar 30 – Apr 1 - Feb 21, 2014.
INFORMS is a top analytics conference, with over 100 practical talks providing "how we did it" information from hand-picked industry speakers, and keynote from industry thought leader Tom Davenport. Early rates until Mar 17.
- DEAP, Distributed Evolutionary Algorithms in Python, Framework for Rapid Prototyping - Feb 20, 2014.
DEAP is a novel evolutionary computation framework for rapid prototyping and testing of ideas, seeking to make algorithms explicit and data structures transparent. Free Download.
- KDnuggets Exclusive: Part 2 of the Interview with Yann LeCun - Feb 20, 2014.
We discuss how far AI is likely to go, how Data Science to Statistics is like Computer Science was to Math, Big Data hype and reality, and advice to beginning Data Scientists.
- KDnuggets Exclusive: Interview with Yann LeCun, Deep Learning Expert, Director of Facebook AI Lab - Feb 20, 2014.
We discuss what enabled Deep Learning to achieve remarkable successes recently, his argument with Vapnik about (deep) neural nets vs kernel (support vector) machines, and what kind of AI can we expect from Facebook.
- Is data mining the new tool for gamers seeking pre-launch secrets? - Feb 20, 2014.
Despite great data analytics capabilities, gaming companies are facing an interesting data mining challenge from an unexpected end – their audience.
- IE Madrid: Master in Business Analytics and Big Data - Feb 20, 2014.
IE is recruiting top students from all over the world to join the Master in Business Analytics & Big Data - accelerate your career and master the key areas for success in business analytics and big data - join our Mar 17 Virtual Insight Session.
- Alpine Data Science Periodic Table - Feb 19, 2014.
One of the most clever giveaways at the recent Strata Conference in Santa Clara was a Periodic Table of Data Science from Alpine.
- KDnuggets 14:n04, Text Analytics slow takeoff; Data Scientist Valentine Day; 3 Ways to test model accuracy - Feb 19, 2014.
Latest analytics/data mining news, including surprisingly little change in Text Analytics use, Data Scientist Valentine Day, and Features (7) | News (10) | Software (2) | Webcasts (2) | Courses (2) | Meetings (2) | Jobs (10) | Academic (4) | Publications (6) | Tweets (6) | CFP (14) .
- Webinar: Data Mining: Failure to Launch [Mar 19] - Feb 19, 2014.
Learn how to get started with predictive modeling and overcome strategic and tactical limitations that cause data mining projects to fall short of their potential. Next webinar is Mar 19.
- TMA Courses in Data Analytics [Apr: LA, May: DC] - Feb 19, 2014.
Get up to speed in data mining faster and more effectively than with any other training program available. Next courses in LA and DC.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Feb 14-17: One Page R: A Survival Guide to Data Science with R; The Myth of the Bell Curve – human performance - Feb 18, 2014.
One Page R: A Survival Guide to Data Science with R; The Myth of the Bell Curve - human performance usually follows Power Law; Pylearn2, an open source Machine Learning library; Anaconda: Free enterprise-ready Python for Big data, Predictive Analytics.
- Poll Results: Text Analytics Use Shows No Significant Change - Feb 18, 2014.
Surprisingly, latest KDnuggets Poll did not find a significant change in Text Analytics use over the past 2 years. While 66% make some use of text analytics, only 19% use it on the majority of their projects. Text Analytics seems to take off very slowly.
- PAW Predictive Analytics World San Francisco, KDnuggets Discount - Feb 18, 2014.
PAW, March 16-21, 2014 in San Francisco is the business event for predictive analytics professionals, managers and commercial practitioners - get a KDnuggets discount.
- Strata 2014: Highlights from Keynote Speeches - Feb 17, 2014.
Highlights from keynote speeches delivered by various eminent big data technology leaders from industry and academia at Strata 2014 Conference held in Santa Clara recently.
- Top stories for Feb 9-15: Cartoon: Data Scientist Valentine Day Prediction; 3 Ways to Test the Accuracy of Predictive Models - Feb 16, 2014.
Cartoon: Data Scientist Valentine Day Prediction; 3 Ways to Test the Accuracy of Your Predictive Models; One Page R: A Survival Guide to Data Science with R; Book: Mining of Massive Datasets, 2nd Edition, free download.
- Opening the Dataset: A Twelve-Step Program for Dataholics - Feb 15, 2014.
Bruce Ratner, a functioning dataholic, writes dataiku verses, and paints swirling equations to relax. He shares his 12 step program that helps him, and others who love to data, to recover.
- Viewpoint: Social Media Analysis: What is missing - Feb 15, 2014.
Social Media Analysis is a powerful tool if we discover customer sentiment from millions of online sources and not just go behind the numbers. Businesses are using the power of social media to gain a better understanding of their markets.
- Anaconda: Free enterprise-ready Python for Big data, Predictive Analytics - Feb 15, 2014.
125+ cross-platform tested and optimized Python packages for advanced analytics totally free, even for commercial use.
- One Page R: A Survival Guide to Data Science with R - Feb 14, 2014.
A collection of useful one-page resources for a data miner, data scientist, and/or a decision scientist. The modules include code, lectures, and one-page recipes for getting things done.
- Kaggle March Machine Learning Mania - Feb 14, 2014.
Can you turn 20 years of historical data into predictions for 2014 NCAA College Basketball Tournament, aka March Madness? Enter this Intel-sponsored tournament - predictions due Mar 19.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Feb 12-13: Where to start learning #DataScience; import.io Automatic Data Extraction - Feb 14, 2014.
Where to start learning #DataScience for 1) statisticians, 2) coders, and 3) newbies; import.io Automatic Data Extraction - a very easy way to get data; Best Twitter keyboard shortcut is ? - a question mark; Cartoon: Data Scientist Valentine Day Prediction.
- KDnuggets talks to IBM: Data scientists: Hire an individual or team? - Feb 13, 2014.
KDnuggets recent poll about Data Science - Individual vs Team has caught attention of IBM. Listen to the podcast where I discuss the unexpected findings of this poll and other Data Science topics.
- Cartoon: Data Scientist Valentine Day Prediction - Feb 13, 2014.
New KDnuggets cartoon looks at a Data Scientist Valentine's Day prediction.
- Book: Mining of Massive Datasets, 2nd Edition, free download - Feb 12, 2014.
The second edition of this landmark book adds Jure Leskovec as a coauthor and has 3 new chapters, on mining large graphs, dimensionality reduction, and machine learning. You can still freely download a PDF version.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Feb 10-11: Data scientist cartoon – too busy recommending; Julia: One Language to Rule Them All - Feb 12, 2014.
Data scientist cartoon - too busy recommending things ...; Julia: One Programming Language to Rule Them All; Anaconda: free enterprise-ready Python distribution for large-scale data processing; 10 Most Innovative Companies in #BigData: GE, Kaggle, Ayasdi, IBM, Mount Sinai ...
- Wikibon: Big Data market to reach $50 Billion by 2018 - Feb 11, 2014.
New Big Data Vendor market analysis projects growth from $18.6B is 2013 to $50B by 2017, driven by maturing technology and better focus on enterprise-grade capabilities. Lack of best practices and concerns over security and privacy remain major obstacles.
- Watch Online: Strata 2014 – Making Data Work, Feb 12-13 - Feb 11, 2014.
If you cannot attend Strata Conference, Feb 11-13, 2014 in Santa Clara, CA, here is how you can watch Keynote presentations and more, both live (during the conference) and recorded, afterwards.
- EMVIC 2014: Eye Movements Verification and Identification Competition, 2nd call - Feb 11, 2014.
The goal is to determine how people may be identified based on their eye movement characteristic. No special equipment required - the organizers provide a dataset of eye movement recordings.
- Big Data Innovation Summit, Santa Clara, April 9-10 - Feb 11, 2014.
Most organizations are only analyzing about 12% of their data. Find out how to maximize the potential of your data at the Big Data Innovation Summit, Apr 9-10, Santa Clara, CA.
- Viewpoint: How analytics will drive the future - Feb 10, 2014.
The president of Verisk Innovative Analytics explains the paradigm shift from company-centric to customer-centric and the role of big data and bigger analytics.
- FastCompany 10 Most Innovative Companies in Big Data - Feb 10, 2014.
Big Data-driven companies can now map your genome, find the best fit for clothing, and improve student grades, but it all comes at the expense of much reduced privacy. Here are 10 most innovative Big Data companies according to Fast Company.
- Comments on “Why your company should NOT use Big Data” - Feb 10, 2014.
Highlights from comments on a provocative article on NOT using Big Data. Big Data can be revolutionary, but it is not a substitute for thinking about the right goals and objectives.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Feb 7-9: 3 ways to test predictive models; 90% of top-paying IT jobs Big Data related - Feb 10, 2014.
3 ways to test Predictive Models accuracy; 90% of top-paying IT jobs are related to #BigData, R; 10 Emerging Analytics Startups in India ; CMSR Data Miner/Rule-Engine Software - free academic use.
- Top stories for Feb 2-8: Predicting Sochi Olympics Medals; 3 Ways to Test Predictive Models - Feb 10, 2014.
Using Data Mining to Predict the Winter Olympics Medal Counts in Sochi; Top stories in January: Tutorial: Data Science in Python; 3 Ways to Test the Accuracy of Your Predictive Models; Viewpoint: Statistical Data Science, The Data Analysis Side.
- 3 Ways to Test the Accuracy of Your Predictive Models - Feb 8, 2014.
3 different methods for testing accuracy of predictive models from 3 leading analytics experts - Karl Rexer, John Elder, and Dean Abbott explain using lift charts, randomization testing, and bootstrap sampling.
- Analytically Speaking Webcast with David J. Hand, Mar 5 - Feb 7, 2014.
Join "Analytically Speaking" webcast with David J. Hand, a 2-time president of the Royal Statistical Society, who will explain the commonplace nature of extraordinary events, laws behind chance moments in life, and the great importance of statistics.
- 10 Emerging Analytics Startups in India - Feb 7, 2014.
India is becoming a powerhouse in Analytics, and here are 10 emerging Indian Analytics startups to watch in 2014: Crayon Data, Flutura, Axtria, Flytxt, Sapience Analytics, SIBIA Analytics, Ideal Analytics, FORMCEPT, IQR Consulting, and StatLabs.
- Get the Most from Your Data at PASS Business Analytics Conference, San Jose, May 7-9 - Feb 7, 2014.
The best in business analytics learning returns to San Jose with top Business Analytics, BI, and Data Science experts from Intuit, Microsoft, SurveyMonkey, Wells Fargo, and more – plus, special KDnuggets offer.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Feb 5-6: A Deep Learning expert wins Dogs vs Cats competition; An alternative to R and Python: Julia - Feb 7, 2014.
A Deep Learning expert wins Dogs vs Cats competition with an almost perfect result; An alternative to R and #Python: Julia; Spark is a hot trend in #BigData but what is it exactly? Here is a explanation; etcML - Free Text-Analysis Tool - Machine Learning as a Service.
- Twitter Data Grants for Researchers – submit a proposal by Mar 15 - Feb 6, 2014.
Researchers can get access to a comprehensive and very large set of Twitter data - submit a proposal to Twitter Data Grants pilot program by March 15.
- New book on Mining User Generated Content – Save 25% - Feb 6, 2014.
This book focuses on mining and applications of UGC (user-generated content) including social annotation, music information retrieval, social networks, and sentiment analysis.
- NYU Stern Groundbreaking MS in Business Analytics - Feb 6, 2014.
The NYU Stern MS in Business Analytics teaches experienced professionals how to understand the role of evidence-based data in decision-making and to leverage data as a valuable and predictive strategic asset. 5 modules starting May 2014.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Feb 3-4: How to Lie With Statistics; Data to the People – J&J opens clinical trial data - Feb 5, 2014.
Great reading: How to Lie With Statistics; Give the Data to the People! Johnson & Johnson makes all its clinical trial data open; Pie Analytics - Keepin it Simple; Data scientists will love Aunsight, new data science platform
- Aunsight: New Data Science Platform from Aunalytics - Feb 5, 2014.
Aunsight , a powerful new Data Science Platform, will let data scientists easily design and customize powerful workflows, integrate disparate data sources, add new algorithms, and focus on solving big data problems.
- Deep Learning Wins Dogs vs Cats competition on Kaggle - Feb 5, 2014.
A Deep learning expert wins Kaggle Dogs vs Cats image competition with an almost perfect result.
- NASA Disk Detective – Find the Birthplace of Planets - Feb 5, 2014.
Disk Detective crowdsourcing project helps to find dusty debris disks, which indicate early stages of forming planetary systems. Learning more about these stars can tell us how our Solar System formed.
- KDnuggets 14:n03, Top Trends ahead of Strata; New Poll: Using Text Analytics? Cartoon: Watson and AI - Feb 5, 2014.
Latest analytics/data mining news, including Features (9) | Software (4) | Webcasts (2) | Courses, Events (9) | Meetings (1) | Jobs (9) | Academic (3) | Competitions (1) | Publications (7) | Tweets (7) | NewsBriefs (3) | CFP (14) .
- Learn to identify complex and dynamic relationships in multi-level data - Feb 4, 2014.
This advanced class provides a conceptual understanding of multilevel linear models (MLM) and multilevel generalized linear models (MGLM).
- Best KDnuggets tweets in January: Data Science Venn Diagram v2.0: “unicorns”; Great map of #DataScience skills - Feb 4, 2014.
Data Science Venn Diagram v2.0 - how to find "unicorn" data scientist; Great map of #DataScience skills (Biz, ML, #BigData, Coding, Stats) vs Roles; Dilbert takes on #BigData Analysis and Salaries of Top Performers - hilarious! Learning from Data: Caltech free online course, now with captions in 40+ languages.
- Top stories in January: Tutorial: Data Science in Python; Learning from Data, Caltech free online course - Feb 4, 2014.
Tutorial: Data Science in Python; Learning from Data: Caltech free online course, now with captions in 40 languages; Hadoop - Elephants in the Cloud; MADlib: Big Data Machine Learning in SQL; Mass Big Data.
- Viewpoint: Statistical Data Science, The Data Analysis Side - Feb 4, 2014.
There is no way a term like ‘Data Science’ be interpreted without including data analysis and statistics. The statistics toolbox is a large irreplaceable part of the lingua franca of science.
- INFORMS Conference on The Business of Big Data, San Jose, June 22-24 - Feb 4, 2014.
The new INFORMS conference would help Analytics Professionals and Operations Researchers to get from data discovery to real business value. Sign up now at the early rates.
- CMSR Data Miner and Rule-Engine Software Suite – free academic use - Feb 4, 2014.
CMSR - Cramer Modeling, Segmentation and Rules - is data miner and rule-engine suite having rule-engines as a unique feature. Rule-engines provide rule-based predictive model evaluation.
- New Poll: How much did you use Text Analytics? - Feb 4, 2014.
New KDnuggets Poll is asking: How much did you use text analytics / text mining in the past 12 months? Please vote on www.kdnuggets.com .
- Webinar, Feb 18: Fine-tune your analytics strategy for 2014 - Feb 4, 2014.
Join analytics experts from Johnson & Johnson, InterContinental Hotels, and HP on Feb 18 to fine-tune your analytics strategy.
- Feb-May 2014 Meetings in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science - Feb 3, 2014.
Upcoming meetings include Strata Santa Clara, Data Science/Hadoop/Predictive Analytics Innovation Summits, PAW San Francisco, WSDM-2014, iKDD in India, Open Analytics Chicago, BigData Techcon, INFORMS Boston, and much more.
- January Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining Companies and Startups Activity - Feb 3, 2014.
January 2014 acquisitions, startups, and company activity in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science: DeepMind, Avigilon, TaKaDu, Nest, Path, FirstFuel, API Healthcare, Kana Software, ImgUR, IMS Health.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jan 31 – Feb 2: Free books on statistical learning; Intro: Machine Learning and Apache Mahout - Feb 3, 2014.
3 Free books on statistical learning; Machine Learning and Apache Mahout : very good Introduction; 16 Top #BigData Analytics Platforms; Knowledge Graph, Google giant database of all the facts in the world
- Learn How to Predict Influence with Uplift Modeling at PAW San Francisco, Mar 16-21 - Feb 3, 2014.
Uplift modeling is the hot analytical method to predict influence, and its adoption is rapidly growing. Learn if uplift modeling is for you, the required expertise, analytical complexity, and the latest state of the art at Predictive Analytics World San Francisco, Mar 16-21.
- Top stories for Jan 26 – Feb 1: Online Courses in Analytics, ML, Data Science; Top Trends in Analytics, Big Data - Feb 2, 2014.
Online Courses in Predictive Analytics, Machine Learning, Data Science; Top Trends in Analytics and Big Data ahead of Strata 2014 Santa Clara; Viewpoint: Why your company should NOT use "Big Data"; "Human Analytics" at the Sentiment Analysis Symposium.
- useR 2014: attend, sponsor R Analytics and Data Science conference - Feb 1, 2014.
Open invitation to attend and sponsor the main annual event of the R community, the useR! conference to be held in Los Angeles on Jul 1-3.
- Additions to KDnuggets Directory in January - Feb 1, 2014.
dotplot, Linkurious, Gray Matter Analytics, Flutura, new Data Science education options, new companies, Big Data and Data Mining meetings, and software for recommendation and visualization.