2014 Feb News, Features
All (82) | Courses, Education (9) | Meetings & Reports (12) | News, Features (24) | Opinions, Interviews (6) | Publications (8) | Software (8) | Top Tweets (12) | Webcasts (3)
- Vasant Dhar – New Editor-in-Chief of Big Data Journal - Feb 28, 2014.
Vasant Dhar, Professor and Director of the Center for Business Analytics at the Stern School of Business, NYU is new Editor-in-Chief of Big Data Journal.
- 10 Most Influential Analytics Leaders in India - Feb 25, 2014.
Analytics India Magazine’s annual ranking of the 10 Most Influential Analytics Leaders in India, in terms of Impact, Leadership, Entrepreneurship and Analytics evangelism.
- IARPA RFI: Emerging Events and Participating Entities - Feb 25, 2014.
IARPA looks for creative ideas on the representation of emerging events and their participants, especially events that involve individual or small groups.
- KNIME a 2014 Leader in Advanced Analytic Platform: Gartner Magic Quadrant - Feb 25, 2014.
KNIME announced that Gartner has placed KNIME among the "Leaders" in its Magic Quadrant for Advanced Analytic Platforms in recognition of KNIME ability to execute and its completeness of vision.
- Top stories for Feb 16-22 - Feb 23, 2014.
KDnuggets Exclusive: Interview with Yann LeCun, Deep Learning Expert, Director of Facebook AI Lab; One Page R: A Survival Guide to Data Science with R; Anaconda: Free, enterprise-ready Python for Big data; Why numbers do not tell the complete story.
- Is data mining the new tool for gamers seeking pre-launch secrets? - Feb 20, 2014.
Despite great data analytics capabilities, gaming companies are facing an interesting data mining challenge from an unexpected end – their audience.
- Alpine Data Science Periodic Table - Feb 19, 2014.
One of the most clever giveaways at the recent Strata Conference in Santa Clara was a Periodic Table of Data Science from Alpine.
- Poll Results: Text Analytics Use Shows No Significant Change - Feb 18, 2014.
Surprisingly, latest KDnuggets Poll did not find a significant change in Text Analytics use over the past 2 years. While 66% make some use of text analytics, only 19% use it on the majority of their projects. Text Analytics seems to take off very slowly.
- Top stories for Feb 9-15: Cartoon: Data Scientist Valentine Day Prediction; 3 Ways to Test the Accuracy of Predictive Models - Feb 16, 2014.
Cartoon: Data Scientist Valentine Day Prediction; 3 Ways to Test the Accuracy of Your Predictive Models; One Page R: A Survival Guide to Data Science with R; Book: Mining of Massive Datasets, 2nd Edition, free download.
- Kaggle March Machine Learning Mania - Feb 14, 2014.
Can you turn 20 years of historical data into predictions for 2014 NCAA College Basketball Tournament, aka March Madness? Enter this Intel-sponsored tournament - predictions due Mar 19.
- Cartoon: Data Scientist Valentine Day Prediction - Feb 13, 2014.
New KDnuggets cartoon looks at a Data Scientist Valentine's Day prediction.
- Wikibon: Big Data market to reach $50 Billion by 2018 - Feb 11, 2014.
New Big Data Vendor market analysis projects growth from $18.6B is 2013 to $50B by 2017, driven by maturing technology and better focus on enterprise-grade capabilities. Lack of best practices and concerns over security and privacy remain major obstacles.
- EMVIC 2014: Eye Movements Verification and Identification Competition, 2nd call - Feb 11, 2014.
The goal is to determine how people may be identified based on their eye movement characteristic. No special equipment required - the organizers provide a dataset of eye movement recordings.
- FastCompany 10 Most Innovative Companies in Big Data - Feb 10, 2014.
Big Data-driven companies can now map your genome, find the best fit for clothing, and improve student grades, but it all comes at the expense of much reduced privacy. Here are 10 most innovative Big Data companies according to Fast Company.
- Top stories for Feb 2-8: Predicting Sochi Olympics Medals; 3 Ways to Test Predictive Models - Feb 10, 2014.
Using Data Mining to Predict the Winter Olympics Medal Counts in Sochi; Top stories in January: Tutorial: Data Science in Python; 3 Ways to Test the Accuracy of Your Predictive Models; Viewpoint: Statistical Data Science, The Data Analysis Side.
- 10 Emerging Analytics Startups in India - Feb 7, 2014.
India is becoming a powerhouse in Analytics, and here are 10 emerging Indian Analytics startups to watch in 2014: Crayon Data, Flutura, Axtria, Flytxt, Sapience Analytics, SIBIA Analytics, Ideal Analytics, FORMCEPT, IQR Consulting, and StatLabs.
- Twitter Data Grants for Researchers – submit a proposal by Mar 15 - Feb 6, 2014.
Researchers can get access to a comprehensive and very large set of Twitter data - submit a proposal to Twitter Data Grants pilot program by March 15.
- Deep Learning Wins Dogs vs Cats competition on Kaggle - Feb 5, 2014.
A Deep learning expert wins Kaggle Dogs vs Cats image competition with an almost perfect result.
- NASA Disk Detective – Find the Birthplace of Planets - Feb 5, 2014.
Disk Detective crowdsourcing project helps to find dusty debris disks, which indicate early stages of forming planetary systems. Learning more about these stars can tell us how our Solar System formed.
- Top stories in January: Tutorial: Data Science in Python; Learning from Data, Caltech free online course - Feb 4, 2014.
Tutorial: Data Science in Python; Learning from Data: Caltech free online course, now with captions in 40 languages; Hadoop - Elephants in the Cloud; MADlib: Big Data Machine Learning in SQL; Mass Big Data.
- New Poll: How much did you use Text Analytics? - Feb 4, 2014.
New KDnuggets Poll is asking: How much did you use text analytics / text mining in the past 12 months? Please vote on www.kdnuggets.com .
- January Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining Companies and Startups Activity - Feb 3, 2014.
January 2014 acquisitions, startups, and company activity in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science: DeepMind, Avigilon, TaKaDu, Nest, Path, FirstFuel, API Healthcare, Kana Software, ImgUR, IMS Health.
- Top stories for Jan 26 – Feb 1: Online Courses in Analytics, ML, Data Science; Top Trends in Analytics, Big Data - Feb 2, 2014.
Online Courses in Predictive Analytics, Machine Learning, Data Science; Top Trends in Analytics and Big Data ahead of Strata 2014 Santa Clara; Viewpoint: Why your company should NOT use "Big Data"; "Human Analytics" at the Sentiment Analysis Symposium.
- Additions to KDnuggets Directory in January - Feb 1, 2014.
dotplot, Linkurious, Gray Matter Analytics, Flutura, new Data Science education options, new companies, Big Data and Data Mining meetings, and software for recommendation and visualization.