2014 Mar News, Features
All (108) | Courses, Education (9) | Meetings & Reports (13) | News, Features (20) | Opinions, Interviews (19) | Publications (16) | Software (9) | Top Tweets (13) | Webcasts (9)
- Information Management 10 More Big Data Companies - Mar 30, 2014.
Information Management selects 10 additional less known but promising companies offering Big Data platforms, solutions, and services.
- Top stories for Mar 23-29 - Mar 30, 2014.
Data Scientists Salary Poll: US, Canada, Australia lead; Is Data Scientist the right career path for you? New Book: Practical Data Science with R; Test your numbersense.
- Additions to KDnuggets Directory in February - Mar 25, 2014.
CSMR Data Miner software suite, Ascribe text mining software, and more added to KDnuggets in February 2014.
- Dell Buys Statsoft to Fill a Data-Mining Void - Mar 24, 2014.
Dell buys StatSoft, a major provider of statistical, data mining, and text analytics software. Is it filling an important void to help Dell become more of a software company, or an uninspired acquisition?
- Top stories for Mar 16-22: Machine Learning in 7 Pictures; How Many Data Scientists are out there? - Mar 23, 2014.
Machine Learning in 7 Pictures; How Many Data Scientists are out there? Predictive Analytics Marketplaces; Data Scientist Salary Survey; How Deep Learning Analytics Mimic the Mind.
- Data Scientists Salary Survey: US, Canada, Australia lead - Mar 21, 2014.
Data Scientists Salary Survey shows that industry data scientists are in a sweet spot, especially in US, Canada, and Australia, with average salary $135K. European and Asian data scientists salaries are significantly lower.
- Innocentive: INSTINCT – The IARPA Trustworthiness Challenge - Mar 16, 2014.
This challenge investigates novel statistical techniques to identify neurophysiological correlates of trustworthiness. Deadline: May 5.
- Top stories for Mar 9-15: How Many Data Scientists? - Mar 16, 2014.
How Many Data Scientists are out there? LIONbook: Machine Learning + Intelligent Optimization - completed, free personal download; Boston AnalyticsWeek: Big Data and Analytics Unconference, March 24-28; Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science.
- SciCast Crowdsourcing search for Malaysian Air Flight MH370 - Mar 15, 2014.
Where will the Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 be found and what happened to it? Scientific crowdsourcing site SciCast has some predictions.
- How Many Data Scientists are out there? - Mar 13, 2014.
We examine indeed, LinkedIn, Kaggle, and other sources to investigate how many data scientists - in name and in function - are out there, and how strong is the demand.
- IBM Big Data & Analytics Heroes: Gregory Piatetsky - Mar 11, 2014.
Meet IBM Big Data and Analytics Hero for this week: Gregory Piatetsky.
- Cloudera Data Science Challenge - Mar 10, 2014.
Your task is to analyze a large amount of data from Medicare and try to detect abnormal data -- providers, areas, or patients with unusual procedures and/or claims. Challenge starts March 31, 2014.
- Top stories for Mar 2-8: Do’s and Don’t of Data Mining; Wolfram Breakthtough language - Mar 9, 2014.
The Dos and Donts of Data Mining; Wolfram Breakthrough Knowledge-based Programming Language - what it means for Data Science? Introduction to Random Forests for Beginners - free ebook; Exclusive Interview with Quentin Clark, Microsoft Data Platform Group.
- February Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining companies and startups activity - Mar 9, 2014.
February 2014 acquisitions, startups, and company activity in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science: Cloudant, Klout, Statwing, 300, Palantir, Talent Neuron, BlueKai.
- Top stories in February: 3 Ways to test the accuracy; Exclusive Interview with Yann LeCun; One Page R - Mar 6, 2014.
3 Ways to Test the Accuracy of Your Predictive Models; KDnuggets Exclusive: Interview with Yann LeCun, One Page R: A Survival Guide to Data Science with R; Cartoon: Data Scientist Valentine Day Prediction.
- SIGKDD Data Science/Data Mining Doctoral Dissertation Award Nominations - Mar 5, 2014.
This annual award by ACM SIGKDD seeks to recognize outstanding research by doctoral candidates in the field of data mining, data science, and knowledge discovery. Submit nominations by Apr 30.
- KDnuggets Annual Analytics/Data Science Salary/Income Poll - Mar 4, 2014.
KDnuggets 2013 Analytics/Data Science Salary/Income analysis was a top read story of the year. Please vote - anonymously - in 2014 KDnuggets Analytics & Data Science Salary/Income poll - we promise the results will be interesting!
- Data Mining Cup 2014 – Student Competition – Starts - Mar 3, 2014.
The DMC Competition is one of the largest Data Mining contests in the world, focusing on students. Registration starts Mar 3, task details will be published Apr 2.
- ACM SIGKDD Innovation and Service Awards – Call for Nominations - Mar 3, 2014.
ACM SIGKDD Innovation and Service Awards recognize outstanding technical innovations and outstanding professional contributions to the field of Big data, Data Mining, Knowledge Discovery, and Predictive Analytics.
- Top stories for Feb 23 – Mar 1: Exclusive Interview with Yann LeCun; Graf.ly; Gartner MQ for Advanced Analytics - Mar 2, 2014.
KDnuggets Exclusive: Interview with Yann LeCun, Deep Learning Expert, Director of Facebook AI Lab; Graf.ly: Making beautiful, interactive graphs; SAS, IBM, RapidMiner, Knime leaders in Gartner MQ for Advanced Analytics Platforms; The Dos and Donts of Data Mining.