2014 Mar Opinions, Interviews
All (108) | Courses, Education (9) | Meetings & Reports (13) | News, Features (20) | Opinions, Interviews (19) | Publications (16) | Software (9) | Top Tweets (13) | Webcasts (9)
- MoDAT: Designing the Market of DATa – Workshop Report - May 28, 2014.
An overview of MoDAT workshop on "Designing the Market of DATa" - key research ideas such as recommending expertise, chance discovery, "data jackets", privacy risks, and more.
- Exclusive Interview: Richard Socher, founder of etcML, Easy Text Classification - Mar 31, 2014.
An exclusive interview with Richard Socher, co-founder of etcML, a new and free tool for helping users with creating classifiers for text using machine learning.
- Nate Silver FiveThirtyEight tackles Climate Change, fails on Data Science - Mar 28, 2014.
Nate Silver FiveThirtyEight forays into climate science and drowns in criticism for bad data analysis. We examine a basic data science question: Can we tell if natural disasters are related to climate?
- Is Data Scientist the right career path for you? Candid advice - Mar 28, 2014.
Candid advice from an industry veteran reveals the true picture behind the much-talked-about Data Scientist "glamour" and helps people have the right expectations for a Data Science career.
- Fractal Analytics Interview Highlights - Mar 27, 2014.
Fractal Analytics CEO on starting the company, competing with the best, managing attrition, attributes he looks for when hiring, 4 different analytics career tracks, strategic bets, and advice for starting data scientists.
- White House-MIT Big Data Privacy Workshop – Top Researcher Reports - Mar 27, 2014.
Leading database researcher Michael Brodie gives a summary of an important White House-MIT Big Data Privacy workshop and discusses privacy, government, technical solutions, Edward Snowden, SXSW, and technical challenges associated with big data and privacy.
- Identity Fraud and Analytics – An Overview - Mar 26, 2014.
With the consumers being increasingly concerned about identity theft, leading financial institutions are leveraging analytics to detect Identity Fraud as it happens.
- KDnuggets Exclusive: Interview with Anjul Bhambhri, VP of Big Data Products at IBM - Mar 25, 2014.
KDnuggets talks with Anjul Bhambhri, IBM’s Vice President of Big Data Products about Big Data Trends, developing the Big Data capabilities in-house vs. outsourcing, five crucial steps to adopting a success big data strategy and advice for beginners.
- Exclusive: Interview with Daniel Tunkelang, Head of Query Understanding at LinkedIn - Mar 19, 2014.
Daniel Tunkelang, Head of Query Understanding at LinkedIn talks about search quality, IR, query understanding, and advice for data science enthusiasts. Don't miss: 4 steps to get your LinkedIn profile show up on top of search results.
- How Deep Learning Analytics Mimic the Mind - Mar 19, 2014.
There has been a lot of buzz surrounding the potential impact deep learning will have in the field of analytics. This post looks at the origins of deep learning.
- Predictive Analytics Marketplaces: Viable Solution to the Data Scientist Shortage Crisis? - Mar 18, 2014.
We examine strengths and weaknesses of several approaches for alleviating the shortage of data scientists.
- KDnuggets Exclusive: Interview with Geoffrey Moore: Crossing the Chasm and Big Data - Mar 14, 2014.
KDnuggets talks with a noted author Geoffrey Moore about his "Crossing the Chasm" book, his vision for Big Data analytics, when Big Data will cross the chasm, and advice for entrepreneurs.
- Evolution of Fraud Analytics – An Inside Story - Mar 14, 2014.
The amazing analytic innovations in payment fraud prevention can be grouped into three major categories: large data-set modeling, sparse data-set modeling, and false-positive reductions - a view from the inside.
- KDnuggets Exclusive: Part 2 of the interview with Paco Nathan - Mar 10, 2014.
We discuss about Paco's upcoming book "Just Enough Math", problems with current university curriculum around Math for Data Science and Big Data trends.
- KDnuggets Exclusive: Interview with Paco Nathan, Chief Scientist at Mesosphere - Mar 10, 2014.
KDnuggets talks with Paco Nathan, computer scientist, OSS developer, author, and advisor about Apache Mesos, Cascading, his books and Big Data trends.
- KDnuggets Exclusive: Part 2 of the interview with Quentin Clark, CVP, Microsoft Data Platform Group - Mar 6, 2014.
We discuss Microsoft decision to embrace Hadoop as the standard, collaboration with Hortonworks, and advice to newbies in Data Science.
- KDnuggets Exclusive: Interview with Quentin Clark, CVP, Microsoft Data Platform Group - Mar 6, 2014.
KDnuggets talks with Quentin Clark, Corporate Vice President, Microsoft Data Platform Group. In the interview, we discuss Power BI for Office 365, Big Data trends and Microsoft’s strategic decisions.
- Why Predictive Analytics Marketplaces are not taking off, and how to fix it - Mar 1, 2014.
Three main hurdles holding back Predictive Analytics Marketplaces are a highly fragmented data mining tools market, limited support for customization, and lack of commitment. We examine how to overcome them.
- The Do’s and Don’ts of Data Mining - Mar 1, 2014.
Leading data mining and analytics experts give their favorite do's and don'ts, from "Do plan for data to be messy" to "Do not underestimate the power of a simpler-to-understand solution".