2014 Apr News, Features
All (91) | Courses, Education (8) | Meetings & Reports (13) | News, Features (18) | Opinions, Interviews (11) | Publications (17) | Software (5) | Top Tweets (13) | Webcasts (6)
- Cartoon: Data Scientist Salary Negotiation - Apr 29, 2014.
New KDnuggets Cartoon looks at Data Scientist Salary Negotiation situation.
- Big Data Leads Top Paying Skills - Apr 29, 2014.
Big Data related skills led the list of top paying technical skills (six-figure salaries) in 2013. Several other useful insights are available in the Dice Tech Survey Report, available for free download.
- New Poll: What data types/sources you analyzed in the past 12 months? - Apr 29, 2014.
New KDnuggets Poll is asking: What data types/sources you analyzed in the past 12 months? Please vote on www.kdnuggets.com .
- Top stories for Apr 20-26 - Apr 27, 2014.
Elusive Data Scientists Driving High Salaries; Data Workflows for Machine Learning; New Book: Social Media Mining - free PDF download; Microsoft Expands Big Data Platform.
- SIGKDD Data Science/Data Mining PhD Dissertation Award – Nominations Due Apr 30 - Apr 23, 2014.
This annual award by ACM SIGKDD seeks to recognize outstanding research by doctoral candidates in the field of data mining, data science, and knowledge discovery. Nominations due Apr 30.
- Microsoft Expands Big Data Platform - Apr 21, 2014.
Microsoft expands its data platform with 3 major features: SQL Server 2014 with in-memory technology, Azure Intelligent Systems Service, and Analytics Platform System - SQL Server + Hadoop. New CEO Satya gives low-key but impressive presentation.
- Elusive Data Scientists Driving High Salaries - Apr 21, 2014.
Recent study tracks experience, salary, industry and location of Data scientists, finds they are earning base salaries over $200K. Download free report.
- Top stories for Apr 13-19 - Apr 20, 2014.
Top LinkedIn Groups in 2014 for Analytics, Big Data, Data Science; Data Analytics Handbook, free download; Apache Spark, the hot new trend in Big Data; GoodData Open Analytics Platform.
- Top LinkedIn Groups in 2014 for Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science - Apr 14, 2014.
We analyze Top 30 LinkedIn Groups for Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science. Overall activity drops about 25%, but membership growth accelerates in Q4 2013. We identify 4 group quadrants and find which groups are fastest growing and most active.
- Top stories for Apr 6-12 - Apr 13, 2014.
Learning and Teaching Machine Learning: A Personal Journey; Interactive Big Data Timeline; Big Data Vendor Analysis; Beyond the Science of Data Science.
- March Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining Acquisitions and Startups Activity - Apr 8, 2014.
March 2014 acquisitions, startups, and company activity in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science: Vizify, Echo Nest, Coinalytics, VoltDB, Platfora, Dell buys Statsoft, Vicarious, RelateIQ, Cloudera.
- CEOWorld Top Big Data Executives and Experts to Follow on Twitter - Apr 7, 2014.
Another list of 64 Top Big Data Execs and Experts on Twitter from CEO World is lead by Hilary Mason (@hmason), @todd_park, @SethGrimes, Cindi Howson (@biscorecard), and Gregory Piatetsky-Shapiro (@kdnuggets).
- Additions to KDnuggets Directory in March - Apr 7, 2014.
MLconf (NYC), Customer Analytics (Philadelphia), AnalyticsWorld (Chicago), Useful Business Analytics Summit (Boston), CBIG Consulting, QueBIT, and other meetings, companies, and education in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science.
- Top stories for Mar 30 – Apr 5: Exclusive Interview – LinkedIn Economic Graph - Apr 6, 2014.
Is Data Scientist the right career path - Candid advice; Exclusive: Interview with Sriram Sankar - LinkedIn Economic Graph; Information Management 10 More Big Data Companies; Top stories in March: Machine Learning in 7 Pictures.
- VAST Visual Analytics Challenge 2014: Visualization and Crime-Solving - Apr 5, 2014.
VAST Challenge 2014 involves three mini-challenges that focus on text, location, and streaming data analysis, and an overall Grand Challenge to test your skills. Submit entries before July 8.
- DataScience Central competition: Automate jackknife regression - Apr 3, 2014.
Data Science Central holds a competition to get statisticians more involved in Data Science - create a black-box, automated, easy-to-interpret, sample-based, robust technique called jackknife regression.
- Top stories in March: Machine Learning in 7 Pictures; How Many Data Scientists? - Apr 2, 2014.
Also - The Dos and Donts of Data Mining; Is Data Scientist the right career path for you - Candid advice.
- SAS Competition for Top Data Scientist in UK, Ireland - Apr 2, 2014.
The contest, open to the academic and business communities, aims to find UK and Ireland best talent in analytics and data science. The goal is to produce an innovative forecast of energy demand.