All (123) | Courses, Education (6) | Meetings & Reports (21) | News, Features (22) | Opinions, Interviews (26) | Publications (18) | Software (10) | Top Tweets (13) | Webcasts (7)
- Big Data Innovation Summit 2014 London: Highlights - May 31, 2014.
Highlights from the presentations by Big Data technology practitioners from Sears Holdings, Microsoft, Ticketmaster during Big Data Innovation Summit 2014 in London.
- US Open Data Action Plan and Datasets - May 31, 2014.
We summarize the key findings in the recently released US Open Data Action Plan, highlighting the principles, commitments, datasets released and future outlook.
- Interview: Kirk Borne, Data Scientist, GMU on Decision Science as a Service and Data Science curriculum - May 31, 2014.
We discuss Kirk's role at Syntasa, the concept of "Decision Science as a Service", key components of a well-designed Data Science education curriculum, advice for young aspirants and more.
- Gaming Analytics Innovation Summit: Day 2 Highlights - May 30, 2014.
Highlights from the presentations by Gaming Analytics experts from Ubisoft, Electronic Arts, Sega on Day 2 of Gaming Analytics Summit 2014.
- Preparing Industry for the Upcoming Data Deluge: PAW-Manufacturing 2014 - May 30, 2014.
Predictive analytics will become more powerful in industry as the data that computers collect and analyze in consumer and manufacturing contexts becomes more numerous.
- Interview: Kirk Borne, Data Scientist, GMU on Big Data in Astrophysics and Correlation vs. Causality - May 30, 2014.
We discuss how to build the best data models, significance of correlation and causality in Predictive Analytics, and impact of Big Data on Astrophysics.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, May 28-29: SAS University Edition free software; Google Quantum Computing Playground - May 30, 2014.
SAS University Edition offers free #SAS software for higher education, teaching; Ultra-cool! Google "Quantum Computing Playground" - fiddle with quantum algorithms; Thomson Reuters: Data Scientist ; Realtime Personalization and Recommendation with Stream Mining.
- Data Mining Modern Languages - May 30, 2014.
We examine the trends and implications in modern language enrollment in the United States, and also show an excellent example of using rCharts and ggplot2 for interactive visualization.
- Data Discovery to Real Business Value – INFORMS Conference, June 22-24, San Jose - May 30, 2014.
Learn about how to achieve return on investment and real business value from your Big Data investments through the real-life case studies, insightful presentations, and lot more at the INFORMS Conference in San Jose.
- Big Data for Executives 2014: Day 2 Highlights - May 29, 2014.
Highlights from the presentations by Big Data experts from McKinsey Solutions, SAP, Techfetch, Weather Analytics on Day 2 of Big Data for Executives 2014.
- KDnuggets Social Network in NodeXL, May 2014 - May 29, 2014.
We examine KDnuggets Twitter Social Network, as generated by NodeXL, looking at clusters, top Twitter accounts, URLs, hashtags, words, and what does it all mean?
- Gaming Analytics Summit 2014: Day 1 Highlights - May 29, 2014.
Highlights from the presentations by Gaming Analytics experts from Activision, Valve, Microsoft and Broken Bulb Studios on Day 1 of Gaming Analytics Summit 2014.
- Interview: Walter Maguire, Chief Field Technologist on HP Big Data Strategy and HAVEn - May 28, 2014.
We discuss how HP views Big Data, capabilities of HP HAVEn, leveraging Big Data for improving customer experience, Analytics challenges, outsourcing criteria and current trends.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, May 26-27 - May 28, 2014.
Machine Learning Algorithms Tour: Regression, kNN, Regularization, Decision Tree; Where to Learn Deep Learning - Courses, Tutorials, Software; 9 Courses on Data Science, R, Machine Learning start on Coursera.
- KDnuggets 14:n13, Where to learn Deep Learning; Vowpal Wabbit; 10 Big Data Pros - May 28, 2014.
Latest analytics/data mining news, including Features, Software,Opinions, New, Webcasts, Courses, Meetings and Reports, Jobs, Academic Positions, Publications, Tweets, and CFP.
- Book: Data Mining and Analysis: Fundamental Concepts and Algorithms - May 27, 2014.
This textbook for senior undergraduate and graduate data mining courses provides a broad yet in-depth overview of data mining, integrating related concepts from machine learning and statistics. Companion website has data, slides and other teaching material.
- Big Data Use Case: Zookeeper at Rubicon Project - May 27, 2014.
What is the big idea with ZooKeeper - a summary of an excellent Big Data use case using Apache ZooKeeper for Hadoop implementation.
- Free Data Science Workshops at Bournemouth University, UK, June 9-10 - May 27, 2014.
2 Data Science Workshops: "Data scientist: The sexiest job of the 21st century?" and "Data as a utility and analytics as a service". Attendance is free, but registration required.
- Interview: Martin Hack, CEO, Skytree on Industrializing Machine Learning for Big Data - May 26, 2014.
We discuss the mission of Skytree, product strategy, complimentary consulting programs, recent trends, and current expectations from Machine Learning.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – May 26 and beyond - May 26, 2014.
Purchase history to customer projects, Hadoop, YARN, BigML, Amazon Redshift, ClearStory Data, and Analytically Speaking Featuring Dan Ariely - author of Predictably Irrational.
- Vowpal Wabbit: Fast Learning on Big Data - May 26, 2014.
Vowpal Wabbit is a fast out-of-core machine learning system, which can learn from huge, terascale datasets faster than any other current algorithm. We also explain the cute name.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, May 23-25: Data Science vs. Statistics: one big difference; A SQL query walks into a bar - May 26, 2014.
Data Science vs. Statistics: one big difference in Data Science focus; TGIF: A SQL query walks into a bar, approaches two girls at two tables ...; Amazing demo - IBM #Watson analyzes topic, presents a speech, can debate opponents; Microsoft #Kinect as Inexpensive #BigData Tool.
- Where to Learn Deep Learning – Courses, Tutorials, Software - May 26, 2014.
Deep Learning is a very hot Machine Learning techniques which has been achieving remarkable results recently. We give a list of free resources for learning and using Deep Learning.
- Top stories for May 18-24 - May 25, 2014.
New Poll: Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science Software Used? Stacking the Deck: The Next Wave of Opportunity in Big Data; Michael O'Connell on how to lead in Big Data; Tamr at the New Frontier of Big Data Curation.
- Interview: Richard Wendell, VP, Data Science, TE Connectivity on the Role of Analytics in Organizations - May 24, 2014.
We discuss organizational structure of data science team, making Analytics an integral component of all projects, future of Big Data and crucial soft-skills for aspiring practitioners.
- OnlyBoth Startup is like IBM Watson in Reverse - May 24, 2014.
OnlyBoth startup from Vivisimo co-founder Raul Valdes-Perez is like IBM Watson in reverse - it discovers new insights in data and writes them in English.
- Saxon Global, fast growing BI, Big Data, Cloud Service Provider - May 24, 2014.
Why India is emerging as a powerhouse of Analytics, Big Data Applications, Privacy, What will replace Big Data, and more.
- Big Data for Executives 2014: Day 1 Highlights - May 23, 2014.
Highlights from the presentations by Big Data experts from Sears Holdings, PWC, Oracle, Altamira, Tesora on Day 1 of Big Data for Executives 2014.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, May 21-22: Outlier Detection for Temporal Data; Become a Big Data mgr with #ieMBD - May 23, 2014.
Outlier Detection for Temporal Data ; 1.5M #BigData managers will be needed - Become one with #ieMBD; Goldman Sachs Surveillance Analytics; InformationWeek 10 Big Data Pros To Follow On Twitter.
- Interview: Richard Wendell, VP, Data Science, TE Connectivity on Strategy for Analytics Projects - May 23, 2014.
We discuss the last mile of the execution path of Analytics projects, five critical pillars of success and data-driven decision making through advanced analytics.
- Registration open for KDD 2014 – Best Data Mining and Data Science Research - May 23, 2014.
KDD 2014, held Aug 24-27 in New York City, brings you the best research and the state of the art in Knowledge Discovery, Data Mining, and Data Science. Registration is now open - early rate till July 15.
- InformationWeek 10 Big Data Pros To Follow On Twitter - May 22, 2014.
Information Week list of 10 Big Data Pros includes leading industry experts @merv, @sogrady, @Sve_Sic, @KirkDBorne, @KDnuggets, @BigDataGal, @Data_Nerd, @JaimeFitzgerald, @TonyBaer, and @marcusborba.
- Data Literacy: Education for the Information Economy - May 22, 2014.
Brian Liou discusses how data literacy adopts an even more important role for professionals in the data-driven world of today as seen in the interviews conducted for the Analytics Handbook.
- Outlier Detection for Temporal Data - May 22, 2014.
Outlier Detection for Temporal Data covers topics in temporal outlier detection, which have applications in numerous fields. It starts with the basic topics then moves on to state of the art techniques in the field.
- Zementis – Cool Vendor in Data Science, 2014 - May 22, 2014.
Zementis, named by Gartner a Cool Vendor in Data Science, provides a scalable, standards-based platform to rapidly deploy and execute predictive models.
- MADALGO Summer School on LEARNING AT SCALE, August 11-14, Denmark - May 22, 2014.
MADALGO Summer School will teach the latest developments in learning at scale as applied to Big Data. Registration is free on a first-come-first serve basis. Denmark, Aug 11 - 14, 2014.
- Interview: Dale Russell, CTO, Talksum on Building Talksum Router and Real-time Anaytics - May 21, 2014.
We discuss challenges in building Talksum data stream solution, current trends in real-time analytics, advice for Data Science aspirants and more.
- Signi-Trend App: Detecting Significant Trends in Text - May 21, 2014.
Signi-Trend is a visual explorer tool for a new, heavy-hitters style, trend detection algorithm. Details will be published at KDD 2014.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, May 19-20: 12 Free Data Mining, Data Science books; Exclusive: How to Lead in Big Data - May 21, 2014.
12 Free Data Mining, Data Science, Applied Stats, and Machine Learning Books ; Exclusive Interview: Michael O'Connell on How to Lead in Big Data; Free ebook: The Complete Guide to Facebook Analytics; AI, Deep Learning race between Google, Facebook, and Baidu.
- KDnuggets 14:n12, Annual Poll: Software Used? Tamr & Data Curation; Data Science Cheat Sheets - May 21, 2014.
Latest analytics/data mining news, including Features, Software, Opinions and Interviews, News, Webcasts, Courses, Meetings and Reports, Jobs, Publications, Top Tweets, and CFP.
- Interview: Dale Russell, CTO, Talksum on Winning the IE Big Data Startup Award - May 20, 2014.
We discuss Talksum data stream router and cross-domain networking with real-time data management using data streams.
- PAW: Predictive Analytics World Chicago, Expert-led Workshops - May 20, 2014.
Discover best practices and sharpen your skills by attending one of our expert-led workshops: The Best and Worst of Predictive Analytics, R for Predictive Modeling - Hands-on, and Advanced Methods Hands-on.
- New Poll: Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science Software Used? - May 20, 2014.
Please vote in our well-known annual KDnuggets Software Poll: What Analytics, Big Data, Data mining, Data Science software you used in the past 12 months for a real project?
- Stacking the Deck: The Next Wave of Opportunity in Big Data - May 20, 2014.
A leading venture capitalist explains why Big Data infrastructure market is mostly mature and where lies the next big area of opportunities related to Big Data.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – May 19 and beyond - May 19, 2014.
Data Mining: FTL; Deep Learning with H2O; Purchase history to Customer Projects; Apache Hadoop, Hive, Kafka, Solr; Python for Big Data Analytics, and more.
- BabelNet 2.5: Very Large Multilingual Encyclopedic Dictionary and Semantic Network - May 19, 2014.
BabelNet 2.5 covers 50 languages, and offers seamless integration of WordNet, Open Multilingual WordNet, Wikipedia, OmegaWiki, Wikidata (NEW), and Wiktionary (NEW). Check upcoming BabelNet workshops.
- Code for India 2014 Global Hack-a-thon – Building a Better India through Innovative Solutions - May 19, 2014.
Non-stop 24 hours of coding at the Code for India 2014 hackathon leads to creative solutions for major social problems of India through interesting software applications.
- Exclusive: Tamr at the New Frontier of Big Data Curation - May 19, 2014.
Our exclusive profile of Tamr (former Data Tamer), the latest startup from legendary Michael Stonebraker, which emerged from stealth mode to address the new field of Big Data Curation.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, May 16-18: Great find – Intro to Data Science, free download; Why code written by scientists gets ugly - May 19, 2014.
Great find! Intro. to Data Science, v2 (170 pages), free download; Why code written by scientists gets ugly; A Statistician's View on #BigData and Data Science - updated; CIOReview Top 100 Most Promising Big Data Companies.
- Exclusive Interview: Michael O’Connell, Chief Data Scientist, TIBCO on How to Lead in Big Data - May 19, 2014.
We discuss Big Data vs. Fast Data, Data Visualization trends, Jaspersoft acquisition, factors differentiating future leaders of Big Data and more.
- Top stories for May 11-17 - May 19, 2014.
Guide to Data Science Cheat Sheets; Watch: Basics of Machine Learning; Cartoon: Data Visualization meets 3-D Printer; Social Media and Web Analytics Innovation Summit 2014 Highlights.
- Top 100 Startup Experts to Follow on Twitter - May 17, 2014.
A list of Top 100 Startup Experts to Follow on Twitter is headed by @kdnuggets. Check our tweets on Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science startups and acquisitions under hashtag #BigDataCo.
- CIOReview Top 100 Most Promising Big Data Companies - May 17, 2014.
Top 100 Most Promising Big Data Companies according to CIO Review, from 7Segments to OpenBI to Zeta Interactive.
- Poll Results: Data Types/Sources Analyzed - May 17, 2014.
Trends in data sources for data mining include: table data dominates, followed by time series and text; audio, JSON grows in popularity, while itemsets decline; 70% access DB engines, but only 20% access NoSQL stores; Hadoop, MongoDB used more for text; Europe is lagging in NoSQL usage.
- Top KDnuggets Tweets, May 14-15: Easier Facebook Network Analysis; Cloudera Live, a New Way to Start with Hadoop - May 16, 2014.
Facebook Network analysis, visualization is easier with httr from R wizard; Cloudera Live offers a new way start with #Hadoop - No downloads; Watch: Basics of Machine Learning ; BigML Machine Learning platform Spring Release.
- Predict Soccer World Cup 2014 Winner, Get Prizes from RapidMiner - May 16, 2014.
Use a free edition of RapidMiner to have fun and bring sports predictions to another level by making a prediction of Soccer (Futbol) World Cup 2014, which starts on June 12 in Brazil.
- KDD Cup 2014 – Predicting Excitement at DonorsChoose.org - May 16, 2014.
Predict which Donor Choose projects will be exciting. 2014 edition of KDD Cup, the first data mining competition, is on Kaggle. Submissions due June 15.
- Resource-aware Machine Learning – Summer School 2014, Germany - May 16, 2014.
Summer school in Dortmund, Germany covers Machine Learning with Constrained Resources including topics like detecting astro particles using smartphones. Applications are due by June 30.
- Interview: Gary Shorter, Quintiles on Future of Heathcare and Big Data Skills - May 16, 2014.
We discuss how Big Data is shaping the future of Healthcare industry and advice for career in Analytics.
- Big Data Landscape, v 3.0, analyzed - May 15, 2014.
We analyze the Big Data Landscape and identify the most popular market segments in Analytics, Infrastructure, Applications, Open Source, and Data Sources categories. It is still early - only 4.5% of companies had exits.
- Sentiment Analysis Innovation Summit 2014: Day 2 Highlights - May 15, 2014.
Highlights from the presentations by opinion mining experts from Fujitsu, FindiLike and Stanford University on Day 2 of Sentiment Analysis Innovation Summit 2014 in San Francisco.
- Has Predictive Analytics Crossed The Chasm? - May 15, 2014.
Recent study highlights the increasing market perception that Predictive Analytics leads to competitive advantage. The report also outlines current trends and challenges for Predictive Analytics.
- Interview: Gary Shorter, Director of Data Science, Quintiles on Big Data for Healthcare - May 15, 2014.
We discuss the rising medical costs, how can Big Data help, key features of Quintiles Inforsario and Topological Data Analysis.
- Social Media & Web Analytics Innovation Summit 2014: Day 2 Highlights - May 15, 2014.
Highlights from the presentations by analytics experts from Youtube, Evernote and Wikia on day 2 of Social Media & Web Analytics Innovation Summit 2014 in San Francisco.
- Uppd8: An Engine for the Wisdom of Crowds - May 15, 2014.
What people think matters. Uppd8 focuses on crowd sentiment analysis and provides tag-scored data based on different user types. Basic services will be provided for free.
- Northwestern Online MS in Predictive Analytics - May 15, 2014.
Prepare for leadership-level career, learn from top faculty and industry experts, and earn your analytics degree online. Fall Quarter application deadline July 15.
- Sentiment Analysis Innovation Summit 2014: Day 1 Highlights - May 14, 2014.
Highlights from the presentations by opinion mining experts from Twitter, eBay and Samsung on Day 1 of Sentiment Analysis Innovation Summit 2014 in San Francisco.
- Social Media & Web Analytics Innovation Summit 2014: Day 1 Highlights - May 14, 2014.
Highlights from the presentations by experts from Google, CapitalOne, StubHub and Social Media Research Foundation on day 1 of Social Media & Web Analytics Innovation Summit 2014 in San Francisco.
- Interview: Prateek Jain, Director of Engineering, eHarmony on Fast Search and Sharding - May 14, 2014.
We discuss Big Data architecture, fast multi-attribute searches, database sharding and scaling challenges at eHarmony.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, May 12-13: Guide to Data Science Cheat Sheets; How to analyze Facebook Networks using R - May 14, 2014.
Guide to Data Science Cheat Sheets; Clever hack: How to analyze Facebook Networks using R; Very useful - Introduction to #SQL for Data Scientists; Planning a late career shift to Analytics /Data Science? Be prepared.
- Vendor-Neutral Hands-On Training in Data Mining [Denver-CO, July | Wash-DC, Sep] - May 14, 2014.
Successful analytics in the big data era does not start with data and software, but with immersive hands-on training and goal-driven strategy. Get this training from The Modeling Agency.
- BPDM 2014: Broadening Participation in Data Mining Program - May 14, 2014.
The BPDM Program, held at KDD-2014, aims to foster mentorship, guidance, and connections of minority and underrepresented groups in Data Mining/Data Science by providing scholarships to interact with and learn from senior researchers. Apply by June 12.
- Watch: Basics of Machine Learning - May 14, 2014.
Watch series on machine learning, going from basics like Naive Bayes, Decision Tree, Generalization and Overfitting, to more complex topics like Hierarchical Agglomerative Clustering.
- Do Analytics as well as Google, Johnson&Johnson, and AT&T - May 13, 2014.
Attend Useful Business Analytics Summit in Boston and learn how the leading companies do analytics. Early reg by May 16.
- New Book: Analytics in a Big Data World – The Essential Guide to Data Science - May 13, 2014.
For organizations looking to enhance their capabilities via data analytics, this book is the go-to reference for applying Data Science to make the right business decisions.
- Media Industry Embracing Analytics for Innovation and Competitive Edge - May 13, 2014.
Survey results highlight the importance of Analytics capability in media industry and the consumer beliefs on privacy vs. personalization benefits.
- Interview: George Corugedo, CTO, RedPoint on Big Data Trends and Important Skills - May 13, 2014.
We discuss the key trends in Big Data industry, important skills for Data Science practioners and more.
- Data Analytics Handbook p. 3, Interviews with Research Leaders and Academics, Free Download - May 13, 2014.
Part 3 features interviews with research leaders and academics, including Hal Varian (Chief Economist, Google), Gregory Piatetsky (Editor, KDnuggets), and Analytics Thought Leader Tom Davenport (Professor, Babson College). Free download.
- Forrester Research: Transform Your Organization with Strong Data Management - May 13, 2014.
New Forrester Research report shows how to build a more elastic and flexible data management practice to meet the new data demands. Free download compliments of Lavastorm Analytics.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – May 12 and beyond - May 12, 2014.
Who Owns the Data, The New Database Frontier, Analytically Speaking, Data Mining: Failure To Launch, Deep Learning with H2O, Purchase history to Customer Projects, Hadoop and YARN, and more.
- Big Data BootCamp: Highlights of talks on Day 3 - May 12, 2014.
Highlights from the presentations by big data technology practitioners from Hortonworks, Intel, Rackspace, SciSpike, and Yahoo at Big Data Bootcamp 2014 in Santa Clara.
- Interview: George Corugedo, CTO, RedPoint on YARN and Customer Analytics - May 12, 2014.
We discuss significance of YARN for Hadoop 2.0 platform, unique benefits of RedPoint Convergent Marketing Platform and Master Key Management for Customer Analytics.
- Healthcare Analytics: Identifying Leaders and Key Trends - May 12, 2014.
We review recently released report on Healthcare perceptions towards BI/Analytics and share key insights into who is leading healthcare analytics in different categories and what are the key dominant trends.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, May 9-11: Data Mining for Statisticians; For teachers (and students) of Machine Learning - May 12, 2014.
Data Mining for Statisticians ; For teachers (and students) of #MachineLearning - Slides for LIONbook; Build a word cloud using R text mining tools - step-by-step; Graph Theory: Key to Understanding #BigData - graphs are not just for Google or eBay.
- KDD 2014 Workshops – the latest in Data Mining and Data Science Research - May 12, 2014.
KDD 2014 workshops are the forum for the latest data mining and data science research. Workshop topics include Data Science for Social Good, Big Data Discovery and Curation, Big Data Analytics for Bio/Health Informatics, Stream Mining, Data Ethics, Sports Analytics, and more. Submission dates from late May to late June.
- Guide to Data Science Cheat Sheets - May 12, 2014.
Selection of the most useful Data Science cheat sheets, covering SQL, Python (including NumPy, SciPy and Pandas), R (including Regression, Time Series, Data Mining), MATLAB, and more.
- Cartoon: Data Visualization meets 3-D Printer - May 11, 2014.
New KDnuggets Cartoon looks at what happens when Data Visualization meets 3-D Printer.
- Top stories for May 4-10 - May 11, 2014.
Data Scientists Not Required with Alteryx Analytics 9.0; 9 Free Books for Learning Data Mining and Data Analysis; Exclusive Interview: Todd Holloway, Data Science Lead, Trulia; Did Target really predict teen pregnancy?
- Data Mining for Statisticians - May 10, 2014.
New video series from Salford Systems presents an approach to data mining from a statistical point of view.
- NineSigma Big Data Analytics RFP - May 9, 2014.
NineSigma is seeking proposals for mining user browsing/operations history, social networking services, and sensing devices to improve personalization and recommendation of products. Submit by May 23, 2014.
- White House Report on Big Data: Opportunities and Values - May 9, 2014.
We summarize the key findings in the recently released White House report on Big Data, highlight the key opportunities and concerns, and list the recommendations made to the President.
- Big Data BootCamp Santa Clara: Highlights of talks on Days 1-2 - May 9, 2014.
Highlights from the presentations by big data technology practitioners from Caspida, Datastax, ElephantScale, Hortonworks, MapR and Qubole at Big Data Bootcamp 2014 in Santa Clara.
- Interview: Arijit Sengupta, CEO, BeyondCore on Advanced Analytics and Big Data - May 9, 2014.
We discuss traditional analytics vs. modern analytics, avoiding over-simplification, human-technology interaction for Big Data, challenges in democratizing analytics and more.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, May 7-8: 30 Simple Tools for Data Visualization; Did Target Really Predict Pregnancy? - May 9, 2014.
30 Simple Tools for Data and Geo-Visualization: iCharts, Fusion, Modest Maps, Raw ...; Did Target Really Predict a Teen's Pregnancy? The Inside Story; Sense, new Data Science startup, builds a Data Science Platform of the Future; Analytics Experts on #BigData Misconceptions.
- MassTLC Big Data Meeting Delivers Insights, Perspective - May 8, 2014.
Summit highlights: Digitization and Datification - a love story, Strategies for creating a competitive advantage in #BigData world, Boston open data, Balancing privacy and governance, and the most widely used #BigData tool in the future.
- April 2014 Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining Acquisitions and Startups Activity - May 8, 2014.
April 2014 acquisitions, startups, and company activity in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science: Experfy, Dunnhumby, NexGraph, Fundbox, FICO, Gnip, Fliptop, InBloom, Jaspersoft, and more.
- ClearStory – The Fastest, Simplest Way to Analyze Data - May 8, 2014.
ClearStory is modernizing how diverse data is accessed, merged, and analyzed, and how insights are consumed by analysts and business users. Try ClearStory today.
- Spotlight: RapidMiner New Predictive Analytics Platform-as-a-Service - May 7, 2014.
We examine the newly announced RapidMiner Platform-as-a-Service, installed on AWS and managed by RapidMiner experts.
- Did Target Really Predict a Teen’s Pregnancy? The Inside Story - May 7, 2014.
We examine the origin and the facts behind this explosive story, the importance of headlines, and how unsubstantiated assumptions gain traction and mainstream attention and help create myths around Predictive Analytics.
- JMP White Paper: Advantages of Bootstrap Forest for Yield Analysis - May 7, 2014.
This white paper highlights practical examples on how to use partitioning techniques for semiconductor manufacturing data. These methods also have wider applicability.
- Interview: Xinghua Lou (Microsoft) on Mining Clinical Notes and Big Data in Healthcare - May 7, 2014.
We discuss data mining of cancer clinical data, LDA topic model, challenges in mining clinical notes, big data in healthcare and more.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, May 5-6: xkcd looks at Love and Statistics; Analytics job applicants – avoid these mistakes - May 7, 2014.
xkcd looks at Love and Statistics: Why it is important to label your axes; Analytics job applicants - avoid these common mistakes; Stanford Online Courses: Education + Advanced Skills = Awesome Career; Landmark for AI: computer system solves Algebra word problems.
- KDnuggets 14:n11, Poincare, Perelman, and Social networks; Industry Lessons; Experfy - May 7, 2014.
Latest analytics/data mining news, including Michael Brodie on Industry Lessons, Knowledge Discovery, Future Trends, and QCRI; Features, Opinions, Software, News, Webcasts, Meetings, Jobs, Publications, Tweets and CFP.
- Webinar: Data Mining: Failure to Launch [May 20] - May 6, 2014.
Learn how to get started with predictive modeling and overcome strategic and tactical limitations that cause data mining projects to fall short of their potential. Next webinar is May 20.
- PAW: Predictive Analytics World, Manufacturing, Chicago, June - May 6, 2014.
PAW Chicago and PAW Manufacturing are the business events for predictive analytics professionals, managers and commercial practitioners, covering commercial deployment of predictive analytics, across industries, and dedicated to manufacturing. Special KDnuggets discount.
- Human Dynamics – Data Mining Mobile Phone Usage - May 6, 2014.
Mobile phone usage contains a gold mine of insights. We examine what was learned about human social connections from the first-ever extensive study of social interactions in Mexico.
- Interview: Michael Brodie on Industry Lessons, Knowledge Discovery, and Future Trends - May 6, 2014.
The last part of our exclusive interview focuses on Industry Lessons, Knowledge Discovery, Privacy Issues, Expected Technical Developments in next 5 years and more.
- Stanford Online Courses: Education + Advanced Skills = Awesome Career - May 6, 2014.
With Stanford world-class online certificates, show advanced knowledge in Data Mining and Applications, Mining Massive Data Sets, and more. Enrollment for summer quarter open now till June 9.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – May 5 and beyond - May 5, 2014.
SAS and Cloudera, Analytically Speaking, Data Mining: Failure To Launch, Deep Learning with H2O, Hadoop, WCAI Oppy: Purchase history to id customer projects, and more.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, May 2-4: Big List of Machine Learning, #DataScience, and Statistics Resources - May 5, 2014.
Big List of Machine Learning, #DataScience, and Statistics Resources; 7 Free or low-cost ways to Learn Data Mining & Data Science ; Datasight.io - machine learning for the masses - now in beta; Every MIT undergrad will get $100 of Bitcoin.
- May-Sep 2014 Meetings in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science - May 5, 2014.
Coming soon: Big Data Week in 30 cities, PASS Business Analytics (San Jose), PAW Toronto and Chicago, Business Analytics Innovation Summits, MMDS Berkeley, Useful Business Analytics Boston, KDD-2014 NYC, and much more.
- Data Scientists Not Required: Promises the recently launched Alteryx Analytics 9.0 - May 4, 2014.
Alteryx Analytics 9.0 blends new sources of customer Insight such as Social Media, Google Analytics, and Marketo with data from legacy environments such as SAS Analytics.
- Employee Churn 202: Good and Bad Churn - May 4, 2014.
This post extends the “quantitative scissors” approach to employee churn and examines the factors that underlie attrition cost.
- Top stories for Apr 27 – May 3 - May 4, 2014.
Cartoon: Data Scientist Salary Negotiation; 9 Free Books for Learning Data Mining and Data Analysis; MLTK: Machine Learning Toolkit in Java - free download; Mass Big Data Report 2014.
- Additions to KDnuggets Directory in April - May 4, 2014.
24 new Big Data and Data Science meetings, analytic consulting companies, Virginia data, Data Science certificates, Dean Abbott book on Applied Predictive Analytics, and more.
- 3 Key Trends in the DBMS Market - May 3, 2014.
The top 3 trends in DBMS include market consolidation, moving beyond OLTP, and distributed computing - we examine them in detail.
- Poincare Conjecture, Perelman way, and Topology of social networks - May 3, 2014.
We examine the connections between the $1 million proof of Poincare conjecture by a reclusive math genius and the topological behavior and information diffusion over social networks.
- WCAI Research Opportunity: Using Purchase History to Identify Customer Projects - May 3, 2014.
Customers frequently purchase a collection of products to complete a specific project. A rich data set from a Fortune 500 Specialty Retailer will allow researchers to study this issue - register for May 28 webinar and submit your proposal afterwards.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Apr 30 – May 1: Chart Cheat Sheet: When to use Bar, Stacked, Donut - May 2, 2014.
Useful! Chart Cheat Sheet: When to use Bar, Stacked, Line, Donut, Choropleth; Microsoft Data Scientist; The Deep Dive: SAS vs. R: younger Data Scientists prefer R ; Massachusetts releases Big Data Report 2014.
- Top stories in April - May 2, 2014.
Apache Spark, the hot new trend in Big Data; Data Analytics Handbook - interviews with tech leaders, free download; Learning and Teaching Machine Learning; 9 Free Books for Learning Data Mining and Data Analysis.
- Experfy, Big Data Consulting Marketplace from Harvard - May 2, 2014.
Good news for data experts - you have many new options with Experfy, a startup from Harvard Innovation Lab, which is a consulting marketplace where companies hire talent for Big Data, Analytics, and BI projects.
- Interview: Vasanth Kumar, Principal Data Scientist, Live Nation - May 2, 2014.
We discuss challenges in analyzing bursty data, real-time classification, relevance of statistics and advice for newcomers to Data Science.
- Deep Learning with H2O, May 21 Webcast - May 1, 2014.
H2O is Google-scale open source machine learning engine for R and Big Data. Learn how Deep Learning in H2O is unlocking never before seen performance for prediction - May 21.