2014 May News, Features
All (123) | Courses, Education (6) | Meetings & Reports (21) | News, Features (22) | Opinions, Interviews (26) | Publications (18) | Software (10) | Top Tweets (13) | Webcasts (7)
- US Open Data Action Plan and Datasets - May 31, 2014.
We summarize the key findings in the recently released US Open Data Action Plan, highlighting the principles, commitments, datasets released and future outlook.
- KDnuggets Social Network in NodeXL, May 2014 - May 29, 2014.
We examine KDnuggets Twitter Social Network, as generated by NodeXL, looking at clusters, top Twitter accounts, URLs, hashtags, words, and what does it all mean?
- Top stories for May 18-24 - May 25, 2014.
New Poll: Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science Software Used? Stacking the Deck: The Next Wave of Opportunity in Big Data; Michael O'Connell on how to lead in Big Data; Tamr at the New Frontier of Big Data Curation.
- InformationWeek 10 Big Data Pros To Follow On Twitter - May 22, 2014.
Information Week list of 10 Big Data Pros includes leading industry experts @merv, @sogrady, @Sve_Sic, @KirkDBorne, @KDnuggets, @BigDataGal, @Data_Nerd, @JaimeFitzgerald, @TonyBaer, and @marcusborba.
- New Poll: Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science Software Used? - May 20, 2014.
Please vote in our well-known annual KDnuggets Software Poll: What Analytics, Big Data, Data mining, Data Science software you used in the past 12 months for a real project?
- Code for India 2014 Global Hack-a-thon – Building a Better India through Innovative Solutions - May 19, 2014.
Non-stop 24 hours of coding at the Code for India 2014 hackathon leads to creative solutions for major social problems of India through interesting software applications.
- Exclusive: Tamr at the New Frontier of Big Data Curation - May 19, 2014.
Our exclusive profile of Tamr (former Data Tamer), the latest startup from legendary Michael Stonebraker, which emerged from stealth mode to address the new field of Big Data Curation.
- Top stories for May 11-17 - May 19, 2014.
Guide to Data Science Cheat Sheets; Watch: Basics of Machine Learning; Cartoon: Data Visualization meets 3-D Printer; Social Media and Web Analytics Innovation Summit 2014 Highlights.
- Top 100 Startup Experts to Follow on Twitter - May 17, 2014.
A list of Top 100 Startup Experts to Follow on Twitter is headed by @kdnuggets. Check our tweets on Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science startups and acquisitions under hashtag #BigDataCo.
- Poll Results: Data Types/Sources Analyzed - May 17, 2014.
Trends in data sources for data mining include: table data dominates, followed by time series and text; audio, JSON grows in popularity, while itemsets decline; 70% access DB engines, but only 20% access NoSQL stores; Hadoop, MongoDB used more for text; Europe is lagging in NoSQL usage.
- Predict Soccer World Cup 2014 Winner, Get Prizes from RapidMiner - May 16, 2014.
Use a free edition of RapidMiner to have fun and bring sports predictions to another level by making a prediction of Soccer (Futbol) World Cup 2014, which starts on June 12 in Brazil.
- KDD Cup 2014 – Predicting Excitement at DonorsChoose.org - May 16, 2014.
Predict which Donor Choose projects will be exciting. 2014 edition of KDD Cup, the first data mining competition, is on Kaggle. Submissions due June 15.
- Cartoon: Data Visualization meets 3-D Printer - May 11, 2014.
New KDnuggets Cartoon looks at what happens when Data Visualization meets 3-D Printer.
- Top stories for May 4-10 - May 11, 2014.
Data Scientists Not Required with Alteryx Analytics 9.0; 9 Free Books for Learning Data Mining and Data Analysis; Exclusive Interview: Todd Holloway, Data Science Lead, Trulia; Did Target really predict teen pregnancy?
- NineSigma Big Data Analytics RFP - May 9, 2014.
NineSigma is seeking proposals for mining user browsing/operations history, social networking services, and sensing devices to improve personalization and recommendation of products. Submit by May 23, 2014.
- MassTLC Big Data Meeting Delivers Insights, Perspective - May 8, 2014.
Summit highlights: Digitization and Datification - a love story, Strategies for creating a competitive advantage in #BigData world, Boston open data, Balancing privacy and governance, and the most widely used #BigData tool in the future.
- April 2014 Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining Acquisitions and Startups Activity - May 8, 2014.
April 2014 acquisitions, startups, and company activity in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science: Experfy, Dunnhumby, NexGraph, Fundbox, FICO, Gnip, Fliptop, InBloom, Jaspersoft, and more.
- Did Target Really Predict a Teen’s Pregnancy? The Inside Story - May 7, 2014.
We examine the origin and the facts behind this explosive story, the importance of headlines, and how unsubstantiated assumptions gain traction and mainstream attention and help create myths around Predictive Analytics.
- Top stories for Apr 27 – May 3 - May 4, 2014.
Cartoon: Data Scientist Salary Negotiation; 9 Free Books for Learning Data Mining and Data Analysis; MLTK: Machine Learning Toolkit in Java - free download; Mass Big Data Report 2014.
- Additions to KDnuggets Directory in April - May 4, 2014.
24 new Big Data and Data Science meetings, analytic consulting companies, Virginia data, Data Science certificates, Dean Abbott book on Applied Predictive Analytics, and more.
- Top stories in April - May 2, 2014.
Apache Spark, the hot new trend in Big Data; Data Analytics Handbook - interviews with tech leaders, free download; Learning and Teaching Machine Learning; 9 Free Books for Learning Data Mining and Data Analysis.
- Experfy, Big Data Consulting Marketplace from Harvard - May 2, 2014.
Good news for data experts - you have many new options with Experfy, a startup from Harvard Innovation Lab, which is a consulting marketplace where companies hire talent for Big Data, Analytics, and BI projects.