2014 May Publications
All (123) | Courses, Education (6) | Meetings & Reports (21) | News, Features (22) | Opinions, Interviews (26) | Publications (18) | Software (10) | Top Tweets (13) | Webcasts (7)
- KDnuggets 14:n13, Where to learn Deep Learning; Vowpal Wabbit; 10 Big Data Pros - May 28, 2014.
Latest analytics/data mining news, including Features, Software,Opinions, New, Webcasts, Courses, Meetings and Reports, Jobs, Academic Positions, Publications, Tweets, and CFP.
- Book: Data Mining and Analysis: Fundamental Concepts and Algorithms - May 27, 2014.
This textbook for senior undergraduate and graduate data mining courses provides a broad yet in-depth overview of data mining, integrating related concepts from machine learning and statistics. Companion website has data, slides and other teaching material.
- Outlier Detection for Temporal Data - May 22, 2014.
Outlier Detection for Temporal Data covers topics in temporal outlier detection, which have applications in numerous fields. It starts with the basic topics then moves on to state of the art techniques in the field.
- KDnuggets 14:n12, Annual Poll: Software Used? Tamr & Data Curation; Data Science Cheat Sheets - May 21, 2014.
Latest analytics/data mining news, including Features, Software, Opinions and Interviews, News, Webcasts, Courses, Meetings and Reports, Jobs, Publications, Top Tweets, and CFP.
- CIOReview Top 100 Most Promising Big Data Companies - May 17, 2014.
Top 100 Most Promising Big Data Companies according to CIO Review, from 7Segments to OpenBI to Zeta Interactive.
- Big Data Landscape, v 3.0, analyzed - May 15, 2014.
We analyze the Big Data Landscape and identify the most popular market segments in Analytics, Infrastructure, Applications, Open Source, and Data Sources categories. It is still early - only 4.5% of companies had exits.
- Has Predictive Analytics Crossed The Chasm? - May 15, 2014.
Recent study highlights the increasing market perception that Predictive Analytics leads to competitive advantage. The report also outlines current trends and challenges for Predictive Analytics.
- Watch: Basics of Machine Learning - May 14, 2014.
Watch series on machine learning, going from basics like Naive Bayes, Decision Tree, Generalization and Overfitting, to more complex topics like Hierarchical Agglomerative Clustering.
- New Book: Analytics in a Big Data World – The Essential Guide to Data Science - May 13, 2014.
For organizations looking to enhance their capabilities via data analytics, this book is the go-to reference for applying Data Science to make the right business decisions.
- Media Industry Embracing Analytics for Innovation and Competitive Edge - May 13, 2014.
Survey results highlight the importance of Analytics capability in media industry and the consumer beliefs on privacy vs. personalization benefits.
- Data Analytics Handbook p. 3, Interviews with Research Leaders and Academics, Free Download - May 13, 2014.
Part 3 features interviews with research leaders and academics, including Hal Varian (Chief Economist, Google), Gregory Piatetsky (Editor, KDnuggets), and Analytics Thought Leader Tom Davenport (Professor, Babson College). Free download.
- Forrester Research: Transform Your Organization with Strong Data Management - May 13, 2014.
New Forrester Research report shows how to build a more elastic and flexible data management practice to meet the new data demands. Free download compliments of Lavastorm Analytics.
- Healthcare Analytics: Identifying Leaders and Key Trends - May 12, 2014.
We review recently released report on Healthcare perceptions towards BI/Analytics and share key insights into who is leading healthcare analytics in different categories and what are the key dominant trends.
- Data Mining for Statisticians - May 10, 2014.
New video series from Salford Systems presents an approach to data mining from a statistical point of view.
- White House Report on Big Data: Opportunities and Values - May 9, 2014.
We summarize the key findings in the recently released White House report on Big Data, highlight the key opportunities and concerns, and list the recommendations made to the President.
- JMP White Paper: Advantages of Bootstrap Forest for Yield Analysis - May 7, 2014.
This white paper highlights practical examples on how to use partitioning techniques for semiconductor manufacturing data. These methods also have wider applicability.
- KDnuggets 14:n11, Poincare, Perelman, and Social networks; Industry Lessons; Experfy - May 7, 2014.
Latest analytics/data mining news, including Michael Brodie on Industry Lessons, Knowledge Discovery, Future Trends, and QCRI; Features, Opinions, Software, News, Webcasts, Meetings, Jobs, Publications, Tweets and CFP.
- 3 Key Trends in the DBMS Market - May 3, 2014.
The top 3 trends in DBMS include market consolidation, moving beyond OLTP, and distributed computing - we examine them in detail.