2014 Jun News, Features
All (103) | Courses, Education (4) | Meetings & Reports (10) | News, Features (22) | Opinions, Interviews (31) | Publications (8) | Software (8) | Top Tweets (13) | Webcasts (7)
- 100 Big Data Companies Analyzed - Jun 29, 2014.
We analyze the CRN Big Data 100 for insights into trends in the future of Big Data companies, including changes in database solutions, active regions, and what industries are undergoing the most change right now.
- Top stories for Jun 22-28 - Jun 29, 2014.
Does Deep Learning Have Deep Flaws? What is Text Analytics? Data Science Skills and Business Problems; CRN 50 Emerging Big Data Vendors.
- Menthal – Access Rich Smartphone Dataset - Jun 26, 2014.
Menthal projects studies smartphone habits and depression, and has an App which collects smartphone interactions and gives user a feedback. Researchers are invited to analyze a large set of volunteered data by visiting Bonn, Germany.
- CRN 50 Emerging Big Data Vendors - Jun 26, 2014.
We examine CRN top 50 Emerging Big Data Vendors, with 65% located in Silicon Valley. The prototypical company is located in San Francisco and develops software for Hadoop analytics platform. Competition will be tough!
- CRN 25 Big Data Management Companies - Jun 26, 2014.
We examine top 25 Big Data Management companies, part of CRN Big Data 100, including Actian, Couchbase, and MemSQL. A large fraction of these companies develop NoSQL solutions.
- CRN 50 Big Data Business Analytics Companies - Jun 25, 2014.
We examine CRN top 50 Big Data Business Analytics companies. They are younger (average age is 10), and 44% are founded since 2010.
- CRN 25 Big Data Infrastructure Companies - Jun 24, 2014.
We examine the top 25 Big Data Infrastructure companies, part of CRN Big Data 100, which includes Amazon, IBM, and Microsoft.
- KDnuggets Twitter Follower 20,000 – Interview - Jun 23, 2014.
KDnuggets crosses a milestone of 20,000 Twitter followers. Number 20,000 is a PhD student in Data Mining in China. I ask her about research, data mining, Big Data market leaders in China, and more.
- Top stories for Jun 15-21 - Jun 22, 2014.
Does Deep Learning Have Deep Flaws?; Cartoon: Big Data and World Cup Football; Optimizing the Netflix Experience with Data Science; The Cardinal Sin of Data Mining: Overfitting.
- New Poll: Largest dataset analyzed / data mined? - Jun 19, 2014.
New KDnuggets Poll is asking: What was the largest dataset you analyzed / data mined? The median answer in 2013 was 40-50 GB. Please vote and we will analyze and publish the trends.
- KDnuggets Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science Software Poll – Analyzed - Jun 17, 2014.
We analyze the results of KDnuggets Software Poll, including correlations between tools, and relationships between commercial, free, and Hadoop/Big Data tools. We identify a potential capability gap. Download anonymized data and analyze it yourself.
- Cartoon: Big Data and World Cup Football - Jun 17, 2014.
New KDnuggets Cartoon takes a fresh look on Big Data insights and World Cup 2014 in Soccer. What should a player do when Big Data predicts his behavior?
- Top stories for Jun 8-14 - Jun 15, 2014.
KDnuggets 15th Annual Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science Software Poll: RapidMiner Continues To Lead; Data Lakes vs Data Warehouses; The First Law of Data Science: Do Umbrellas Cause Rain? Huge Big Data Poster and Reference.
- Profile: KDnuggets Serves Analytics and Big Data Fields - Jun 11, 2014.
A profile of KDnuggets, including an overview, history, and present highlights, is featured on the homepage of INFORMS, a major society for Analytics and Optimization (until June 23, 2014).
- AlgoMost contest: Predicting future company acquisitions - Jun 11, 2014.
Develop an algorithm to predict which companies are most likely to be acquired in the current fiscal year.
- May 2014 Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining Acquisitions and Startups Activity - Jun 9, 2014.
May 2014 acquisitions, startups, and company activity in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science: 40 events, including ExtraHop, Capptain, Datalogix, "Data Nation", 6Sense, Sumo Logic, DataPad, SeeWhy, Tamr, LiveRamp, and Adometry.
- Top stories for Jun 1-7 - Jun 8, 2014.
New Poll: Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science Software Used? OpenNN, An Open Source Library For Neural Networks; Data Lakes vs Data Warehouses; Stanford University: Data Analyst.
- KDnuggets 15th Annual Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science Software Poll: RapidMiner Continues To Lead - Jun 7, 2014.
With over 3,000 data miners taking part in KDnuggets 15th Annual Software Poll, RapidMiner continues to lead. Free software is used much more outside US, and Hadoop usage grows fastest in Asia.
- Top stories in May: New Poll – Analytics, Data Mining Software; Data Science Cheat Sheets - Jun 5, 2014.
New Poll: Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science Software Used? Guide to Data Science Cheat Sheets; Big Data Landscape, v 3.0, analyzed; Where to Learn Deep Learning.
- ICON Challenge on Forecasting and Scheduling - Jun 3, 2014.
ICON is a combined competition with both a machine learning component (predicting energy prices) and an scheduling component (using the predicted prices to schedule tasks on machines).
- Additions to KDnuggets Directory in May - Jun 2, 2014.
ClearVu Analytics, OpenNN neural net library from Intelnics, QIWare, Vowpal Wabbit software for fast learning, Analytics Vidhya, 17 new Big Data meetings, companies, Latin American Data Science education, and more.
- Top stories for May 25-31 - Jun 1, 2014.
New Poll: Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science Software Used? Where to Learn Deep Learning - Courses, Tutorials, Software; Interview: Martin Hack, CEO, Skytree on Industrializing Machine Learning for Big Data; Data Mining and Analysis: Fundamental Concepts and Algorithms.