2014 Aug News, Features
All (106) | Courses, Education (7) | Meetings (8) | News, Features (24) | Opinions, Interviews, Reports (33) | Publications (8) | Software (7) | Top Tweets (13) | Webcasts (6)
- Top stories for Aug 24-30: 4 main languages for Analytics, Data Mining; Dataiku Data Science Studio - Aug 31, 2014.
Four main languages for Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science; Dataiku Data Science Studio; KDD-2014 - The Biggest, Best, and Booming Data Science Meeting; On the Secret Sauce of Impressive Content Curation.
- KDD-2014 Ice Bucket Challenge - Aug 30, 2014.
KDD-2014 team of Jure Leskovec, Claudia Perlich, Sofus Macskassy, Gregory Piatetsky, and Rayid Ghani responds to the Ice Bucket challenge.
- KDD-2014 – The Biggest, Best, and Booming Data Science Meeting - Aug 28, 2014.
KDD-2014 was the largest (with over 2300 people) and the best Data Science meeting, highlighting the huge progress of Data Science made with Big Data, and its even more amazing potential.
- Kaggle Epilepsy Seizure Prediction Challenge - Aug 28, 2014.
Create a forecasting system for predicting epileptic seizures in this Kaggle challenge to help improve the lives of epilepsy patients and win prizes. Competition ends on November 17.
- Top stories for Aug 17-23: Four main languages for Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science - Aug 24, 2014.
Four main languages for Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science; Sibyl: Google system for Large Scale Machine Learning; Top Research Leaders in Data Mining; Interview: Pedro Domingos: the Master Algorithm, new type of Deep Learning.
- KDD-2014 Awards Winners - Aug 22, 2014.
KDD-2014, the leading and the largest conference in data mining, data science, and knowledge discovery, recognizes the key researchers and contributors through several awards - read about the winners.
- Four main languages for Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science - Aug 18, 2014.
New KDnuggets Poll shows the growing dominance of four main languages for Analytics, Data Mining, and Data Science: R, SAS, Python, and SQL - used by 91% of data scientists - and decline in popularity of other languages, except for Julia and Scala.
- Top stories for Aug 10-16: Certificates in Analytics, Data Mining; OpenML: Share, Discover and Do Machine Learning - Aug 17, 2014.
Certificates in Analytics, Data Mining, and Data Science; OpenML: Share, Discover and Do Machine Learning; Top 10 References for applying Big Data and Analytics in Business; Data is not a fad.
- Top Research Leaders in Data Mining, Data Science, and KDD - Aug 16, 2014.
We identify the top researchers in Data Mining, Data Science, and KDD. Jiawei Han, Philip Yu, and Christos Faloutsos remain the leaders, but they are joined by many fast rising young researchers - the leaders of tomorrow.
- Experiment: Toward a Thermostatistics for Complex Systems - Aug 14, 2014.
Crowdfunding experiment: a data scientist at Radius.com believes that physics for complex systems and Big Data is just around the corner, and asks you to support his experiment on open-source Complex Thermostatistics.
- Top Analytics and Big Data trends ahead of Strata Hadoop NYC Conference - Aug 14, 2014.
Top trends in Analytics and Big Data named by our readers ahead of Strata + Hadoop NYC conference include Deep Learning, Apache Spark, democratization of analytics, and real-time processing of Big Data.
- Top stories for Aug 3-9: Cartoon: Big Data Viz and 7-D Printer; Exclusive: Dell on Data Mining, Statistica future - Aug 10, 2014.
Cartoon: Big Data Visualization and 7-D Printer; Exclusive: Dell Management on Analytics, Data Mining, Statistica future; Becoming a Data Scientist: MS Program, Bootcamp, or MOOCs?; Big Data Innovation Summit 2014 Toronto highlights.
- Certificates in Analytics, Data Mining, and Data Science - Aug 8, 2014.
Forty six options for Certificates and Certifications in Analytics, Business Analytics, Data Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science, SAS, and R - available online, on-campus and in a blended format.
- July 2014 Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining Acquisitions and Startups Activity - Aug 7, 2014.
July 2014 acquisitions, startups, and company activity in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science: Twitter buys Madbits, WalmartLabs buys Luvocracy, Zillow buys Trulia, Apple buys Booklamp, Yahoo buys Flurry, Salesforce buys RelateIQ, Couchbase, GE, Databricks, and more.
- MongoHQ becomes Compose, combines ElasticSearch and MongoDB - Aug 6, 2014.
Database-as-a-service provider MongoHQ offers both MongoDB and ElasticSearch as a service through its platform, renames itself to Compose.
- New Poll: What languages you used for analytics / data mining / data science work in 2014? - Aug 6, 2014.
New KDnuggets Poll is asking: What languages you used for analytics / data mining / data science work in 2014? Please vote.
- Top stories in July: Cartoon: Facebook data science experiment and Cats; Data Mining/Data Science “Nobel Prize” - Aug 5, 2014.
Cartoon: Facebook data science experiment and Happy Cats; Data Mining/Data Science "Nobel Prize": ACM SIGKDD 2014 Innovation Award to Pedro Domingos; Is "Data Scientist" more than "Data Analyst"?; When Watson Meets Machine Learning.
- TEXATA Big Data Analytics World Championships, KDnuggets Discount - Aug 5, 2014.
The Big Data Analytics World Championship involves two online qualification rounds and a Live World Finals event held in Texas, USA in October 2014. Free registration for KDnuggets readers.
- Lavastorm Sun Seekers Caribbean Challenge 2 - Aug 5, 2014.
Use Lavastorm Analytics Engine Public Edition to overcome data quality issues and consolidate the lists. Step-by-step instructions make completing the task a snap! Submit your entry by August 31, 2014.
- Exclusive: Dell Management on Analytics, Data Mining, Statistica future - Aug 4, 2014.
In March, Dell bought StatSoft, a maker of popular Statistica platform for data analysis. I recently talked with Dell management about the acquisition, role of Statistica in Dell, and Dell plans for Analytics, Big Data, and Data Mining.
- Cartoon: Big Data Visualization and 7-D Printer - Aug 3, 2014.
Big Data is hard to visualize, even with 3-D printers. New KDnuggets cartoon goes beyond 3-D and examines a 7-D Printer.
- Top stories for Jul 27 – Aug 2: What does Big Data tell us about Romance - Aug 3, 2014.
Interview: Thomas Levi, PlentyOfFish on what does Big Data tell us about Romance and how online dating is improving matching through Big Data; Predictive Analytics Innovation Summit 2014 London: Day 1 Highlights; Probabilistic Approaches to Recommendations.
- ACM SIGKDD 2014 Service Award to Ted Senator - Aug 2, 2014.
The highest award recognizing service to the field of knowledge discovery, data mining, and data science, was awarded to Ted Senator for his contributions to professional conferences and support of research through DARPA.
- Additions to KDnuggets Directory in July - Aug 1, 2014.
15 new/updated online education options in Analytics, Data Mining, and Data Science, 18 new meetings, new consulting companies, software for visualization, social network analysis, text analytics, and more.