IEEE ICDM 2014 Outstanding Service Award: Prof. Rao Kotagiri
IEEE ICDM 2014 highest recognition for service achievements in Data Mining goes to Prof. Rao Kotagiri from U. of Melbourne, for his work on editorial boards of IEEE TKDE, VLDB, and SADM journals, and major contributions to ICDM, ICDE, SIGMOD, PAKDD, and other conferences.
The IEEE ICDM Outstanding Service Award is the highest recognition for service achievements in Data Mining, and is given to one individual or one group who has made major service contributions that have promoted Data Mining as a field and ICDM as the world's premier research conference in Data Mining. The 2014 IEEE ICDM Outstanding Service Award goes to Dr. Ramamohanarao (Rao) Kotagiri, Professor of Computer Science at The University of Melbourne, Australia.
Rao Kotagiri has been a Professor at The University of Melbourne since 1989. He is a Fellow of the Australian Academy of Science, as well as the Australian Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering. He has a long history of promoting ICDM and the field of data mining. He was a founding member of ICDM and has been a Steering Committee member since its inception. He was Honorary Chair for ICDM 2012 in Sydney and has also undertaken roles such as Panels Chair and Awards Chair for the conference.
Professor Kotagiri's service to the broader data mining community includes service on a range of editorial boards, including IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, Knowledge and Information Systems, The VLDB Journal and Statistical Analysis and Data Mining. He is recently a General co-Chair for IEEE ICDE (2013) and ACM SIGMOD (2014), venues fostering top research in databases and knowledge discovery. He has also been active in the Asia-Pacific region, being co-PC Chair for the 2nd PAKDD Conference in 1998 and shortly afterwards, being one of the co-founders of the PAKDD Steering Committee.
Professor Kotagiri has also made significant contributions to the research areas of pattern mining and classification, intrusion detection and text mining. He has published over 300 research papers and supervised 48 PhD students.
2014 IEEE ICDM Nomination and Evaluation Committees
- Geoff Webb (Co-Chair), Monash University, Australia
- Xindong Wu (Co-Chair), University of Vermont, USA
- Christopher W. Clifton, Purdue University, USA
- Jerome H. Friedman, Stanford University, USA
- David J. Hand, Imperial College, London, UK
- Hans-Peter Kriegel, Ludwig-Maximilians-Universitaet Munich, Germany
- Vipin Kumar, University of Minnesota, USA
- Heikki Mannila, Aalto University, Finland
- Geoff McLachlan, University of Queensland, Australia
- Gregory Piatetsky-Shapiro, KDnuggets, USA
- Shusaku Tsumoto, Shimane University, Japan
- Benjamin W. Wah, Chinese University of Hong Kong, China
- Wei Wang, University of California at Los Angeles, USA
- Osmar R. Zaiane, University of Alberta, Canada
|Top Stories Past 30 Days|