2014 Oct News, Features
All (105) | Courses, Education (6) | Meetings (11) | News, Features (25) | Opinions, Interviews, Reports (24) | Publications (7) | Software (8) | Top Tweets (14) | Webcasts (10)
- Cartoon: Halloween Costume for Big Data - Oct 28, 2014.
New KDnuggets cartoon looks at the appropriate Halloween costume for Big Data and its companion, No Privacy.
- CRISP-DM, still the top methodology for analytics, data mining, or data science projects - Oct 28, 2014.
CRISP-DM remains the most popular methodology for analytics, data mining, and data science projects, with 43% share in latest KDnuggets Poll, but a replacement for unmaintained CRISP-DM is long overdue.
- Top stories for Oct 19-25: Ebola Data Science Lessons; DM Radio, Oct 30 on Predictive Tools with KDnuggets, Predixion - Oct 26, 2014.
Ebola Analytics and Data Science Lessons; DM Radio: Predictive Tools Are Pervasive, with KDnuggets, Predixion, RedPoint, and Appnomic, Oct 30; Big Data for Social Good IBM + Hadoop Challenge; TweetNLP: Twitter Natural Language Processing.
- IEEE ICDM 2014 Outstanding Service Award: Prof. Rao Kotagiri - Oct 25, 2014.
IEEE ICDM 2014 highest recognition for service achievements in Data Mining goes to Prof. Rao Kotagiri from U. of Melbourne, for his work on editorial boards of IEEE TKDE, VLDB, and SADM journals, and major contributions to ICDM, ICDE, SIGMOD, PAKDD, and other conferences.
- IEEE ICDM 2014 Research Contributions Award: Prof. Jian Pei - Oct 25, 2014.
Jian Pei wins a highest recognition for research in Data Mining for his work on the core frontiers of data mining, including pattern mining, classification, clustering, anomaly detection and outlier analysis.
- Ebola Analytics and Data Science Lessons - Oct 20, 2014.
We analyze latest Ebola data, examine the recent slowdown in growth of cases in Liberia, and analyze its likely causes. Many problems with data lend themselves to good data science lessons.
- Request: Crowdsourcing Health and Nutrition Tweets - Oct 20, 2014.
Help investigate the relationships between geo-location, age, gender, and nutrition through the medium of Twitter by labeling tweets for this research project.
- Big Data for Social Good IBM + Hadoop Challenge - Oct 20, 2014.
Use city data to develop great applications for social good and earn prizes in IBM's new Big Data for Social Good challenge, starting in November 10. More information on eligibility, terms, and prizes will be available at launch.
- Top stories for Oct 12-18: New Poll: Methodology for Analytics, Data Mining Projects? Big Data Is Not Big Context - Oct 19, 2014.
New Poll: Methodology for Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science Projects? Big Data Is Not Big Context; Big Data on the Internet of Things; ADW, free software to measure semantic similarity.
- Interactive Network and Graph Data Repository - Oct 17, 2014.
The network repository currently hosts over 500+ graphs/networks that span 19 collections of graphs from social science, machine learning, scientific computing, and many others.
- LinkedIn Economic Graph Challenge - Oct 16, 2014.
Leverage the LinkedIn Economic Graph for your innovative and ambitious ideas for increasing economic value and gaining insights into economic opportunities using LinkedIn data and support. Proposals due Dec 15.
- Lavastorm Wizard and Witches Challenge - Oct 15, 2014.
Make-believe costume company, WigWarts Costumes, is launching a new glow in the dark range of costumes in time for Halloween 2014. Help them combine and analyze data in Lavastorm Wizard and Witches Challenge - entries due Oct 30.
- Big Data on the Internet of Things - Oct 14, 2014.
ParStream unveils the first analytics platform purpose-built for the speed and scale of the Internet of Things (IoT).
- New Poll: Methodology for Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science Projects? - Oct 13, 2014.
KDnuggets revisits the question of methodology, and asks "What main methodology are you using for your analytics, data mining, or data science projects?" Please vote.
- Top stories for Oct 5-11: Analyzing Ebola spread; Data science shows surveys may assess language more than attitudes - Oct 12, 2014.
Analyzing Ebola - Is it spreading at exponential rate?; Data science shows surveys may assess language more than attitudes; Making Sense of Public Data - Wrangling Jeopardy.
- September 2014 Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining Acquisitions and Startups Activity - Oct 9, 2014.
September 2014 acquisitions, startups, and company activity in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science: Hootsuite, eBay - Paypal, MemSQL/In-Q-Tel, Qualtrics, SingTel, Radius, Numerify, DataStax, Nielsen/Indicus, Mail.ru/VKontakte, Teradata / Think Big Analytics.
- Top stories in September: Data Science is mainly a Human Science; Hiring Data Scientists: What to look for? - Oct 7, 2014.
Data Science is mainly a Human Science; Hiring Data Scientists: What to look for?; Most Viewed Machine Learning Talks at Videolectures; Neural Networks and Deep Learning, free online book (draft).
- Request: Top Business Analytics Journals? - Oct 7, 2014.
For a young business school professor in business analytics, what are the five to eight A-level journals in which he/she should try to publish?
- Competition: Forecasting social network dynamic graph - Oct 6, 2014.
Forecast the creation and disruption of edges in social networks representing social platforms, mobile clients, or the research community. Competition runs until Nov 28.
- Top stories for Sep 28 – Oct 4: Mirador, a free tool for visual exploration of complex datasets - Oct 5, 2014.
Mirador, a free tool for visual exploration of complex datasets; Data Science is mainly a Human Science; Get Started in Text Analytics; Associations and Text Mining of World Events.
- Analyzing Ebola – Is it spreading at exponential rate? - Oct 4, 2014.
We examine how fast Ebola actually spreads in West Africa, and find a very different situation in Liberia, Guinea, and Sierra Leone. Unfortunately, recently it does spread exponentially.
- KDnuggets Free Pass to Big Data TechCon How-To Conference, Oct 27-29, San Francisco - Oct 3, 2014.
Win a free KDnuggets Pass for Big Data TechCon in San Francisco - the conference to learn HOW-TO accommodate the terabytes and petabytes of data, learn the latest big data technologies, mingle and network.
- Mirador Open Data Competition - Oct 2, 2014.
This competition wants to get people interested in data-driven hypothesis making by offering a tool that is as intuitive and engaging as possible, while maintaining solid scientific and statistical foundations. Submissions due Oct 28.
- One-handed Keystroke Biometric Identification Competition - Oct 2, 2014.
Build a biometric keystroke classifier in this new competition to help identify the features that best predict one-handed typing samples. The prize for first place is a fingerprint scanner.
- Additions to KDnuggets Directory in September - Oct 1, 2014.
Boston DataFest and Analytics Street, Big Data Summits, PAKDD, and more meetings, DecisionIQ and Quantum Data Science, BS in Data Science from Ottawa, MS from RPI, and more.