All (89) | Courses, Education (12) | Meetings (6) | News, Features (15) | Opinions, Interviews, Reports (20) | Publications (12) | Software (6) | Top Tweets (12) | Webcasts (6)
- Panel on Data Science Education, Dec 4 - Nov 30, 2014.
Watch an all-star panel of experts on Data Science Education: What it is now, what is (and is not) needed, and what it can be in the future. Palo Alto (free attendance) or online.
- Top stories for Nov 23-29: Update: Top LinkedIn Groups for Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science - Nov 30, 2014.
Update: Top LinkedIn Groups for Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science; 9 Must-Have Skills You Need to Become a Data Scientist; Cartoon: Thanksgiving, Big Data, and Turkey Data Science; Most Popular SlideShare Presentations on Data Science.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Nov 26-28: Facebook AI team hires Vladimir Vapnik, father of SVM - Nov 29, 2014.
Facebook's #AI team hires Vladimir Vapnik, father of popular #SVM algorithm; Starting data analysis/wrangling with R: Things I wish I'd been told; How to deal with missing values - advice from @Knime #DataMining; Understanding The Various Sources of #BigData - Infographic.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Nov 24-25: Why So Many Data Ideas Fail: beware of building on public or others data - Nov 28, 2014.
Why So Many Data Ideas Fail: beware of building on public or others data; #BigData Top Trends in 2015: In-memory DBs, Non-Data Scientists, Sensor Data ...; Hackathon pits data scientists against social problems; Great course: Intro to Statistical Learning, with Applications in R.
- Most Popular Slideshare Presentations on Big Data - Nov 28, 2014.
Hadoop, the cloud, and Microsoft Azure are just a few of the many topics covered by the top Big Data SlideShare presentations retrieved from the SlideShare API.
- Big Data Top Trends in 2015 - Nov 28, 2014.
Big Data may bring increased usage of in-memory databases, data democratization, sensor data, customer and HR analytics, and big data-driven corporate insights in 2015, according to Josie King of Innovation Enterprise.
- LION Intelligent Learning and Optimization News - Nov 26, 2014.
LION intelligent learning and optimization adds full support for Java packages, new visualization neatly explains overfitting, and get "The LION way" book on Kindle (free if you qualify).
- Data Science at University of Minnesota - Nov 26, 2014.
A rigorous degree for students who want to learn state-of-the-art methods to manage and analyse Big Data, and the theory behind the methods.
- Most Popular Slideshare Presentations on Data Science - Nov 25, 2014.
Top SlideShare data science presentations provide a unique view on topics like data science management, using Python and NumPy in your data science project, and leveraging data science for enterprise big data.
- Surfing the Big Data Wave at H2O World - Nov 25, 2014.
Recent H2O World event showcased its open-source, scalable machine learning in the cloud, intended for people familiar with R but limited by its scalability. H2O can run on Hadoop and also on Apache Spark.
- KDnuggets 14:n31, Update: Top LinkedIn Groups for Analytics; Cartoon: Thanksgiving Data Science - Nov 25, 2014.
Update: Top LinkedIn Groups for Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science; Cartoon: Thanksgiving and Turkey Data Science; 9 Must-Have Skills You Need to Become a Data Scientist, and more.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – Nov 25 and beyond - Nov 24, 2014.
Social Media to Actionable Insights, NoSQL and Big Data in the Government, NoSQL Database Architecture, All-vs-All: Correlation Using Spark/Hadoop, The 2015 Analytics Predictions Webinar, and more.
- Webinar: Data Mining: Failure to Launch [Dec 17] - Nov 24, 2014.
Learn how to get started with predictive modeling and overcome strategic and tactical limitations that cause data mining projects to fall short of their potential. Next webinar is Dec 17.
- Top KDnuggets tweets last week, Nov 17-23: Keep this #Python Cheat Sheet handy; Is #BigData The Most Hyped Technology? - Nov 24, 2014.
Keep this #Python Cheat Sheet handy when learning to code; Is #BigData The Most Hyped Technology Ever?; Huge advance by Stanford and Google: #AI software recognizes images, writes captions; 20 Insane Things That Correlate W/ Each Other.
- Cartoon: Thanksgiving, Big Data, and Turkey Data Science - Nov 24, 2014.
We revisit KDnuggets Thanksgiving cartoon, which examines the predicament of one group of fowl Data Scientists.
- Update: Top LinkedIn Groups for Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science - Nov 23, 2014.
We update our analysis of top LinkedIn Groups for Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science. The largest groups grow faster than smaller ones, the number of discussions is growing, but engagement and comments are declining. Are groups reaching saturation?
- Top stories for Nov 16-22: R, Hadoop make machine learning possible for all; Azure ML is the next big thing - Nov 23, 2014.
R and Hadoop make Machine Learning Possible for Everyone; Why Azure ML is the Next Big Thing for Machine Learning; IBM Watson Analytics - Will it Replace Data Scientists? 9 Must-Have Skills You Need to Become a Data Scientist.
- Highlights and PPTs from the IEEE Big Data 2014 conference - Nov 23, 2014.
The IEEE International Conference on Big Data has quickly become a top-tier conference. Check the highlights and presentations from 2014 event, held recently Washington, DC, with about 600 attendees.
- Interview: Philip Maymin, NYU on Why Sports should Embrace Analytics? - Nov 22, 2014.
We discuss how the increasing use of Analytics will change the game of basketball, the concern of Analytics ruining the game, significant trends, advice and more.
- 9 Must-Have Skills You Need to Become a Data Scientist - Nov 22, 2014.
Burtch Works details the top 9 data science skills that potential data scientists must have to be competitive in this growing marketplace from the perspective of a recruiter.
- Interview: Philip Maymin, NYU on How Optical Analytics will Revolutionize Basketball - Nov 21, 2014.
We discuss the emergence of Optical Analytics, its impact on NBA, challenges in integrating Optical Analytics into game strategy, the trade-off of analytical insights vs gut instinct and the impact on fan engagement.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Nov 19-20: 20 Insane Things That Correlate with Each Other - Nov 21, 2014.
Spurious #Correlations - 20 Insane Things That Correlate W/ Each Other; 10 Most Profitable Industries According to #BigData; MIT researchers show 5 clusters are enough for collab filtering; Every publisher now a start-up, says NYT Top Data Scientist.
- White paper: How Analytics Is Shaping HR Role In Business - Nov 20, 2014.
Download a free white paper which focuses on the changing nature of HR in the workplace due to increased analytics and the improved ability to integrate data and systems, from the perspectives of 4 experts from top firms.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Nov 17-18: Keep this #Python Cheat Sheet handy; Is #BigData The Most Hyped Technology Ever? - Nov 19, 2014.
Keep this #Python Cheat Sheet handy when learning to code; Is #BigData The Most Hyped Technology Ever? No (at least not yet); How to become a data scientist in 8 (not so) easy steps;R and Hadoop make Machine Learning Possible for Everyone.
- Interview: Joseph Sirosh, Microsoft on Azure ML and the Emerging Data Science Economy - Nov 19, 2014.
We discuss what distinguishes Azure ML from its intense competition, the online machine learning university, current maturity level of Big Data solutions, important skills for data scientists and more.
- Companion Website for “Data Mining and Analysis: Fundamental Concepts and Algorithms” - Nov 19, 2014.
Supplementary materials for the textbook Data Mining and Analysis: Fundamental Concepts and Algorithms are now available online and include figures, slides, datasets, videos, and more. Download them today.
- A 3D Analytic Framework for Visual Data Discovery - Nov 19, 2014.
A presented 3D Visual Analytic Framework enables Visual Data Discovery, and allows all discovery actions to performed inside 3D Unified Visual Data Representation Space.
- KDnuggets 14:n30, Where did you apply analytics? IBM Watson vs Data Scientists - Nov 19, 2014.
Also: New poll; R and Hadoop make Machine Learning Possible for Everyone and more; Top SlideShare Presentations on Data Mining; The Future of Analytics and more.
- PAW: Predictive Analytics World for Business, Mar 29 – Apr 2, San Francisco - Nov 18, 2014.
PAW Business covers a wide range of business applications across industry sectors, including marketing, credit scoring, insurance, fraud detection - check the outstanding program and get KDnuggets and early bird discounts.
- TMA Predictive Analytics Data Mining Training
[Las Vegas, Dec | Orlando, Feb] - Nov 18, 2014.Successful analytics in the big data era does not start with data and software, but with hands-on, immersive training and goal-driven strategy - get it from The Modeling Agency. Next courses in Las Vegas (Dec) and Orlando (Feb).
- AnalyticsStreet Panel Report: Frontiers and Dangers of Analytics and Big Data - Nov 18, 2014.
A summary of technology panel I moderated with analytics leaders from DataXu, Tamr, Sqrrl, Nutonian, and Basis Technology. Key issues that emerged include machine learning, streaming data, unstructured and text data, the data mining process, security, and privacy.
- Interview: Joseph Sirosh, Microsoft on How Azure ML is Simplifying Predictive Analytics - Nov 18, 2014.
Microsoft Corporate VP of Machine Learning, Joseph Sirosh talks about the recently released Azure ML, users’ feedback, favorite business use cases, how Azure ML fits in the Microsoft’s portfolio for Big Data solutions and more.
- Data Analytics Week for Government, Feb 23-25, Washington, DC - Nov 18, 2014.
Download the brochure to see the full line-up of speakers and sessions that help you unravel the key issues in federal data analytics - special KDnuggets discount. Also get free report on Big Data Analytics Market 2013-2023.
- Why Azure ML is the Next Big Thing for Machine Learning? - Nov 17, 2014.
With advanced capabilities, free access, strong support for R, cloud hosting benefits, drag-and-drop development and many more features, Azure ML is ready to take the consumerization of ML to the next level.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Nov 09-16: 8 Steps to Becoming a #DataScientist; Learn How Google Understands You - Nov 17, 2014.
8 Steps to Becoming a Data Scientist; Learn How Google Understands You; Workday #BigData Analysis can predict which employees likely to leave; A Very Good #DeepLearning Tutorial;
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – Nov 18 and beyond - Nov 17, 2014.
Data Mining: Failure To Launch, Data Visualization, Scores Aren't Enough, Big Bioinformatics without Big Hassles, Starting Small and Scaling Big with Hadoop, YARN, WCAI Oppy: Desktop Software Subscription Analysis, and more.
- The Analytics of Digital Transformation, according to TCS - Nov 17, 2014.
Lipika Dey, in this interview before her talk at next month's LT-Accelerate conference, discusses consumer and market analytics and techniques to extract actionable information from text and social media data.
- SQL School tackles the data analyst shortage - Nov 17, 2014.
SQL School is a free, interactive tutorial from Mode Analytics, written by analysts for aspiring analysts. Check it out!
- New Poll: Industries where you applied analytics / data mining in 2014? - Nov 17, 2014.
New KDnuggets Poll is asking: where did you apply analytics / data mining in 2014? Please vote and we will analyze, compare, and publish the results.
- R and Hadoop make Machine Learning Possible for Everyone - Nov 16, 2014.
R and Hadoop make machine learning approachable enough for inexperienced users to begin analyzing and visualizing interesting data to start down the path in this lucrative field.
- Top stories for Nov 9-15: IBM Watson Analytics – Will It Replace Data Scientists? - Nov 16, 2014.
IBM Watson Analytics - Will It Replace Data Scientists ? Will Deep Learning take over Machine Learning? Most Popular SlideShare Presentations on Data Mining; Top KDnuggets tweets last week: P-values are not as reliable.
- KDnuggets Exclusive: Marten Mickos, SVP, HP on the Role of Open Source in Cloud industry - Nov 15, 2014.
In an exclusive interview with KDnuggets, Marten talks about HP’s Open Source strategy, evolution of Open Source production model, learning from the success of Open Source in Web, trends and more.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Nov 12-13: Predicting employees likely to leave; Hacker guide to Neural Nets and Machine Learning - Nov 15, 2014.
Workday #BigData Analysis can predict which employees likely to leave; Hacker's guide to Neural Networks and Machine Learning; Enough With 'Feel Good' #DataScience; Most Popular SlideShare Presentations on Data Mining.
- 2015 RecSys Challenge: predicting online purchases from clicks - Nov 14, 2014.
ACM RecSys 2015 poses the 2015 RecSys Challenge, seeking researchers interested in prediction of purchases and clicks from online users using a dataset provided by a large European retailer.
- Webcast: Analytically Speaking Featuring Dan Ariely - Nov 14, 2014.
Dan Ariely, author of several best-sellers, and TED speaker watched by millions, uses simple experiments to study how people actually act when making real-life decisions. Watch his "Analytically Speaking" webcast.
- KDnuggets Exclusive: Marten Mickos, SVP, HP on Why the Future Belongs to “Hybrid Clouds” - Nov 13, 2014.
In an exclusive interview with KDnuggets, Marten talks about the future of Eucalyptus (recently acquired by HP), defines Hybrid Clouds and their importance, and gives some tips for vendor selection.
- Most Popular Slideshare Presentations on Data Mining - Nov 13, 2014.
SlideShare data mining presentations cover many topics, offering a unique way of consuming data mining content and exploring a variety of slideshows, both narrow and broad in scope.
- Customer Intelligence in Action, Feb 25-27, San Diego - Nov 13, 2014.
Check the complete program for Customer Intelligence in Action, Feb 25-27, 2015 in San Diego - the most practical and actionable event for customer analytics and experience professionals.
- Machine Learning Summer School 2015, Sydney, Australia - Nov 12, 2014.
MLSS will provide graduate students, academics and industry professionals with an intense learning experience on the theory and applications of modern machine learning.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Nov 10-11: R on its way to the top 10; Using #MachineLearning to Detect Abnormalities - Nov 12, 2014.
Statistical language R on its way to the top 10; California rules #DataScience, but there's a very long tail; How to Explain #BigData to Your Grandmother; Using #MachineLearning to Detect Abnormalities in Time Series Data.
- Georgia Tech Interdisciplinary MS in Analytics - Nov 12, 2014.
The program leverages the strengths and resources of Georgia Tech in computing, business, statistics, and operations research, and gives practical experience via an applied analytics practicum.
- TDWI Orlando – The Premier Education Conference for BI, DW, Big Data, Data Analytics – Savings Extended - Nov 11, 2014.
With over 45 courses on the full agenda, TDWI Orlando has what you need to succeed with your data and analytics projects! Savings extended - use priority code OR63.
- IBM Watson Analytics – Will it Replace Data Scientists ? - Nov 11, 2014.
We review IBM Watson Analytics Beta version, the service which aims to provide an automated data scientist and intended for business users who want to move beyond spreadsheets for analysis .
- DrivenData: Box-Plots for Education - Nov 11, 2014.
DrivenData with ERS is seeking to improve budgetary strategy for public schools through this data science competition which aims to predict how budgets are allocated.
- MLconf: Today’s Adventures in Applied Machine Learning, San Francisco, Nov 14 - Nov 10, 2014.
Attend MLconf to listen to speakers from top companies, network with 300+ data scientists, business executives, engineers and students. Special KDnuggets discount.
- iMathCloud, Python Data Science Platform - Nov 10, 2014.
iMathResearch presents its first tool for big data analysis, offering easy access to computational tools, a simple Python-based interface, cloud-based collaboration, and private computational instances.
- Top KDnuggets tweets last week: P-values, the “gold standards” of statistical validity, are not as reliable - Nov 10, 2014.
P-values, the "gold standards" of statistical validity, are not as reliable; He Tweeted, She Tweeted: A Study on Romantic Breakups; A population density map of France from phone calls; Demystifying #DataScience.
- Top stories for Nov 2-8: Will Deep Learning take over Machine Learning? Magic: Turn Webpage Into Data - Nov 10, 2014.
Will Deep Learning take over Machine Learning?; 'Magic' - Quickest Way to Turn Webpage Into Data; Big Data Winter ahead - unless we change course, warns Michael Jordan.
- SemEval Aspect Based Sentiment Analysis Competition - Nov 9, 2014.
User-Generated content has resulted in an increased interest in sentiment mining, and with this, aspect-based sentiment analysis (ABSA). Develop new techniques in ABSA for ABSA15.
- October 2014 Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining Acquisitions and Startups Activity - Nov 8, 2014.
October 2014 acquisitions, startups, and company activity in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science: DrivenData, Map-D, Microsoft buys Equivio, Alteryx, Cazena, Ello, Zoomdata, Cloudera buys DataPad, Tibco goes private.
- DATA SCIENCE BOOTCAMP in New York City, Jan – Apr 2015 - Nov 8, 2014.
Learn Data Science in 12 weeks with in-person expert instruction - learn designing, implementing, and communicating the results of a Data Science project, including Data Visualization, modern Big Data tools and Hadoop stack.
- How Analytics is Shaping HR Role In Business – White Paper - Nov 8, 2014.
Human resources has been shaped by data analytics in how it can provide insights into workforce management, leading to improved utilization of human capital and stronger business strategies.
- To Hire Quants, Fix Your Hiring Process - Nov 7, 2014.
Hiring talented quants requires an up-to-date hiring process including components like competitive salaries, special bonuses, expedient timelines, and that extra special touch to make your company stand out to quality candidates.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Nov 5-6: Free access to Microsoft Azure Machine Learning; 2 ways Big Data can make us happier - Nov 7, 2014.
Good news for Data Scientists! Free access to Microsoft Azure Machine Learning; 100 Years of Computer Science and 10 academic papers that changed computing; Internet Saturated Nations; For every job-seeker in #BigData sector there are 3.6 jobs.
- Big Data Comic Explains the Current State of Privacy - Nov 7, 2014.
A new comic from Al Jazeera simplifies the Big Data concepts and educates on the privacy concerns based on recent technology advancements.
- Berkeley Michael Jordan says Big Data is transformative, not a delusion - Nov 7, 2014.
Machine Learning expert Michael Jordan is dismayed by the misleading "The Delusions of Big Data" title given to his interview, says Big Data not a delusion, but transformative, changing academia and society.
- Why the Fast Data world needs a proven and mature In-Memory Data Fabric? - Nov 6, 2014.
The exponential growth in demand for data processing is leading to immense interest in In-Memory Computing. GridGain In-Memory Data Fabric has now been accepted into the Apache Incubator program.
- The Future of Analytics: 3 Predictions for BI in 2015 - Nov 6, 2014.
A look at business intelligence in the year to come, in light of the latest developments in the industry: data keeps growing, companies demand self-service and agile software, and in-memory technology is forced to face its limitations.
- NTU MSc Data Analytics for Business - Nov 6, 2014.
Students in this part-time Multidisciplinary Masters will leverage knowledge across 9 academic schools and in consultation with faculty conduct a 3-6 month unique work-based project.
- Stanford: Online Certificates in Data Mining and Management - Nov 6, 2014.
Learn the science and art of managing people, products, processes, and data with from Stanford world-famous faculty with online courses like "Mining Massive Data Sets" or "Intro to Statistical Learning".
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Nov 3-4: A population density map of France derived from 1B cellphone call records - Nov 5, 2014.
A population density map of France derived from 1B cellphone call records; IBM Insight 2014; A reminder from Lockheed Martin that #BigData can be a slow process; The key language a Data Scientist should master is not R or Python, but Business.
- ‘Magic’ – Quickest Way to Turn Webpage Into Data - Nov 5, 2014.
Import.io's new feature - 'Magic' allows users to instantly turn web pages into tables of data: No Plugins, No Training, No Setup. Learn More.
- STRATA + Hadoop World 2014 NYC Report - Nov 5, 2014.
Strata + Hadoop World this year included workshops on subjects like Spark, R, and Python, interesting keynotes, and impressive detailed technical talks on subjects on Hadoop and new trends in big data.
- More Data Mining with Weka - Nov 5, 2014.
Explore deeper tools and techniques using Weka in More Data Mining with Weka, a followup course to Data Mining with Weka, provided by University of Waikato.
- KDnuggets 14:n29, Big Data Winter ahead? Wikibon Big Data takeaways; LIONoso - Nov 5, 2014.
Big Data Winter ahead - unless we change course; Wikibon Big Data Capital Markets Day key takeaways; DrivenData: Data Science Competitions for Social Good, and more analytics, big data, data mining, and data science stories.
- PAW San Francisco – Four Co-located Analytics Events, March 2015 - Nov 4, 2014.
Attend the leading, world-renown events in predictive analytics and text analytics in San Francisco, Spring 2015, and build your skillset and knowledge. Register with Super Early Bird Pricing and KDnuggets discount.
- Course: Practical Machine Learning for Engineers, New York, Nov 10-12 - Nov 4, 2014.
Learn the fundamental concepts of machine learning by working on a dataset of moderate size, using open source software tools. Special KDnuggets discount.
- Top stories in October: Ebola Analytics and Data Science Lessons; Will Deep Learning take over Machine Learning? - Nov 4, 2014.
Ebola Analytics and Data Science Lessons; Will Deep Learning take over Machine Learning, make other algorithms obsolete?; DM Radio: Predictive Tools Are Pervasive, with KDnuggets; Mirador, a free tool for visual exploration.
- Comprehensive Data Science Training by Salford Systems, Dec 3-5, Online or San Diego - Nov 4, 2014.
Learn the basics tree-structured data mining with CART, and progress to more advanced topics including Linear, Logistic, Nonlinear, Regularized, Lasso, MARS, TreeNet (Stochastic Gradient Boosting) and RandomForests(r), including Latest Refinements and Model Compression.
- DrivenData: Data Science Competitions for Social Good - Nov 4, 2014.
DrivenData plans to bring cutting-edge practices in data science and crowdsourcing to some of the world's biggest social challenges and the organizations taking them on.
- Forrester Research: It’s Time For A User-Driven Enterprise BI Strategy - Nov 4, 2014.
This report deconstructs the inherent conflict between IT and business users and presents an innovative action plan that gets both sides aligned in order to win, serve, and retain customers. Download free report.
- Upcoming Nov – May Meetings in Analytics, Big Data, Mining, Data Science - Nov 3, 2014.
Coming soon: Text Analytics West, Data Analytics Week, H2O World, LT-Accelerate, ICDM, INFORMS, EGC, IKDD, PAW San Francisco, PAW for Workforce, and more.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – Nov 4 and beyond - Nov 3, 2014.
Hadoop, Real-time processing, Sentiment Analysis, Telling a Story with Data, Data Mining - Failure to Launch, and more.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Oct 31 – Nov 2: Nate Silver on 3 Keys to Great Information Design - Nov 3, 2014.
Best Infographics of the Year: Nate Silver on 3 Keys to Great Information Design; The invention of the Equals Sign jump-started math; A Great Collection of Machine Learning Algorithms; LinkedIn breaking up its data science team.
- LIONoso, a non-profit tool for Machine Learning and Intelligent Optimization - Nov 3, 2014.
LIONoso 2.1, developed by LIONlab for non-profit research and academic use, offers flexible training and experimentation for researchers who know what they are doing and want freedom in their ML experimentation.
- Additions to KDnuggets Directory in October - Nov 3, 2014.
17 new meetings including MLConf, H2O World, Deep Learning Innovation Summit, BigDataWeek; Analytics tools from InfoCaptor, analytixBASE, Wizard, uxColor, and more.
- Top stories for Oct 26 – Nov 1: Will Deep Learning take over Machine Learning? - Nov 2, 2014.
Will Deep Learning take over Machine Learning, make other algorithms obsolete? Cartoon: Halloween Costume for Big Data; CRISP-DM, still the top methodology for analytics, data mining, or data science projects; Big Data accelerates medical research? Or not?
- BigData TechCon San Francisco Report: Focus on Spark - Nov 1, 2014.
BigData TechCon SF 2014 covered a number of data technologies from the open source ecosystem through tutorials and classes. Spark and its libraries were a significant focus of the talks.
- Free Urban Data – What’s It Good For? - Nov 1, 2014.
See how the increasing availability of free urban datasets that has come with more cities participating in free data programs can be applied to solve interesting problems in this Big Data article.