2014 Dec News, Features
All (103) | Courses, Education (6) | Meetings (6) | News, Features (24) | Opinions, Interviews, Reports (32) | Publications (4) | Software (10) | Top Tweets (16) | Webcasts (5)
- Top stories for Dec 21-27: 2015 Predictions for big data and data science; The Big Data of Wearables - Dec 28, 2014.
2015 Predictions: What will happen to big data and data science?; The Big Data of Wearables; Open Source Tools for Machine Learning; FICO CAO sees a Post-Big Data World.
- BIME Business Intelligence Predictions for 2015 - Dec 26, 2014.
Business intelligence in 2015 will see greater social media involvement, data mining applications, health data analysis, data-driven drones, and BI in the cloud.
- Top stories for Dec 14-20: Most Demanded Data Science/Data Mining Skills; Watson Analytics vs. Azure Machine Learning - Dec 21, 2014.
Most Demanded Data Science and Data Mining Skills; IBM Watson Analytics vs. Microsoft Azure Machine Learning; Cartoon: Unexpected Data Science Recommendations; 16 NoSQL, NewSQL Databases To Watch.
- Consulting Request: Analyze Share Economy vertical - Dec 20, 2014.
Looking for a data scientist to help analyze mined data of several companies in the share economy vertical.
- Eric Siegel vs Stephen Hawking on the risk of artificial intelligence - Dec 19, 2014.
Eric Siegel comments on current controversy whether AI is a threat to human race, says AI is safe. Whether you agree or not, vote in KDnuggets Poll: Is AI a threat?
- Data Mining (and Statistical Analysis) is LinkedIn Hottest Skill in 2014 - Dec 18, 2014.
Data Mining was LinkedIn Hottest Skill in 2014, moving up from number 5 in 2013. Top locations for "data mining" skill were US, India, Australia, and Canada, while top companies were IBM, Microsoft, Google, and Accenture.
- Top KDnuggets Analytics, Big Data, Data Science stories in 2014 - Dec 16, 2014.
Top KDnuggets stories in 2014 had several themes - Deep Learning; Data Scientist career, education, and salary; Resources for learning Data Science, especially R and Python, and polls on popular languages for data science and data mining.
- Cartoon: Unexpected Data Science Recommendations - Dec 16, 2014.
New KDnuggets cartoon examines an unexpected shopping recommendation from Big Data and machine learning algorithms.
- Spatial Data Platform from SpaceCurve for Real-Time Operational Intelligence - Dec 16, 2014.
SpaceCurve Spatial Data Platform will deliver strong spatial and temporal analytics capabilities. SpaceCurve CEO Dane Coyer and CTO Andrew Rogers tell us more.
- National Data Science Bowl: Predict Ocean Health - Dec 16, 2014.
Enter the 1st ever National Data Science bowl, with 175K in prizes and build an algorithm to automate the plankton image identification across 100+ classes. Plankton are critically important to ecosystem, but traditional methods for measuring their populations are time consuming and cannot scale for large-scale studies.
- Most Demanded Data Science and Data Mining Skills - Dec 15, 2014.
Our analysis of most demanded data scientist skills shows that Data Science is a team effort focused on business analytics, with top 5 platform skills being SQL, Python, R, SAS, and Hadoop.
- Top stories for Dec 7-13: Where Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science is Applied; Neural Networks, Brain, and Machine Learning - Dec 14, 2014.
If programming languages were vehicles, what would be R, Python, SAS, and SQL?; Tableau Top 10 Trends in BI for 2015; Where Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science is applied; Geoff Hinton AMA: Neural Networks, the Brain, and Machine Learning.
- New Poll: Will Artificial Intelligence be a threat to Humanity? - Dec 12, 2014.
New KDnuggets Poll is asking - Will Artificial Intelligence be a threat to Humanity? Please vote if you are human.
- November 2014 Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining Acquisitions and Startups Activity - Dec 11, 2014.
November 2014 acquisitions, startups, and company activity in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science: Target buys Powered Analytics, Ve buys qunb, Sentient raises 100M+, Galvanize buys Zipfian Academy, Intel backs 16 startups.
- FICO Analytics Competition: Helping Santa Helpers - Dec 11, 2014.
FICO is sponsoring a Kaggle competition to optimize Santa's scheduling algorithm. Competitors can win in multiple categories and the best solution using FICO Xpress Optimization Suite will receive a special prize.
- Australia Analytics Professionals Skills and Salary Report - Dec 10, 2014.
The Institute of Analytics Professionals has published a report showing that in Australia data science recruitment is challenging, salaries are high, social analytics is hot, and there are business challenges that analysts face.
- Where Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science is applied - Dec 9, 2014.
CRM/Consumer analytics, Banking, and Health care are the most popular industries, but also joined by new sectors including Oil / Gas / Energy, Automotive, and HR/workforce analytics.
- Top stories for Nov 30 – Dec 6: Hinton on Deep Learning, Google and AI; Top 10 Big Data companies - Dec 7, 2014.
Geoff Hinton talks about Deep Learning, Google and Everything; Top 10 Big Data Companies by Revenue; Big Data Top Trends in 2015; Sisense 2015 predictions for BI, Big Data.
- Zicari: Big Data: A Data-Driven Society - Dec 6, 2014.
Roberto Zicari talk at Stanford reviews how Big Data is enabling a data-driven economy, examines 3 Big Data research challenges, and makes a case for Big Data for Social Good.
- SBP15 Grand Data Challenge - Dec 5, 2014.
Use social media analytics on public data to help analyze and explore social inequality and aid the disadvantaged in SBP15 Grand Data Challenge. Submissions due Jan 20.
- Research Challenge: 2015 ACM India SIGKDD Conference on Data Sciences - Dec 5, 2014.
For the 2015 ACM India SIGKDD challenge data scientists are tasked with using social media and traffic data in the form of text, images, and video to track traffic movement in an effort to improve traffic management. Jan 15 Deadline.
- Top stories in November: 9 Must-Have Skills for a Data Scientist; IBM Watson Analytics replacing a data scientist? - Dec 4, 2014.
9 Must-Have Skills You Need to Become a Data Scientist; IBM Watson Analytics - Will it Replace Data Scientists ? Update: Top LinkedIn Groups for Big Data, Data Mining, Data Science; R and Hadoop make Machine Learning Possible for Everyone.
- Top 10 Big Data Companies by Revenue - Dec 1, 2014.
IBM, HP, Dell, and SAP lead the list of Big Data companies with the most revenue from big data hardware, software, and IT services.
- Additions to KDnuggets Directory in November - Dec 1, 2014.
TDWI Orlando, Big Data Innovation Summit Las Vegas, Oracle BIWA Summit, Text Analytics World SF, and more meetings, education, and software in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science.