KDnuggets™ News 14:n03, Feb 5
Features (9) | Software (4) | Webcasts (2) | Courses, Events (9) | Meetings (3) | Jobs (9) | Academic (3) | Competitions (1) | Publications (7) | Tweets (7) | NewsBriefs (3) | CFP (14) | Quote
- Top Trends in Analytics and Big Data ahead of Strata 2014 Santa Clara ( comments) - Jan 28, 2014.Our survey ahead of Strata 2014 Conference revealed the top 3 trends in Analytics and Big Data for 2014: Analytics for the masses, Apache Spark, and Real Time Analytics. Read the interesting comments and details and get a KDnuggets discount for Strata.
- New Poll: Using Text Analytics - Feb 4, 2014.New KDnuggets Poll is asking: How much did you use text analytics / text mining in the past 12 months? Please vote on www.kdnuggets.com .
- Top stories in January: Tutorial: Data Science in Python; Learning from Data, Caltech free online course - Feb 4, 2014.Tutorial: Data Science in Python; Learning from Data: Caltech free online course, now with captions in 40 languages; Hadoop - Elephants in the Cloud; MADlib: Big Data Machine Learning in SQL; MassBigData.
- Viewpoint: Why your company should NOT use "Big Data" - Jan 27, 2014.Hardcore analytics (and Big Data) can add value, but only marginally and only for companies that have already mastered using the data they already have. The "obvious" information from your own data can get you 90%+ of the total impact, so start there. The hard part is executing the basic insights across the organization.
- PAW: Learn How to Predict Influence with Uplift Modeling at PAW San Francisco, Mar 16-21 - Feb 3, 2014.Uplift modeling is the hot analytical method to predict influence, and its adoption is rapidly growing. Learn if uplift modeling is for you, the required expertise, analytical complexity, and the latest state of the art at Predictive Analytics World San Francisco, Mar 16-21.
- Cartoon: Watson and Artificial vs Natural Intelligence ( comments) - Jan 24, 2014.New KDnuggets cartoon looks at Watson and compares Artificial and Natural Thinking.
- Top stories for Jan 26 - Feb 1: Online Courses in Analytics, ML, Data Science; Top Trends in Analytics, Big Data - Feb 2, 2014.Online Courses in Predictive Analytics, Machine Learning, Data Science; Top Trends in Analytics and Big Data ahead of Strata 2014 Santa Clara; Viewpoint: Why your company should NOT use "Big Data"; "Human Analytics" at the Sentiment Analysis Symposium.
- Top stories for Jan 19-25: Learning from Data free online course; MassBigData; Split on Data Science Skills - Jan 27, 2014.Tutorial: Data Science in Python; Learning from Data: Caltech free online course; MassBigData to boost Massachusetts Big Data, Analytics Ecosystem; Split on Data Science Skills: Individual vs Team approach.
- Additions to KDnuggets Directory in January - Feb 1, 2014.dotplot, Linkurious, Gray Matter Analytics, Flutura, new Data Science education options, new companies, datasets, meetings, publications, software, solutions, and websites.
- CMSR Data Miner and Rule-Engine Software Suite - free academic use - Feb 4, 2014.CMSR - Cramer Modeling, Segmentation and Rules - is data miner and rule-engine suite having rule-engines as a unique feature. Rule-engines provide rule-based predictive model evaluation.
- AltaPlana 2014 Text Analytics Market Study - Jan 31, 2014..KDnuggets, a media sponsor of a 2014 text-analytics market study conducted by leading industry analyst Seth Grimes, invites all text analytics users to take part in this survey. Please respond by Feb 21.
- Statwing, Modern Data Analysis Software - Jan 30, 2014..Every decision maker in the organization needs to be capable of analyzing data, but most tools require a lot of mundane and time-consuming data cleaning. Statwing solves that problem and lets you focus on data analysis.
- Linkurious: Explore and Visualize Graph Data - Jan 22, 2014.Linkurious is designed to handle big data and be easy to use; it is focused on local exploration - search any information within a graph and start exploring the connections from this point.
- Webinar, Feb 18: Fine-tune your analytics strategy for 2014 - Feb 4, 2014.Join analytics experts from Johnson and Johnson, InterContinental Hotels, and HP on Feb 18 to fine-tune your analytics strategy.
- Building Better Modes - Case studies in Predictive Analysis - JMP Webcasts - Jan 27, 2014.The five-part on-demand series shows how to build better and more useful models with modern predictive modeling techniques such as regression, neural networks and decision trees.
- Online Courses in Predictive Analytics, Machine Learning, Data Science Statistics.com - Jan 24, 2014.Many interesting online courses covering Decision Trees, Machine Learning Tools, Python for Analytics, Social Network Analysis, Hadoop, Forecasting, Data Visualization, and more, from Statistics.com.
- Learn to identify complex and dynamic relationships in multi-level data - Feb 4, 2014.This advanced class provides a conceptual understanding of multilevel linear models (MLM) and multilevel generalized linear models (MGLM).
- Open Analytics Chicago Summit, March 27 - Jan 31, 2014.This summit is a great place for CTOs, CMOs, Engineers, Developers, Brand Managers, Data Scientists, and more to network and learn about open source technologies and big data analytics.
- IE Master in Business Analytics and Big Data, Madrid - Jan 30, 2014.IE in Madrid, one of the top Business Schools in the world, designed the 10-months Master in Business Analytics and Big Data degree for people who studied or are working in technology, do quantitative work in engineering, statistics or business.
- "Human Analytics" at the Sentiment Analysis Symposium, March 5-6 (KDnuggets discount) - Jan 29, 2014.Understand the business value in "human data" - emotion, intent, connection - in online, social, and enterprise sources via text, speech, video and social-network analytics. Early bird till Jan 31 + KDnuggets discount.
- More Data Mining with Weka - Jan 30, 2014.This online course teaches both principles and practical data mining techniques, lets students work on very big datasets, classify text, experiment with clustering, and much more.
- Data Mining for Beginners Boot Camp, Salford video series - Jan 29, 2014.This series shows how to easily apply SPM software suite to your predictive modeling projects, using a modern banking application as an example. This series is at the beginner level, and is perfect for first-time users or for those who need a refresher course in model building and data analysis.
- SLDM Statistical Learning and Data Mining III, Palo Alto, Mar 20-21 - Jan 23, 2014.Taught by top Stanford professors and leading statisticians Trevor Hastie and Robert Tibshirani, this course presents 10 hot ideas for learning from data, and gives a detailed overview of statistical models for data mining, inference and prediction.
- Northwestern Online MS in Predictive Analytics - Jan 23, 2014.Build in-demand skills for the growing analytics field, prepare for leadership opportunities, and learn from distinguished faculty and industry experts.
- useR 2014: attend, sponsor R Analytics and Data Science conference - Feb 1, 2014.Open invitation to attend and sponsor the main annual event of the R community, the useR! conference to be held in Los Angeles on Jul 1-3.
- INFORMS Conference on The Business of Big Data, San Jose, June 22-24 - Feb 4, 2014.The new INFORMS conference would help Analytics Professionals and Operations Researchers to get from data discovery to real business value. Sign up now at the early rates.
- Feb-May Meetings in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science - Feb 3, 2014.Upcoming meetings include Strata Santa Clara, Data Science/Hadoop/Predictive Analytics Innovation Summits, PAW San Francisco, WSDM-2014, iKDD in India, Open Analytics Chicago, INFORMS Boston, and much more.
- Credit Card Risk Analyst II at Kohl's Department Store- Credit Division, Dallas, TX - Feb 3, 2014.Analyze portfolio risk of the Kohls charge product, develop and implement strategies that enhance revenues and mitigate losses for the portfolio.
- Data Mining Analyst at WIL, Toronto, Canada - Jan 30, 2014.Waterfront International, Toronto-based quantitative finance research firm, seeks a talented analyst to help develop computer based statistical trading strategies.
- Data Mining Analyst at Stevens Capital Management LP, Radnor, PA - Jan 30, 2014.Stevens Capital Management LP, a large hedge fund, seeks talented and motivated data mining analyst to find patterns and insight in financial market data and develop predictive models.
- R2: Data Scientist - Jan 30, 2014..Looking for a data scientist with the curiosity to derive new insights from data and the drive to deliver that insight into production, to help our clients to transform their practice in the industry.
- Statistician/Predictive Modeler - Direct Marketing at Alliant, Westchester, NY - Jan 29, 2014.The ideal candidate will have a wide-range of experience building and presenting regression models in digital and offline direct response environments.
- C++ Senior Developer and Architect, Maps at Apple, Cupertino, CA - Jan 27, 2014.Ideal candidate would have experience with system architecture, as well as the design, implementation, and testing of individual components but also be comfortable with multiple scripting languages.
- Data Analyst, BI Group at JCA, Inc, New York, NY - Jan 26, 2014.Lead and support data-backed, results-based strategic decision making for our clients, by using our BI tool JCA Answers, by providing organization-wide BI consulting, and through our data mining and predictive modeling offerings.
- Applied Data Scientist, Machine Learning and Data Science at Globys, Seattle, WA - Jan 23, 2014.This is Data Science experience of a lifetime - implement (mainly in Python) machine learning and complex data analytics on massive datasets for real-time marketing.
- Marketing Data Scientist at IXI Services, a division of Equifax, McLean, VA - Jan 22, 2014.Part of Strategic Analytic Solutions group, support research and development of innovative analytical solutions using econometric and statistical methodologies and techniques.
- NYU Center for Data Science: Moore-Sloan Data Science Fellows - Jan 30, 2014.Fellows are expected to lead independent, original research programs with impact in natural or social science and in one or more domains (computer science, statistics, and applied mathematics). Apply by Feb 6.
- U. Virginia: MS / PhD positions in Machine Learning, Data Science - Jan 28, 2014..MS and PhD positions for people with a strong background and interest in machine learning, modeling, and data science.
- USherbrooke: Post-doctoral researcher in informatics of aging - Jan 28, 2014.The Aging Research Center, a multi-disciplinary center with many large, unique data sets, seeking a postdoc who can facilitate collaborations among researchers with diverse interests.
- ACM SIGSPATIAL Cup 2014, GIS-focused algorithm competition - Jan 30, 2014.This contest will focus on the important problem of map generalization, a commonly used concept in creating maps of different scales.
- Viewpoint: Statistical Data Science, The Data Analysis Side - Feb 4, 2014..There is no way a term like 'Data Science' be interpreted without including data analysis and statistics. The statistics toolbox is a large irreplaceable part of the lingua franca of science.
- Determining the Value of Insights - Jan 30, 2014..With the value of Consumer Insights being questioned to justify ROI, the Market Research professionals need to figure out ways to quantify the value of those insights. Determining the value of insights is no easy task and requires focus on three key components.
- 10 New Year resolutions for CIOs who want to take the Big Data plunge in 2014 - Jan 28, 2014.The Big Data hype is everywhere, but many CIOs aren’t sure how to take their first steps toward adopting Big Data. Here are 10 New Year’s resolutions for CIOs who want to take the Big Data plunge in 2014.
- Using Data Mining to Predict the Winter Olympics Medal Counts in Sochi - Jan 25, 2014.Could data mining techniques accurately predict the medal counts at the Olympics? A predictive model could give us an estimate of the number of medals each nation might win; but how close could we get to the actual outcomes? It was a tantalizing project.
- To Fit or Not to Fit Data to a Model - Jan 23, 2014.What if Shakespeare was a data scientist? Today's big data necessitates - Let the data define the model.
- Big Data for Business Managers - Jan 23, 2014.Why do Big Data projects fail to deliver the promised value, that too despite the "clearly" established potential? What should business managers do to avoid the media hype and focus on achieving sustainable benefits from big data investments?
- New Book on Realtime Analytics and Recommendation Engines - Jan 23, 2014.The book covers realtime analytics and its application to recommendation engines from a control-theoretic perspective.
Top KDnuggets Tweets
- In January: Data Science Venn Diagram v2.0: "unicorns"; Great map of #DataScience skills
- Jan 31 - Feb 2: Free books on statistical learning; Intro: Machine Learning and Apache Mahout
- Jan 29-30: Visual.ly Data Visualization Catalog; 100 numpy exercises, from Novice to Expert Data Scientists
- Jan 27-28: Dilbert takes on #BigData Analysis and Salaries; Free Tutorial, Data Analytics for Beginners
- Jan 24-26: Great map of #DataScience skills; Online Courses in Predictive Analytics, ML
- Jan 22-23: 30 Free Data Mining Tools; Linkurious - explore and visualize graph data
- Jan 20-21: Data scientists who use OS tools earn more; JHU #DataScience Specialization
- January Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining companies and startups activity - Feb 3, 2014.January 2014 acquisitions, startups, and company activity in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science: Avigilon, TaKaDu, Nest, Path, EagleView, FirstFuel, API Healthcare, Kana Software, ImgUR, IMS Health.
- SAS surpasses 3 billion in 2013 revenue - Jan 27, 2014.The growth reflects strong sales of SAS Visual Analytics, anti-fraud solutions (44%), cloud computing (20%), data management and certain industry-specific applications (16-18%). For every one of its 38 years, SAS has grown revenue and shown a profit.
- Clustify 4.0 adds Real-Time Predictive Coding - Jan 22, 2014.Clustify updates the predicted relevance scores for the entire document population each time a document is categorized, showing the impact on the progress pie and the precision-recall curve instantly.
CFP - Calls for Papers
- BioNLP-ST: Special issue of BMC Bioinformatics on BioNLP Shared Task 2013, due Feb 3
- CaRR 2014: 4th Workshop on Context-awareness in Retrieval and Recommendation, due Feb 10
- KDD-2014 IG: 20th ACM SIGKDD Conf. on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, Industry/Government track, due Feb 13
- KDD-2014: 20th ACM SIGKDD Conf. on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, due Feb 13
- PAW-GOV: PREDICTIVE ANALYTICS WORLD GOVERNMENT , due Feb 21
- KDD-2014 T: KDD 2014 Tutorials, due Mar 1
- KDD-2014 W: KDD 2014 Workshops, due Mar 7
- PAW Boston: Predictive Analytics World, due Mar 14
- PAW HEALTHCARE: Predictive Analytics World for Healthcare, due Mar 14
- DATA ANALYTICS 2014: The Third Int. Conf. on Data Analytics, Call for papers, tutorials, panels, due Mar 28
- OR2014: Int. Conf. on Operations Research, Business Analytics and Optimization, due Apr 30
- ASE-BigDataScience : The Third ASE Int. Conf. on Big Data Science and Computing, due Apr 30
- PAW BERLIN: Predictive Analytics World Berlin, due May 4
- PAW LONDON: Predictive Analytics World London, due May 31