KDnuggets™ News 14:n35, Dec 29
Features | Software | Opinions | Interviews | News | Courses | Meetings | Jobs | Academic | Tweets | CFP | Quote
- 2015 Predictions: What will happen to big data and data science? - Dec 21, 2014.
What's next in the world of big data? Commonplace terms begin to vanish as businesses put an increased emphasis on the predictive and prescriptive analytics needed to drive value.
- Data Mining (and Statistical Analysis) is LinkedIn Hottest Skill in 2014 - Dec 18, 2014.
Data Mining was LinkedIn Hottest Skill in 2014, moving up from number 5 in 2013. Top locations for "data mining" skill were US, India, Australia, and Canada, while top companies were IBM, Microsoft, Google, and Accenture.
- Open Source Tools for Machine Learning - Dec 17, 2014.
Open source machine learning software makes it easier to implement machine learning solutions on single computers and at scale, and the diversity of packages provide more options for implementers.
- The Big Data of Wearables - Dec 23, 2014.
Wearables are becoming more common, creating real-time demands on the data-driven systems behind them for applications like forecasting and recommender systems.
- Eric Siegel vs Stephen Hawking on the risk of artificial intelligence - Dec 19, 2014.
Eric Siegel comments on current controversy whether AI is a threat to human race, says AI is safe. Whether you agree or not, vote in KDnuggets Poll: Is AI a threat?
Software (see also All Software )
- BabelNet 3.0, Large Multilingual Dictionary and Semantic Network - Dec 20, 2014.
BabelNet 3.0 covers 271 languages, and offers brand-new user interface, Improved accuracy of seamless integration of WordNet, Open Multilingual WordNet, Wikipedia, OmegaWiki, Wikidata and Wiktionary, around 2 billion RDF triples available via a public SPARQL endpoint.
- New RapidMiner Streams Simplifies Analytics on Apache Storm - Dec 17, 2014.
Streaming RapidMiner product accompanies additional releases of core platform which now include Qlik, Solr, and Mozenda connectors.
Opinions (see also All Opinions, Interviews for this month )
- Hot or Not: Data Science Trends in 2015 - Dec 24, 2014.
CrowdFlower infographic predicts the hot trends for data science in 2015 and which trends will fade away.
- FICO Chief Analytics Officer Sees a Post-Big Data World in 2015 - Dec 21, 2014.
Predictive analytics and the Big Data that fuels it become deeply and broadly embedded in business and society – no longer a phenomenon but widely accepted as part of the foundation. Here are a few of his predictions for the coming year.
- Stanford's AI100: Century-Long Study on Effects of Artificial Intelligence on Human Life - Dec 26, 2014.
Stanford unveils new 100 year study on the impact of artificial intelligence, particularly on democracy, privacy, the military. Surprisingly, perspectives from outside the AI community are absent from the initial panel.
- "Vite fait, bien fait" - Averaging improves both accuracy and speed of time series classification - Dec 21, 2014.
Time series classification using k-nearest neighbors and dynamic time warping can be improved in many practical applications in both speed and accuracy using averaging.
- DIY Crawlers vs. Crawlers as Service - Dec 22, 2014.
Crawling structured data from the web has been made easier with the choice between crawlers as a service, like webhose.io, and do-it-yourself, like import.io.
Interviews (see also All Opinions, Interviews for this month )
- Interview: Mac Devine, CTO, IBM Cloud on the Conflux of Cloud, IoT & Big Data - Dec 26, 2014.
We discuss the implications of Cloud Speed of technological advancement, significant trends in Internet of Things (IoT), future of cloud computing and more.
- Interview: Mac Devine, CTO, IBM Cloud on the Fast Approaching Perfect Storm - Dec 24, 2014.
We discuss why we should anticipate a technology perfect storm soon, Enterprise IT challenges, distinct capabilities of IBM BlueMix and more.
- Interview: Peter Alvaro, UC Berkeley, on Managing Asynchrony and Partial Failure - Dec 18, 2014.
We discuss the challenges in simultaneously managing asynchrony and partial failure, the problem of composition, research motivation, trends and more.
- Interview: Peter Alvaro, UC Berkeley, on Consistency Challenge in Distributed Systems - Dec 17, 2014.
We discuss the performance limitations caused by treating datastore as black box, consistency as an application-level property, Dedalus and LDFI approach for testing.
- Interview: Brian Hampton, SF 49ers on Competitive Edge through Football Analytics - Dec 20, 2014.
We discuss the shortcomings of football analytics, how San Francisco 49ers use analytics, future of football analytics, advice and more.
- Interview: Brian Hampton, San Francisco 49ers on Playing Football the Analytics Way - Dec 19, 2014.
We discuss the role of analytics in football, the underrated challenges, evolution since the era of draft trade value chart and analytics-supported team selection.
News (see also All News )
- Top stories for Dec 21-27: 2015 Predictions for big data and data science; The Big Data of Wearables - Dec 28, 2014.
2015 Predictions: What will happen to big data and data science?; The Big Data of Wearables; Open Source Tools for Machine Learning; FICO CAO sees a Post-Big Data World.
- BIME Business Intelligence Predictions for 2015 - Dec 26, 2014.
Business intelligence in 2015 will see greater social media involvement, data mining applications, health data analysis, data-driven drones, and BI in the cloud.
- Top stories for Dec 14-20: Most Demanded Data Science/Data Mining Skills; Watson Analytics vs. Azure Machine Learning - Dec 21, 2014.
Most Demanded Data Science and Data Mining Skills; IBM Watson Analytics vs. Microsoft Azure Machine Learning; Cartoon: Unexpected Data Science Recommendations; 16 NoSQL, NewSQL Databases To Watch.
- Consulting Request: Analyze Share Economy vertical - Dec 20, 2014.
Looking for a data scientist to help analyze mined data of several companies in the share economy vertical.
Courses (see also All Courses )
- Low-cost Salford Hands-On Data Mining Mini Training, Jan 23, Phoenix - Dec 24, 2014.
Attend this training and you will walk away with the models you create, ready to start your own data mining projects.
Meetings (see also All Meetings )
- KDD-2015 Call for Papers, Workshop Proposals - Dec 23, 2014.
KDD-2015, the premier research conference on Data Mining and Data Science, invites submissions of research papers, practice track papers, workshop proposals.
- UIC Big Data Symposium, Chicago, Mar 17, 2015 - Dec 22, 2014.
Chicago will host a BIG Data Symposium, focusing on the innovative ways of solving business challenges with BIG Data, Emerging Capabilities, Social Network Analytics and Visual Analytics.
- Data Analytics for Government, Wash. DC, Feb 23-25: Keynotes - Dec 18, 2014.
The DAW for Government team is proud to announce keynote speakers: Hemanth Setty (CIO, Recovery Accountability and Transparency Board) and Kenneth Nesbit, Associate CIO, US Treasury.
Jobs (see also All Jobs )
- New York Community Bank: Sr. Stress Testing Quantitative Risk Modeler - Dec 19, 2014.
Provide risk management and measurement services in the areas of credit risk, market risk, liquidity risk, operational risk and model risk.
- Schwab: Sr. Manager - Business Strategy and Analytics (Deposit Products) - Dec 17, 2014.
Join a small team of quant strategists focused on deposit products, create strategies and models involving billions of dollars in deposits.
Academic and Research positions (see also All Academic positions )
- U. Tartu: Professor of Data Management and Analytics - Dec 19, 2014.
U. of Tartu, the highest ranked university in the Baltic States, invites applications from outstanding academics for a full-time permanent position of Professor of Data Management and Analytics.
Top Tweets (see also All top tweets for this month )
- Year in Review: Top KDnuggets tweets in November - Dec 27, 2014.
P-values, the "gold standards" of statistical validity, are not as reliable;
Nate Silver on 3 Keys to Great Information Design;
Keep this #Python Cheat Sheet handy when learning to code;
8 Steps to Becoming a #DataScientist.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Dec 24-25 - Dec 26, 2014.
Pregnant women can intuit the sex of their children;
#Pig and #Python can't fly but can predict Airline delays;
24 #DataScience, #Statistics, #MachineLearning Resources;
The 50 Most Innovative CS Depts in USA.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Dec 22-23 - Dec 24, 2014.
Review of #MOOC Learning from Data (#MachineLearning) - the class that changed everything;
#DeepLearning is like Renormalization: deep link between physics, biology, ML;
Great list: 20 new #data #viz tools of 2014;
"Back to the drawing board" - first appeared in New Yorker cartoon in 1941.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Dec 15-21 - Dec 22, 2014.
KDnuggets Cartoon: Unexpected #MachineLearning Recommendations for holidays;
Review: #DataScience at the Command Line - great book;
4 questions that reveal whether you have the hottest job skill of 2014;
Why #Amazon Ratings Might Mislead You: Herding Effects.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Dec 17-18 - Dec 19, 2014.
Why #Amazon Ratings Might Mislead You: The Story of Herding Effects;
Open Source Tools for Machine Learning;
#DeepLearning Intelligence Platform - Addressing AML #Terrorism #Financing;
#NIPS2014 #MachineLearning Trends: Rapid progress in #DeepLearning.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Dec 15-16 - Dec 17, 2014.
KDnuggets Cartoon: Unexpected Machine Learning Recommendations;
Review: #DataScience at the Command Line - great book;
Most Demanded Data Science and Data Mining Skills;
The problem is that many ML researchers are not working on on most impactful areas.
CFP - Calls for Papers (see also All Calls for Papers )
- Due Jan 12, SDM'15 WORKSHOPS: SIAM Int. Conf. on Data Mining Workshops , Vancouver, BC, Canada
- Due Feb 6, Int. Conf. on Machine Learning (ICML) , Lille, France, July 6-11, 2015
- Due Feb 20, 21th ACM SIGKDD Conf. on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (KDD 2015) , Sydney, Australia. Aug 10-13, 2015.
- Due Mar 6, KDD-2015 Workshop proposals for 21th ACM SIGKDD Conf. on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining , Sydney, Australia. Aug 10-13, 2015.