All (120) | Courses, Education (14) | Meetings (14) | News, Features (21) | Opinions, Interviews, Reports (46) | Publications (2) | Software (4) | Top Tweets (13) | Webcasts (6)
- Big Data Could Revolutionize Healthcare. Will We Let it? - Jan 31, 2015.
The power to access and analyze enormous data sets can improve our ability to anticipate and treat illnesses. The benefits for society are just too great, and they won’t be ignored for long.
- Interview: Anthony Bak, Ayasdi on How to Get Started on Topology - Jan 30, 2015.
We discuss the best resources to learn Topology, career motivation, important qualities sought in data scientists and more.
- Why unsupervised learning is more robust to adversarial distortions - Jan 30, 2015.
Yoshua Bengio, a leading expert on Deep Learning, explains why good unsupervised learning should be much more robust to adversarial distortions than supervised learning.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jan 28-29: Top open source web crawlers for data mining; Listen to Edward Tufte, guru of Data Visualization - Jan 30, 2015.
Useful list: Top 50 open source web #crawlers for data mining; Listen to Edward Tufte, guru of Data #Visualization, on how to see data; Not too sexy: Data Scientist is only n. 9 in Glassdoor 10 best jobs; When not analyzing #BigData, I am enjoying the Big Snow.
- BioEye 2015 – Competition on Biometrics via Eye Movements - Jan 30, 2015.
The BioEye 2015 competition is giving an opportunity to scientists and researchers to use a large, high quality database of eye movements and advance the field of eye movement biometrics.
- Interview: Anthony Bak, Ayasdi on Novel Insights using Topological Summaries - Jan 29, 2015.
We discuss examples of Topological Data Analysis (TDA) revealing new insights, recommended approach for creating Topological Summaries, Manual vs Automation approach and trends.
- Year 2014 in Review as Seen by a Event Detection System - Jan 29, 2015.
We examine the significant events of 2014 found by event/trend detection tool Signi-Trend, including Sochi, Ukraine and Russia, Malaysian airlines, and Islamic State (ISIS).
- Data Science 102: K-means clustering is not a free lunch - Jan 29, 2015.
K-means is a widely used method in cluster analysis, but what are its underlying assumptions and drawbacks? We examine what happens for non-spherical data and unevenly sized clusters.
- Webinar: The Pragmatic Text Miner, Feb 11 - Jan 29, 2015.
Learn about text mining of biomedical literature, challenges in building large collections, and how bioinformatics professionals can overcome those challenges.
- Don’t Miss Strata Hadoop World, San Jose, Feb 17-20, 2015 - Jan 29, 2015.
Strata + Hadoop World will be San Jose, Feb 17-20, and if you don't act fast, you may miss it. New venue, 250 speakers, In-person AMA, great events lineup. Special KDnuggets discount.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jan 26-27: Sample Machine Learning solutions with R on Azure ML Marketplace - Jan 28, 2015.
Sample #MachineLearning solutions with R on #Azure ML Marketplace; xkcd explains P-Values: from Highly Significant to cr*p; Why you should learn R first for #datascience; Useful: 14 Data #Visualization Tools to Tell Better Stories.
- Interview: Anthony Bak, Ayasdi on Managing Data Complexity through Topology - Jan 28, 2015.
We discuss the definition of Topology, its relevance to Big Data and compare Topological Data Analysis (TDA) with other approaches.
- KDnuggets Free Pass to Strata Hadoop World San Jose, Feb 17-20, 2015 - Jan 27, 2015.
Strata + Hadoop World San Jose gathers the leading minds in Big Data, both decision makers and practitioners. See how to win a free KDnuggets 2-day pass.
- Interview: Nandu Jayakumar, Yahoo on What Does One Need for Big Data Success - Jan 27, 2015.
We discuss Yahoo’s contributions to Big Data ecosystem, recommendation to Big Data vendors, predictions for Big Data, advice, and more.
- PAW: Predictive Analytics World and Text Analytics World, Spring 2015, San Francisco - Jan 27, 2015.
Come to the leading, world-renowned events in predictive analytics and text analytics - coming to San Francisco this spring - and build your skillset and knowledge. Special KDnuggets discount.
- GoodData Insights as a Service guides users thru the analytics process - Jan 27, 2015.
GoodData launches Insights Network that goes beyond BI and gives uses recommendations that guide them through the analytics process. I ask them about it.
- CIOs name BI and analytics No. 1 investment priority for 2015 - Jan 27, 2015.
Join us at Gartner BI and Analytics Summit 2015, Mar 30 - Apr 1, in Las Vegas, and learn the business impact of advanced analytics and big data to make the right investments for success in the digital age.
- KDD-2015 Call for Papers, Workshop proposals - Jan 26, 2015.
ACM SIGKDD Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining(KDD) 2015 will be held in Sydney, Australia during August 10-13, 2015. KDD invites submissions of research papers, practice track papers, workshop proposals.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – Jan 27 and beyond - Jan 26, 2015.
Tamr, Cognizant Machine and Devices, In-Memory Data Fabric, Real-Estate Analytics, RapidMiner, Analytics/Data Science Hiring Market, Platfora, TIBCO, Monetizing Big Data and more.
- Interview: Nandu Jayakumar, Yahoo on How Yahoo is Harnessing Big Data - Jan 26, 2015.
We discuss the major Big Data uses cases at Yahoo, major challenges, trends in enterprise Big Data implementations, and advantages of using Spark.
- (Deep Learning’s Deep Flaws)’s Deep Flaws - Jan 26, 2015.
Recent press has challenged the hype surrounding deep learning, trumpeting several findings which expose shortcomings of current algorithms. However, many of deep learning's reported flaws are universal, affecting nearly all machine learning algorithms.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jan 19-25: Facebook open sources its Deep Learning tools; Intro to Python and IPython for Data Mining - Jan 26, 2015.
Very useful: Intro to #Python and #IPython for #DataMining; Chart Type #CheatSheet: The Guide to Chart Design; Optimizing optimization algorithms; How to Choose between learning #Python or R? You can't go wrong.
- Top /r/MachineLearning posts, Jan 18-24: K-means clustering is not a free lunch; A Deep Dive into Recurrent Neural Nets - Jan 26, 2015.
Textbook Easter Eggs, issues with k-means, recurrent neural networks, genetic algorithm challenges, and the implementation of machine learning pipelines are all in this week's top /r/MachineLearning posts.
- simplilearn Big Data & Analytics Certification Courses Online, 30% off till Jan 31 - Jan 26, 2015.
Use Coupon code - JAN30A to save 30% off on all online self learning Big Data and Analytics courses, including Analytics, Hadoop, R, and SAS. Valid till Jan 31.
- MLDAS 2015: Machine Learning and Data Analytics Symposium – Qatar, Mar 9-10 - Jan 26, 2015.
MLDAS is a forum for machine learning and data analytics researchers and practitioners from academia, industry, and government to share their ideas, research results and experiences. Travel support for paper authors available.
- Top stories for Jan 18-24: Basics of Deep Learning to Get You Started; Top SlideShare Presentations on Big Data, updated - Jan 25, 2015.
Arno Candel on the Basics of Deep Learning to Get You Started; Top SlideShare Presentations on Big Data, updated; 15 Programming Languages to know in 2015; 8 Trends In Big Data For 2015.
- Interview: John Schitka, SAP on The Type of Data Scientists We Need - Jan 24, 2015.
We discuss the focus areas of Big Data strategy at SAP, how SAP is leading the competition, the kind of data scientists we need, advice and more.
- Microsoft buys Revolution Analytics - Jan 24, 2015.
Microsoft buys Revolution Analytics - I look at why this is both surprising and not.
- Text Analysis 101: Document Classification - Jan 24, 2015.
Document classification is an example of Machine Learning (ML) in the form of Natural Language Processing (NLP). By classifying text, we are aiming to assign one or more classes or categories to a document, making it easier to manage and sort.
- UDEL: Certificate in Analytics: Optimizing Big Data - Jan 23, 2015.
Understand why big data is so important in business decisions and sharpen your data management skills. Classes Feb 19 - May 28 in Wilmington, DE.
- Interview: John Schitka, SAP on How to Get Started with Big Data - Jan 23, 2015.
We discuss the current perceptions of Big Data, challenges for Big Data consumerization, dealing with the talent gap, and business strategy for Big Data.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jan 21-22: Palantir vs AirBnB – data mining to crack down on AirBnB hosts; AI program can beat almost any human in poker - Jan 23, 2015.
Palantir #datamining used by NYC to crack down on AirBnB hosts; #BigData 2015 Top Brands: @IBMBigData @BigDataExpo @CIOonline @WorldBank @Cloud; #Google #Dataflow pipeline tool can now run on #Spark; Cepheus #AI program can beat almost any human in #poker, even bluffs.
- Shining Light on Dark Data - Jan 23, 2015.
Dark Data is the ever-present, relatively unknown, and unmanaged volumes of data that exist in every corner of one’s business. Here’s what to do with it.
- BioASQ challenge on large-scale biomedical semantic indexing and question answering - Jan 23, 2015.
The BioASQ challenge has 2 tasks: large-scale biomedical semantic indexing (join in February) and biomedical semantic QA (join in March-April).
- Interview: Arno Candel, H2O.ai on the Journey from Physics to Machine Learning - Jan 22, 2015.
We discuss Arno’s career path, transition from Physics to Machine Learning, talent gap in Big Data, advice and more.
- Big Data Bootcamp, Austin, Apr 10-12 - Jan 22, 2015.
A fast paced, vendor agnostic, technical overview of the Big Data landscape targeted towards technical and business people who want to understand the emerging world of Big Data. Special KDnuggets discount.
- Innovation Enterprise Data Science and Hadoop Innovation Summits, San Diego, Feb 12-13 - Jan 22, 2015.
Join leading Data Scientists, Big Data and Hadoop professionals in San Diego to learn about the coming changes and challenges. Special KDnuggets discount.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jan 19-20: 15 programming languages you need to know in 2015; R Programming fun: writing a Twitter bot - Jan 21, 2015.
15 #programming languages you need to know in 2015; #Facebook open sources its cutting-edge #DeepLearning tools; Simple Pictures that State-of-the-Art #AI Can't Recognize (yet); R Programming fun: writing a Twitter bot.
- Metis Data Science Bootcamp Open House, New York City, Feb 3 - Jan 21, 2015.
Meet instructors, students and alumni of Metis Data Science Bootcamp, enjoy pizza and drinks as instructors walk you through a sampling of what students learn in 12 weeks.
- Interview: Arno Candel, H20.ai on How to Quick Start Deep Learning with H2O - Jan 21, 2015.
We discuss H2O use cases, resources to start using H2O for Deep Learning, evolution of High Performance Computing (HPC) and the future of HPC.
- Learn how to develop a Chief Data executive role, March 30-31, Boston - Jan 21, 2015.
This exclusive Forum is structured like an executive roundtable, with high-level industry experts leading think-tank discussions on the challenges and key solutions for implementing and developing a Chief Data executive role. Early reg by Jan 30.
- The High Cost of Maintaining Machine Learning Systems - Jan 21, 2015.
Google researchers warn of the massive ongoing costs for maintaining machine learning systems. We examine how to minimize the technical debt.
- Can noise help separate causation from correlation? - Jan 21, 2015.
How to tell correlation from causation is one of the key problems in data science and Big Data. New Additive Noise Models methods can do it with over 65% accuracy, opening new breakthrough possibilities.
- 8 Trends In Big Data For 2015 - Jan 21, 2015.
2015 trends include Non-Data Scientists, Real Time Big Data, Self Service Big Data, Shared Big Data, Big Data and IoT, Richer Data, More Big Data Geeks, and Creative Recruitment - read why.
- Interview: Arno Candel, H2O.ai on the Basics of Deep Learning to Get You Started - Jan 20, 2015.
We discuss how Deep Learning is different from the other methods of Machine Learning, unique characteristics and benefits of Deep Learning, and the key components of H2O architecture.
- RapidMiner Academia makes RapidMiner freely available to students, academics worldwide - Jan 20, 2015.
Students, professors and researchers can now use free of charge the latest version of RapidMiner platform for education and academic research.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – Jan 20 and beyond - Jan 19, 2015.
Get Started with Hadoop, R, Smarter Data Lake, Platfora, Data Modeling, Tamr, Real-Estate Value Analytics, RapidMiner Modern Analytics and more.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jan 12-18: Dilbert looks at #analytics of #dating and A/B testing; Deep Learning and Human Beings - Jan 19, 2015.
Dilbert looks at #analytics of #dating and A/B testing; A Deep Dive into Recurrent Neural Nets #DeepLearning; Great read: #Visualizing Representations: #DeepLearning and Human Beings; 9 Lessons: Picking the Right #NoSQL Tools.
- Genetics as a Social Network – A Data Scientist Perspective - Jan 19, 2015.
You can think about a cell’s genetics as a huge social network. We can then take the DNA sequences of the transcription factor footprints associated with each gene and predict the proteins bound to these regulatory regions, and in this way reconstruct the genetic regulatory networks in every cell type.
- Simple Data Science of Global Warming - Jan 19, 2015.
You don't have to be a climatologist to empirically confirm global warming. It is enough to have a computer, a reliable data set of historical temperatures, and software like R to do simple calculations.
- Top /r/MachineLearning posts, Jan 11-17 - Jan 18, 2015.
SVMs, open source datasets, Bayesian decision theory, game AI, and deep learning visualizations are all featured in the past week's top /r/MachineLearning posts.
- Top SlideShare Presentations on Big Data, updated - Jan 18, 2015.
REST APIs and crawling offer two different ways to gather big data presentations from SlideShare, but they provide different results and lead to a very different view of the data. We examine why and find a useful data science lesson.
- IE Masters in Analytics and Big Data – first hand report - Jan 18, 2015.
First hand report on Master in business analytics and big data program at IE (Madrid, Spain) - why, what, how, days, and challenges.
- Top stories for Jan 11-17: Research Leaders on Data Mining/Big Data key trends, top papers; Deep Learning in a Nutshell - Jan 18, 2015.
Research Leaders on Data Mining, Data Science, and Big Data key trends, top papers; Deep Learning in a Nutshell - what it is, how it works, why care?; Deep Learning can be easily fooled; Cartoon: Hello, Singularity.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jan 14-15: 10 FB likes predicts personality better than a co-worker; A Deep Dive into Recurrent Neural Nets - Jan 16, 2015.
A Deep Dive into Recurrent Neural Nets #DeepLearning; SOASTA announces #DataScience Workbench for insights from user experience; What's Wrong with this Picture? The Art of Honest Visualizations; Deep Learning can be easily fooled.
- Interview: Amit Sheth, Kno.e.sis on Designing Academic Curriculum for Data Science - Jan 16, 2015.
We discuss curriculum development around Data Science, trends in Big Data arena, qualities sought in students and more.
- DMA Marketing Analytics Conference, Chicago, Mar 9-11 - Jan 16, 2015.
DMA Marketing Analytics Conference features leading speakers from LinkedIn, IBM, Razorfish, Ford, Northwestern, Adobe, BCBS of North Carolina, The Weather Company, Starwood Hotels, and many more. Special KDnuggets discount.
- How to interview a data scientist - Jan 16, 2015.
Having spent the last year interviewing a large number of Data Scientists, I’ve developed a simple set of questions that help me to understand the what, the why and the how of what they do.
- Interview: Amit Sheth, Kno.e.sis on Deriving Actionable Insights from Social Data - Jan 15, 2015.
We discuss Twitris—a tool for collective social intelligence, challenges in using social data to get actionable insights during emergency situations, managing Data Variety, and entrepreneurship.
- ChaLearn Automatic Machine Learning Challenge (AutoML) - Jan 15, 2015.
Design the perfect machine learning “black box” capable of performing all model selection and hyper-parameter tuning without any human intervention. There is a prize pool of $30,000 donated by Microsoft if you are willing to make your code publicly available.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jan 12-13: Dilbert on analytics of #dating and A/B testing; Convolutional Neural Nets (LeNet) - Jan 14, 2015.
Dilbert looks at #analytics of #dating and A/B testing; 9 Lessons: Picking the Right #NoSQL Tools; How Google Will Know If You're Lying - with semantic search and #BigData; 10 Big Data Experts to Know.
- MetaMind Competes with IBM Watson Analytics and Microsoft Azure Machine Learning - Jan 14, 2015.
While Microsoft and IBM rush to bring data science and visualization to the masses, MetaMind follows another path, offering deep learning as a service.
- Interview: Amit Sheth, Kno.e.sis on Deriving Value from Big Data through Smart Data - Jan 14, 2015.
We discuss the definition of Smart Data, how to derive Smart Data from Big Data, maturity assessment for Smart Data pursuit, computing for human experience and Kno.e.sis.
- Deep Learning can be easily fooled - Jan 14, 2015.
It is almost impossible for human eyes to label the images below to be anything but abstract arts. However, researchers found that Deep Neural Network will label them to be familiar objects with 99.99% confidence. The generality of DNN is questioned again.
- CFP: Sentiment Analysis Symposium + Workshops 2015 - Jan 14, 2015.
The Sentiment Analysis Symposium is the first, biggest, and best conference to tackle the business value of sentiment, mood, opinion, and emotion. Register for 2015 symposium, please submit your proposal online by January 23.
- CFP: ACM Transactions on Knowledge Discovery from Data - Jan 14, 2015.
Transactions on Knowledge Discovery from Data (TKDD) welcomes papers on a full range of research in the knowledge discovery and analysis of diverse forms of data. Subjects include scalable and effective algorithms for data mining and big data analysis, mining brain networks, mining data streams and more.
- Open Data Science Conference Call for Speakers, Boston, May 30-31 - Jan 14, 2015.
Open Data Science Conference is focusing on applied data science featuring real world applications and looking for both technical and non-technical data-centric talks. Boston, May 30-31, 2015.
- TMA Predictive Analytics, Data Mining Training [Orlando, Feb | Las Vegas, May] - Jan 13, 2015.
Successful analytics in the big data era does not start with data and software, but with hands-on, immersive training and goal-driven strategy - get it from The Modeling Agency in Orlando (Feb), Las Vegas (Apr), or Washington DC (May).
- Info Kit: Statistics, Predictive Modeling and Data Mining with JMP - Jan 13, 2015.
Find out how to challenge assumptions, spot patterns and reveal potential solutions to problems that otherwise would not be visible. Register for this complimentary info kit.
- Wharton Online Course: Strategic Value of Customer Relationships - Jan 13, 2015.
During an 8-week online program (Mar 2 - Apr 26) taught by Wharton marketing professor Peter Fader, learn how to decipher the streams of customer data flowing into your company.
- Exclusive: Interview with Chris Wiggins, NYTimes Chief Data Scientist - Jan 13, 2015.
New York Times Chief Data Scientist Chris Wiggins on the transformation of digital journalism, key Data Science skills, favorite tools, why better wrong than nice, and how Thomas Jefferson is very relevant today.
- 10 Big Data Experts to Know - Jan 13, 2015.
High-power executives, experts, and entrepreneurs shape the future of the big data market, making them necessary knowledge for anyone in the know in the industry.
- Predictions: 2015 Analytics and Data Science Hiring Market - Jan 13, 2015.
Thanks to Big Data, analytics have become inescapable. Forget the C-Suite if you’re not a Data Geek, recruiting for startups gets harder, analytics salary bands get a lift, and more 2015 predictions.
- Lityx seeks to align with analytic individuals looking to have their own business - Jan 12, 2015.
Lityx Analytics Network seeks to bring together experienced analysts and provides the tools and support for them to run their own analytics business.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jan 5-11: Data Driven: Creating a Data Culture; Deep Learning in a Nutshell - Jan 12, 2015.
New book: Data Driven: Creating a Data Culture, by top #DataScience experts; #DeepLearning in a Nutshell: what it is, how does it work, and why; Programming languages popularity by US state; 4 ways to identify the best #data #tools.
- INFORMS Analytics and Data Science Education - Jan 12, 2015.
Upcoming INFORMS continuing education courses offer training in Essential Skills for Analytics Professionals, Data Exploration & Visualization, Modern Predictive Analytics, and Monte Carlo and Discrete-Event Simulation.
- Coursera / Stanford Mining Massive Datasets MOOC, Jan-Mar 2015 - Jan 12, 2015.
Don't miss! Top Stanford researchers teach efficient and scalable methods for extracting models and other information from very large amounts of data. Next session of this great course starts Jan 31 on Coursera and is free.
- Interview: Miriah Meyer, Univ. of Utah on the Art and Science of Visualization - Jan 12, 2015.
We discuss insights from the best paper at ACM AVI 2014, increasing interest in visualization, infographics, trends, challenges, advice and more.
- December 2014 Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining Acquisitions and Startups Activity - Jan 12, 2015.
December 2014 acquisitions, startups, and company activity in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science: Scaled Inference, Pulse Energy, Mixpanel, Oracle buys Datalogix, Hortonworks IPO, MSFT buys HockeyApp, Brandwatch buys PeerIndex, MetaMind launches.
- Deep Learning in a Nutshell – what it is, how it works, why care? - Jan 12, 2015.
Deep learning and neural networks are increasingly important concepts in computer science with great strides being made by large companies like Google and startups like DeepMind.
- Fundamental methods of Data Science: Classification, Regression And Similarity Matching - Jan 12, 2015.
Data classification, regression, and similarity matching underpin many of the fundamental algorithms in data science to solve business problems like consumer response prediction and product recommendation.
- Cartoon: Hello, Singularity - Jan 11, 2015.
New KDnuggets cartoon takes a look at what can happen when Artificial Intelligence (AI) achieves Singularity.
- Top KDnuggets Analytics, Big Data, Data Science stories in 2014, updated - Jan 11, 2015.
Top KDnuggets stories in 2014 had several themes - Deep Learning; Data Scientist career, education, and salary; IBM Watson; Resources for learning Data Science, especially R and Python, and polls on what are most popular analytics/data mining software & languages.
- Debunking Big Data Myths. Again - Jan 11, 2015.
Myths change with understanding. Misunderstandings on some of the current myths surrounding big data as follows will fade away: big data is made for big business, big data adoption is high and machine learning overcomes human bias.
- Top stories for Jan 4-10: 11 Clever Methods of Overfitting; Research Leaders on Data Science and Big Data - Jan 11, 2015.
11 Clever Methods of Overfitting and how to avoid them; Causation vs Correlation: Visualization, Statistics, and Intuition; Research Leaders on Data Science and Big Data key trends, top papers; Differential Privacy: How to make Privacy and Data Mining Compatible.
- Interview: Sharmila Mulligan, ClearStory Data on Variety & Velocity to be Big Data Priorities - Jan 10, 2015.
We discuss the ClearStory Data’s competitive differentiation, client use case, Big Data trends, advice, desired soft skills in data scientists and more.
- PACE Data Mining Boot Camps, San Diego, Feb 10-11 - Jan 10, 2015.
San Diego Supercomputing Center PACE (Predictive Analytics Center of Excellence) excels at delivering practical, hands-on training in a small classroom setting. Attend next data mining boot camp is Feb 10-11.
- Wharton Workshop: Bringing Customer Lifetime Value to Life, Feb 19-20, Philadelphia - Jan 10, 2015.
Predicting how much profit can be generated from a future relationship with a customer is extremely important. This workshop will teach how do this important analysis.
- AI Says Data Scientists Not So Sexy in 2015 - Jan 10, 2015.
In 2015, democratization of data will become the democratization of information, data-hoarding era will be end and artificial intelligence will step into the mainstream.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jan 7-8: Programming languages popularity by US state; Machine Learning best practices from Kaggle competitions - Jan 9, 2015.
Programming languages popularity by US state; Why Ayasdi Topological Data Analysis Works - real data frequently is nonlinear; Learning Data Science and Predictive Modeling at Your Own Pace; Great talk: Machine Learning best practices from Kaggle competitions.
- Differential Privacy: How to make Privacy and Data Mining Compatible - Jan 9, 2015.
Can privacy coexist with machine learning and data mining? Differential privacy allows the learning of general characteristics of populations while guaranteeing the privacy of individual records.
- Research Leaders on Data Mining, Data Science, and Big Data key trends, top papers - Jan 9, 2015.
We asked global research leaders in Data Science and Big Data what are the most interesting research papers/advances of 2014 and what are the key trends they see in 2015. Here are their answers.
- Predictive Analytics Innovation Summit, Chicago – Day 2 Highlights - Jan 9, 2015.
Highlights from the presentations by Predictive Analytics leaders from Time Warner Cable, AT&T and Verizon on day 2 of Predictive Analytics Innovation Summit 2014 in Chicago.
- World experts will meet for first Deep Learning Summit in San Francisco, Jan 29-30 - Jan 9, 2015.
The Deep Learning Summit is a unique opportunity to meet influential data scientists, technologists, world-leading researchers, entrepreneurs and data engineers. KDnuggets discount.
- Interview: Sharmila Mulligan, ClearStory Data on Collaborative StoryBoards for Big Data - Jan 8, 2015.
We discuss the founding story of ClearStory Data, progress since its launch, Collaborative StoryBoards, common pain points in business analytics and data harmonization.
- Learning Data Science and Predictive Modeling at Your Own Pace – A Free Online Video Series - Jan 8, 2015.
A twenty part video training series on Predictive Modeling, offering the Rapid Insight and the concepts behind the predictive models.
- PAN Competition 2015: Plagiarism Detection, Author ID, Author Profiling - Jan 8, 2015.
Take part in one of 3 tasks: Plagiarism Detection - given a document, is it an original? Author Identification - given a document, who wrote it? Author Profiling - given a document, what is author age / gender?
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jan 5-6: Great post: Deep Learning in a Nutshell; Big Data visualized in so many ways - Jan 7, 2015.
Great post: #DeepLearning in a Nutshell: what it is, how does it work, and why care; #BigData is visualized in so many ways...; Review of @deanabb book "Applied Predictive Analytics" ; Free Predictive Modeling Education Videos - Learn #DataScience at your own pace.
- Majority thinks Artificial Intelligence will not be a threat to Humanity - Jan 7, 2015.
The plurality of 48% in latest KDnuggets poll say Artificial Intelligence will not be a threat to Humanity, but really interesting and scary questions have been raised - perhaps humanity is a threat to progress?
- PAW: 5 Co-Located Analytics Events in San Francisco, March 29 – Apr 2, 2015 - Jan 7, 2015.
March 29 - Apr 2, 2015 San Francisco hosts PAW for Business, eMetrics Summit, Predictive Analytics World for Workforce, Text Analytics World and the PA Times Executive Breakfast.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – Jan 6, 2015 and beyond - Jan 6, 2015.
Hadoop, Top BI Trends, Enter a KDD Cup or Kaggle, YARN, In-Database Analytics Deep Dive, Data Mining: Failure to Launch, and more.
- Predictive Analytics Innovation Summit, Chicago – Day 1 Highlights - Jan 6, 2015.
Highlights from the presentations by Predictive Analytics leaders from Netflix, LinkedIn and Mashable on day 1 of Predictive Analytics Innovation Summit 2014 in Chicago.
- Big Data Bootcamp, Santa Clara, Jan 16-18 - Jan 6, 2015.
This is a fast paced, vendor agnostic, technical overview of the Big Data landscape targeted towards both technical and non-technical people who want to understand the emerging world of Big Data. Special KDnuggets discount.
- iMath Cloud Data Science Platform beta - Jan 6, 2015.
iMathResearch presents a Data Science platform, offering development in Python, R or Octave, cloud-based collaboration, private computational instances and visualization from the browser.
- Agnik Connected Insurance Program powered by Vehicle Analytics - Jan 6, 2015.
Car owners can save up to 20% with Connected Insurance Program with participating insurance carriers by opting in after driving for least 50 miles with an Agnik connected car product.
- Webinar: Data Mining: Failure to Launch [Jan 15] - Jan 5, 2015.
Learn how to get started with predictive modeling and overcome strategic and tactical limitations that cause data mining projects to fall short of their potential. Next webinar is Jan 15.
- Interview: Paul Robbins, STATS on the Potential and Challenges for Sports Analytics - Jan 5, 2015.
We discuss Analytics at STATS, typical daily tasks, ICE Analytics platform, key challenges, response from coaches/players, career advice and more.
- Upcoming Jan – Jun 2015 Meetings in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, Data Science, Machine Learning - Jan 5, 2015.
Coming soon: Big Data Innovation Las Vegas, EGC, Deep Learning Summit SF, TDWI Las Vegas, IKDD India, PAW Business and PAW Workforce San Francisco, Text Analytics World, MLconf NYC, SBP15.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Dec 29 – Jan 04: A brilliant way to tell causation from correlation; Machine Learning Experts You Need to Know. - Jan 5, 2015.
SAS is n1 among major BI vendors whose users plan to discontinue use; How #MachineLearning, #BigData, and image recognition could revolutionize search; A brilliant way to tell causation from correlation; Machine Learning Experts You Need to Know: Geoff Hinton, Michael Jordan, Andrew Ng.
- Enter a KDD Cup or Kaggle Competition. You don’t need to be an expert! - Jan 4, 2015.
The webinar will show on the example of KDD Cup 2009 how Salford TreeNet can quickly achieve a top 5 result, and how to quickly build great models even if you are not an expert.
- Causation vs Correlation: Visualization, Statistics, and Intuition - Jan 4, 2015.
Visualizations of correlation vs. causation and some common pitfalls and insights involving the statistics are explored in this case study involving stock price time series.
- Top stories for Dec 28 – Jan 3: What will happen to big data and data science? Analytics: Five Rules to Cut Through the Hype - Jan 4, 2015.
2015 Predictions: What will happen to big data and data science?; Data Mining is LinkedIn Hottest Skill in 2014; Analytics: Five Rules to Cut Through the Hype; 11 Clever Methods of Overfitting and how to avoid them.
- Data Mining and Text Analytics of World Cup 2014 - Jan 3, 2015.
Explore how text analysis techniques to dig into some of the data in a series of blog posts, focusing on matches and their events, tweets languages, tweets volumes for different teams and sentiment analysis.
- NYC Open Data Meetups in January - Jan 3, 2015.
Upcoming events including Python Machine learning class Demo Day, Data Science Bootcamp and more.
- Top stories in December: If programming languages were vehicles; Cartoon: Unexpected Data Science Recommendations - Jan 2, 2015.
If programming languages were vehicles, what would be R, Python, SAS, and SQL? Cartoon: Unexpected Data Science Recommendations; Geoffrey Hinton talks about Deep Learning, Google and Everything; IBM Watson Analytics vs. Microsoft Azure Machine Learning.
- 11 Clever Methods of Overfitting and how to avoid them - Jan 2, 2015.
Overfitting is the bane of Data Science in the age of Big Data. John Langford reviews "clever" methods of overfitting, including traditional, parameter tweak, brittle measures, bad statistics, human-loop overfitting, and gives suggestions and directions for avoiding overfitting.
- 2014 in Review: Top KDnuggets tweets in August - Jan 1, 2015.
Worst Venn Diagram ever? ThomsonReuters needs a new graphic designer; The World Bank sums up the entire global economy in one chart; #BigData moves to "Trough of Disillusionment" in Gartner 2014 Hype Cycle; xkcd: Boyfriend as a statistically "significant" other.
- NYC Data Science Academy Bootcamp, Feb 2 – Apr 24 - Jan 1, 2015.
Learn from one of NYC top Data Science Instructors and receive mentorship from Chief Data Scientists, ending with interview prep and job placement at top firms in New York and the Tri-State area.
- Analytics: Five Rules to Cut Through the Hype - Jan 1, 2015.
Cut through the analytics hype by asking the right questions, discerning between value-add analytics, considering in and out of house solutions, forming an iterative analytics process, and making sure your organization uses it.
- Additions to KDnuggets Directory in December 2014 - Jan 1, 2015.
TDWI Las Vegas (Feb 22), UIC Big Data Symposium (Mar 17), INFORMS (Apr 12-14), BVA Data Science, Silk visualization and more.