2015 Jan News, Features
All (120) | Courses, Education (14) | Meetings (14) | News, Features (21) | Opinions, Interviews, Reports (46) | Publications (2) | Software (4) | Top Tweets (13) | Webcasts (6)
- BioEye 2015 – Competition on Biometrics via Eye Movements
- Jan 30, 2015.
The BioEye 2015 competition is giving an opportunity to scientists and researchers to use a large, high quality database of eye movements and advance the field of eye movement biometrics.
- KDnuggets Free Pass to Strata Hadoop World San Jose, Feb 17-20, 2015
- Jan 27, 2015.
Strata + Hadoop World San Jose gathers the leading minds in Big Data, both decision makers and practitioners. See how to win a free KDnuggets 2-day pass.
- Top /r/MachineLearning posts, Jan 18-24: K-means clustering is not a free lunch; A Deep Dive into Recurrent Neural Nets
- Jan 26, 2015.
Textbook Easter Eggs, issues with k-means, recurrent neural networks, genetic algorithm challenges, and the implementation of machine learning pipelines are all in this week's top /r/MachineLearning posts.
- Top stories for Jan 18-24: Basics of Deep Learning to Get You Started; Top SlideShare Presentations on Big Data, updated
- Jan 25, 2015.
Arno Candel on the Basics of Deep Learning to Get You Started; Top SlideShare Presentations on Big Data, updated; 15 Programming Languages to know in 2015; 8 Trends In Big Data For 2015.
- Microsoft buys Revolution Analytics
- Jan 24, 2015.
Microsoft buys Revolution Analytics - I look at why this is both surprising and not.
- BioASQ challenge on large-scale biomedical semantic indexing and question answering
- Jan 23, 2015.
The BioASQ challenge has 2 tasks: large-scale biomedical semantic indexing (join in February) and biomedical semantic QA (join in March-April).
- Top /r/MachineLearning posts, Jan 11-17
- Jan 18, 2015.
SVMs, open source datasets, Bayesian decision theory, game AI, and deep learning visualizations are all featured in the past week's top /r/MachineLearning posts.
- Top stories for Jan 11-17: Research Leaders on Data Mining/Big Data key trends, top papers; Deep Learning in a Nutshell
- Jan 18, 2015.
Research Leaders on Data Mining, Data Science, and Big Data key trends, top papers; Deep Learning in a Nutshell - what it is, how it works, why care?; Deep Learning can be easily fooled; Cartoon: Hello, Singularity.
- ChaLearn Automatic Machine Learning Challenge (AutoML)
- Jan 15, 2015.
Design the perfect machine learning “black box” capable of performing all model selection and hyper-parameter tuning without any human intervention. There is a prize pool of $30,000 donated by Microsoft if you are willing to make your code publicly available.
- 10 Big Data Experts to Know
- Jan 13, 2015.
High-power executives, experts, and entrepreneurs shape the future of the big data market, making them necessary knowledge for anyone in the know in the industry.
- December 2014 Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining Acquisitions and Startups Activity
- Jan 12, 2015.
December 2014 acquisitions, startups, and company activity in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science: Scaled Inference, Pulse Energy, Mixpanel, Oracle buys Datalogix, Hortonworks IPO, MSFT buys HockeyApp, Brandwatch buys PeerIndex, MetaMind launches.
- Cartoon: Hello, Singularity
- Jan 11, 2015.
New KDnuggets cartoon takes a look at what can happen when Artificial Intelligence (AI) achieves Singularity.
- Top KDnuggets Analytics, Big Data, Data Science stories in 2014, updated
- Jan 11, 2015.
Top KDnuggets stories in 2014 had several themes - Deep Learning; Data Scientist career, education, and salary; IBM Watson; Resources for learning Data Science, especially R and Python, and polls on what are most popular analytics/data mining software & languages.
- Top stories for Jan 4-10: 11 Clever Methods of Overfitting; Research Leaders on Data Science and Big Data
- Jan 11, 2015.
11 Clever Methods of Overfitting and how to avoid them; Causation vs Correlation: Visualization, Statistics, and Intuition; Research Leaders on Data Science and Big Data key trends, top papers; Differential Privacy: How to make Privacy and Data Mining Compatible.
- Research Leaders on Data Mining, Data Science, and Big Data key trends, top papers
- Jan 9, 2015.
We asked global research leaders in Data Science and Big Data what are the most interesting research papers/advances of 2014 and what are the key trends they see in 2015. Here are their answers.
- PAN Competition 2015: Plagiarism Detection, Author ID, Author Profiling
- Jan 8, 2015.
Take part in one of 3 tasks: Plagiarism Detection - given a document, is it an original? Author Identification - given a document, who wrote it? Author Profiling - given a document, what is author age / gender?
- Majority thinks Artificial Intelligence will not be a threat to Humanity
- Jan 7, 2015.
The plurality of 48% in latest KDnuggets poll say Artificial Intelligence will not be a threat to Humanity, but really interesting and scary questions have been raised - perhaps humanity is a threat to progress?
- Agnik Connected Insurance Program powered by Vehicle Analytics
- Jan 6, 2015.
Car owners can save up to 20% with Connected Insurance Program with participating insurance carriers by opting in after driving for least 50 miles with an Agnik connected car product.
- Top stories for Dec 28 – Jan 3: What will happen to big data and data science? Analytics: Five Rules to Cut Through the Hype
- Jan 4, 2015.
2015 Predictions: What will happen to big data and data science?; Data Mining is LinkedIn Hottest Skill in 2014; Analytics: Five Rules to Cut Through the Hype; 11 Clever Methods of Overfitting and how to avoid them.
- Top stories in December: If programming languages were vehicles; Cartoon: Unexpected Data Science Recommendations
- Jan 2, 2015.
If programming languages were vehicles, what would be R, Python, SAS, and SQL? Cartoon: Unexpected Data Science Recommendations; Geoffrey Hinton talks about Deep Learning, Google and Everything; IBM Watson Analytics vs. Microsoft Azure Machine Learning.
- Additions to KDnuggets Directory in December 2014
- Jan 1, 2015.
TDWI Las Vegas (Feb 22), UIC Big Data Symposium (Mar 17), INFORMS (Apr 12-14), BVA Data Science, Silk visualization and more.