2015 Feb Opinions, Interviews, Reports
All (104) | Courses, Education (13) | Meetings (7) | News, Features (19) | Opinions, Interviews, Reports (30) | Publications (6) | Software (10) | Top Tweets (12) | Webcasts (7)
- 5 Lessons from a Data Science Chat - Mar 19, 2015.
Data science applications, key challenges, appropriate skills and more – key takeaways from a data science Tweet chat.
- Strata + Hadoop World 2015 San Jose – report and highlights - Feb 27, 2015.
Highlights of Strata + Hadoop World San Jose, including Apache Spark vs Storm vs Samza for streaming data, Kafka as a universal message bus, what Netflix puts in front of HDFS, Parquet as a basis for ETL and analytics, DJ Patil, Internet of Things, and more.
- Interview: Nicholas Marko, Geisinger on the Skills Needed for Healthcare Analytics - Feb 27, 2015.
We discuss challenges of dealing with healthcare data, trends in healthcare analytics, important skills for data scientists and more.
- The Internet of People: 4 key principles for analyzing personal data - Feb 27, 2015.
The “Internet of People” raises a host of legal and ethical questions about the ownership and use of our personal data. We all have a stake in joining and navigating this increasingly stormy debate. Here are 4 key principles.
- Interview: Nicholas Marko, Geisinger on Building the Analytics Culture for Healthcare - Feb 26, 2015.
We discuss how to establish credibility of data analytics, recommendations for a data-driven culture, analytics challenges in healthcare and more.
- RE.WORK Deep Learning Summit, San Francisco, January – videos, presentations - Feb 26, 2015.
Interesting videos and presentations from January Deep Learning Summit include a Fireside Chat with Andrew Ng and Derrick Harris, presentations by Richard Socher (Founder, MetaMind), Quoc Le (Research Scientist, Google), Greg Corrado (Sr Research Scientist at Google), and more.
- Interview: Nicholas Marko, Geisinger on the Groundwork for Big Data Success - Feb 25, 2015.
We discuss Big Data & Analytics at Geisinger Health System, CDO challenges, and impact of Big Data on decision making at executive level.
- Beagli: Finding value in your personal data - Feb 25, 2015.
Personal analytics products can help users extract value from their data. This post describes our development of Beagli, a platform for mining and auctioning personal data.
- Interview: David Kasik, Boeing on Data Analysis vs Data Analytics - Feb 23, 2015.
We discuss the impact of increasing amount of data on visualization, difference between Data Analysis and Data Analytics, motivation, trends, desired skills and more.
- Big Data, Privacy, and Security – which side are you on? - Feb 18, 2015.
After all the positive promise, the hype, and predictions about Big Data, 2015 started with a debate about privacy and specifically whether or not companies like Google and Facebook should be allowed to encrypt their users data.
- Data Mining finds JASBUG, a Critical Security Vulnerability - Feb 17, 2015.
We explain how the critical Microsoft security vulnerability JASBUG that existed for 15 years was detected with similarity search and regular expression inference.
- Interview: David Kasik, Boeing on How Visual Analytics is Improving Aviation Safety - Feb 16, 2015.
We discuss data visualization at Boeing, the importance of Visual Analytics, Aviation Safety improvement through Analytics and augmented reality.
- Interview: M.C. Srivas, CTO, MapR on Data Agility – The Next Frontier of Big Data - Feb 12, 2015.
We discuss the competitive differentiation of MapR, challenges in consumerizing Big Data, trends, strategy recommendations, desired skills and more.
- Interview: M.C. Srivas, MapR on Demystifying the Art of Processing Massive Data - Feb 11, 2015.
We discuss the launch and evolution of MapR, achievements, key characteristics of MapR-DB, significance of Apache Drill, MapR use cases and more.
- PAW: How Predictive Analytics Reinvents These Six Industries - Feb 10, 2015.
Predictive analytics is a game-changer - it's like "Moneyball" for... money. This article summarizes and links resources with late-breaking coverage of how predictive analytics reinvents six industries.
- Interview: Phani Nagarjuna, Nuevora on Right Data and Business Analytics Roadmap - Feb 10, 2015.
We discuss the journey of Business Analytics, definition of Right Data, competitive differentiation of Nuevora, challenges in the large-scale consumerization of analytics, and more.
- Data Science’s Most Used, Confused, and Abused Jargon - Feb 10, 2015.
As data science has spread through the mainstream, so too has a dense vocabulary of ill-defined jargon. In a split-personality post, we offer several perspectives on many of data science's most confused terms.
- Analyzing Analysts to Build Better Analysis Software - Feb 10, 2015.
Our study how analysts used Mode led to major updates designed to fit how data analysts and business analysts actually use data - there's no one-size-fits-all tool and analysis doesn't end with the analyst.
- 10 things statistics taught us about big data analysis - Feb 10, 2015.
There are 10 ideas in applied statistics are relevant for big data analysis, focusing on prediction accuracy, interactive analysis and more.
- Interview: Phani Nagarjuna, Nuevora on CMO Expectations from Analytics - Feb 9, 2015.
We discuss the value proposition of Nuevora, founding story, CMO expectations from Analytics and the Nuevora nBAAP platform.
- Top 30 people in Big Data and Analytics - Feb 9, 2015.
Innovation Enterprise has compiled a top 30 list for individuals in big data that have had a large impact on the development or popularity of the industry.
- Interview: Jason Bloomberg, Intellyx on the Tricky Balance of Optimization and Innovation - Feb 6, 2015.
We discuss Agile Digital Transformation, Optimization vs Innovation trade-off, best innovations of 2014, trends, advice and more.
- Two Most Important Trends in Analytics and Big Data in 2015 - Feb 6, 2015.
In 2015, two most important trends in Analytics and Big Data are in developing countries and big data security.
- How Many Quants are Changing Jobs? - Feb 6, 2015.
Being a quantitative recruiter, I have had a unique perspective on the current climate and how often are Quants changing jobs? What does this mean if you’re a Quant? What does this mean if you’re trying to hire a Quant?
- The Post-Hadoop World: New Kid On The Block Technologies - Feb 5, 2015.
Big Data technology has evolved rapidly, and although Hadoop and Hive are still its core components, a new breed of technologies has emerged and is changing how we work with data, enabling more fluid ways to process, store, and manage it.
- Analytics Outsourcing to India: Should or Shouldn’t? - Feb 5, 2015.
Outsourcing analytics talent to India will continue to grow as a trend as evidenced by the increasing number of Fortune 500 companies participating in the practice.
- Interview: Rachel Hawley, SAS on Why Data Science Needs Communication Skills - Feb 4, 2015.
We discuss SAS Analytics Center of Excellence, trends, advice, desired skills in data science and more.
- Interview: Rachel Hawley, SAS on the Quest for Agile Analytics - Feb 3, 2015.
We discuss Agile Analytics, moving from traditional Analytics to Agile, challenges in operationalizing Analytics, SAS Enterprise Decision Management and SAS In-Memory Statistics.
- Interview: Eli Collins, Cloudera on Evolution and Future of Big Data Ecosystem - Feb 2, 2015.
We discuss the change in Big Data priorities, risks, Big Data ecosystem, rise of data culture in organizations, challenges, advice and more.
- Avoiding a Common Mistake with Time Series - Feb 2, 2015.
We explore a common mistake in analyzing relationships between time series, and show how de-trending helps to avoid this error.