Top Big Data influencers of 2014, according to HadoopSphere
Top big data influencers of 2014 include analysts Mike Gualtieri and Curt Monash, IBM and TDWI media, Spark and Scala products, Ben Lorica @bigdata and Gregory Piatetsky @kdnuggets on social media, Data Collective and AngelList co-founder.
Here is HadoopSphere annual list of top big data influencers, reflecting the people, products, organizations and portals that exercised the most influence on big data and ecosystem in 2014.
The methodology used included reach of the person/company, relevance, CTR, financial influence, and primary category.
- Mike Gualtieri, Principal Analyst at Forrester, focusing on big data strategy, Hadoop, advanced analytics, machine learning, and emerging technologies that make software faster and smarter.
- Curt Monash, a leading analyst of and strategic advisor to the software industry.
- Tony Baer (Ovum), principal analyst for Data management, big data platforms & practices, databases, data governance, software engineering for complex products/systems of systems.
- TDWI, research papers, blogs, webinars and education events on Big Data and Analytics.
- IBM Data Magazine, along with other relevant IBM resources like IBM Big Data Hub, Big Data University, and Developer Works. Although main focus is IBM specific, it also is a good education resource to the big data community.
- DZone, offering "smart content" for big data professionals, including popular Refcardz.
- Apache Spark - now has the biggest open source community in big data ecosystem
- Scala, becoming a preferred language for big data programming, promoted by both Apache Spark and Flink.
- Apache Kafka, emerged as a preferred choice for data ingestion by many web giants. It was developed at LinkedIn and became a part of major Hadoop distributions only in early 2015.
- Ben Lorica, Chief Data Scientist at O'Reilly Media and Director of Content Strategy for Strata conference. 3700 tweets, 23600 followers.
- Gregory Piatetsky-Shapiro, KDnuggets President, Analytics/Big Data/Data Mining/Data Science expert, KDD & SIGKDD co-founder. 20,100 tweets, 31,200 followers.
- Kirk D. Borne, Data Scientist, PhD Astrophysicist, Top #BigData Influencer. 33,600 tweets, 25700 followers.
- Naval Ravikant, Entrepreneur, angel investor, co-founder of AngelList.
- Data Collective, a seed and early stage venture capital fund that invests in big data companies.
- Mike Olson, Chief Strategy Officer of Cloudera.
- Merv Adrian, Research VP at Gartner and the more known face of the research company in social media and event circles.
Comparing with HadoopSphere 2013 Big Data Influencers, only Tony Baer, Merv Adrian, IBM, Gregory Piatetsky remained on the list in both years.
Dropped in 2014 were: Analysts and Media: Matt Aslett, Derrick Harris, Alexandru Popescu; Products: Hadapt, Vivisimo, SAP HANA; Repositories: ASF, Github, Google Code; Social Media: DJ Patil, TweetChat.