All (122) | Courses, Education (9) | Meetings (11) | News, Features (19) | Opinions, Interviews, Reports (44) | Publications (14) | Software (11) | Top Tweets (5) | Webcasts (9)
- Download IKANOW’s “Beyond the Kill Chain” eBook - Apr 30, 2015.
A complete security platform, powered by business intelligence, lets CISOs go beyond the kill chain, and manage risks, not just react to intrusions - download free ebook.
- Closer Look: Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery Journal - Apr 29, 2015.
Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery Journal has a new EIC, has high impact factor, and allows researchers to publish open access.
- Interview: Haile Owusu, Mashable on Riding the Wave of Viral Content - Apr 29, 2015.
We discuss Mashable’s milestones, data-driven digital publishing, digital media tracking, viral prediction, and Mashable Velocity.
- Data Scientists Thoughts that Inspire - Apr 29, 2015.
Inspirational thoughts from leading data scientists, including Yann LeCun, Erin Shellman, Daniel Tunkelang, Claudia Perlich, and Jake Porway. What inspires you?
- Kaggle Competition (Facebook recruiting): Human or Robot? - Apr 28, 2015.
Facebook and Kaggle are launching an Engineering competition for 2015 - leaders will earn an opportunity to interview for a software engineer at Facebook, working on world class Machine Learning problems. In this competition, you'll be chasing down robots for an online auction site.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Apr 21-27: Great discussion: Building Big Data systems in academia, industry; Deep Learning in a Nutshell - Apr 28, 2015.
Great discussion: Building #BigData systems in academia, industry; DeepLearning in a Nutshell - what it is, how it works, why care?; Basics of #DeepLearning to Get You Started; Top LinkedIn Groups for #Analytics, #BigData.
- Text Analytics, Text Mining Courses on Statistics.com - Apr 28, 2015.
Text analytics or text mining is the natural extension and essential part of predictive analytics and Data Science - learn key skills with Statistics.com online courses.
- TMA Predictive Analytics Data Mining Training [Wash. DC, May | Toronto, Aug] - Apr 28, 2015.
Successful analytics in the big data era does not start with data and software, but with hands-on, immersive training and goal-driven strategy - get it from The Modeling Agency in Washington DC (May), Toronto (Aug).
- On the Shelf: Data Science Books - Apr 28, 2015.
Here are some great books About Data Science, Data Science for Businesses, Data Science in Popular Culture, Data Science How Tos & Manuals, and more - brought to you by UC Berkeley online Master of Information and Data Science.
- How to become a Data Scientist – brief answer - Apr 28, 2015.
The most important steps to become a Data Scientist: learn Python, deep understanding of machine learning, try to be up-to-date. Check more details in the post.
- Webinar: Data Mining: Failure to Launch
[May 5] - Apr 27, 2015.Learn how to get started with predictive modeling and overcome strategic and tactical limitations that cause data mining projects to fall short of their potential. Next webinar is May 5.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – Apr 28 and beyond - Apr 27, 2015.
Solving Big Data Challenges, Implementing a Better Search Experience, Data Scientists Compensation, Maximizing ROI, Identifying Customers Across Platforms, The Fast Data Challenge with Michael Stonebraker, and more.
- Interview: Mario Vinasco, Facebook on Advancing Marketing Analytics through Rigorous Experimentation - Apr 27, 2015.
We discuss marketing analytics at Facebook, multi-channel performance assessment, success factors, lessons from Look Back feature, advice, and more.
- The Myth of Model Interpretability - Apr 27, 2015.
Deep networks are widely regarded as black boxes. But are they truly uninterpretable in any way that logistic regression is not?
- Top /r/MachineLearning Posts, Apr 19-25: Neural nets for nipple detection; NHL Goal celebration hack - Apr 27, 2015.
Convolutional neural nets and Android App for nipple detection (NSFW), NHL goal detection, Geoff Hinton recent AI talk, top machine learning podcasts, and matrix multiplication in deep learning.
- Top stories for Apr 19-25: Top LinkedIn Groups for Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining; 10 R Packages for a Kaggle Champion - Apr 26, 2015.
Top LinkedIn Groups for Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science - from "Big Bang to Now"; Top 10 R Packages to be a Kaggle Champion; Deep Learning to Fight Crime.
- New Hybrid Rare-Event Sampling Technique for Fraud Detection - Apr 26, 2015.
Proposed hybrid sampling methodology may prove useful when building and validating machine learning models for applications where target event is rare, such as fraud detection.
- Interview: Emmanuel Letouzé, Data-Pop Alliance on Big Data for Development and Future Prospects - Apr 25, 2015.
We discuss the field of Big Data for Development, current projects and future plans for Data-Pop Alliance, public participation opportunities, advice, and more.
- Open drives Boston Open Data Science Conference, May 30-31 - Apr 25, 2015.
Data science is built on transparency, effort, and the exchange of ideas. Join Open Data Science Conference, Boston, May 30-31, 2015.
- Data Science Open House Apr 29, Online or In-Person, NYC - Apr 24, 2015.
Data science educator Metis, creators of the Metis Data Science Bootcamp in New York City, are hosting Apr 29 open house, in person in NYC and live online. Attend to meet the instructors, students and alumni.
- Interview: Emmanuel Letouzé, Data-Pop Alliance on Democratizing the Benefits of Big Data - Apr 24, 2015.
We discuss the 3 Cs of Big Data, state of ethics in the field of Big Data, and how to ensure that the benefits of Big Data reach the masses.
- Big Data Bootcamp, Austin: Day 3 Highlights - Apr 24, 2015.
Highlights from the presentations by Big Data and Analytics leaders/consultants on day 3 of Big Data Bootcamp in Austin.
- HappyGrumpy – Free Twitter Sentiment Analysis and Data - Apr 24, 2015.
HappyGrumpy has made available interesting data of Twitter sentiment changes and sentiment distribution around the world, by country, and over time.
- MapR on Open Data Platform: Why we declined - Apr 24, 2015.
Why MapR declined to participate in the Open Data Platform? Our concerns include redundancy with Apache Software Foundation Governance, misdefined “core”, and lack of participation from Hadoop leaders.
- Big Data Bootcamp, Austin: Day 2 Highlights - Apr 23, 2015.
Highlights from the presentations by Big Data and Analytics leaders/consultants on day 2 of Big Data Bootcamp in Austin.
- Data Mining: New Comprehensive Textbook by Charu Aggarwal - Apr 23, 2015.
This comprehensive data mining textbook explores the different aspects of data mining, from basics to advanced, and their applications, and may be used for both introductory and advanced data mining courses.
- Interview: Emmanuel Letouzé, Data-Pop Alliance on the Role of Big Data in Economic Development - Apr 23, 2015.
We discuss the emerging Big Data ecosystem, its key players, and the severe consequences of inadequate statistical capabilities across many African nations.
- Top /r/MachineLearning Posts, Apr 12-18: Andrew Ng AMA, Autoencoders, and Deep Learning Textbooks - Apr 23, 2015.
Andrew Ng's AMA, a probabilistic view of Autoencoders, open source sentiment analysis, deep learning textbooks, and Airbnb's host matching are all discussed this week on /r/MachineLearning.
- Salford Quickstart Data Mining Training in Washington, DC, May 15 - Apr 23, 2015.
Get step-by-step instruction for the most popular data mining techniques, be able to start your own data mining projects, apply your new data mining knowledge to create immediate value.
- Data Lakes for Big Data, Free MOOC from EMC - Apr 23, 2015.
What can Big Data and Data Lakes do for you? Find out in our FREE Data Lakes for Big Data MOOC.
- Big Data Bootcamp, Austin: Day 1 Highlights - Apr 22, 2015.
Highlights from the presentations by Big Data and Analytics leaders/consultants on day 1 of Big Data Bootcamp 2015 in Austin.
- Interview: Emmanuel Letouzé, Data-Pop Alliance on Big Data and Human Rights – A Complex Affair - Apr 22, 2015.
We discuss the founding story of Data-Pop Alliance, the applications and implications of Big Data on Human Rights and the need for penetration of Data Literacy.
- Deep Learning to Fight Crime - Apr 22, 2015.
We look at how using Deep Learning, Spark, and H2O Machine Learning platform can be used to analyze and predict crime in San Francisco and Chicago.
- UC Analytics Summit 2015, Cincinnati, May 29 - Apr 21, 2015.
UC Summit will feature two analytics leaders: John Elder and Stephen Few, 4 afternoon tracks focusing on descriptive / prescriptive / predictive analytics, building your analytics team, and more.
- KDnuggets Poll: Future of Predictive Analytics: Human or Machine? - Apr 21, 2015.
The robots are taking over many jobs - will they take yours and mine? New KDnuggets Poll is asking if and when automation will reach the level of human data scientists.
- Map of the Complexity Sciences – from von Neumann & Kolmogorov to Hofstadter and Piatetsky-Shapiro (?) - Apr 21, 2015.
A map of the Complexity Sciences traces its intellectual heritage from Isaac Newton and Henri Poincare to John von Neumann, Andrei Kolmogorov, and Duncan Watts, and includes an unexpectedly familiar name.
- Interview: Michael Li, Data Incubator on Bridging the Data Science Skills Gap between Academia and Industry - Apr 21, 2015.
We discuss the response from hiring companies, recommendations for aspirants, retaining data science talent, advice, and more.
- Top 10 R Packages to be a Kaggle Champion - Apr 21, 2015.
Kaggle top ranker Xavier Conort shares insights on the “10 R Packages to Win Kaggle Competitions”.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Apr 14-20: Modern Methods for Sentiment Analysis; Basics of SQL, RDBMS – must have skills - Apr 21, 2015.
Great overview: Modern Methods for Sentiment Analysis #word2vec; Basics of SQL and RDBMS - must have skills for data science; The 7 Most Unusual Applications of Big Data; Extensive, but a little confusing site: Understanding Data Visualization.
- Salford Webinar: Maximizing ROI with State-of-the-art Data Science Techniques, Apr 28 - Apr 21, 2015.
ROI is a key measure for many business decisions. We will show how using state-of-the-art data science techniques, like TreeNet gradient boosting, we can optimize product promotion options and maximize revenue and wider gain.
- The Imminent Future of Predictive Modeling - Apr 21, 2015.
Predictive modeling tools and services are undergoing an inevitable step-change which will free data scientists to focus on applications and insight, and result in more powerful and robust models than ever before. Amongst the key enabling technologies are new hugely scalable cross-validation frameworks, and meta-learning.
- Algorithmia Tested: Human vs Automated Tag Generation - Apr 21, 2015.
Algorithmia, the marketplace for algorithms, can be a platform for hosting APIs to do a plethora of text analytics and information retrieval tasks. Automatic post tagging is done in this case study to demonstrate the effectiveness and ease-of-use of the platform.
- Penn State Online Business Analytics Certificate - Apr 21, 2015.
Penn State World Campus 9-credit online Graduate Certificate in Business Analytics: teaches you Business Strategies, Marketing Analytics, and Prescriptive Analytics. Applications due June 16.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – Apr 21 and beyond - Apr 20, 2015.
Solving Big Data Challenges, Impact of User-Generated Reviews, Implementing a Better Search Experience, Maximizing ROI using Data Science, Identifying Customers Across Platforms, The Fast Data Challenge with Michael Stonebraker, and more.
- Interview: Michael Li, Data Incubator on Data-driven Hiring for Data Scientists - Apr 20, 2015.
We discuss the launch of the Data Incubator, its business model, why we need data-driven hiring, selection process for the incubator program and alumni feedback.
- Webinar: Identifying Users Across Platforms with a Universal ID, Apr 28, by Looker + Segment - Apr 20, 2015.
Any serious customer analysis requires that each customer is counted once and only once - a difficult problem, especially with customer touchpoints across devices. This webinar shows how using a universal id helps solve this problem.
- Linkurious Enterprise democratizes graph visualization - Apr 20, 2015.
Linkurious announces the launch of Linkurious Enterprise, the first data visualization platform for graph databases.
- smartcon: Big Data, Big Ideas conference with world-renowned experts, Istanbul, 26-27 May - Apr 20, 2015.
Big data, and its wide range of innovative business applications will be discussed in smartcon 2015 in Istanbul, May 26-27, led by world-renowned experts including Alex Pentland, Usama Fayyad, Amr Awadallah, and Andreas Weigend.
- Algorithmia: Building a web site explorer in 5 easy steps - Apr 20, 2015.
We show how to use Algorithmia for quickly building a functional web site explorer in 5 steps: GetLinks, PageRank, Url2text, Summarizer and AutoTag.
- PAW San Francisco 5 Min Recap – Predictive Analytics World - Apr 20, 2015.
PAW San Francisco: 550+ Data Professionals, 85+ conference sessions, 4 conferences, Dean Abbott on 3-legged stool of good data, domain expertise, and advanced analytics, and more.
- Top stories for Apr 12-18: Awesome Public Datasets on GitHub; Cloud Machine Learning Wars: Amazon vs IBM Watson vs Microsoft Azure - Apr 19, 2015.
Awesome Public Datasets on GitHub; Preventing Overfitting in Neural Networks; Cloud Machine Learning Wars: Amazon vs IBM Watson vs Microsoft Azure; The Grammar of Data Science: Python vs R.
- Top LinkedIn Groups for Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science – from “Big Bang” to Now - Apr 19, 2015.
We examine top LinkedIn groups in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science from the Big Bang era of group creation to present, and identify the largest groups, the fastest growing groups, and 2 main clusters.
- Cartoon: A solution for Data Scientists allergies caused by Big Data - Apr 17, 2015.
With more and more allergies and big trend towards gluten-free everything, new KDnuggets cartoon envisions a possible solution for Data Scientists allergies.
- Interview: Ksenija Draskovic, Verizon on Conquering Fear and Cherishing Creativity for Success in Data Science - Apr 17, 2015.
We discuss career advice, motivation, key qualities sought in Data Science practitioners, and more.
- Ventana Predictive Analytics Research, take part and get exclusive report - Apr 17, 2015.
Our partner Ventana Research is conducting research into the next generation of predictive analytics. Tell us about your analytics experience and methods and get Amazon certificate and also free report with findings and best practices.
- Data Science 101: Preventing Overfitting in Neural Networks - Apr 17, 2015.
Overfitting is a major problem for Predictive Analytics and especially for Neural Networks. Here is an overview of key methods to avoid overfitting, including regularization (L2 and L1), Max norm constraints and Dropout.
- Interview: Ksenija Draskovic, Verizon on How to Not Get Lost in the Big Data Wilderness - Apr 16, 2015.
We discuss recommendations for data-driven decision making, challenges and benefits of using unstructured data, managing expectations and key trends.
- Cloud Machine Learning Wars: Amazon vs IBM Watson vs Microsoft Azure - Apr 16, 2015.
Amazon recently announced Amazon Machine Learning, a cloud machine learning solution for Amazon Web Services. Able to pull data effortlessly from RDS, S3 and Redshift, the product could pose a significant threat to Microsoft Azure ML and IBM Watson Analytics.
- Math of Ideas: A Word is Worth a Thousand Vectors - Apr 16, 2015.
Word vectors give us a simple and flexible platform for understanding text, there are a few diverse examples that should help build your confidence in developing and deploying NLP systems and what problems they can solve.
- The State of the Text Analytics Industry – 2015 White Paper - Apr 16, 2015.
This free whitepaper gives the perspectives of industry experts from leading firms on the culture, benefits, challenges, data and technology currently impacting the text analytics market today.
- Domo: From Big Data to Big Decisions Infographic and BI Guide - Apr 15, 2015.
A new business intelligence guide by DOMO called From Big Data To Better Decisions details the growing importance of collecting, understanding, and applying data to make better decisions.
- Interview: Ksenija Draskovic, Verizon on Dissecting the Anatomy of Predictive Analytics Projects - Apr 15, 2015.
We discuss Predictive Analytics use cases at Verizon Wireless, advantages of a unified data view, model selection and common causes of failure.
- Baby Boom: Udemy Excel Tutorial on Analyzing Large Data Sets - Apr 15, 2015.
This tutorial not only shows how to use Excel Pivot Tables and Graphs, but teaches the mindset needed in exploratory data analysis - look beneath the surface, consider the non-obvious interpretations, and question everything (including the data).
- Webinar: Implementing a Better Search Experience, April 28 - Apr 15, 2015.
Learn how to make SharePoint more than a place where you put documents and start transforming your collected knowledge into your *collective* knowledge.
- Top /r/MachineLearning Posts, Apr 5-11: Amazon Machine Learning, Numerical Optimization, and Conditional Random Fields - Apr 14, 2015.
Amazon Machine Learning as a Service, Numerical Optimization, Extracting data from NYTimes recipes, Intro to Machine Learning with sci-kit, and more.
- Interview: Michael Lurye, Time Warner Cable on Key Lessons from Shifting to Hadoop - Apr 14, 2015.
We discuss the key lessons from shifting to Hadoop, data management in today’s world, future of Data Science, advice and more.
- Provalis Research WordStat for Stata combines Numerical, Text Analysis - Apr 14, 2015.
This new collaboration couples the cutting-edge numerical analysis of Stata with the unique text analytics functionality of Provalis Research.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Apr 6-13: Languages have more “happy” words, esp. Spanish; Popular similarity measures in Python - Apr 14, 2015.
Languages have more "happy" words than unhappy; 5 most popular #similarity measures implementation in Python; Brilliant! Dilbert on Resume embellishing: if engineer, fire him; if marketer ...; Top programming languages change rapidly: SQL, C#, C++ down, Python, Node.js up.
- TDWI Chicago Special Offer – Respond by Apr 17 - Apr 14, 2015.
A special invitation and discount for you and your team to attend TDWI Chicago, May 3-8. Join leading industry experts, analysts, practitioners, and solution providers who deliver a world-class education program.
- Interview: Michael Lurye, Time Warner Cable on Big Data and the Insatiable Demand for BI - Apr 13, 2015.
We discuss EDM at Time Warner Cable, data sources, complementing legacy data warehouses with Big Data solutions, vendor selection and build vs. buy decision.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – Apr 14 and beyond - Apr 13, 2015.
Women in Data, Business Value from Big Data Quickly, Impact of User-Generated Reviews on Purchase Behavior, Maximizing ROI using Data Science, Apache Ignite, and much more.
- UMass Amherst Big Data Report - Apr 13, 2015.
New report from UMass Amherst covers the strength of Massachusetts and UMass 5 campuses in Big Data and Data Science, and projects 120K Big Data related jobs in Mass by 2018.
- KDnuggets Free Pass to Strata Hadoop World London, 5-7 May, 2015 - Apr 13, 2015.
Strata + Hadoop World has been called "mind-blowing", "an amazing event", "the most interesting and informative conference". Win free registration via KDnuggets.
- NYC Data Science Academy Bootcamps, Classes on R, Python, and Machine Learning - Apr 13, 2015.
NYC Data Science Academy upcoming schedule includes 7 bootcamp events and 4 classes on Data Science, R, Python, and Machine Learning. Register now.
- CourseBuffet: Organizing MOOC Courses on Big Data, Data Science, Statistics - Apr 12, 2015.
CourseBuffet organizes MOOCs in a course catalog format and includes over 100 courses on Big Data, Data Mining, Data Science, and Statistics.
- Top stories for Apr 5-11: 10 things statistics taught us about big data analysis; Awesome Public Datasets on GitHub - Apr 12, 2015.
10 things statistics taught us about big data analysis; The Grammar of Data Science: Python vs R; Predictive Analytics Innovation Summit (San Diego) Highlights; Awesome Public Datasets on GitHub.
- Wikibon Big Data Vendor Revenue and Market Forecast, 2020 - Apr 11, 2015.
Wikibon finds that Big Data market is maturing, with growth rate slowing from 60% in 2013 to 40% in 2014. Wikibon expects the Big Data market to top $61 billion in 2020.
- Join us for Predictive Analytics Events in Chicago June 2015 - Apr 10, 2015.
The leading, world-renowned events in predictive analytics are coming to Chicago this June. Build your skillset and knowledge, learn from experts, great networking opportunities. Early bird rates until Apr 24.
- Interview: Xia Wang, AstraZeneca on Big Data and the Promise of Effective Healthcare - Apr 10, 2015.
We discuss challenges in analyzing text data, Big Data impact on translational bioinformatics, advice, desired skills in data scientists, and more.
- Top /r/MachineLearning Posts, Mar 29-Apr 4: Andrew Ng AMA, Deep Learning for NLP, and OpenCL Convnets - Apr 10, 2015.
Andrew Ng's upcoming AMA, scikit-learn updates, Richard Socher's Deep Learning NLP videos, Criteo's huge new dataset, and convolutional neural networks on OpenCL are the top topics discussed this week on /r/MachineLearning.
- March 2015 Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining Acquisitions and Startups Activity - Apr 9, 2015.
March 2015 acquisitions, startups, and company activity in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science: Apple buys Acunu, Algorithmia Launches, Dataminr raises $130M, PatentVector, Looker, and more.
- Algorithmia – How Marketplaces are Fostering Innovation? - Apr 9, 2015.
We have a marketplace for almost everything – mobile apps, cabs, hotels, and what not. But, not for algorithms. Algorithmia takes up that challenge.
- Interview: Xia Wang, AstraZeneca on Unraveling Patient Treatment Journey by NLP on Clinical Notes - Apr 9, 2015.
We discuss Analytics at AstraZeneca, prominent use cases, how NLP helped understanding patient treatment journey in diabetes, data sources, insights, and more.
- Inside Deep Learning: Computer Vision With Convolutional Neural Networks - Apr 9, 2015.
Deep Learning-powered image recognition is now performing better than human vision on many tasks. We examine how human and computer vision extracts features from raw pixels, and explain how deep convolutional neural networks work so well.
- What do you want to learn? Big Data TechCon How-To Conference, Apr 26-28, Boston - Apr 9, 2015.
Our survey ahead of Big Data Techcon conference in Boston find most interest in learning Predictive analytics, Data visualization, Spark, Deep learning / Machine Learning, Hadoop and other components of Hadoop stack, and Python.
- Machine Learning 201: Does Balancing Classes Improve Classifier Performance? - Apr 9, 2015.
The author investigates if balancing classes improves performance for logistic regression, SVM, and Random Forests, and finds where it helps the performance and where it does not.
- Interview: Ravi Iyer, Ranker on Dealing with Inherent Bias in Crowdsourcing Data - Apr 8, 2015.
We discuss the challenges of analyzing crowdsourcing data, tools and technologies, competitive landscape, advice, trends, and more.
- Predictive Analytics Innovation Summit, San Diego: Day 2 Highlights - Apr 8, 2015.
Highlights from the presentations by Predictive Analytics leaders from eBay, LinkedIn and Facebook on day 2 of Predictive Analytics Innovation Summit 2015 in San Diego.
- Top stories in March: 7 common Machine Learning mistakes; Deep Learning for Text Understanding from Scratch - Apr 7, 2015.
7 common mistakes when doing Machine Learning; Deep Learning for Text Understanding from Scratch; More Free Data Mining, Data Science Books and Resources; The Grammar of Data Science: Python vs R.
- Interview: Ravi Iyer, Ranker on Why Crowdsourcing Needs Data Science - Apr 7, 2015.
We discuss the dynamics of Ranker crowdsourcing platform, key factors for effectiveness, role of data science in crowdsourcing, and more.
- Predictive Analytics Innovation Summit, San Diego: Day 1 Highlights - Apr 7, 2015.
Highlights from the presentations by Predictive Analytics leaders from The Data Incubator, Tamr, Sony and Facebook on day 1 of Predictive Analytics Innovation Summit 2015 in San Diego.
- Be Smarter Than Your Devices: Learn About Big Data - Apr 7, 2015.
If the Apple Watch rollout proves anything, it might be this: Going forward, we’ll all have to be as smart about data as our devices. Also, learn about the origins of "Big Data" term.
- Wharton Successful Applications of Customer Analytics Conf., Apr 30, Philadelphia - Apr 7, 2015.
Wharton Customer Analytics Initiative (WCAI) helps define Customer Analytics, with conference dedicated to real-world applications that balance high-level rigor and business know-how. Case studies include Nielsen, Google, Cablevision, and MLB.
- ICDM 2015: Nobel Prize Winner, Machine Learning Guru, and Facebook Data Scientist to Keynote - Apr 7, 2015.
Nobel Prize Winner, Machine Learning Guru, and Facebook Data Scientist will be keynote speakers for the 2015 IEEE International Conference on Data Mining series (ICDM).
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Apr 2-5: The Data Science ecosystem: Data wrangling useful tools and tips - Apr 6, 2015.
The #datascience ecosystem part 2: Data wrangling useful tools and tips; 10 R Packages to Win Kaggle Competitions; Forrester Wave #BigData Predictive #Analytics Solutions 2015, gainers, losers; How Microsoft uses Big Data to predict traffic jams in advance.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – Apr 7 and beyond - Apr 6, 2015.
More Accurate Predictive Analytic Models, Enterprise Data Rapid Sense-making, Data Mining - Failure to Launch, Disrupting Traditional Analyst Workflows, Making Sense of Hadoop, and more.
- WCAI Research Opportunity, Apr 24: He Said, She Bought – User-Generated Reviews and Purchase Behavior - Apr 6, 2015.
The data collected by a UK-based big box retailer, with all website visits, page views, reviews read, and purchases made gives researchers an unprecedented opportunity to look at how customers shop for products. Register for the webinar on Apr 24.
- Women Analytics Book Authors – Meta List - Apr 6, 2015.
Meta Brown is mission to promote accomplished women in analytics - her catalog includes hundreds of women who published books on many analytics topics - useful for finding experts to present at your event, comment on an issue or work for you.
- Awesome Public Datasets on GitHub - Apr 6, 2015.
A long, categorized list of large datasets (available for public use) to try your analytics skills on. Which one would you pick?
- Interview: Beth Diaz, Washington Post on How Dark Social is Shadowing Modern Analytics - Apr 6, 2015.
We discuss recent events at Washington Post, growth initiatives, the growing pain of Dark Social, how to deal with it, audience analytics, advice and more.
- Top stories for Mar 29 – Apr 4: Deep Learning, Dimensionality, and Autoencoders; The Grammar of Data Science: Python vs R - Apr 5, 2015.
Deep Learning, The Curse of Dimensionality, and Autoencoders; The Grammar of Data Science: Python vs R; Data Science as a profession - time is now; Forrester Wave Big Data Predictive Analytics 2015: Gainers and Losers.
- Additions to KDnuggets Directory in March 2015 - Apr 5, 2015.
TDWI Chicago, XLDB 2015, Text Analytics East, Sentiment Symposium NYC, Sliderule Intro to Data Science, U.Pacific MS in Analytics, ReportMiner, MoData, Iepy open-source Info Extraction, and more meetings, companies, education, and software.
- Poll: Machine Learning APIs - Apr 4, 2015.
Poll from Bart Baesens at KU Leuven asks about your usage of Machine Learning APIs and other predictive analytics tools.
- Blockspring: Out-run programmers with your spreadsheet - Apr 4, 2015.
Blockspring for Google Sheets lets you run over 1000 functions from your spreadsheets - create interactive data visualizations, run algorithms, pull data sources, execute db queries, automate tweets and emails, make API calls, and more.
- Big Data Developer Conference, Santa Clara: Day 3 Highlights - Apr 3, 2015.
Highlights from the presentations/tutorials by Data Science leaders from VISA, Glassbeam, Unravel on day 3 of Big Data Developer Conference, Santa Clara.
- Interview: Alessandro Gagliardi, Glassdoor on the Fun and Boring Part of Data Scientist Job - Apr 3, 2015.
We discuss interesting trends, motivation, different aspects of data scientist job, advice, and more.
- Watson Developer Cloud-Visual Recognition - Apr 3, 2015.
IBM Bluemix is a cloud platform which offers both Platform as a Service and Mobile Backend as a Service. Its services include Speech to Text, Text to Speech, Visual Recognition, Concept Insights, and Tradeoff Analytics.
- Forrester Wave(tm) Big Data Predictive Analytics 2015: Gainers and Losers - Apr 3, 2015.
IBM, SAS, and SAP lead in Forrester Wave(tm) Big Data Predictive Analytics Solutions for Q2, 2015. We compare with a previous Forrester Wave for 2013 and examine gainers and losers.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Mar 30 – Apr 01: Very useful! Data Visualization with ggplot2 CheatSheet - Apr 2, 2015.
Very useful! Data Visualization with ggplot2 Cheat Sheet; Great Data Science resource: Intro to Statistics using Python, Pandas; 14 Best Python Pandas Features; Data Science shows why taxis can never compete.
- Chapter Download from “Data Mining Techniques” (3rd edition) - Apr 2, 2015.
Download this chapter from "Data Mining Techniques" (3rd Edition), by Gordon Linoff and Michael Berry, and learn how to create derived variables, which allow the statistical modeling process to incorporate human insights.
- Big Data Developer Conference, Santa Clara: Day 2 Highlights - Apr 2, 2015.
Highlights from the presentations/tutorials by Data Science leaders from Cloudera, LinkedIn, Intel, MapR, Locbit and others on day 2 of Big Data Developer Conference 2015.
- 100+ upcoming April – October 2015 Meetings in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, Data Science - Apr 2, 2015.
Coming soon: INFORMS Business Analytics, PASS Business Analytics, Big Data Week, Text by the Bay, Big Data Techcon, Big Data Innovation Summit, Wharton Successful Applications of Customer Analytics, and many more.
- Text By the Bay conference, San Francisco, Apr 24-25 - Apr 2, 2015.
The inaugural Text By the Bay conference has an amazing program, with speakers from top universities, Big text data powerhouses, Growing global players, Startups, Text/NLP tech providers, and more. KDnuggets discount.
- Pacific 1-year MS in Analytics in San Francisco - Apr 2, 2015.
Get MS in Analytics in San Francisco: 1-year flexible hybrid program for working professionals, Industry sponsored cases and projects, State of the art facilities and technology - learn more.
- Hazy Forecast for Consumer Privacy in the Next Decade - Apr 2, 2015.
Majority of experts felt that developing a privacy framework that would be both popular and functional was next to impossible in the near future. With time, privacy is likely tol become a class issue with consumers who have the money having the ability to secure their data better.
- Hadoop as a Service: 18 Cloud Options - Apr 2, 2015.
Hadoop as a service in the cloud makes big data applications and projects easier to approach and these 18 platforms each provide their own unique solutions.
- Big Data Developer Conference, Santa Clara: Day 1 Highlights - Apr 1, 2015.
Highlights from the presentations/tutorials by Data Science leaders from ElephantScale, SciSpike, Twitter and Informatica on day 1 of Big Data Developer Conference, Santa Clara
- Interview: Alessandro Gagliardi, Glassdoor on the Indispensable Skills for Data Scientists - Apr 1, 2015.
We discuss Analytics at Glassdoor, important lessons, major factors affecting job satisfaction, challenges of working on Twitter Data, indispensable components of Data Science education.
- Gold Mine or Blind Alley? Functional Programming for Big Data & Machine Learning - Apr 1, 2015.
Functional programming is touted as a solution for big data problems. Why is it advantageous? Why might it not be? And who is using it now?
- A Data Scientist Advice to Business Schools - Apr 1, 2015.
To remain relevant business school graduates must learn to speak to Data Scientists, whose domain expertise is playing a vital role in an organization's ability to compete in today's market.
- Big Data for the Common Good “Collider”, at Frankfurt / Berkeley - Apr 1, 2015.
The Frankfurt Big Data Lab and ODBMS.org cooperate with the Center for Entrepreneurship & Technology (CET) at UC Berkeley to enable the creation of project proposals for Big Data for the Common Good.
- Computing Platforms for Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science - Apr 1, 2015.
The poll results suggest a split between a majority of data miners and data scientists who work with growing but still "PC-size", small GB-sized data, and a smaller group of Big Data analysts who work with cloud-sized data. Cloud computing, Unix, and especially Mac gained in popularity.