2015 Apr News, Features
All (122) | Courses, Education (9) | Meetings (11) | News, Features (19) | Opinions, Interviews, Reports (44) | Publications (14) | Software (11) | Top Tweets (5) | Webcasts (9)
- Kaggle Competition (Facebook recruiting): Human or Robot? - Apr 28, 2015.
Facebook and Kaggle are launching an Engineering competition for 2015 - leaders will earn an opportunity to interview for a software engineer at Facebook, working on world class Machine Learning problems. In this competition, you'll be chasing down robots for an online auction site.
- Top /r/MachineLearning Posts, Apr 19-25: Neural nets for nipple detection; NHL Goal celebration hack - Apr 27, 2015.
Convolutional neural nets and Android App for nipple detection (NSFW), NHL goal detection, Geoff Hinton recent AI talk, top machine learning podcasts, and matrix multiplication in deep learning.
- Top stories for Apr 19-25: Top LinkedIn Groups for Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining; 10 R Packages for a Kaggle Champion - Apr 26, 2015.
Top LinkedIn Groups for Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science - from "Big Bang to Now"; Top 10 R Packages to be a Kaggle Champion; Deep Learning to Fight Crime.
- Top /r/MachineLearning Posts, Apr 12-18: Andrew Ng AMA, Autoencoders, and Deep Learning Textbooks - Apr 23, 2015.
Andrew Ng's AMA, a probabilistic view of Autoencoders, open source sentiment analysis, deep learning textbooks, and Airbnb's host matching are all discussed this week on /r/MachineLearning.
- KDnuggets Poll: Future of Predictive Analytics: Human or Machine? - Apr 21, 2015.
The robots are taking over many jobs - will they take yours and mine? New KDnuggets Poll is asking if and when automation will reach the level of human data scientists.
- Top stories for Apr 12-18: Awesome Public Datasets on GitHub; Cloud Machine Learning Wars: Amazon vs IBM Watson vs Microsoft Azure - Apr 19, 2015.
Awesome Public Datasets on GitHub; Preventing Overfitting in Neural Networks; Cloud Machine Learning Wars: Amazon vs IBM Watson vs Microsoft Azure; The Grammar of Data Science: Python vs R.
- Top LinkedIn Groups for Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science – from “Big Bang” to Now - Apr 19, 2015.
We examine top LinkedIn groups in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science from the Big Bang era of group creation to present, and identify the largest groups, the fastest growing groups, and 2 main clusters.
- Cartoon: A solution for Data Scientists allergies caused by Big Data - Apr 17, 2015.
With more and more allergies and big trend towards gluten-free everything, new KDnuggets cartoon envisions a possible solution for Data Scientists allergies.
- Top /r/MachineLearning Posts, Apr 5-11: Amazon Machine Learning, Numerical Optimization, and Conditional Random Fields - Apr 14, 2015.
Amazon Machine Learning as a Service, Numerical Optimization, Extracting data from NYTimes recipes, Intro to Machine Learning with sci-kit, and more.
- Top stories for Apr 5-11: 10 things statistics taught us about big data analysis; Awesome Public Datasets on GitHub - Apr 12, 2015.
10 things statistics taught us about big data analysis; The Grammar of Data Science: Python vs R; Predictive Analytics Innovation Summit (San Diego) Highlights; Awesome Public Datasets on GitHub.
- Top /r/MachineLearning Posts, Mar 29-Apr 4: Andrew Ng AMA, Deep Learning for NLP, and OpenCL Convnets - Apr 10, 2015.
Andrew Ng's upcoming AMA, scikit-learn updates, Richard Socher's Deep Learning NLP videos, Criteo's huge new dataset, and convolutional neural networks on OpenCL are the top topics discussed this week on /r/MachineLearning.
- March 2015 Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining Acquisitions and Startups Activity - Apr 9, 2015.
March 2015 acquisitions, startups, and company activity in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science: Apple buys Acunu, Algorithmia Launches, Dataminr raises $130M, PatentVector, Looker, and more.
- Top stories in March: 7 common Machine Learning mistakes; Deep Learning for Text Understanding from Scratch - Apr 7, 2015.
7 common mistakes when doing Machine Learning; Deep Learning for Text Understanding from Scratch; More Free Data Mining, Data Science Books and Resources; The Grammar of Data Science: Python vs R.
- Top stories for Mar 29 – Apr 4: Deep Learning, Dimensionality, and Autoencoders; The Grammar of Data Science: Python vs R - Apr 5, 2015.
Deep Learning, The Curse of Dimensionality, and Autoencoders; The Grammar of Data Science: Python vs R; Data Science as a profession - time is now; Forrester Wave Big Data Predictive Analytics 2015: Gainers and Losers.
- Additions to KDnuggets Directory in March 2015 - Apr 5, 2015.
TDWI Chicago, XLDB 2015, Text Analytics East, Sentiment Symposium NYC, Sliderule Intro to Data Science, U.Pacific MS in Analytics, ReportMiner, MoData, Iepy open-source Info Extraction, and more meetings, companies, education, and software.
- Poll: Machine Learning APIs - Apr 4, 2015.
Poll from Bart Baesens at KU Leuven asks about your usage of Machine Learning APIs and other predictive analytics tools.
- Forrester Wave(tm) Big Data Predictive Analytics 2015: Gainers and Losers - Apr 3, 2015.
IBM, SAS, and SAP lead in Forrester Wave(tm) Big Data Predictive Analytics Solutions for Q2, 2015. We compare with a previous Forrester Wave for 2013 and examine gainers and losers.
- Big Data for the Common Good “Collider”, at Frankfurt / Berkeley - Apr 1, 2015.
The Frankfurt Big Data Lab and ODBMS.org cooperate with the Center for Entrepreneurship & Technology (CET) at UC Berkeley to enable the creation of project proposals for Big Data for the Common Good.
- Computing Platforms for Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science - Apr 1, 2015.
The poll results suggest a split between a majority of data miners and data scientists who work with growing but still "PC-size", small GB-sized data, and a smaller group of Big Data analysts who work with cloud-sized data. Cloud computing, Unix, and especially Mac gained in popularity.