- Adv BADM: Advanced Business Analytics, Data Mining and Predictive Modeling, 174362 members, 49% growth
- BI Pros: Business Intelligence Professionals, 150147 members, 21% growth
- BDASFI: Big Data | Analytics | Strategy | Finance | Innovation , 128805 members, 41% growth
- BD & A: Big Data and Analytics, 120776 members, 68% growth
- Biz An: Business Analytics, 70326 members, 37% growth
- DMSBD: Data Mining, Statistics, Big Data, and Data Visualization, 68539 members, 62% growth
- SAC: Statistics & Analytics Consultants Group, 46481 members, 38% growth
- BD pros: BIG DATA Professionals - Architects Scientists IOT Analytics, 45443 members, 54% growth
- BDAHN: Big Data, Analytics, Hadoop, NoSQL & Cloud Computing, 33139 members, 112% growth
- DW/BD/H: Data Warehouse / Big Data / Hadoop / Predictive Analytics, 32994 members, 19% growth
We note the remarkable growth of Adv BADM group, which overtook BI Pros for the title of the largest LinkedIn group in this area.
Here are the 10 groups with the fastest growth from Q1 2014 to Q1 2015.
- Data Science & Machine Learning (DS & ML), 165% growth, created 10-Dec-11
- RDataMining: R and Data Mining (RDM), 142%, created 30-Aug-11
- Big Data, Analytics, Hadoop, NoSQL & Cloud Computing (BDAHN), 112%, created 6-Jul-11
- Data Scientists (DScient), 107%, created 8-Jun-09
- KDnuggets Analytics, Data Mining, and Data Science (KDnuggets), 79%, created 3-Feb-10 (*)
- Predictive Analytics Network (PAN), 71%, created 16-Mar-09
- Big Data and Analytics (BD & A), 68%, created 1-Mar-12
- IBM Big Data and Analytics (IBM BDA), 66%, created 22-Jul-11
- Machine Learning and Data Science (ML/DSC), 65%, created 10-Feb-12
- Data Mining, Statistics, Big Data, and Data Visualization (DMSBD), 62%, created 25-Jul-08.
Not surprisingly, most of these fast growing groups are newer, founded in 2011/2012.
The chart below shows group growth vs month created. Color corresponds to growth rate in 2014 vs 2013 - redder is faster, bluer is slower. Group name abbreviations are in the table below.
Fig 4: Top LinkedIn Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science Groups, Growth rate 14Q1 to 15Q1 vs month created.
We again note two clusters of groups - "old" groups, created in the first "burst" of activity in 2008-9, and newer groups, launched in 2011-12.
Finally, looking at the growth vs size
we note a cluster of smaller and mostly older groups near the origin,
and a bunch of groups on the "frontier" of the chart that stand out,
either by their large size or their fast growth. Those are the groups in the 2 lists above.
Fig 5: Top LinkedIn Groups in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science, Growth vs Size, 2015Q1
Next, is the table with all the group membership and growth data.
Here are the 10 largest groups (by membership as of Mar 30, 2015), and their growth in the 12 months from Mar 30, 2014 to Mar 30, 2015.