CRN 2015 Big Data Infrastructure Companies
The CRN identifies top 25 big data infrastructure, tools and service companies offering everything from hardware servers, to software platforms and applications, to cloud-based services. The list includes major players in the big data space like Microsoft, Amazon, and IBM!
The top 25 Big Data Infrastructure companies, part of CRN Big Data 100, are leading vendors that have successfully helped businesses work with big data by bringing to the market next-generation data management and infrastructure technologies. Innovation is what differentiates each of them!
A striking trend to notice in the list is that most of these companies are competing to provide the flexible, easier-to-manage cloud based data warehousing services as an alternative to traditional on-premise systems. Businesses can leverage these capabilities and thereby, reduce costs and development times associated with on-premise systems.
Here is a word cloud representing the most common & significant words in the list of companies description.
As many as 8 companies in the list are best known for their leading data storage technology equipped with massively parallel processing engines & database, while some others are known for providing security to the huge volumes of data stored.
A majority of these companies have broad product lines and provide development tools with a focus on Hadoop applications. These include tools for Hadoop administration, data governance, security, big data management, data integration, business intelligence, rapid deployment tools for Hadoop and other software/hardware platforms for enterprise data processing.
In the list below, companies which were not in CRN 2014 Big Data Infrastructure Companies list are indicated with .
- Altiscale is one of several competing startups that provide Hadoop-as-a-Service. The company's Altiscale Data Cloud is an on-demand, pay-as-you-go service based on the Hadoop big data platform. Palo Alto, CA. Founded in 2012.
- Amazon Web Services is best known as a cloud service for storing data, the company has been steadily expanding the range of big data-related services it provides. They include the Amazon DynamoDB NoSQL database; Amazon RDS relational database; Amazon Kinesis service for realtime processing and analysis of streaming data; the Amazon Redshift petabyte-scale data warehouse; Amazon Glacier for archival data storage; and Amazon Elastic MapReduce, which provides the Hadoop framework through Amazon's Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) service. Global (11 locations). Founded 2006.
- BlueData Software emerged from stealth mode, debuting its BlueData EPIC software platform that uses virtualization technology to make it easier, faster and more cost-effective for businesses to leverage big data by deploying Hadoop-as-a-Service in an on-premises model. Mountain View, CA. Founded 2012.
- Cask is an open-source software company that provides development tools for Hadoop applications and data. The Cask Data Application Platform is used to build, deploy and manage big data applications. Palo Alto, CA. Founded 2011.
- Cloudera is one of the leading providers of Hadoop and related software and services. The company's flagship Cloudera Enterprise suite includes tools for Hadoop administration, data governance and security. Palo Alto, CA. Founded 2008.
- Concurrent positions itself as a leading supplier of infrastructure software that businesses use to develop, deploy, run and manage big data applications. San Francisco, CA. Founded 2008.
- Confluent is developing a commercial streaming data platform based on Apache Kafka, the Apache Software Foundation's open-source message broker software. Mountain View, CA. Founded 2014.
- DataGravity last debuted its DataGravity Discover Series of "data-aware" storage appliances after two years of development that not only help businesses manage their data, but provide search-and-discovery capabilities to help them understand how the data is being used. Nashua, NH. Founded 2012.
- Dataguise targets its DgSecure data security intelligence and protection software toward organizations in health care, financial services, government and other industries. The vendor’s automated discovery, data masking, encryption and risk-assessment software runs within Hadoop, NoSQL databases and other big data environments. Fremont, CA. Founded 2007.
- Dell has been steadily building its lineup of big data software, including the Boomi AtomSphere data integration software, and the Statistica business intelligence and predictive analytics software, the latter it acquired when it bought StatSoft. Austin, TX. Founded 1984.
- EMC's data storage systems, including the Isilon and VMAX lines, by themselves position the company as a major player in the big data space. But the company is also deeply into the analytics and applications side of the big data equation. Hopkinton, MA. Founded 1979.
- Hewlett-Packard markets a range of server, storage, and other hardware and system software products that form the foundation of big data systems. At the same time, it has been expanding its lineup of higher-level software for specific data management and analysis applications. Palo Alto, CA. Founded 1939.
- Hortonworks offers the Hortonworks Data Platform, a distribution of Apache Hadoop combined with tools for data management, integration, security, provisioning and other software for enterprise data processing. Palo Alto, CA. Founded 2011.
- IBM has products that span all facets of big data, including business analytics tools such as Cognos and SPSS; data management software such as its DB2 database and InfoSphere data integration system; and hardware platforms such as IBM PureData powered by Netezza technology and the Watson supercomputer. Armonk, NY. Founded 1911.
- MapR Technologies competes with Cloudera, Hortonworks and other vendors in the Hadoop arena, building on its distribution of Hadoop and other open-source Apache software to create a complete big data platform for both operational and analytical purposes. San Jose, CA. Founded 2015.
- Microsoft has been growing its big data software lineup in recent years. At the platform level, the company offers its widely deployed SQL Server database with built-in business intelligence capabilities, as well as its Azure HDInsight Hadoop-based service. Redmond, WA. Founded 1975.
- Oracle's relational database remains the company's flagship product. But the vendor offers a deep stack of big data technology from hardware such as the Exadata Database Machine and Big Data Appliance, to NoSQL and in-memory databases, business intelligence and advanced analytics software, and analytical applications. Redwood city, CA. Founded 1977.
- Pepperdata has developed a realtime cluster optimizer for Hadoop that monitors and controls all hardware usage (CPU, disk I/O, memory and networks). That helps IT departments better manage jobs running on Hadoop and get the most out of their Hadoop deployments. Sunnyvale, CA. Founded 2012.
- Pivotal is the big data joint venture between storage giant EMC and VMware. Pivotal's mission is to create software applications that leverage "big and fast data" on a single, cloud-independent platform. Palo Alto, CA. Founded 2013.
- Qubole is one of several startups that offer a big data Hadoop-as-a-Service platform. The Qubole Data Service runs on Amazon AWS, the Google Compute Engine and Microsoft Azure. Mountain View, CA. Founded 2012.
- Snowflake Computing is positioning as a more flexible, easier-to-manage alternative to traditional on-premise data warehouse systems. It's also competing with other cloud data warehouse offerings such as Amazon Web Service's Redshift and Google's Big Query. San Mateo, CA. Founded 2012.
- Sqrrl's founders came from the super-secret National Security Agency and helped develop that organization's massive database. The Sqrrl Enterprise database offers column, graph and document store capabilities to power big data applications. The product's real forte is its ability to scale up and provide data security at the cell level. Cambridge, MA. Founded 2012.
- Syncsort in 1968 developing software for mainframe computers. Under former IBM and CA Technologies executive Jaffe, the company has been reinventing itself as a provider of big data integration and transformation tools for Hadoop and other platforms. Woodcliff Lake, NJ. Founded 1968.
- Teradata supplies a broad range of products, including the Teradata Data Warehouse Appliance and Teradata Aster Discovery Platform, as well as a broad portfolio of analytical applications. Dayton, OH. Founded 1979.
- Treasure Data offers a cloud-based data warehouse (data analytics Platform-as-a-Service) that operates on a subscription model. The idea is to provide sophisticated data warehouse capabilities to businesses without the huge costs and development times associated with on-premise systems. Mountain View, CA. Founded 2011.
Original post: 2015 Big Data 100: Infrastructure, Tools And Services
Top Stories Past 30 Days