2015 Sep News, Features
All (103) | Courses, Education (10) | Meetings (15) | News, Features (22) | Opinions, Interviews, Reports (24) | Publications (6) | Software (9) | Top Tweets (5) | Tutorials, Overviews, How-Tos (5) | Webcasts (7)
- Top stories for Sep 20-26: 15 Mathematics MOOCs for Data Science; Support “Talking Machines” – best podcast on Machine Learning - Sep 27, 2015.
15 Mathematics MOOCs for Data Science; Support "Talking Machines" - the best podcast on Machine Learning, Data Science and AI; Spark SQL for Real Time Analytics - Part Two.
- Hadoop Maturity Survey: The Tipping Point - Sep 24, 2015.
AtScale first global Hadoop maturity survey finds Hadoop value greatly increases with nodes deployed; its use for ETL is frequently a transition stage to higher-value Data Science applications.
- MLconf Industry Impact Student Research Award Sponsored by Google - Sep 23, 2015.
The award is for current PhD students or recent graduates whose research is deemed to be useful for solving the problems currently faced in industry. Nominations due Oct 25, 2015.
- O’Reilly Releases 2015 Data Science Salary Survey - Sep 23, 2015.
OReilly survey reveals the tools that successful data scientists and engineers use and how they relate to their salary. Get your copy of the Salary Survey.
- 15 Mathematics MOOCs for Data Science - Sep 23, 2015.
The essential mathematics necessary for Data Science can be acquired with these 15 MOOCs, with a strong emphasis on applied algebra & statistics.
- Top stories for Sep 13-19: Trying to acquire Machine Learning Skills? Deep Learning and Artistic Style - Sep 20, 2015.
Trying to acquire Machine Learning Skills? Deep Learning and Artistic Style - Can art be quantified?; Free Books on Big Data, Data Science.
- Top 10 Quora Machine Learning Writers and Their Best Advice - Sep 18, 2015.
Top Quora machine learning writers give their advice on pursuing a career in the field, academic research, and selecting and using appropriate technologies.
- Top 10 Quora Data Science Writers and Their Best Advice - Sep 17, 2015.
Top Quora data science writers give their advice on pursuing a career in the field, approaching interviews, and selecting appropriate technologies.
- New KDnuggets Homepage with 2 new dynamic sections - Sep 15, 2015.
New KDnuggets homepage includes 2 new dynamic sections, one which shows top stories from last week and second which shows latest stories in 5 different sections. Your suggestions for further improvement are welcome.
- Top stories for Sep 6-12: Top 20 Data Science MOOCs; Free Books on Big Data, Data Science, Data Mining - Sep 13, 2015.
60+ Free Books on Big Data, Data Science, Data Mining, Machine Learning; Top 20 Data Science MOOCs; A Great way to learn Data Science; One language a Data Scientist must master.
- Knight News Challenge on Data opens for ideas, apply by Sep 30 - Sep 13, 2015.
The Knight News Challenge on Data open for ideas - apply by Sep 30, propose projects that use data for good to inform and empower people. Winners will receive a share of $3M.
- Poll Results: Data Scientists don’t stay long in their jobs - Sep 12, 2015.
Job market for Data Scientists is hot - half of them left their previous job after 2 years or less. In a hopeful sign for employers, Data Scientists plan to stay longer in their current job, for all job types.
- Aug 2015 Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, Data Science Acquisitions, Startup roundup - Sep 11, 2015.
Aug 2015 acquisitions, startups, and company activity in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science: HyperVerge, Top 100 by funding, Deep Genomics, Driveway Software, BigML, and many more.
- Top August stories: How to become a Data Scientist for Free; Data is Ugly – Tales of Data Cleaning - Sep 9, 2015.
How to become a Data Scientist for Free; Hype Cycle: Big Data is Out, Machine Learning is in; Data is Ugly - Tales of Data Cleaning; Data Science, Analytics Online Degrees and Certificates.
- Salaries by Roles in Data Science and Business Intelligence - Sep 9, 2015.
Data Scientist is the hottest role. What's next? We present national average salaries, job title progression in career, job trends and skills for popular job titles in Data Science & Business Intelligence. Check out the salaries of related roles.
- Top /r/MachineLearning Posts, August: Deep Learning paints in style of many famous painters - Sep 7, 2015.
Deep Learning algorithm generating paintings in the styles of famous artists, Genetic algorithms pioneer John Holland passes away, Beginner Python data analysis tutorial, LSTM networks explained, and Google Thought Vectors.
- InformationWeek 9 NoSQL Pioneers Who Modernized Data Management - Sep 7, 2015.
The age of Big Data wouldn’t have been possible without these NoSQL. Learn more about NoSQL Pioneers, who changed the data landscape and revolutionized the big data movement.
- Top stories for Aug 30 – Sep 5: Free Books on Big Data, Data Science, Data Mining, … - Sep 6, 2015.
60+ Free Books on Big Data, Data Science, Data Mining, Machine Learning, Python, R, and more; How to become a Data Scientist for Free; The one language a Data Scientist must master.
- Top Datapreneurs in data science - Sep 4, 2015.
A datapreneur is an entrepreneur focused on data science. Here is a great list of datapreneurs who created Data Products, Data Science Services, Data Science Training/Education, and Data Science Communities.
- ICDM 2015 Student Travel Grants - Sep 2, 2015.
ICDM 2015 is able to offer travel grants to full-time students. The purpose of the student travel grants is to encourage graduate student participation at the conference by partially funding the costs of students.
- Cartoon: Big Data in Retirement - Sep 1, 2015.
Now that Gartner has officially "retired" Big Data from its technology hype curve, KDnuggets looks at Big Data in retirement.
- API for Prediction and Machine Learning: poll results and analysis - Sep 1, 2015.
APIs are set procedures which provide easy to use, automated, robust solution to the recurring programming challenges. Here, we analyzed major players in the big data domain are providing machine learning APIs.