2015 Oct News, Features
All (105) | Courses, Education (17) | Meetings (8) | News, Features (19) | Opinions, Interviews, Reports (30) | Publications (7) | Software (2) | Top Tweets (4) | Tutorials, Overviews, How-Tos (11) | Webcasts (7)
- October Academic Positions in Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science, Machine Learning
- Oct 30, 2015.
Academic and research positions at PNNL, U. of Arizona, UCSC, Eastern Michigan University, Florida Institute of Technology, USF CA, UIC, and U. of Iowa.
- Top stories for Oct 18-24: R vs Python: head to head data analysis; Big Data + Wrong Method = Big Fail
- Oct 25, 2015.
R vs Python: head to head data analysis; The Best Advice From Quora on How to Learn Machine Learning; Big Data + Wrong Method = Big Fail; Infographic - Data Scientist or Business Analyst? Knowing the Difference.
- Cartoon: KDnuggets Addiction
- Oct 24, 2015.
New Cartoon looks at a serious case of KDnuggets addiction and what can be done about it.
- The Data Science Machine, or ‘How To Engineer Feature Engineering’
- Oct 22, 2015.
MIT researchers have developed what they refer to as the Data Science Machine, which combines feature engineering and an end-to-end data science pipeline into a system that beats nearly 70% of humans in competitions. Is this game-changing?
- Unlock the Power of Spark with IBM Watson and Twitter
- Oct 22, 2015.
Spark is everywhere, including in IBM's cloud infrastructure. Read up on using Spark for Twitter analysis, and how it fits in with Watson and BlueMix.
- Spark + SETI: Amping up Spark SQL with Parquets
- Oct 21, 2015.
Spark SQL is a great component for data scientists as it simplifies the querying large distributed datasets. Learn how to integrate it with Parquets, which we have found to significantly improve the performance of sparse-column queries.
- 2015 Updated Analytics Compensation and Demographics
- Oct 21, 2015.
Burtch Works Study recently released updated salaries and demographic information on 1,757 Predictive Analytics Professionals (PAPs) across the US which include the work experience, residency, education and etc.
- New Poll: Should Data Science Include Ethics Training?
- Oct 20, 2015.
New poll is examining the question of Ethics and Data Science. Are Data Scientists more like physicians who take The Hippocratic Oath or more like Mathematicians, who work with numbers? Please vote.
- Top stories for Oct 11-17: R vs Python: head2head data analysis; Quora best advice: How to Learn Machine Learning
- Oct 18, 2015.
R vs Python: head to head data analysis; Best Advice From Quora: How to Learn Machine Learning; How Big Data Helps Build Smart Cities; Best Data Science Online Courses.
- Big Data for Social Good: UC Berkeley and Geisinger Health Collider Project
- Oct 17, 2015.
The Geisinger Health Collider Project gives participating students first-hand experience with various techniques, ideas, and challenges stemming from clinical informatics by using real clinical data to address impactful problems in healthcare.
- Aspect Based Sentiment Analysis Competition
- Oct 13, 2015.
SemEval is back and so is the Aspect Based Sentiment Analysis (ABSA) competition, which has gone multilingual for ABSA16. Get all of the details below.
- Top stories for Oct 4-10: 5 steps to actually learn data science; 90+ Active Blogs on Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining
- Oct 11, 2015.
Top 5 arXiv Deep Learning Papers, Explained; 5 steps to actually learn data science; 90+ Active Blogs on Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, Data Science, Machine Learning; Does Deep Learning Come from the Devil?
- KDD Cup 2016 Call for Proposals
- Oct 10, 2015.
ACM SIGKDD Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (KDD) 2016 is being held in San Francisco, California, from August 13-17, 2016. KDD is currently inviting KDD Cup competition proposals at this time.
- ASA says Statistics is Foundational to Data Science
- Oct 9, 2015.
ASA cites statistics as one of three foundational communities in data science and emphasizes the importance of collaboration among all field’s key disciplines.
- Top stories in September: 60+ Free Books on Big Data, Data Science; The one language a Data Scientist must master
- Oct 8, 2015.
60+ Free Books on Big Data, Data Science, Data Mining, Machine Learning; The one language a Data Scientist must master; Top 20 Data Science MOOCs; 30 best Harvard Business Review articles on Big Data.
- Top /r/MachineLearning Posts, September: Implement a neural network from scratch in C++
- Oct 6, 2015.
Neural network in C++ for beginners, Chinese character handwriting recognition beats humans, a handy machine learning algorithm cheat sheet, neural nets versus functional programming, and a neural nets paper repository.
- Top stories for Sep 27 – Oct 3: Top 5 arXiv Deep Learning Papers, Explained; 30 best HBR articles on Big Data, Data Science
- Oct 4, 2015.
Top 5 arXiv Deep Learning Papers, Explained; 30 Can't miss Harvard Business Review articles on Data Science, Big Data and Analytics; Data Lake vs Data Warehouse: Key Differences.
- HeroX Integra Gold Rush Data Science Challenge
- Oct 3, 2015.
The Integra Gold Rush Challenge invites people from around the world, from any background to analyze this data and win prizes totaling CAD $1 million.
- September Academic Positions in Business Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science, Machine Learning
- Oct 2, 2015.
Postdoc at Vanderbilt and Uni. Passau, Research Associates at Aalto and Johannes Gutenberg U, Researchers in Singapore, Faculty at USFCA and Syracuse, and more.