KDnuggets™ News 15:n02, Jan 14: Research Leaders on key trends, top papers; Exclusive NYTimes interview
Research Leaders on Data Mining key trends, top papers; Exclusive Interview with NYTimes Chief Data Scientist; Majority thinks AI not a threat; Cartoon: Hello, Singularity; Deep Learning in a Nutshell; How to make Privacy and Data Mining Compatible; ClearStory Data CEO on Collaborative Storyboards.
Features | Software | Opinions | Interviews | Reports | News | Courses | Meetings | Jobs | Academic | Tweets | CFP | Quote
- Research Leaders on Data Mining, Data Science, and Big Data key trends, top papers - Jan 9, 2015.
We asked global research leaders in Data Science and Big Data what are the most interesting research papers/advances of 2014 and what are the key trends they see in 2015. Here are their answers.
- Exclusive: Interview with Chris Wiggins, NYTimes Chief Data Scientist - Jan 13, 2015.
New York Times Chief Data Scientist Chris Wiggins on the transformation of digital journalism, key Data Science skills, favorite tools, why better wrong than nice, and how Thomas Jefferson is very relevant today.
- Majority thinks Artificial Intelligence will not be a threat to Humanity - Jan 7, 2015.
The plurality of 48% in latest KDnuggets poll say Artificial Intelligence will not be a threat to Humanity, but really interesting and scary questions have been raised - perhaps humanity is a threat to progress?
- Cartoon: Hello, Singularity - Jan 11, 2015.
New KDnuggets cartoon takes a look at what can happen when Artificial Intelligence (AI) achieves Singularity.
- Deep Learning in a Nutshell - what it is, how it works, why care? - Jan 12, 2015.
Deep learning and neural networks are increasingly important concepts in computer science with great strides being made by large companies like Google and startups like DeepMind.
- Differential Privacy: How to make Privacy and Data Mining Compatible - Jan 9, 2015.
Can privacy coexist with machine learning and data mining? Differential privacy allows the learning of general characteristics of populations while guaranteeing the privacy of individual records.
- Interview: Sharmila Mulligan, ClearStory Data on Collaborative StoryBoards for Big Data - Jan 8, 2015.
We discuss the founding story of ClearStory Data, progress since its launch, Collaborative StoryBoards, common pain points in business analytics and data harmonization.
Software (see also All Software )
- Lityx seeks to align with analytic individuals looking to have their own business - Jan 12, 2015.
Lityx Analytics Network seeks to bring together experienced analysts and provides the tools and support for them to run their own analytics business.
Opinions (see also All Opinions for this month )
- Predictions: 2015 Analytics and Data Science Hiring Market - Jan 13, 2015.
Thanks to Big Data, analytics have become inescapable. Forget the C-Suite if you're not a Data Geek, recruiting for startups gets harder, analytics salary bands get a lift, and more 2015 predictions.
- Fundamental methods of Data Science: Classification, Regression And Similarity Matching - Jan 12, 2015.
Data classification, regression, and similarity matching underpin many of the fundamental algorithms in data science to solve business problems like consumer response prediction and product recommendation.
- Debunking Big Data Myths. Again - Jan 11, 2015.
Myths change with understanding. Misunderstandings on some of the current myths surrounding big data as follows will fade away: big data is made for big business, big data adoption is high and machine learning overcomes human bias.
- AI Says Data Scientists Not So Sexy in 2015 - Jan 10, 2015.
In 2015, democratization of data will become the democratization of information, data-hoarding era will be end and artificial intelligence will step into the mainstream.
Interviews (see also All Interviews for this month )
- Interview: Miriah Meyer, Univ. of Utah on the Art and Science of Visualization - Jan 12, 2015.
We discuss insights from the best paper at ACM AVI 2014, increasing interest in visualization, infographics, trends, challenges, advice and more.
- Interview: Sharmila Mulligan, ClearStory Data on Variety & Velocity to be Big Data Priorities - Jan 10, 2015.
We discuss the ClearStory Data's competitive differentiation, client use case, Big Data trends, advice, desired soft skills in data scientists and more.
Reports (see also All Reports for this month )
- Predictive Analytics Innovation Summit, Chicago - Day 2 Highlights - Jan 9, 2015.
Highlights from the presentations by Predictive Analytics leaders from Time Warner Cable, AT&T and Verizon on day 2 of Predictive Analytics Innovation Summit 2014 in Chicago.
News (see also All News )
- 10 Big Data Experts to Know - Jan 13, 2015.
High-power executives, experts, and entrepreneurs shape the future of the big data market, making them necessary knowledge for anyone in the know in the industry.
- Top KDnuggets Analytics, Big Data, Data Science stories in 2014, updated - Jan 11, 2015.
Top KDnuggets stories in 2014 had several themes - Deep Learning; Data Scientist career, education, and salary; IBM Watson; Resources for learning Data Science, especially R and Python, and polls on what are most popular analytics/data mining software & languages.
- December 2014 Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining Acquisitions and Startups Activity - Jan 12, 2015.
December 2014 acquisitions, startups, and company activity in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science: Scaled Inference, Pulse Energy, Mixpanel, Oracle buys Datalogix, Hortonworks IPO, MSFT buys HockeyApp, Brandwatch buys PeerIndex, MetaMind launches.
- Top stories for Jan 4-10: 11 Clever Methods of Overfitting; Research Leaders on Data Science and Big Data - Jan 11, 2015.
11 Clever Methods of Overfitting and how to avoid them; Causation vs Correlation: Visualization, Statistics, and Intuition; Research Leaders on Data Science and Big Data key trends, top papers; Differential Privacy: How to make Privacy and Data Mining Compatible.
- PAN Competition 2015: Plagiarism Detection, Author ID, Author Profiling - Jan 8, 2015.
Take part in one of 3 tasks: Plagiarism Detection - given a document, is it an original? Author Identification - given a document, who wrote it? Author Profiling - given a document, what is author age / gender?
Courses (see also All Courses )
- TMA Predictive Analytics, Data Mining Training [Orlando, Feb | Las Vegas, May] - Jan 13, 2015.
Successful analytics in the big data era does not start with data and software, but with hands-on, immersive training and goal-driven strategy - get it from The Modeling Agency in Orlando (Feb), Las Vegas (Apr), or Washington DC (May).
- Info Kit: Statistics, Predictive Modeling and Data Mining with JMP - Jan 13, 2015.
Find out how to challenge assumptions, spot patterns and reveal potential solutions to problems that otherwise would not be visible. Register for this complimentary info kit.
- Wharton Online Course: Strategic Value of Customer Relationships - Jan 13, 2015.
During an 8-week online program (Mar 2 - Apr 26) taught by Wharton marketing professor Peter Fader, learn how to decipher the streams of customer data flowing into your company.
- INFORMS Analytics and Data Science Education - Jan 12, 2015.
Upcoming INFORMS continuing education courses offer training in Essential Skills for Analytics Professionals, Data Exploration & Visualization, Modern Predictive Analytics, and Monte Carlo and Discrete-Event Simulation.
- Coursera / Stanford Mining Massive Datasets MOOC, Jan-Mar 2015 - Jan 12, 2015.
Don't miss! Top Stanford researchers teach efficient and scalable methods for extracting models and other information from very large amounts of data. Next session of this great course starts Jan 31 on Coursera and is free.
- PACE Data Mining Boot Camps, San Diego, Feb 10-11 - Jan 10, 2015.
San Diego Supercomputing Center PACE (Predictive Analytics Center of Excellence) excels at delivering practical, hands-on training in a small classroom setting. Attend next data mining boot camp is Feb 10-11.
- Wharton Workshop: Bringing Customer Lifetime Value to Life, Feb 19-20, Philadelphia - Jan 10, 2015.
Predicting how much profit can be generated from a future relationship with a customer is extremely important. This workshop will teach how do this important analysis.
- Learning Data Science and Predictive Modeling at Your Own Pace - A Free Online Video Series - Jan 8, 2015.
A twenty part video training series on Predictive Modeling, offering the Rapid Insight and the concepts behind the predictive models.
Meetings (see also All Meetings )
- World experts will meet for first Deep Learning Summit in San Francisco, Jan 29-30 - Jan 9, 2015.
The Deep Learning Summit is a unique opportunity to meet influential data scientists, technologists, world-leading researchers, entrepreneurs and data engineers. KDnuggets discount.
Jobs (see also All Jobs )
- Amazon: Research Scientist - Jan 13, 2015.
Join an innovative team of scientists who use machine learning and statistical techniques to keep Amazon the safest and most trusted place to shop online.
- Digital Shadows (London): Data Scientist - Jan 10, 2015.
Digital Shadows is award winning start-up providing innovative cyber monitoring services to high profile organisations. We have ambitious growth plan and want to recruit a senior data scientist to implement our data analytics strategy.
- Reflection: Data Scientist - Jan 8, 2015.
Join our growing team in the heart of Soho, London and use big data and statistics to help deliver a powerful intelligence product to the app development community.
Academic and Research positions (see also All Academic positions )
- DataScienceTech (France): Lecturer, Data Science - Jan 7, 2015.
Looking for academics with industry experience or professional practitioners with teaching experience for modules of 20 to 30 hours of teaching, or for shorter seminars, on a specific theme.
- University of Kansas (KU): Postdoc research position, Machine Learning and Data Mining - Jan 7, 2015.
Join our efforts to advance machine learning and data mining for better modeling of large amounts of data from scientific domains. Knowledge of biological or pharmaceutical data and HPC and cloud computing is a plus.
Top Tweets (see also All top tweets for this month )
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jan 5-11 - Jan 12, 2015.
New book: Data Driven:
Creating a Data Culture, by top #DataScience experts;
#DeepLearning in a Nutshell: what it is, how does it work, and why;
Programming languages popularity by US state;
4 ways to identify the best #data #tools.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jan 7-8 - Jan 9, 2015.
Programming languages popularity by US state;
Why Ayasdi Topological Data Analysis Works - real data frequently is nonlinear;
Learning Data Science and Predictive Modeling at Your Own Pace;
Great talk: Machine Learning best practices from Kaggle competitions.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jan 5-6 - Jan 7, 2015.
Great post: #DeepLearning in a Nutshell: what it is, how does it work, and why care;
#BigData is visualized in so many ways...;
Review of @deanabb book "Applied Predictive Analytics" ;
Free Predictive Modeling Education Videos - Learn #DataScience at your own pace.
CFP - Calls for Papers (see also All Calls for Papers )
- Due Jan 23, DBKDA 2015, The Seventh Int. Conf. on Advances in Databases, Knowledge, and Data Applications , Rome, Italy. May 24-29, 2015.
- Due Jan 30, 9th European Conf. on Data Mining 2015 , Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain. 22-24 July 2015
- Due Feb 28, Open Data Science Conf. , Boston, MA, USA. May 30-31, 2015.
- Due Mar 2, Workshops: The European Conf. on Machine Learning and Principles and Practice of Knowledge Discovery in Databases (ECMLPKDD) , Porto, Portugal. Sep 7-11, 2015
- Due Mar 2, Tutorials: The European Conf. on Machine Learning and Principles and Practice of Knowledge Discovery in Databases (ECMLPKDD) , Porto, Portugal. Sep 7-11, 2015
- Due Apr 2, The European Conf. on Machine Learning and Principles and Practice of Knowledge Discovery in Databases (ECMLPKDD) - INDUSTRIAL, GOVERNMENTAL & NON-GOVERNMENTAL PROCEEDINGS TRACK , Porto, Portugal. Sep 7-11, 2015
- Due Apr 2, The European Conf. on Machine Learning and Principles and Practice of Knowledge Discovery in Databases (ECMLPKDD) - RESEARCH PROCEEDINGS TRACK , Porto, Portugal. Sep 7-11, 2015
- Due May 8, The Fourteenth Int. Symposium on Intelligent Data Analysis (IDA 2015) , Saint-Etienne, France. Oct 22-24, 2015.
Quotebetter wrong than "nice", Chris H. Wiggins, NYTimes Chief Data Scientist,, KDnuggets interview
Top Stories Past 30 Days