KDnuggets™ News 15:n04, Feb 4: Top Big Data Influencers; A Common Mistake with Time Series; Ayasdi
Top Big Data Influencers and Brands; K-means clustering is not a free lunch; Avoiding a Common Mistake with Time Series; Ayasdi: Managing Data Complexity through Topology; Big Data Could Revolutionize Healthcare.
Features | Software | Opinions | Interviews | News | Webcasts | Meetings | Jobs | Tweets | CFP | Quote
- Top Big Data Influencers and Brands - Feb 2, 2015.
Top Big Data influencers and brands on Twitter, selected by Onalytica based on the Pagerank analysis of Twitter graph.
- Data Science 102: K-means clustering is not a free lunch - Jan 29, 2015.
K-means is a widely used method in cluster analysis, but what are its underlying assumptions and drawbacks? We examine what happens for non-spherical data and unevenly sized clusters.
- Avoiding a Common Mistake with Time Series - Feb 2, 2015.
We explore a common mistake in analyzing relationships between time series, and show how de-trending helps to avoid this error.
- Interview: Anthony Bak, Ayasdi on Managing Data Complexity through Topology - Jan 28, 2015.
We discuss the definition of Topology, its relevance to Big Data and compare Topological Data Analysis (TDA) with other approaches.
- Big Data Could Revolutionize Healthcare. Will We Let it? - Jan 31, 2015.
The power to access and analyze enormous data sets can improve our ability to anticipate and treat illnesses. The benefits for society are just too great, and they won't be ignored for long.
- Don't Miss Strata Hadoop World, San Jose, Feb 17-20, 2015 - Jan 29, 2015.
Strata + Hadoop World will be San Jose, Feb 17-20, and if you don't act fast, you may miss it. New venue, 250 speakers, In-person AMA, great events lineup. Special KDnuggets discount.
Software (see also All Software )
- Comics Recommendations: "Tinder for Comics" built with Tapastic and PredictionIO - Feb 2, 2015.
Here is how we built a cool demo of recommending comics, using PredictionIO new Similar Product Template and dataset provided by Tapastic.
Opinions (see also All Opinions for this month )
- Why unsupervised learning is more robust to adversarial distortions - Jan 30, 2015.
Yoshua Bengio, a leading expert on Deep Learning, explains why good unsupervised learning should be much more robust to adversarial distortions than supervised learning.
- Year 2014 in Review as Seen by a Event Detection System - Jan 29, 2015.
We examine the significant events of 2014 found by event/trend detection tool Signi-Trend, including Sochi, Ukraine and Russia, Malaysian airlines, and Islamic State (ISIS).
Interviews (see also All Interviews for this month )
- Interview: Rachel Hawley, SAS on the Quest for Agile Analytics - Feb 3, 2015.
We discuss Agile Analytics, moving from traditional Analytics to Agile, challenges in operationalizing Analytics, SAS Enterprise Decision Management and SAS In-Memory Statistics.
- Interview: Eli Collins, Cloudera on Evolution and Future of Big Data Ecosystem - Feb 2, 2015.
We discuss the change in Big Data priorities, risks, Big Data ecosystem, rise of data culture in organizations, challenges, advice and more.
- Interview: Anthony Bak, Ayasdi on How to Get Started on Topology - Jan 30, 2015.
We discuss the best resources to learn Topology, career motivation, important qualities sought in data scientists and more.
- Interview: Anthony Bak, Ayasdi on Novel Insights using Topological Summaries - Jan 29, 2015.
We discuss examples of Topological Data Analysis (TDA) revealing new insights, recommended approach for creating Topological Summaries, Manual vs Automation approach and trends.
News (see also All News )
- Top stories for Jan 25-31: (Deep Learning Deep Flaws) Deep Flaws; Text Analysis 101: Document Classification - Feb 1, 2015.
(Deep Learning Deep Flaws) Deep Flaws; Text Analysis 101: Document Classification; Interview: Anthony Bak, Ayasdi on Managing Data Complexity through Topology.
- Additions to KDnuggets Directory in January - Feb 1, 2015.
53 new meetings, Silicon Valley Data Science, BayeSniffer, Data Science education in Paris and Nice, bootcamps in NYC, fraud detection solutions and more.
- BioEye 2015 - Competition on Biometrics via Eye Movements - Jan 30, 2015.
The BioEye 2015 competition is giving an opportunity to scientists and researchers to use a large, high quality database of eye movements and advance the field of eye movement biometrics.
Webcasts and Webinars (see also All Webcasts and Webinars )
- Webinar: Data Mining: Failure to Launch [Feb 10] - Feb 3, 2015.
Learn how to get started with predictive modeling and overcome strategic and tactical limitations that cause data mining projects to fall short of their potential. Next webinar is Feb 10.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science - Feb 3 and beyond - Feb 2, 2015.
SAP HANA Launch event, Analytics/Data Science Hiring Market, Platfora, Data Mining: Failure To Launch, 3 Ways to Improve your Regression, BigML 2015 Winter Release, and more.
- BigML machine learning platform Winter 2015 Release, Feb 11 - Feb 2, 2015.
See the latest in BigML's continuously evolved machine learning platform with its emphasis on consumability, programmability, and scalability. Feb 11 webinar at 9 am PT and 5 pm PT.
- Webinar: The Pragmatic Text Miner, Feb 11 - Jan 29, 2015.
Learn about text mining of biomedical literature, challenges in building large collections, and how bioinformatics professionals can overcome those challenges.
Meetings (see also All Meetings )
- Gartner Business Intelligence & Analytics Summit, Las Vegas, Mar 30 - Apr 1 - Feb 3, 2015.
Learn how to remaster your skills to deliver the analytic advantage your organization needs in the digital age in order to succeed, get new best practices and leading-edge strategies. KDnuggets discount.
- PASS Business Analytics Conference, Santa Clara, Apr 20-22 - Feb 3, 2015.
Set yourself apart with world-class analytics training in 60+ sessions at the PASS Business Analytics Conference. Special KDnuggets discount.
- Upcoming Feb - July 2015 Meetings in Analytics, Big Data, Mining, Data Science - Feb 2, 2015.
Coming soon: Strata + Hadoop World (San Jose), TDWI (Las Vegas), MLDAS (Qatar), TDWI Solution Summit (Savannah), GigaOM Structure (NYC), Chief Data Strategy (Boston), Gartner BI&Analytics (LV), PAW/TAW (SF), PASS (Santa Clara) and more.
Jobs (see also All Jobs )
- ZocDoc: Engineering Manager, Data Engineering - Feb 3, 2015.
Run Data Engineering team to create a hardcore data and analytics infrastructure for our business - working with our teams of data scientists and business analysts to transform data into information enabling the next generation of ZocDoc insight and products.
- Schwab: Senior Manager, Marketing Analytics - Jan 31, 2015.
Help develop analytics learning agendas and optimize marketing strategies through measurement feedback loops; work with statisticians, data engineers, marketing/media teams, and external vendors to deliver insights and solutions.
- Booking: Senior Data Scientist - Jan 30, 2015.
Work with stakeholders throughout the company to generate understanding, strategy and suggest actions based on data. Be hands on, but also coach junior co-workers and do some management.
- ExxonMobil Research and Engineering: Data Analytics / Machine Learning - Jan 30, 2015.
Conduct fundamental research in machine learning, statistics, signal processing and optimization and apply them to large-scale problems in physics, chemical and engineering data sets and models.
- Collective[i]: Data Scientist - Jan 28, 2015.
Work on our first-of-its-kind sales analytics platform, which combines a proprietary, always-learning network with data-driven, predictive applications.
Top Tweets (see also All top tweets for this month )
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jan 26 - Feb 1 - Feb 2, 2015.
Good list of #MachineLearning Resources, #DeepLearning, Graphical Models;
Sample #MachineLearning solutions with R on #Azure ML Marketplace #rstats;
Decision Tree Algorithms: comparing Gini Index, Chi-Square, Information Gain;
Cartoon: Lets solve 2+4=? first, worry about #DataMining Later.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jan 28-29 - Jan 30, 2015.
Useful list: Top 50 open source web #crawlers for data mining;
Listen to Edward Tufte, guru of Data #Visualization, on how to see data;
Not too sexy: Data Scientist is only n. 9 in Glassdoor 10 best jobs;
When not analyzing #BigData, I am enjoying the Big Snow.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jan 26-27 - Jan 28, 2015.
Sample #MachineLearning solutions with R on #Azure ML Marketplace;
xkcd explains P-Values: from Highly Significant to cr*p;
Why you should learn R first for #datascience;
Useful: 14 Data #Visualization Tools to Tell Better Stories.
CFP - Calls for Papers (see also All Calls for Papers )
- Due Feb 4, SDM 2015 Doctoral Forum (Call for Application) , The SIAM Data Mining 2015 Doctoral Forum, Vancouver, Canada. Apr 30 - May 2.
- Due Feb 10, The 1st Int. Workshop on Personality and Affect in Multimedia Retrieval (PAMUR) at ICMR 2015 , Shanghai, China, Jun 23, 2015
- Due Feb 20, KDD-2015: ACM SIGKDD Conf. on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining , Sydney, Australia. Aug 10-13, 2015
- Due Mar 6, KDD-2015 workshop proposals for ACM SIGKDD Conf. on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining , Sydney, Australia. Aug 10-13, 2015
- Due Mar 21, IEEE Conf. on Visual Analytics Science and Technology (IEEE VAST 2015), Journal and Conference paper tracks , Chicago, IL, USA. Oct 25-30, 2015
- Due Mar 30, Special Issue on Big Data: Deal with Information Fusion , Guest Editors: Nitesh Chawla, Dong Wang
- Due Mar 31, Second Workshop on Synergies between Multiagent Systems, Machine Learning and Complex Systems (TRI 2015) , at IJCAI-15 Buenos Aires, Argentina. Jul 25-27 2015
- Due Jun 30, BAFI 2015 - Business Analytics for Finance and Industry , Santiago, Chile. Dec 14-16, 2015
- Due Jun 30, Special issue on *Big Data in Education* of THESTE - Themes in Science and Technology Education , Guest editor: Renato P. dos Santos